The Wooded Cavern: HQ For The Dancing Lawn Lions!!!

Enjoy games and blogs with other NarniaWebbers.

Moderator: ValiantArcher

Re: The Wooded Cavern: HQ For The Dancing Lawn Lions!!!

Postby Narnian_Badger » Jun 13, 2012 3:52 pm

Dernhelm_of_Rohan wrote:EDIT: Thanks so much, Badger! It looks awesome!

My pleasure. :D

So, how're everyone's planning sessions going? Gettin' in shape for the big contest? 'Tis a bit like a relay race, you know. We all have to depend on each other to get to the finish line. B-)

Also, MWAHAHAHA. Page three!
Narnian_Badger
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Narnian_Archer » Jun 14, 2012 10:25 pm

Hello and welcome to all the Lions I have not met yet!!!! :) :)

To stock up on our plan of attack I thought I might add some of my favorite and most quoted of C.S. Lewis's quotes - and also a video of a certain glumPuddle's grandfather, who personally corresponded with C.S. Lewis. I thought these might help to better understand the nature of C.S. Lewis and give us some backup on his life and nature, which will add more 'meat' to our posts and win us points...oops...I mean they will add to our collection of arrows which will help us win the war!!! :D :D

“You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.”
― C.S. Lewis

“To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact you must give it to no one, not even an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements. Lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket, safe, dark, motionless, airless, it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable. To love is to be vulnerable.”
-- C.S. Lewis

“You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.”
― C.S. Lewis

“Imagine yourself as a living house. God comes in to rebuild that house. At first, perhaps, you can understand what He is doing. He is getting the drains right and stopping the leaks in the roof and so on; you knew that those jobs needed doing and so you are not surprised. But presently He starts knocking the house about in a way that hurts abominably and does not seem to make any sense. What on earth is He up to? The explanation is that He is building quite a different house from the one you thought of - throwing out a new wing here, putting on an extra floor there, running up towers, making courtyards. You thought you were being made into a decent little cottage: but He is building a palace. He intends to come and live in it Himself.”
― C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

"I am trying here to prevent anyone from saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him (Jesus Christ). 'I am ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don't accept His claim to be God.' That is the one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic - on the level with a man says he is a poached egg - or else he would be the devil of hell. You must make your choice. Either the man was and is the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse. You can shut him up for a fool, you can spit at him and kill him as a demon or you can fall at his feet and call him Lord and God, but let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about his being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to"
- C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

“Experience is a brutal teacher, but you learn. My God, do you learn.”
― C.S. Lewis

And here is the video (which some of you may have seen, but I thought it would be pretty cool to add) The first two minutes are glumPuddle explaining about his grandfather and the rest is an interview with the grandfather himself. There are some interesting things about Lewis here that I didn't know before.:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrCA7-Dw ... ature=plcp

If anyone else has any interesting information on Lewis or favorite quotes you might like to add, please do so by any means!! Let's work together to "enlighten" each other and stock up for the war!!! :)
sig by Sheroo of Stormness Head
Member of the Dragon club. PM Narnia Girl or FFJ to join.
RL sibling to De_De and wild rose
Narnian_Archer
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Dernhelm_of_Rohan » Jun 15, 2012 1:38 pm

A couple more Lewis quites from one of my favorites, The Abolition of Man.

But why ought we to obey Instinct? Is there another instinct of a higher order directing us to do so, and a third of a still higher order directing us to obey it - an infinite regress of instincts? This is presumably impossible, but nothing else will serve. From the statement about psychological fact "I have an impulse to do so and so" we cannot derive the practical principle "I ought to obey this impulse". Even if it were true that men had a spontaneous, unreflective impluse to sacrifice their own lives for the preservation of their fellows, it remains quite a separate question whether this is an impulse they should control or indulge.

In order to avoid misunderstanding, I may add that though I myself am a Theist, and indeed a Christian, I am not here attempting any argument for Theism. I am simply arguing that if we are to have values at all we must accept the ultimate platitudes of Practical Reason as having absolute validity: that any attempt, having become sceptical about these, to reintroduce value lower down on some supposedly more "realistic" basis, is doomed.

We do not look at trees either as Dryads or as beautiful objects while we cut them into beams: the first man who did so may have felt the price keenly, and the bleeding trees in Virgil and Spencer may be far-off echoes of that primeval sense of impiety. The stars lost their divinity as astronomy developed and the Dying God has no place in chemical agriculture.

-Dernhelm

Founding Keeper of the Secret Magic
Dernhelm_of_Rohan
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Ithilwen » Jun 17, 2012 4:28 pm

Narnian_Archer wrote:“You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.”
― C.S. Lewis

This quote is actually by Walter Miller. Not C.S. Lewis. ;)

Time for me to answer the questions.

1) Have you read anything by Lewis other than the Narnia Books? I've read Till We Have Faces, The Great Divorce, The Screwtape Letters, The World's Last Night, A Grief Observed, and parts of Surprised by Joy, The Problem of Pain, Miracles, The Abolition of Man, On Stories, Boxen, Letters to Malcolm, and Out of the Silent Planet.

