This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Ditto Town Holiday Mansion, 2019

Home of chat, writing, and role-play.

Moderators: stargazer, Lady Arwen, Ryadian

Ditto Town Holiday Mansion, 2019

Postby Delia Death » Dec 17, 2019 6:54 pm

Welcome, traveler! Won't you come in and join the party?

Every year, Ditto Town hosts a Holiday Party, which usually starts during Chanukah and runs through the Feast of Epiphany. This year, all the holidays are starting later than usual, so we are technically opening it a little early, but hey, more time to party, right?

Everyone is welcome to join in! You can come as yourself, your favorite (original) character, even your favorite hat! Unlike most other Mansions, the Holiday Mansions are generally not heavily planned out, so there is quite a lot of room to enjoy eggnog or cider, kick back, relax, and catch up with some old friends. Hopefully you make a few new friends, too! While there are two Mansions open, the two are not occurring that the same time, so characters may be in attendance of both Mansions.

There are a few guidelines to keep in mind:
1) If you choose to come as a character (other than yourself), please do keep your characters original. Thus, showing up as Lucy Pevensie or Bilbo Baggins would be a no-no.
2) Do not fold, staple, mutilate, kill, or otherwise destroy, another writer's character(s).
3) Keep in mind that all general forum rules still apply.
4) Keep all posts rated “G” or “PG” for the sake of our younger members.

If you are new to Ditto Town, or are interested in learning a bit more about what goes on here, this is a perfect place to jump in, as no prior knowledge about the subforum is needed to participate. If, however, you have any questions, feel free to PM myself or one of the Ditto Town mods, and we would be happy to provide you with an answer. And if we don't know the answer, we'll either make something up, or refer you on to someone who does know. We're pretty good about knowing, though!

Come on in and join the fun!

D. Death
Delia Death
Ditto Town Host
Ghost Wrangler

Re: Ditto Town Holiday Mansion, 2019

Postby Ryadian » Dec 21, 2019 5:45 pm

Faye Brixton couldn't help but feel a wave of familiarity as she and Cody Lowell climbed up the steps to the Mansion door, with the snow blankets surrounding them. The only difference that she really noticed that was Cody wasn't quite so eager to run on ahead of her this time. Somehow, she didn't think it had as much to do with him being a year older and wiser, and had more to do with what happened the last time they'd visited the Mansion.

But, the invitations for the holiday party had assured them that the Mansion was quite safe. Faye would believe that when she saw it, but business had been slow in Ditto Town recently, and she didn't see as many of her friends as she would like under normal circumstances. And despite everything, Cody had once again asked her to take him, though this time he at least came out and said it. He was learning, after all. Faye hadn't quite figured out why the Lowells hadn't all come, but Cody hadn't volunteered the information and she didn't want to pry.

They stepped inside, and found that they were the first to arrive. Faye glanced around and smiled at the beautifully decorated foyer. She did note, with amusement, that all of the tables were paneled, rather than just having legs - if there was space under the tables, it wasn't easily accessible. Faye wondered if this apparent squirrel-proofing was intentional. She also wondered if, if a certain squirrel was in attendance, whether or not it would do any good.
N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren
Ryadian

Postby Lady Arwen » Dec 23, 2019 12:37 am

Maeve and Kaelin stood on a crest, overlooking Ditto Town. For once, the sisters had started their trek with no qualms or arguments about attendance, although the trip had been a singularly quiet one. This year, for whatever reason, was different; neither was in a particularly festive mood, yet neither wished to miss any of the season's festivities.

So they descended into town, the light snow growing heavier as they reached the door.

"I wonder what will happen this year," Kaelin mused, surveying the hall and shedding her coat.
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby Arwen_Daeneri31 » Dec 24, 2019 5:39 pm

Hannah arrived at the mansion after a long walk around Ditto Town, she had been familiarizing herself some more and was starting to feel more at home. She still wished her twin sister could have been around to join her, still she did bring her young sister with her; Ayla. The thirteen year old was behind her looking at her book like she always did and nearly ran into the mansion doors.

