Mansion: Winning Your Spurs

Home of chat, writing, and role-play.

Moderators: stargazer, Lady Arwen, Ryadian

Re: Mansion: Winning Your Spurs

Postby Ryadian » Apr 10, 2019 7:05 pm

"I'm Faye Brixton. Nice to meet you." Under the circumstances, that felt like a lie, but she also wanted to try to reassure the young man. Reassured that they were both all right, she turned back to the rest of the group and started trying to do a mental count of who all was there. She saw Molly, both Baxters, Miss Nordin... no red-haired man with the violin, though, and no Dr. Milner. But in hindsight, she couldn't remember who all had been there at the exact moment of the flash of light.

"Is everyone here that was at the party?"
N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren
User avatar
Ryadian
Moderator
 
Posts: 12150
Joined: Jun 10, 2004
Location: Minnesota, US
Gender: Female

Re: Mansion: Winning Your Spurs

Postby aileth » Apr 11, 2019 12:34 am

Molly cast a glance around.

"It looks like that's everyone, Faye, except possibly Dr Milner. But he wasn't in the room when whatever happened, happened. Do you have any idea of what's going on? All I know, is that I had nothing to do with it, this time."

"Anthony went into that place there," she continued, pointing to the tavern. "You can hear the music more clearly now, and his violin, too."
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
User avatar
aileth
Moderator
Peripatetic powder-room sub
 
Posts: 750
Joined: Jan 02, 2014
Location: Beautiful British Columbia
Gender: Female

Re: Mansion: Winning Your Spurs

Postby Blackstar » Apr 14, 2019 1:37 pm

"I d-don't know. I came i-in late w-with my p-parents and d-didn't really l-look around." Zake wasn't sure if the question was for him or someone else, but he didn't want there to be an awkward silence.
User avatar
Blackstar
NarniaWeb Regular
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Feb 14, 2019

Re: Mansion: Winning Your Spurs

Postby Lady Arwen » Apr 15, 2019 10:02 pm

“Name’s Benjamin Monroe, this here is Grace Tzu,” Benjamin said amicably, guiding Anthony to a barstool between them. He waved his fingers in the air, and Hugh nodded.

“Pleasure,” Grace said, accepting a beer from Hugh. The bartender placed another in front of Benjamin, and a third before Anthony.

“So what brings you to Original?”
Avatar thanks to AITB
User avatar
Lady Arwen
Moderator
The Mermod
 
Posts: 8078
Joined: Sep 14, 2005
Location: may vary
Gender: Female

Re: Mansion: Winning Your Spurs

Postby Meltintalle » Apr 16, 2019 7:01 am

Anthony set his violin back in its case and fastened the lid--all jokes about insurance aside, he had made the mistake of trying to pick it up before it was latched in the past and didn't want to repeat the experience.

"Research," he told Benjamin. "I'm working on a paper on immigrant heritage and how traditional songs are adapted into new circumstances. I'd never even considered available instruments as a factor until I met Harry!"

Picking up the glass, Anthony took a drink, trying to decide if it tasted anything like what he'd imagined a drink in an old frontier town should be. It might take some getting used to, he thought, but it wasn't bad. He took another. "It could change the entire paper, actually. You have a piano--an instrument that's difficult to transport, but which can provide an entire range of sound and percussion--and a kazoo which is the ultimate in portable music. But they're both easy enough instruments to learn, unlike, say, the bagpipes. Is this the extent of your musical talent in town, or does everyone play?"

Harry had knocked back his drink like it was nothing, so Anthony went for a third sip. "Oh! And thank you for inviting me to play with you. Such an honor!"
avatar by wunderkindlucy
Image
Visit the Silver Chair Reading Group!
User avatar
Meltintalle
Moderator
Ra-pun-z-mel
 
Posts: 7215
Joined: Oct 06, 2005
Location: Scanning your bookcases

Re: Mansion: Winning Your Spurs

Postby Lady Arwen » Apr 17, 2019 12:22 am

Benjamin and Grace exchanged a look as Anthony explained his research, and Grace shrugged. They listened intently, and both knocked back their drinks while pondering his question.

"Depends," Grace said slyly. "What do you call music?"

"If you call shootin' cowbells music, a good handful of us do," Benjamin chuckled. "But past that, most of us rather listen to somebody else play. Our little Bernadette, though, she's taken a liking to playing some little guitar that got left at the station a while back. What did Harry call it, Grace?"

"Mandolin," she said. "Harry's been teachin' her. Says his fingers are too big for it. Bit surprising, though, since he manages to get his fingers into most pies around here."

