This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The VDT in 3D Poll

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

How do you feel about VDT being released in 3D?

I'm happy it will be in 3D and will definitely see it in 3D on opening weekend.
30%
I'm happy it will be in 3D, but I'll see it in 2D first.
37%
I'm not happy it will be released in 3D, but I'll probably see it in 3D anyways to support the movie.
13%
I'm not happy it will be released in 3D and I won't see it in 3D.
10%
Can't decide.
10%

Total votes : 117

The VDT in 3D Poll

Postby fantasia » Mar 23, 2010 12:53 pm

Ok, so, VDT will be in 3D after all. What are your thoughts on that?
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Re: The VDT in 3D Poll

Postby narnian1 » Mar 23, 2010 1:10 pm

I'm the first to vote that I am happy and will see it in 3D opening weekend.
With the other two I was totally taken in, this time even more so that it will have depth to it.

I love the idea, primarily because I know there *won't* be any gimmicks to it.
narnian1
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby 7chronicles » Mar 23, 2010 1:12 pm

I was so against VDT in 3D and then the more I thought about it the more I realized, Why I'm I making such a big deal about it! :-o I can still see it in 2D, and 3D! It doesn’t matter, in fact it's better! :D
With Tron coming out a week later in 3D, I think it is a very smart move by Fox to make VDT 3D! :ymapplause:
I'll see it in 2D at midnight, then wake up and see it in 3D! I can't lose! :ymapplause: :p ;) :D
Besides the more money the better the chance Silver Chair gets Green lit! So I'm total good with it! :D :D :D :D

The Value of myth is that it takes all the things you know and restores to them the rich significance which has been hidden by the veil of familiarity. C.S. Lewis
7chronicles
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby narnian1 » Mar 23, 2010 1:16 pm

the 3D was the smartest move Fox could have made, this Holiday as the article mentioned is filled with 3D movies: Potter, Tangled, Tron- and they are all within weeks of each other. Had they not upped to 3D VDT could just have been lost in the shuffle, since people seem to be in a 3D mood as of late, myself included.
narnian1
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby CorazonBandido55 » Mar 23, 2010 1:20 pm

Based on the previous article's estimated cost of $100,000 per minute, that will mean that 3D conversion will add an additional $15-20 million to the movie's budget. So suddently, a $150 million budget movie becomes $170 million. Yikes! Its not so much the 3D conversion that worries me, but the budget increase. That would mean that VDT would now have to make as much as Prince Caspian just to break even. Entirely possible, given the higher costs of 3D tickets, but still worrisome. I guess Fox knows what they are doing. And I hope it works out.
your fellow Telmarine
CorazonBandido55
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby starkat » Mar 23, 2010 1:29 pm

I'm happy about the 3D, but I won't go see it in 3D. I'm pretty motion sensitive and things like roller coasters and 3D movies and my stomach don't get along well. I just can't handle the additional motion.
starkat

Postby Bother Eustace » Mar 23, 2010 1:31 pm

The budget increase worries me a bit too, CorazonBandido55. Releasing VDT in 3D could very well increase box office enough to cover it and more, which would be really great. I just hope it looks good enough in 3D to pay for itself.
I think I would prefer to see it in 2D first; but a lot of people in my family love 3D movies, so we may see that first. *shrugs* I just hope this works well! After all, this decision may turn out to be a great one, or a poor one. Let's hope it's a great one.
"Of course we've got to find him (if we can). That's the nuisance of it. It means a search party and endless trouble. Bother Eustace." ~ Caspian, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
Sig: lover of narnia
Bother Eustace
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Talking Rat » Mar 23, 2010 1:33 pm

I certainly hope this will help VDT make more money, but I think it will at least keep them from losing money. I think pretty soon having a movie in only 2D is going to be like having it in black and white-- it worked back then, but if you do it now, you're way behind the times... (We're not here yet, but I think we're pretty close).

Personally, I loved Avatar's 3D, so I'm excited to see how VDT turns out in 3D. Unless we here from sneak previews that the 3D is terrible, I'll probably see it in 3D opening night. :)
He's not a tame lion, but he's good.
Av by hyaline12
Talking Rat
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Gymfan15 » Mar 23, 2010 1:41 pm

Well, I'm a little conflicted at the moment. On one hand, I've been a long-time protester of 3-D movies in general; I just don't personally like them. But then I saw Alice in 3-D a week ago, and I have to say that my perception of 3-D films has changed slightly. I thought Alice was tastefully done; not gimicky or cheap at all. If VdT's 3-D could be like that, I would have no complaints.

But then again, Alice was filmed for 3-D, whereas VdT was not. I'm just afraid that in the conversion process, VdT is going to come out looking cheap. VdT desperately needs to be taken seriously, and I'm afraid that 3-D is not going to help in that regard.