"Careful there book worm," she said playfully and opened the door. The two stepped in and removed their coats and hats and walked down the hall not entirely sure where to go.
It is a good rule after reading a new book, never to allow yourself another new one till you have read an old one in between.
–C.S. Lewis
Arwen_Daeneri31
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Lady Arwen » Dec 25, 2019 5:03 pm

Kaelin swirled around as the Mansion door swung closed behind them. She had caught sight of Cody, and wasn’t quite sure she was for hanging with someone who *ugh* felt he could boss people around just ‘cause he was older. So she popped back into the main hall and waved at the new arrivals.

“Hi,” she said, “I’m Kaelin.”

Maeve, on the other hand, had seen Faye at the last party, but had almost no chance to talk with her, and happened to have some questions about the possibility of retrieving a copy of a particular book.

“Mortereve, Faye,” she said. “How’s the year been treating you?”
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby Ryadian » Dec 26, 2019 10:49 am

Truth be told, Kaelin's feelings about Cody were mutual. He suppressed a groan, especially when she whirled around and snatched up the girl who looked to be about their age. Great. He'd just have to hope the Baxters would show up and Kaelin would be too distracted with the new girl to be in two places at once.

Despite having taken several seconds to roll his eyes at Kaelin and watch what she did, he still pretended like he hadn't seen her, and "casually" walked over to the catering tables with a muttered, "I'm going to get some food," to Miss Brixton.

"All right," Faye responded, a little surprised by his brusque behavior (she never had found out about what happened last year), but quickly turned her attention to Maeve. She smiled faintly and answered, "Oh, fairly well. Business has been slow, but I think that's been true for everyone in town. But, at least I had some time to get some reading done." She gestured with her eyes at Kaelin and asked, "And how about you and Kaelin? What have you been doing?"
Ryadian

Postby Lady Arwen » Dec 26, 2019 12:27 pm

"It's been a quiet year for us," Maeve admitted, "but I rather like it that way. Kaelin's nearly caught up in her studies, and I've actually been able to get a little translating done. I'm not sure if you're aware, but when I finally left my home planet, we had some concerns about, well, everything. The short of it is, there's a high possibility that these may be some of the last copies of these books, and they're not acclimatizing well to the climate here."
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby Arwen_Daeneri31 » Dec 26, 2019 10:30 pm

Hannah was quiet as the conversations went on for she was busy watching the teenager by the catering tables. I'm surprised she can find her way to the tables with her nose in a book, she thought to herself.

Ayla had made a beeline for the food, still engrossed by the fantasy novel she couldn't stop reading.
It is a good rule after reading a new book, never to allow yourself another new one till you have read an old one in between.
–C.S. Lewis
Arwen_Daeneri31
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Ryadian » Dec 28, 2019 2:32 pm

Faye felt a pang of sympathy. Maeve seemed to say it so casually, relatively speaking, but Faye couldn't imagine having the only copies of the books of her civilization. The enormous pressure she must be feeling! "Well, I'm glad you two have been doing well, but I'm sorry to hear about your books." She paused for a moment, before tentatively asking, "I'm afraid I can't remember, what was your planet called? I have some suppliers in strange places, comes with the territory around here. Maybe I can find someone who can help."

Cody, meanwhile, was startled when he realized that the teenager he didn't recognize, the one who'd come in with the young woman, was now at the catering table next to him. She was still reading her book, and he wasn't sure whether or not she even knew he was there. Cody debated whether it would be more rude to ignore her or to interrupt her book. Ultimately, he decided to chance it, but couldn't get his voice above an awkward mumble. "Um, hi. Nice to meet you. I'm Cody."
Ryadian

Postby Arwen_Daeneri31 » Dec 28, 2019 5:28 pm

Ayla Looked up from her book, her curious green eyes looked him over; a shy smile crossed her face as she spoke up. "Hello, I'm Ayla its nice to meet you." She placed the bookmark in the middle of her book and placed it under her arm.

Hannah, still keeping a close eye on the teen smiled when she saw her actually look up from the book and speak to someone other than her or her mother.
–C.S. Lewis
Arwen_Daeneri31
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Lady Arwen » Dec 28, 2019 6:00 pm

"Right, so, apparently I'm invisible now, too," Kaelin said as both of the new girls moved past her and into the hall. She looked around for something to do. As far as parties went, she decided this one was pretty boring. The Baxters were not in attendance, nor was Mel, or Delia, and there were no squirrels in sight.

"Maybe I should have brought a book," Kaelin grumbled, wandering through the hall.

Maeve, on the other hand, was quite elated to hear there might be a chance that Faye might have some applicable sources.

