This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Report on New York Preview Event *Big Plot Spoilers*

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

Re: Report on New York Preview Event *Big Plot Spoilers*

Postby DamselJillPole » Sep 28, 2010 8:17 pm

^ I'm trying to tell you guys that it's unlikely it'll be a Edmund/Lilliandil crush just because Edmund makes a comment indicating she's hot to him. it doesn't mean that they are going to go hand in hand and run across a meadow laughing and being romantic with each other. Seriously I think you guys are going to the extreme in paranoia here. We all know the story of how Caspian meets RD and we know how they end up. ;) Honestly this is not a huge deal! =))

Other members of the crew might think she's hot too like in the book: "And when they looked at her they thought they had never known what beauty meant."

They are sticking to the book and Caspian and Lilliandil will end up together. Calm down guys! :p
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby decarus » Sep 28, 2010 8:25 pm

I think it sounds terrible if there is anything there at all. Also i think you still refuse to see that there is a Caspian/Susan romance when there clearly is one and it is too much for me if there are even glances between Edmund and Ramandu's daughter. The only hope is in that they meet only here at the end before the dark island battle.

I don't like how they talk about Eustace. They say he is so irritating early on in the film that it is almost unbearable. I don't think that sounds good at all for the film especially if he doesn't successfully recover like Peter didn't in PC.
There are no clouds in the sky. There is only the open sun and the Lord watches.
decarus
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby DamselJillPole » Sep 28, 2010 8:33 pm

decarus, I don't look at Suspian as a real made up romance or even a romance to begin with. I'm not in denial or anything of the above. I probably would have believed it was a romance if they had more development or seen something as to why they liked each other rather then them looking attractive. Suspian is a lame lust fest to me. It may not be to you because there was a kiss, but that was Susan's doing not Caspian's. they were never going out or started a relationship to begin with. So it's not romance. K ;)

But okay if you want to look at a 14 year old who see's lilliandil whose probably 19 or 20 romantic then by jolly go by your opinion on something that has not been established yet! ;)
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Lion's Emblem » Sep 28, 2010 8:48 pm

As always, every report comes in with promises and annoyances. Based on just descriptions, I like the idea that there is an inclusion of Susan wrtiting to Lucy and Edmund. It still pushes the idea of their strong family unit without having everyone in Narnia. Eustace's character development sounds great (still not sure on the extension of his being a dragon though). I really like how Reepicheep catches Eustace stealing food in a shortage and just how Reep proves his case. I'm not sure on the orange, where does it grow that they have it on board (it doesn't bother me though, I'm just curious of where they got it).

I don't like the idea of Lucy being forced to perform the invisibility spell. It just seems to take away from her strength of cahracter. She's no longer really saving the DT crew, but they have to save their "damsel in distress" because she has been captured by invisible giants. On that note, I'm not too worried about the invisible giants. I can't remember if it was in the book or not, but at least it was in the BBC VDT, that Lucy suspects the inhabitants might be giants because of the way the thump along on the ground. This could be the same case.

Ugh. The seven swords business again. They have to place the swords before Aslan to end the Dark Island?! Come on, this is so hokey. Why can't they just stick to what's in the book for this plot driver?

I would really like to see clips. Descriptions are what they are, but video might help ease my thoughts or just make me gag more.
Sig by Dernhelm_of_Rohan
NWsis to eves_daughter & ForeverFan
Lion's Emblem
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby decarus » Sep 28, 2010 8:48 pm

As i said i am aware that you don't think there is a Susan/Caspian romance even though there clearly is one. We will of course agree to disagree.

I am not sure that this means that there will be glances between Ramandu's daughter and Edmund, but it is annoying enough in my opinion for them to show Edmund even look at her.

I also dislike the idea that all guys look in a lustful way. You suggested in the past that Caspian looked at Susan's chest when they first much which i must disagree with strongly. I do not think so little of Caspian. To have anything of Edmund thinking about Ramandu's daughter seems completely unnecessary. It seems way too much like the past comments about why they had the Susan/Caspian romance.'Well they are both young attractive people, why wouldn't there be a romance?'
There are no clouds in the sky. There is only the open sun and the Lord watches.
decarus
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby DamselJillPole » Sep 28, 2010 8:55 pm

decarus you simply talk to me as if everything I say or said is dead wrong and that I actually want to see something between Lilliandil/Edmund. I clearly dont! That would be overly ridiculous! So please give me my space. ;) You worry over something that you don't even know what is going to happen, that you didn't see yourself yet. Seriously. /:)

It seems way too much like the past comments about why they had the Susan/Caspian romance.'Well they are both young attractive people, why wouldn't there be a romance?'

My point exactly! It's not a real romance because a story was never thought out for one it was just dropped in like a hurricane. It's unexpected. It's an attraction that never became a romance. ;)
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby decarus » Sep 28, 2010 8:59 pm

We just disagree so completely that i do think everything you say is wrong. I actually think you misunderstood what you quoted. The director said it was a romance and that the reason that there was a Susan/Caspian romance was not because it made any sense, but because they were young and attractive and so of course there had to be a romance.