I suppose we shall just have to wait and see...
Gymfan15
Moderator Emeritus
Giver of Prestigious NarniaWeb Taglines™

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Mar 23, 2010 1:51 pm

ahh! I should have known it would happen.....
well, I'm not totally upset, but I'm not thrilled either.
I don't want to see it in 3D because it would ruin the movie for me. ;)
argh.
but oh well, at least all movies that are in 3D are also in 2D......
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Mar 23, 2010 2:02 pm

Okay, I'm going to sound like a complete idiot here but keep in mind I rarely go to the movies. What exactly is the difference between a 2D and 3D movie? I might have seen a 3D movie once but that was awhile ago. Does 3D just mean things jump out at the audience? Do they have to have two versions of the movie for people to see it in 2D and 3D? In other words, can one person watch the movie in 3D with glasses and the person next to them watch it in 2D? Are 3D movies released in 2D for DVDs?
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Mar 23, 2010 2:14 pm

Pattertwigs Pal wrote:Okay, I'm going to sound like a complete idiot here but keep in mind I rarely go to the movies. What exactly is the difference between a 2D and 3D movie? I might have seen a 3D movie once but that was awhile ago. Does 3D just mean things jump out at the audience? Do they have to have two versions of the movie for people to see it in 2D and 3D? In other words, can one person watch the movie in 3D with glasses and the person next to them watch it in 2D? Are 3D movies released in 2D for DVDs?

3D movies are ones where the viewer watches the movie with special 3D glasses.
2D movies are the ones that are all over the place and on DVD.
a person can't watch a movie in 3D next to a person watching in 2D! a 3D movie is only seen in 3D. same for a 2D. I hope that helps! :)
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master

Postby 7chronicles » Mar 23, 2010 2:15 pm

Pattertwigs Pal wrote:Okay, I'm going to sound like a complete idiot here but keep in mind I rarely go to the movies. What exactly is the difference between a 2D and 3D movie? I might have seen a 3D movie once but that was awhile ago. Does 3D just mean things jump out at the audience? Do they have to have two versions of the movie for people to see it in 2D and 3D? In other words, can one person watch the movie in 3D with glasses and the person next to them watch it in 2D? Are 3D movies released in 2D for DVDs?

Your not an idiot Pattertwigs Pal! :-o :) With all the talk of 2D, 3D, and even 4D it can all get really confusing!
Yes 3D is just when thing pop out of the screen. If you go to a 3D movie you have to keep the glasses on, if you take them off the screen looks all funny because of the way they convert the film.

When 3D movies are released on DVD there are usually two separate releases one that’s 2D the other 3D.

Basically it's your choice: if you see it in 3D you keep the glass on and the screen pops out at you.

If you see it in 2D it's how every movie in the past has been.

Hope that helps. :)

The Value of myth is that it takes all the things you know and restores to them the rich significance which has been hidden by the veil of familiarity. C.S. Lewis
7chronicles
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Bother Eustace » Mar 23, 2010 2:16 pm

Gymfan15 wrote:I'm just afraid that in the conversion process, VdT is going to come out looking cheap. VdT desperately needs to be taken seriously, and I'm afraid that 3-D is not going to help in that regard.

That's sort of what I'm worried about too; the last thing I want is for people to say, "Wow, they made it 3D just to get people to watch it." Like the movie couldn't have worked by itself. I just don't want it to seem stupid in 3D; but if it looks great, I'll be very happy.

Pattertwigs Pal, 3D basically means you wear some glasses and the movie seems in-depth; that means both 'jumping-out' effects and 'sinking-in', so to speak. As for your other question, no, it's not really advisable to watch a 3D version in 2D; if you don't wear the glasses, things look fuzzy and sort of double-visioned; plus, the tickets for a 3D movie are more expensive than 2D movies. They usually release movies in both 3D and 2D formats while in theaters. And, yes, 3D movies are usually released 2D when they come out on DVD. For a lot of movies, that's a big problem; while in theaters their main draw is the 3D effects, and then once the DVD is stripped of that you're left with a lousy movie. That's why I'm glad VDT wasn't originally intended to be 3D; the 2D version is made to stand on it's own, without 3D effects.
"Of course we've got to find him (if we can). That's the nuisance of it. It means a search party and endless trouble. Bother Eustace." ~ Caspian, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
Sig: lover of narnia
Bother Eustace
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Mar 23, 2010 2:24 pm

Bother Eustace wrote:
Gymfan15 wrote:I'm just afraid that in the conversion process, VdT is going to come out looking cheap. VdT desperately needs to be taken seriously, and I'm afraid that 3-D is not going to help in that regard.

That's sort of what I'm worried about too; the last thing I want is for people to say, "Wow, they made it 3D just to get people to watch it." Like the movie couldn't have worked by itself. I just don't want it to seem stupid in 3D; but if it looks great, I'll be very happy.

Bother Eusatce: yeah, I am also worried that it will look stupid! I hope they aren't doing it in 3D to make more money! hopefully they just decided to do it.....

Gymfan15: I agree. VotDT is a very serious story and should be taken seriously! at least they didn't film it for 3D.....but it could look silly all the same. argh! I hope that this one, of all of the Narnia movies, comes off well. it's my favorite Narnia story and I have been waiting for years to see it done properly! I hope they won't ruin it.
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master

Postby AJAiken » Mar 23, 2010 2:27 pm

I'm quite excited about this. I enjoy the 3D effect! And, unlike with "Avatar" where I think the technology kind of distracted from the plot (what little plot there was) I reckon VDT will probably be a bit more like "Up", where I found the 3D to be nice and subtle, helping the story rather than taking away from it. I think it could be really cool!

Hey - this might mean a 3D trailer in front of another 3D film! :D
AJAiken
Moderator Emeritus

Next