"Sayana," Maeve replied with a soft smile. "It's still there, but the Coalition has ruled it off-limits, due to the conditions. If you happened upon something, I would love to hear."

She paused for a moment.

"I know this is quite a long shot, but I'm also missing one of the books. Well, I have it, but it is too far damaged to read. It's the third book in Reichenau's codices. Do you think you might be able to put the word out that I'm looking for a copy?"
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby Meltintalle » Dec 28, 2019 8:39 pm

Mel, a St. Bernard dog, had spent a great deal of time in front of the mirror, making sure her fur was brushed and shiny and huggable. (How this was accomplished, since neither the mirror nor the dog had hands, this post does not attempt to describe.) She also had donned a giant velvet ribbon around her neck to give herself a properly festive air.

When Mel stepped outside her cave, she found it was already dark. It took more time to get to Ditto Town, but the Mansion was brightly lit and adorned with twinkling lights. She wagged her tail, eager to join the party, and burst through the doors.

True to tradition, the foyer floor was waxed, and Mel promptly slipped and scrabbled for several feet as she slid all the way through the foyer and into the dining room. She landed between a newcomer and Kaelin.

"Merry Christmas!" said Mel.
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby Bookwyrm » Dec 29, 2019 6:30 am

The Wanderer descended down on Ditto Town through the curtain of snow, the engines whining slightly under the strain. The ship was visibly worse for the wear and several crudely patched gashes were visible in its dusty blue hull.

A few minutes of conversation with the manager of Ditto Town’s starport and the mechanics that serviced the ships landing there and Gawain stalked through the quiet, snow-covered sheets toward the Mansion. It had been a long time since he had last set foot in the town, but it was still much the same as ever. He hoped to find food and a fire at the Mansion and company to take his mind off recent events.

Stepping through the Mansion’s front door, he took a moment to scan the small crowd. Many were unfamiliar to him, but there were two he did recognize. A rare smile crossed his face as he approached Maeve and Kaelin.
Bookwyrm
Moderator Emeritus
Lord of the Little Ponies

Postby Lady Arwen » Dec 29, 2019 6:02 pm

“Mel-y!” Kaelin exclaimed, throwing her arms around the big dog and burying her face in Mel’s soft coat. She leaned back and scritched under the St. Bernard’s chin. “I’ve missed you so much.”

She was busy petting Mel, so it perhaps took her a moment longer than usual to note the dark figure looming nearby. Her awareness of his presence came all at once, and she jerked her head up to look at him, then scrambled to her feet.

“Sir Gawain?”
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby Meltintalle » Dec 29, 2019 6:39 pm

Mel thumped her tail happily against the ground as Kaelin hit just the perfect spot under her chin. "It's been a long time," she said, closing her eyes. When Kaelin stopped to greet the newest arrival, she bumped her head against Kaelin's arm. Greetings were all well and good, but there was no need to stop petting the dog.

On the other paw, if there was going to be a group 'pet the dog', Mel would not complain.
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby Ryadian » Dec 29, 2019 9:31 pm

"Likewise." Cody stopped, realizing that he'd basically just told Ayla "Nice to meet you" twice. Blushing and hoping he didn't notice, he glanced at her book and commented, "That must be a good book, to bring it to a party. What's it about?"

---

Meanwhile, Faye pondered over what Maeve said. "Sayana...." The planet's name didn't immediately come to mind, neither did Maeve's mention of "the Coalition". Faye did her best to keep up on current events, but she didn't exactly get a newsletter on intergalactic politics. Still, a thought came to mind. "I do know someone who always has odd merchandise," she admitted, "and he's my main source of Reglian icefruit, so he must have a space ship or galactic contacts. I'll drop him a line after the party. If you'd like, stop by my shop sometime after the holidays and we can discuss it more."

As she spoke, she pulled out her sketchbook, and flipped it to the back. The front pages of her sketchbook was used for sketches - the back inevitably turned into a series of To Do lists. She tried to ignore the fact that far more of the back was filled up than the front. She quickly jotted down a note to send Orad a message first thing in the morning. She paused, then commented, "I don't suppose you have a phone number in case I hear from him?"

About then, she noticed Mel, as well as a shadowy man she didn't recognize. She waved happily to Mel, gave the stranger a polite smile, but wanted to wrap up her business with Maeve before visiting anyone else.
Ryadian

Next