This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Report on New York Preview Event *Big Plot Spoilers*

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

Re: Report on New York Preview Event *Big Plot Spoilers*

Postby Bookwyrm » Sep 29, 2010 2:25 am

ComingSoon wrote:The movie begins with a shot of a castle with a lion motif which might make you think that we're in Narnia, but the plane flying overhead immediately clues us in that we're in England, and from the attire, we can tell that it's in the '30s, presumably just as WWII is starting.

Someone might want to review their knowledge of WWII history. :P ;))
Bookwyrm
Moderator Emeritus
Lord of the Little Ponies

Postby decarus » Sep 29, 2010 4:55 am

Yeah I just assumed they were incorrect about the year.

We know that the blitz happened in LWW and it is at least two years later so the year is probably 1942 or 43, but whatever.
There are no clouds in the sky. There is only the open sun and the Lord watches.
decarus
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby adamie » Sep 29, 2010 5:05 am

glumPuddle wrote:In the book, Caspian is looking for the seven lords out of a sense of responsibility. In the movie, apparently it's to save Narnia from the dark island.

You're wrong!
-they messed up how this film is NOT about saving Narnia, and to stop the white witch from returning (again!!!), but about adventure and discovery = correct.

-They changed Caspian his motives for this journey, and with that they changed his character = wrong!

We know that when Caspian first meets the pevensies in the film, he is surprised, because they weren't called, nor needed. This means that, when he left Narnia, He was trying to regain the honor his family lost, by searching for the Seven swords. Only while on this journey, he learns he needs to save Narnia.

So, No, they did not mess his character up.
click the image.
adamie
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Malfhok » Sep 29, 2010 5:12 am

I don't have time to read the whole thread, so please forgive me if somebody has already posted something like this…

In response to Glumpuddle's comments about how the core of the story has been lost if the voyage is to save Narnia:

I just remembered that in the first trailer, Edmund wonders why they were brought to Narnia, if there are no wars. Also, from one of these reports on the screening, we now know that Caspian tells them that he didn't summon them.

If the White Witch (or Dark Island) was threatening Narnia when Caspian set out, I think, given Prince Caspian (the movie) that to be consistent, they'd want to have him blow the horn.

Since he didn't summon the Pevensies, I think that Caspian likely set out with the initial intention of merely rescuing the lost lords, but when Coriakin lets him know about The Unfathomable Fate, he adds that to the agenda.
Malfhok
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby starkat » Sep 29, 2010 5:40 am

Makes sense to me Malfhok. I didn't read the story in depth 'cause I'm trying to minimize spoilers, but that theory puts a lot of the stuff I skimmed over in that story into context. It would add a sense of urgency and it all depends on how the writers wove in the additional storyline.

I refuse to draw a conclusion until I actually see the movie. We still don't have enough information. We now have more info, but I'm with coracle. These aren't necessarily people as familiar with the books as we are. They were also shown clips and not 30 min of the movie in a linear fashion. So there is still some information missing.

I therefore remain neutral in my opinion. ;)) At least until Dec. 10th.
starkat

Postby adamie » Sep 29, 2010 5:40 am

Malfhok wrote:Since he didn't summon the Pevensies, I think that Caspian likely set out with the initial intention of merely rescuing the lost lords, but when Coriakin lets him know about The Unfathomable Fate, he adds that to the agenda.

that's what I meant, thank you! What I also want to notice is that, maybe the unfathomable fate isn't the return of the white witch. It probably is, but think about the source. They might have shown some of the WW scene, after which they told the audience that The crew of the DT has to prevent the dark island from growing further. Maybe the reporter just assumed that the dark Island 'contains' the white witch, because that's what he saw in the footage, and what they actually showed was Edmund's worst nightmare.

Dunno if this makes any sense, but it is always possible! Just keep hoping!
click the image.
adamie
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Lirenel » Sep 29, 2010 8:53 am

OK, I'm a little calmer now. At first I thought that they had completely ruined the entire thing, but I decided to think about it logically. That is:

This is a second-hand report.

The people who saw the clips, as mentioned previously, might have misconstrued things. Even the interview with Apted could be confused, as he might have simplified things to the point that it changes. There seem to be inconsistencies throughout the whole report and interview, so I'm going to try and trust that things are going to turn out alright.

However, I really hope that Aslan doesn't give them a choice to either go to His country or return to England. That defeats the whole point of the ending of VODT, where Aslan says that they must go to His country through their own world. If they change that, I will be very upset.
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

My overview of VODT: http://lady-lirenel.livejournal.com/151965.html
Lirenel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby joy93 » Sep 29, 2010 9:33 am

DamselJillPole wrote:
Bookwyrm wrote:
DamselJillPole wrote:Come on people who cares if Edmund might have a crush on Lilliandil. He's a guy who is 14 or 15, all guys would be lovestruck at any girl at that age.

And this is different from Caspian being lovestruck over Susan how exactly?