I think you are suggesting that because Edmund is young he would of course be attracted to Ramandu's daughter. I disagree.
decarus
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Bookwyrm » Sep 28, 2010 9:00 pm

This isn't the thread to discuss whether or not Susaspian was a real romance or whatever. Keep it to the appropriate thread please.
Bookwyrm
Moderator Emeritus
Lord of the Little Ponies

Postby decarus » Sep 28, 2010 9:07 pm

Yes. I am sorry. I just dislike the extra romances a lot and the idea that there could be something even glances between Edmund and Ramadu's daughter is too much.

I actually think it will most likely be nothing because they seem to only meet at the end right before the dark island battle. We still don't know what is going on with Edmund's glowing sword. I will wait and see.

I think the descriptions in general sound terrible, but we have known most of these changes for some time. I just don't know if this film will be at all like the book and i am forgiving of changes, but they just always seem to go too far.
decarus
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby DamselJillPole » Sep 28, 2010 9:10 pm

^But we still need that extra character development between Caspian and Lilliandil on the island before they move on dont you think?
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Glumpuddle » Sep 28, 2010 9:21 pm

I don't think my expectations for LWW or PC were ever this low. I feel like I'm waiting for the axe to fall. This is the first time I have really thought "man, it looks like they just might have totally ruined this book." If this turns out to be as awful as it sounds, I'm going to crawl out of the theater in tears.

Bookwyrm wrote:But the bit about the White Witch being defeated is what makes me think there's no hope of this movie being decent. You can talk about how the WW personifies evil or whatever till the cows come home, but Aslan killed her. If she's capable of coming back whenever she pleases, that means Aslan does not have the power to destroy her. I don't see how you could interpret that any other way than as reducing his power.

That entire post was very well written, Bookwyrm. Summed up my feelings perfectly. B-) :((
YouTube.com/gpuddle | Facebook.com/gpuddle | Twitter.com/glumpuddle
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Zealot
Multimedia Producer, News Poster, Social Media Manager

Postby decarus » Sep 28, 2010 9:24 pm

I think there was talk of Caspian having a dream about Ramandu's daughter. That may still happen, but it doesn't look like they will be spending much time together because this seems to be the first time they've met.

They will probably meet after the dark island battle or during it.

They also may still show the wedding, but i don't know about that.
decarus
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Adeona » Sep 29, 2010 12:14 am

Well, this is a major downer. :( Sure, there's some good information here, but most of it is as yuck as possible. X(

I noticed some other NarniaWebbers quoting the Comingsoon.net report, but I didn't see a link (I might have missed it!) so I thought I'd post it. They do have a little more information then the Examiner.

I agree with Pattertwig's Pal that Edmund showing his tongue to his uncle is quite immature.

Comingsoon.net wrote:At the second island, Lucy is kidnapped by "invisible giants" while everyone else is sleeping and they take her to an "invisible house" for her to find the Book of Incantations to turn things visible...
We then cut to the beach where the others wake up and immediately notice Lucy's absence so they go off looking for her.

From how this sounds, there is an actual scene of Lucy being kidnapped, so I don't think this was just an assumption by the crew. Though I'm pretty sure the "Giants" thing is a guess.
But:
Comingsoon.net wrote:Lucy, who is walking through the strange house adorned with all sorts of books and paintings, and she comes to a large book on a pedestal but it seems to be locked. [Lucy says various spells then] Apted told us that after reuniting with the crew, they go to Magician's Island where they meet the Magician Coriakin...
So obviously this report isn't completely reliable!

Comingsoon.net wrote:At the top of the stand on which the book rests and just above it is an angel ornament that comes alive and blows wind ahead of it, clueing Lucy to the fact that she has to blow on the front of the book, which she does.
Bizarre. An angel? I don't think Narnia even has angels.

Other than that, I pretty much agree with what's already been said as to the awfulness of it all. 8-|
RL Sibs: Aviator, Lizzle, Narniancricket, DancingPrincesses, Andriel
Adeona
NarniaWeb Guru
Thursday's Wayfaring Child

Postby Movie Aristotle » Sep 29, 2010 1:08 am

I had no time to write anything at my computer earlier and I really should get to bed, but I just had to comment on a few things that stuck out about this report:

Peter 2.0:
Ugh.

Caspian introducing Ed and Lu as the High King and Queen:
This struck me at first, since Peter is High King, but I suppose if you look at it from Caspian’s point of view, Peter isn’t coming back to Narnia, so maybe he figures the title passes to Ed?

(Note: After reading the ComingSoon.net article it seems that the Examiner simplified the exchange and the term “High King” isn’t actually used.)

Reep Fight:
Eustace claims to be a pacifist. Excellent! :D

Beauty spell scene:
This has me worried. She actually says the spell??? Or maybe she reads it silently? And green mist? O brother… 8-|

Swords at Aslan’s Feet:
I like how this could be taken as a sign of submission. –That the Narnians can’t save the world, but they can do their part, and Aslan will do the rest.

