The Wooded Cavern: HQ For The Dancing Lawn Lions!!!

Enjoy games and blogs with other NarniaWebbers.

Moderator: ValiantArcher

Re: The Wooded Cavern: HQ For The Dancing Lawn Lions!!!

Postby Dernhelm_of_Rohan » Jun 22, 2012 9:40 am

Hey, Movie Aristotle! Pull up a chair, grab some cookies and your favorite C. S. Lewis quotes - we're glad to welcome you to the team. ATM, we're trying ti figure out who will post in what area, so we all have some idea of each other's strengths. Also, do you need Lion graphics? I know Narnian_Badger offered to make some for those of us not gifted in computer art. ;)

-Dernhelm

Founding Keeper of the Secret Magic
Dernhelm_of_Rohan
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Aslanisthebest » Jun 24, 2012 2:05 pm

Welcome Varnafinde and Movie Aristotle! I'm so glad to be on the same team with you both. :D

N_B, if I may ask, what is that in your avatar? You have great graphics, by the way! :D

I'm really enjoying seeing the Lion team spirit passing around the forum via our graphics. Our majestic, terrifying, and marvelous mascot is the best. B-)
RL Sibling: CSLewisNarnia
Aslanisthebest
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Varnafinde » Jun 25, 2012 4:03 pm

I'm quite pleased with the avatar that I found, but if somebody makes more avatars with our team name included, I'm going to consider switching ...

I guess those avatars will be posted in this thread as well as in the fan art threads - or even only here, for as long as the tournament lasts?

And it's only a week now before we start! :D
(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)
Varnafinde
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum

Postby Narnian_Badger » Jun 25, 2012 6:27 pm

Aitb, certainly you may ask. :D That is, in fact, a Badger, wreathed in flame and generally looking awesome. B-) ...Well, that's the idea, anyhow. XD Also, your lion avvie is so cute! <3

I'm thinking, if I can find the time, that I might whip up a whole batch of avs and sigs for our team... The anticipation! Less than a week, folks!
Narnian_Badger
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Aslanisthebest » Jun 25, 2012 9:28 pm

I should think that they would be posted here, Varnafinde, but I'm not 100% sure. :) (I really like your signature, by the way!! :D )

Ahaha, that's awesome, Narnian_Badger! My sister says, "An epic badger, fearless, and wreathed in flame" ;) :P He looks so cute; now I can see his Badgery face and smile. Will I be forever ignored if I thought that the badger there was a dragon claw flailing in defeat...? :ymblushing: :ymblushing: :ymblushing:
*really was not trying to imply enmity with the other team and what not* ;;) :p :ymblushing: Thanks, btw! :D

*is really excited now*
Aslanisthebest
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Movie Aristotle » Jun 26, 2012 12:44 am

Greetings, fellow Lions! Please excuse my tardiness. I was busy lashing together tree forts in the surrounding area for lookout towers.

1) Have you read anything by Lewis other than the Narnia Books?
Oh certainly. The Space Trilogy, The Screwtape Letters, Till We Have Faces (with the NarniaWeb reading group), Mere Christianity (via audiobook), Surprised by Joy (also via audio book), The Weight of Glory, The Abolition of Man, and I've listened to Lewis' recordings from his manuscript of The Four Loves.

2) Which topics/forum sections are you most likely to post in? Which are your favorites to read and post in?
I am certainly most likely to post in The Screwtape Letters thread. I invite everyone who has yet to join the discussion to grab a copy of the book and join me. -Especially since we can get points from that forum throughout the competition. I used to post a lot in GMD. I think I probably will have a bit to say there now that we have a little news on the movies again.

3) What would you like to see discussed on NW that isn't being discussed already?
I'm making a secret list so that we'll be ready on July 1.

4) Any ideas as to how we can make our headquarters more homely?
I've added a telescope in the treetop for everyone's convenience.

Feel free to post your own artwork (avies, siggies and the like) to show your team spirit!

I don't mind if I do:

Sehnsucht
Movie Aristotle
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby wild rose » Jun 26, 2012 11:10 am

welcome to all those wonderful people who joined, it's so wonderful to have you on the side of right and justice :ymhug: :ymhug:
I'm sorry I have been gone for so long, my internet has been out :|
July first is fast approaching....I need to get my lion avatar!!! :p
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby Narnian_Badger » Jun 26, 2012 1:59 pm

Well, I don't know about you folks, but a To-Do list always helps me in such matters. So, to get things started, here's some things I thought of.