It's different because Caspian and Susan both acknowledged their glances yet said no devotions on how they felt. At least Caspian is making an effort with Lilliandil first telling her how she looks the "Most beautiful" and then Lilliandil makes a remark about distractions and is prompting to form into her star self or something and then both Caspian/Edmund shout 'No!' The glances that Caspian and Edmund gave each other could be the only thing that the person who wrote this story got mixed up with. Perhaps it's not jealous/annoying glances, maybe Caspian and Edmund only glanced in a "You Ginx" sort of way or Edmund going "oh okay, Caspian likes her so I probably shouldn't stand in the way". How are we to judge this scene without seeing a lot anyways? I don't think anything will happen between Edmund and Lilliandil anyways considering her character may be along the lines of Caspian's age. 8-| whatever.

Your probably right ;) I was exstatic when i fist read the Ramandus Island part!!!!!!! So i am agreeing with you on that we dont know if the glance Caspian and Edmund made was an annoying one ar something else, and to Edmund is younger than Caspian so Lilliandil will totally fall in love with CASPIAN!!!!!! YAY :D :D :D :D
joy93
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby DamselJillPole » Sep 29, 2010 9:37 am

^ Of course they will joy93 ;) :D

It's inevitable for them, it should happen in order for them to continue the series so I'm not worried. :)
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby adamie » Sep 29, 2010 10:04 am

DamselJillPole wrote:^ Of course they will joy93 ;) :D

It's inevitable for them, it should happen in order for them to continue the series so I'm not worried. :)

Don't take this the bad way, DamsellJillPole, but to me it seems like you support all possible romances in Narnia. Susan and Caspian, Jill and Tirian, ... Don't you believe that if these characters belong together, Lewis would have wrote it? But he decided not to, because he was trying to portray a different kind of love, one of honor and chivalry, like in the stories of King Arthur and the knights of the round table. That's why he described love as something pure, that only happens on the rarest occasion. I believe Lewis wouldn't like the way love is portrayed in the films, as a puberty thing filled with meaningless crushes and fantasies. That's something for another class of films, like 'a cinderella story' (-|

So no, I do not support any romance in Narnia that is not in the books, or that is portrayed as something else than Lewis his ideas about the matter.

off topic, I know...
click the image.
adamie
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Clive Staples Sibelius » Sep 29, 2010 10:14 am

Well, I am going to see it in theaters, and I will be happy to support the effort. But I'm just not looking forward to it anymore. I feel betrayed in so many ways by all the production team who promised a "return" to LWW-faithfulness. But at this point, I would settle for PC-style faithfulness. The VDT changes are SO different from the book. It's no longer a matter of island shuffling and condensing for the sake of cinematic efficiency---we now have whole plotlines, new characters, and implied romances that were never meant to be part of Narnia.

I'm happy for those who can keep their enthusiasm, but I can't. I tried: I've managed to swallow all the bad news up until now. But now it's like I have no more faith left in the filmmakers to keep their promises of being faithful to the "spirit" of the book, much less the actual narrative line.

I always feel, when a director, producer, or screenwriter insists that changes are necessary, that they are really saying they don't want to do hard work to make the film. I always feel like changes are cop-outs.
"Even in literature and art, no man who bothers about originality will ever be original: whereas if you simply try to tell the truth you will, nine times out of ten, become original without ever having noticed."- CS Lewis
Clive Staples Sibelius
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby DamselJillPole » Sep 29, 2010 10:15 am

^Adamie, perhaps you're mistaken. I do not support Susan and Caspian! :ymsick: :ymsick: I was talking about lilliandil/Caspian. Why are NWebbers always after me about this? Also where are you getting the idea of something i've never said?

The only Narnian pairings I do support are yes:
Jill/Tirian, because it was fun to imagine that when i was younger.
Caspian/Lilliandil, I used to not support them much and then Suspian happened.
Aravis/Cor

Those are the only ones I support big time.
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby A_Narnian_Ship » Sep 29, 2010 10:37 am

Back on topic.... ;)
I am terribly confused on my thoughts right now! I do believe you're right, Malfhok, I don't think Caspian knows about the seven swords, seven lords, unfathomable fate yet. Even if he hadn't blown the horn, he would not have been surprised to see them, since the "fate of Narnia depended on him".

I do love that they included the comforting scene between Eustace the dragon and Reepicheep. It does appear that the undragoning will be later in the film though.
I do believe a new podcast is in order though(hint hint hint!)
I saw the movie....and was disappointed
A_Narnian_Ship
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Malfhok » Sep 29, 2010 11:04 am

Okay, here we go. Aslan's Country's Cyclops got to see the same clips in LA. I would give more weight to this report and transcription than to any of the others we've had from movie coverage sites.

If at all possible, this report is even more spoiler-filled than the ones from yesterday. You have been warned!

http://www.aslanscountry.com/2010/09/ex ... screening/

Having read this report from Cyclops, I am much, much more happy with how this is turning out. :)
Malfhok
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby A_Narnian_Ship » Sep 29, 2010 11:14 am

Fabulous! Thank you, Malfhok! What a great report!
I saw the movie....and was disappointed
A_Narnian_Ship
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Clive Staples Sibelius » Sep 29, 2010 11:23 am

*sigh*

Just read the Aslan's Country report. Lucy is going to be saying "Edmund!" a lot.
"Even in literature and art, no man who bothers about originality will ever be original: whereas if you simply try to tell the truth you will, nine times out of ten, become original without ever having noticed."- CS Lewis
Clive Staples Sibelius
NarniaWeb Nut

PreviousNext