BUT, ComingSoon.net reports that the swords must be placed on Aslan’s Table, which has me confused. :-\

I’m not sure I like how Coriakin knows so much about the journey beyond (and we don't).

Reep telling Eustace stories:
Yes!!!!!!! :ymhug: Now, if only they don’t mess up Eustace’s honest man-to-man chat with Edmund after the undragoning, I will be a happy camper.

Lilliandil’s Entrance:
Wow, it seems she won’t appear earlier in the story like I thought she might. /:) I wonder why all the ascending and descending in the trailers? And, (I can’t believe I’m writing this), how will the romance aspect work if we don’t meet her earlier in the film?

I am not much of a fan of Ed taking a liking to Lill, but oh well. I hope they keep the attraction pure. What on earth would we call it? Eddill? Lillianmund? Lilliedmund?

It looks like we’re going to have another Elizabeth Benet on our hands though. Lill seems rather feisty.

The rest of the scene seems 99% out of the book, except there is no mention of the Witch’s stone knife, which worries me… :-s

Sea Serpent scene:
“The sea serpent is much larger than Eustace, and it is by far the most fearsome creature seen in a "Narnia" movie so far.” Oh, yeah! :ymsmug:

The End:
Not too bad. I object to the “no going back” part though. What about Silver Chair? Eustace and Jill totally come back from Aslan’s Country and then back to and then back from again. This line should be CUT or ALTERED before the movie comes out.

(Again, after reading from ComingSoon.net it sounds like Mr. Apted said the line, not Aslan. Will the line be any different or better in the film?) :-\

Overall:
There is a lot to like in these two articles, but a few snags bother me: the White Witch, Lucy having a vanity issue, etc.

Somehow this movie feels right, but the story seems all wrong. How can I have these two conflicting forces in my mind at the same time?

I look forward to going back and reading the first four pages of this discussion. It looks like fun! But for now, bedtime.

PS: I love this quote:
“I wasn’t going to let this go. The franchise is too important. I enjoy it too much. And quite frankly, I think the messages are too important.” –Mark Johnson
Movie Aristotle
Movie Aristotle
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Aslans Country » Sep 29, 2010 1:28 am

This is... ah. :(( I would've been so much more optimistic about everything if I hadn't happened to read the bit about the White Witch, and the seven swords.. and can't actually believe they're doing this. It just doesn't make sense, to bring back the villain from the first movie, when she's dead, twice, and to make it a main part of the movie? I don't understand. It would make far more sense if it was something like Miraz's power coming back (although that's equally impossible), because at least then it would fit in the context of Caspian, and it's only 3 years on. But why would an ancient power like the WW come back now, more than 1000 years later? She's DEAD. Don't they get it?! X(
Sorry. Rant over. :p

The other stuff mostly sounded good, such as the details of Eustace (pinning insects to pieces of card - yay! :p ), and Reepicheep. I'm not too annoyed about Aslan's Country, although after reading through this thread, I agree that it's kind of ridiculous for then to choose England over Aslan's Country..

For the moment, I refuse to be worried about Eustace earning his undragoning. They've stressed so many times that this isn't the case that it seems fairly certain (to me) that they'll make it reasonably clear. And anyway, a certain Witch is on my mind far too much right now to worry about anything else.

Green mist around temptation? Now that is just lame. How does it even work anyway? It's more like an extremely obvious clue for the audience, "look, someone's just been tempted~" /:)

Lucy being kidnapped, I can deal with, although it does take away the fact that she volunteered.. I don't know. It doesn't bug me that much at the moment.

I just really can't understand about the White Witch. I'd been getting the impression that there was only a tiny bit of footage of her anyway (that one line at the Dark Island), so how did they manage to make her a major part of the story??? :(( X(
Avie by flambeau.

"I'm there through your heartache, I'm there in the storm.. I don’t care where you've fallen, where you have been, I'll never forsake you, my love never ends, it never ends."
-Times, Tenth Avenue North
Aslans Country
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby coracle » Sep 29, 2010 1:42 am

Hmm, there is a lot of hot air and anxiety here.

I think in a week or two a lot of this will have settled down, and the usual suspects will have stopped fretting.

Let me help: remember that the people who have reported on the event do not know everything, they have been told some things and have observed others. They may have misconstrued what they heard/saw, or reported things said that are not actually how it really IS in the film (eg Lucy "appears" to have been kidnapped by invisible giants - they have large footprints with apparently long strides, their voices seem high up). They may not have as great Narnia background as some of us do. They have seen fragments, and the whole picture has deliberately been kept from them, so there are links and explanations which we will know in 3 months time.

All through this thread I have wanted to reply to people, but the most helpful (if you actually read this) is to say don't despair! This is not the whole picture.
Remember also that it has been adapted to make a coherent blockbuster movie with a united plot. You simply couldn't take the book and make it into a film - its episodic quality was okay for the BBC TV serial but needed a proper plot structure to make a good film.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

PreviousNext