Things to do before Sunday

•Rewatch the three Walden movies
Week one will be the only week GMD posts count. It might be a good idea to listen to the commentaries as well--get an idea of what TPTB had in mind when filming. If you aren't familiar with them yet, the BBC versions, 1970s animated film, and Focus on the Family audio dramas are a good place to look, too.

•Get a copy of The Screwtape Letters
The reading group will give out points all month long--note that the Screwtape Letters has thirty-one letters. Guess how many days July has? ;) Whether you already own and just need to... ah, find it... *ahem* or if you want to check it out from the library, note that you'd need to read at least a letter a day. So headstarts are good. :P

•Check out the G&B, GMD, and Reading Group Rules
Don't want to get any negative points! O.O Also, check out the threads that are already open for posting ideas. :D

So, that's all I had. Best wishes, Lions, and may the Dragons Hear us Roar! :D ;))
Narnian_Badger
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby narnian1 » Jun 26, 2012 2:30 pm

I've been wanting to rewatch the movies myself, but holding off still.
I'm currently listening to the audio dramas. I had previously listened to LWW, PC, and half of VDT. As that was a long time ago I decided to start fresh. I'm almost done with LWW. I'm hoping to finish these before watching the movies again. Of course, I also want to re-read the books. :p
narnian1
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Narnian_Badger » Jun 26, 2012 8:03 pm

Aitb: Heehee, that is awesome. XD I'll have to keep that in mind for later... :p

So... I had a bit of fun earlier today. ;)) They're paired up in sets, but you can mix/match or just take one or the other or... whatever, if you should want to use 'em. I have multiple variations of most of them if you're interested. ;)

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

By the way, my nicknames are Badger, NB, and N_B, if you'd like. Welcome to all our new peoples! :D
Narnian_Badger
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Aslanisthebest » Jun 26, 2012 8:17 pm

If I get the time, I'll watch LWW as a commencement for summer break. I currently have PC, but don't know if I really want to see it. :P Don't own VDT.

I finished The Screwtape Letters but was too busy to go and post in the reading group, so I'll re-check out the book and post on what I thought of them. Hopefully it'll be quality. ;))

I'll also go through the books if I can...

Forgive my ignorance, but we get the most points if we post in The Reading Group, I know, and if we post in G&B right? Is this the same for Talk about Narnia and GMD?
*hopes so*

Those are awesome graphics, Badger! I really like the first signature. :D
Aslanisthebest
Moderator Emeritus

Postby ValiantArcher » Jun 26, 2012 8:36 pm

Bella, in your scoreboard, the point breakdown is explained. Basically, it's 5 points for each post in G&B and then 15 points for each post in the other forums (qualifications and exclusions apply; see rules for details ;) ). If you have more questions, feel free to ask in the Questions thread! :)
Keep moving forward.
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby Movie Aristotle » Jun 27, 2012 12:16 am

I took some time to make some personalized matching team avatars (kind of like team t-shirts). Follow the link to find yours:

http://s1084.photobucket.com/albums/j42 ... n%20Lions/

Sehnsucht
Movie Aristotle
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Nellie of Narnia » Jun 27, 2012 3:40 pm

Hello again all!

Firstly, I want to thank Narnian_Badger for creating the lovely avatar that I am using. I am hopeless when it comes to making graphics, so I really appreciate this. It looks great, Badger!

Next, a want to give a big welcome to the newer Dancing Lawn Lions who had not yet joined our ranks when I last posted. Greetings and lion roars to: MarigoldGamgee, Movie Aristotle, narnian1, Narnian_Archer and Varnafinde! :-h

I know these greetings are a bit belated for some of you, but nevertheless, welcome to our team! I don't know any of you very well, but I look forward to getting to know each of you as we face the Dragons together! :D

Now, to answer wolfy's questions...

1) Have you read anything by Lewis other than the Narnia Books?