2) Which topics/forum sections are you most likely to post in? Which are your favorites to read and post in? Well, my favorite to read and post in is The Spare Oom, but I don't think that counts toward points. Out of the ones that count toward points, I probably post in Games and Blogs the most. I'll post in the Fan Art section once in awhile. I love posting in Talk About Narnia and Narnia & Christianity, but those sections are really slow and there's not much opportunity for posting.

3) What would you like to see discussed on NW that isn't being discussed already?
More about the books. I think it would be cool if there were more polls on favorite things, besides just favorite character/book. And more in-depth discussions on specific parts within the books.

4) Any ideas as to how we can make our headquarters more homely? I was thinking a few hammocks might help.
I think we could make it into a fortress with assigned quarters and everything. We could even make a map of where every tree is, and who sleeps in what tree and where we have breakfast, etc.

If you want to make a Gameplan, we could do assignments and daily goals. If we wanted to keep it Top Secret so that peering dragons couldn't see it, we could do it through the PM System. B-)

~Riella =:)
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Jun 17, 2012 7:10 pm

You have a new member, Lions. Varnafinde has joined your ranks.
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Postby Narnian_Archer » Jun 18, 2012 7:40 am

Dernhelm_of_Rohan, Very nice! Love those quotes!!!
Ithilwen, whoops, my bad. :)
sig by Sheroo of Stormness Head
Member of the Dragon club. PM Narnia Girl or FFJ to join.
RL sibling to De_De and wild rose
Narnian_Archer
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Dernhelm_of_Rohan » Jun 18, 2012 9:21 am

I have a few quick questions for the mods:

Do Ditto Town / role-play posts count as points for our team?

Is it only Spare Oom posts that are not reckonned?

Is there a section of Narnia Web that has a higher scoring rate than another? (What I mean by that is, if I post in a particular section can I earn more than one point?)

-Dernhelm

Founding Keeper of the Secret Magic
Dernhelm_of_Rohan
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Narnian_Badger » Jun 18, 2012 10:57 am

We now have the locations for our great battle!

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5693

Read thoughtfully and carefully, my kin. You ken? :D So, to bring a couple points of especial note regarding the link, all Lions must have a team avatar. No points for us otherwise! :-o ;) Also, I see that we're given extra points for exceptional posts. I guess it's time for me to grab a dictionary, thesaurus, C.S. Lewis Bibliography, and a book in logic and persuasive writing. ;))
Narnian_Badger
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Varnafinde » Jun 18, 2012 3:11 pm

Greetings, fellow Lions! I see that there are many of you that I don't know, but perhaps that will change during the next weeks?

I don't usually post very frequently, and that may be the same even during July - but I want to be able to participate in this noble tournament, however small my contribution may be - so here I am! :)

1) Have you read anything by Lewis other than the Narnia Books?
Several other books. The Space Trilogy, Till We Have Faces, The Great Divorce, Screwtape Letters, The Dark Tower (short stories, the title story is unfinished - Lewis wrote himself into a corner), Mere Christianity, A Grief Observed, God in the Dock (and a few other of his Christian Essay books, or parts of them).

2) Which topics/forum sections are you most likely to post in? Which are your favorites to read and post in?
I'm most likely to post in the Talk About Narnia and the Narnia and Christianity sections. My favorite, where I have posted most, is Ditto Town ;)

3) What would you like to see discussed on NW that isn't being discussed already?
I don't know enough about what is being discussed ...

4) Any ideas as to how we can make our headquarters more homely? I was thinking a few hammocks might help.
I was going to say a few bookshelves, but I see that we've got a complete library already, so those bookshelves can be added there. I guess the library has a few comfortable armchairs as well?
*sits down in one of them to read*
(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)
Varnafinde
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum

Postby ValiantArcher » Jun 18, 2012 4:09 pm

Dernhelm, hopefully the link Narnian_Badger posted will help answer your questions. If not, or if you have more questions, feel free to ask in the questions thread. :)
Keep moving forward.
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby stargazer » Jun 19, 2012 9:20 pm

Hearty greetings to my fellow Inn Between/Ditto Story writer Varnafinde. Glad to see you join our ranks!

Narnian_Badger makes an excellent point: be sure to display a lion avatar once the competition begins July 1. (Guess I only have 10 days or so remaining for my current Transit of Venus image...)
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Ithilwen » Jun 20, 2012 9:29 pm

Only a few more posts before we make it to Page 4, you guys. ;) Can we make it there before the Dragons do?

Well, I finally got my new graphics up for the competition! :D

Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby wolfloversk » Jun 21, 2012 10:21 pm

I do think we can... Graphics look great Ithy! I decided to bring back an old sig for the occassion, myself ;)
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby Varnafinde » Jun 21, 2012 11:50 pm

*waves to stargazer*

I've got my lion graphics in place as well!
I've been collecting graphics from selected artists over the years, and now all I had to do was to go through my collection and look for lion themed items. So these are two of my favorites!
(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)
Varnafinde
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum

Postby Ithilwen » Jun 22, 2012 1:07 am

wolfloversk wrote:Graphics look great Ithy!

Thanks! :)

So fellow Lions, now that we know the schedule for the competition, shall we start forming our strategy? The competition is just little over a week away. ;)

(P.S. Two more posts until we're on Page 4!)

Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Jun 22, 2012 5:41 am

Please welcome Movie Aristotle to the team.
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

PreviousNext