Live Action vs Animated

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderator: daughter of the King

How do you want the Narnia Netflix series to be made?

Live Action
86%
Animated
14%
I don't care, I just want a faithful adaptation
No votes

Total votes : 7

Live Action vs Animated

Postby fantasia_kitty » Oct 10, 2018 11:41 am

There are so many pros and cons to having a live action movie and so many pros and cons to an animated movie. Which direction do you think this new series will go? And which would you prefer?

While I personally prefer live action, I only prefer it if it's well done. And I'm not sure that I've seen anything on Netflix that has exceptional CGI. Even though it's 10-12 years later, I don't think CGI has improved that much and I can't imagine this series pulling out all the stops to get something just as good or better than the Walden series.

So in this case, I would not be disappointed at all if they chose to go the animated route. I think I've mentioned before that it's a dream of mine to have it done by Cartoon Saloon. (Go watch 'Secret of Kells' or 'Song of the Sea'.... or if you have littles, 'Puffin Rock' is fantastic!)

Another huge pro to animated is the shifting ages of the Earthling children relative to the ages of the Narnians is suddenly a non-issue.
fantasia_kitty
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Re: Live Action vs Animated

Postby starkat » Oct 10, 2018 3:35 pm

Please stick to live action. These days most animation styles I find absolutely horrific. I can't watch most styles and if they animate in one of those styles, I will not be watching it.
starkat
Moderator Emeritus

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Oct 10, 2018 3:58 pm

It's definitely a dream to see Narnia animated someday, but I'd prefer live action right now. That said, fk, you have a great point about the CGI not being up to par in a Netflix production, and if that's the case, I'd definitely prefer something animated. But I'm hoping that between creativity and adequate funding, that won't be necessary.
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
#VoteNarnia in The Great American Read
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby narnia fan 7 » Oct 10, 2018 5:32 pm

While I am a little concerned about whether Narnia can be done on a Netflix budget, I undoubtedly want it to be live-action.

Personally I prefer live-action over animation in general. And with Narnia in particular, half the reason I would even want a screen adaptation in the first place is to see the story brought to life and made into a real, tangible, three dimensional world. That's one of the things I think the Walden films got right. And not to take anything away from animation as an art form, but I just don't think you can really accomplish that reality through animation.
“I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia.”
narnia fan 7
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Abbiette » Oct 12, 2018 2:26 pm

I like both ideas! I kind of default to live action for Narnia since that's what I've always seen, but animated would probably be a good idea since Narnia is VERY MUCH a fantasy, and if live action would require a LOT of CGI (My first thought is of MN, when Aslan literally creates Narnia, but it would need it a lot in general), I'm not entirely sure how well Netflix could pull off something that would need so much CGI
Abbiette
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby Col Klink » Oct 14, 2018 8:18 pm

While animation is certainly a fascinating artform (especially stop motion), I feel that the fantastical creatures and images of Narnia would pack less punch in animation than they would in a live action setting. After all, everything in an animated series or movie is a special effect.

It's true though that Netflix probably wouldn't be able to do those things really well with a live action series (unless maybe they gutted everything else and we don't want that.) So it probably must be animation. This makes me feel more and more like a Netflix series can never be my ideal Narnia adaptation. And since it means there won't be any other Narnia adaptation for quite some time, it's hard for me to feel good about it.
Col Klink
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Monty Jose » Oct 15, 2018 11:09 am

narnia fan 7 wrote:Personally I prefer live-action over animation in general. And with Narnia in particular, half the reason I would even want a screen adaptation in the first place is to see the story brought to life and made into a real, tangible, three dimensional world. That's one of the things I think the Walden films got right. And not to take anything away from animation as an art form, but I just don't think you can really accomplish that reality through animation.

I'm totally here with you. As far as Netflix's capability of pulling off CGI elements, I'm not terribly worried. Lost In Space was beautiful (nominated for an Emmy in their special effects). I know that's different from a CG lion and beavers, but Netflix is growing. And I would hope they rely on practical effects and makeup when possible, as well.

Also, I can't take animated films as seriously as live action. Sure, I cried in Toy Story 3, I love Lilo and Stitch, and I'm highly anticipating Wreck it Ralph 2. But overall these are fun movies and the medium suits these storie. But I love the source material too much to present it in medium I feel won't do it justice or reduce the sense of magic and wonder. Animated films don't wow me nearly as much or as continuously with their 'special effects'.
https://www.instagram.com/_montyjose_art/
Monty Jose
NarniaWeb Regular