This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Famous Names

Enjoy games and blogs with other NarniaWebbers.

Moderator: ValiantArcher

Re: Famous Names

Postby Cleander » Jun 22, 2019 7:15 pm

Anne Bonny
PM me to join the Search for the Seven Swords!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Find it on the Talk About Narnia Forum!
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby ValiantArcher » Jun 25, 2019 6:46 pm

Benjamin Harrison
Some days you battle yourself and other monsters.
Some days you just make soup.
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby coracle » Jun 26, 2019 1:32 pm

Henry Ford
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Jun 26, 2019 7:24 pm

Frances Shand Kydd, the mother of Diana, Princess of Wales.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Grandmama » Jul 25, 2019 7:57 am

Kevin Bacon, American actor
"I suppose the sewing machine's too heavy to bring?. . . I can't abide the thought of that Witch fiddling with it. . ."
Grandmama
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby coracle » Jul 25, 2019 10:44 am

Bing Crosby, a singer of my parents' generation, who sang his way through lots of movies.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Cleander » Jul 27, 2019 4:34 pm

Charles Dickens
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Find it on the Talk About Narnia Forum!
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Jul 28, 2019 7:07 pm

Daniel Defoe who wrote the story of Robinson Crusoe, based on the true story of Alexander Selkirk, marooned in the Juan Fernández archipelago, off the coast of Chile, by William Dampier, the English buccaneer who visited Australia three times, a century before Sydney was founded in 1788.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby coracle » Jul 29, 2019 11:09 am

(I saw Defoe's grave in London yesterday!)

Darcey Bussel, a retired English ballerina

coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Jul 30, 2019 9:29 pm

Bruce Kardashian, famous years ago but now called something else. :ymblushing:

coracle wrote:(I saw Defoe's grave in London yesterday!)

Ooh! :-o Hi, Coracle, Wow! :D Where exactly? I've heard Matthew Flinders' statue is at Euston station, isn't it?
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Cleander » Jul 31, 2019 1:03 pm

Karlmann I, (or Carloman) , king of the Franks 751-771.

(Special thanks to Wikipedia.)

@wagga: Interestingly, the man who rescued Selkirk, Captain Woodes Rogers, later went on a near-successful mission to wipe out piracy in the Caribbean. Marooned by a pirate, rescued by a pirate hunter!
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Aug 03, 2019 11:03 pm

Ken Done, an Australian painter.

Cleander wrote:@wagga: Interestingly, the man who rescued Selkirk, Captain Woodes Rogers, later went on a near-successful mission to wipe out piracy in the Caribbean. Marooned by a pirate, rescued by a pirate hunter!

It gets even funnier. Did you know that William Dampier, a sometimes member of the British Navy, & otherwise a privateer, actually was a navigator of that expedition to rescue Selkirk? And that William Dampier's published journals of his journeys contributed to technological discoveries such as the measurement of longitude?
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Cleander » Aug 04, 2019 4:31 pm

David Livingstone -famous for being a jungle missionary who was "presumed" upon.

waggawerewolf27 wrote:It gets even funnier. Did you know that William Dampier, a sometimes member of the British Navy, & otherwise a privateer, actually was a navigator of that expedition to rescue Selkirk? And that William Dampier's published journals of his journeys contributed to technological discoveries such as the measurement of longitude?

I'd totally forgot that about him being Rogers' navigator! :ymblushing: But yes, I was aware of his book's existence, although I haven't read it.
Other fun fact: Selkirk was actually in great health when his rescuers found him. After he got off his fish-and-goat's-meat diet, and on to their salt-beef and hardtack, his health noticeably declined, much to the befuddlement of the sailors! =))
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Aug 10, 2019 5:19 pm

Lord Louis Mountbatten, a very famous British navy type, the uncle of the current British Monarch's consort, who presided over the partition of India & Pakistan in 1947, & who was assassinated in Sligo, in 1979, by the IRA (Irish Republican Army).

Cleander wrote:I'd totally forgot that about him being Rogers' navigator! :ymblushing: But yes, I was aware of his book's existence, although I haven't read it.

It isn't the sort of book that would be freely available in your local library. More like the sort of book that would take half of the library's budget to buy, even on Amazon, would be on permanent loan to some research institute or other, or on some sort of long lost overdue book list, or only available in state, university & college libraries where they study such matters. Or if the library has any sense, it might possibly be in the reference section of your library. Or else put into a restricted lending special collection called "Australiana", "Famous maritime explorers" or whatever suits the occasion, including Pirates of the Caribbean. ;) If you go to the Western Australian Maritime Museum, at any rate, at any time in your life, you will find heaps about this famous man, in the adjoining bookshop.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby ValiantArcher » Aug 11, 2019 5:16 pm

Matthew C. Perry
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby ValiantArcher » Aug 12, 2019 7:30 pm

Moderator Note: Please remember the following two items:
1) Names posted must have a first and last name.
2) The first name of your person must start with the same letter as the last name of the previously posted person.

Thank you. :)
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

PreviousNext