No, I don't believe I have. I grew up with the Chronicles being read to me, and I really like them, but I'm not a really big reader myself. What I was thinking of doing was listening to the audio version of The Screwtape Letters, partly so I could post in that thread and get our team some points, but also because I've heard it's really good! (I guess I'd better get on with that! ;)) ) But, even though I don't read that much, I would like to read Lewis' space trilogy, and Mere Christianity, and some of his other books... sometime... :)

2) Which topics/forum sections are you most likely to post in? Which are your favorites to read and post in?
Good question. Even though it's called NarniaWeb, I don't really read or post in any of the Narnia-related forums! :ymblushing: :) I'm mostly in The Spare Oom, and the Hospitality Committees section (having just become a member of the Birthday Committee last October), and occasionally Games and Blogs. I guess I'll have to change my ways a bit if I want to get our team some points this July! I will try to post in Games and Blogs, The Screwtape Letters thread, and in the Narnia-related forums more in the coming weeks.

3) What would you like to see discussed on NW that isn't being discussed already?
As I said in my response to De_De in my last post, there is basically every topic I can imagine here already! :)

4) Any ideas as to how we can make our headquarters more homely?
All of the suggestions so far are great... I can't think of anything else at the moment to add. Wolfy, those lion-themed chairs and that throw rug look awesome! :D

Narnian_Archer wrote:Oh, and I brought some fresh honey from the bee hives near my old home...anyone for some fresh honey? I've brought some fresh loaves of bread as well!! :) :)

That sounds delicious! Thanks, Narnian_Archer!

Dernhelm_of_Rohan wrote:In response to Nellie of Narnia,
Lovely to meet you, my dear girl! I hope we shall be very good friends.

Thank-you! I hope so, too! :)

wild rose wrote:I hope no one minds, but I have begun to make an embroided banner for our team, it's not the symbol of our team or anything, I just thought it would look nice hanging on one of our walls :) add to the decor and splendor :)

An embroidered banner? That sounds beautiful, wild! Let us know when you finish it!

Aslanisthebest wrote:Hallo to all my comrade knights who I have not yet had the privilege of greeting! Liberty Hoffman, Ithilwen, Andriel, Nellie of Narnia, Narnian_Archer, Dernhelm_of_Rohan, Louloudi the Centaur, narnian1, I'm excited to be in the same team with you all!!

Hi Bella! ^ Likewise!!

Narnian_Badger wrote:P.S. I left some homemade tomato soup and French bread in the commons room for anyone who might be a little hungry. ;)

Ooh, thank-you, Badger! I am hungry, and tomato soup and French bread sound scrumptious!! :p

I'll respond to the rest of the posts later. But for now, I just want to remind my fellow Lions to know the rules and subforum rules for NW before posting, as well as the rules to any game you play in G&B! We don't want to lose points just because one of us didn't read the rules to a section or game.

Also, a good idea might be to print out/write out a copy of the schedule for what weeks in July we can get points for what section. That's what I'm going to do, and I'll have it sitting beside my computer. If you write a really substantial post, you want to get points for it, right? ;))

One last thing: I won't be available to post very much for the week of Monday, July 9 to Friday, July 13, because I'm helping with a VBS at my church. But I'll definitely be quite active the other weeks! :)

I'm looking forward to the start of the competition this Sunday!! :D
"Polly knew at once that it was the Cabby's wife, fetched out of our world not by any tiresome magic rings, but quickly, simply and sweetly as a bird flies to its nest."
(The Magician's Nephew, Chapter 11)

Real life daughter to johobbit!
NW niece to ramagut.
NW Hobbit cousin to coracle.
Nellie of Narnia
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Narnian_Archer » Jun 28, 2012 6:27 am

Hello and welcome, all newly recruited Dancing Lawn Lions!!! It's great to be on a team with all of you! (And thank you so much for the welcome, Nellie of Narnia, )

Narnian_Badger That's a very good list! Something I would also recommend for all of the members of our team to watch would be the documentary "Beyond Narnia". It's very interesting and factual, and has some good meat for substantial posts!! And, of course (although this is probably impossible to do before Sunday, but I'm sure it can be done before the end of the first week of July) it's good to reread the Narnia series!!!

Movie Aristotle Wow, nice!! I'll take mine now, ok? :) :)

Anybody for some nice, freshly-squeezed orange juice? Just don't spill it on our new books!!!
sig by Sheroo of Stormness Head
Member of the Dragon club. PM Narnia Girl or FFJ to join.
RL sibling to De_De and wild rose
Narnian_Archer
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Jun 29, 2012 11:03 am

NOTICE:

The competition starts on Sunday at 12:01 AM CDT.

The entire Games and Blogs section will be 1PPP throughout the duration of the competition! This means that you will only be allowed to have one post per person per page. Any breaking of this rule will cause your team to lose points.
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 235
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

PreviousNext