"I resent that," Harry said indignantly. "I am quite respectful of folks' pies."

"To be sure ya are, 'long as they're insured."

"I do appreciate another musician in town," Harry said, ignoring Grace's last jab. "It's good to have some fresh ears, especially ones that aren't tone deaf."
Avatar thanks to AITB
User avatar
Lady Arwen
Moderator
The Mermod
 
Posts: 8078
Joined: Sep 14, 2005
Location: may vary
Gender: Female

Re: Mansion: Winning Your Spurs

Postby Meltintalle » Apr 22, 2019 6:40 am

"I can't say I've ever shot a cowbell," said Anthony. "Does that happen often around here, or only on special occasions?"
avatar by wunderkindlucy
Image
Visit the Silver Chair Reading Group!
User avatar
Meltintalle
Moderator
Ra-pun-z-mel
 
Posts: 7215
Joined: Oct 06, 2005
Location: Scanning your bookcases

Re: Mansion: Winning Your Spurs

Postby Lady Arwen » Apr 22, 2019 10:33 pm

"Well, I'd more say it's our resident shooting expert's preferred method of teachin' long range accuracy," Benjamin said with a twinkle in his eyes. "But I've heard a few good renditions of Jingle Bells done that way, too."
Avatar thanks to AITB
User avatar
Lady Arwen
Moderator
The Mermod
 
Posts: 8078
Joined: Sep 14, 2005
Location: may vary
Gender: Female

Re: Mansion: Winning Your Spurs

Postby Meltintalle » Apr 24, 2019 4:43 pm

"Any way I could convince the expert to give me a demonstration?" asked Anthony. "It sounds...unique!"
avatar by wunderkindlucy
Image
Visit the Silver Chair Reading Group!
User avatar
Meltintalle
Moderator
Ra-pun-z-mel
 
Posts: 7215
Joined: Oct 06, 2005
Location: Scanning your bookcases

Re: Mansion: Winning Your Spurs

Postby Lady Arwen » Apr 24, 2019 5:51 pm

Benjamin looked over Anthony at Grace.

"What do you think, darlin'?" he asked.

"It's dark and I've had two beers. What could possibly go wrong?" she chuckled. "Sure, sounds shiny. Let's do it."

"Hugh, you still got that rifle behind the bar, or do I need to trot home to pick one up?" Benjamin asked.

Hugh gave him the evil eye.

"Aw, come now, don't be a poor sport, she's in a good mood."

"It's dark out," Hugh said shortly. "Nothin' good comes from traipsin' around in the dark."

"Can't hunt coons unless you're out after dark."

Hugh considered.

"Yeah, guess that is a night time activity," he grumbled. "Fine, take the rifle, but yer buyin' me a new one if you muss it up."

"Please, it's a baby. I always handle babies with love and care," Grace said, turning to Anthony. "Now, this baby isn't as nice as my baby, so it won't be quite the show, but she'll do. Gonna finish that drink?"
Avatar thanks to AITB
User avatar
Lady Arwen
Moderator
The Mermod
 
Posts: 8078
Joined: Sep 14, 2005
Location: may vary
Gender: Female

Re: Mansion: Winning Your Spurs

Postby Meltintalle » Apr 24, 2019 6:29 pm

In response to Grace's question, Anthony tossed back the rest of his glass. The grand gesture was wasted, however, since instead of being able to bridge directly into 'lead on' he coughed and spluttered as the drink burned on the way down.

"'M fine," he gasped, waving off any offers of assistance. "Just... got too excited."
avatar by wunderkindlucy
Image
Visit the Silver Chair Reading Group!
User avatar
Meltintalle
Moderator
Ra-pun-z-mel
 
Posts: 7215
Joined: Oct 06, 2005
Location: Scanning your bookcases

Re: Mansion: Winning Your Spurs

Postby Lady Arwen » Apr 24, 2019 8:11 pm

"Harry, you sure you aren't missin' a little brother?" Benjamin said, giving Anthony a good natured slap on the back. "Come on, y'all, let's go see some mighty fine shootin'."

Most everyone made their way to the door, joking and laughing. Even Hugh, who was loathe to come out from behind his bar, joined the merry makers, a rag in one hand and a glass in need of drying in the other. Petite Cecile and Grace chattered with each other, Grace gently petting the rifle. Harry hit a few merry notes on his kazoo, and Benjamin just looked pleased as punch that someone else was going to witness the wonder of a tiny Asian woman with a long rifle. Even Pat, handlebar mustache in tow, was tolerated by the merrymakers, other disputes set aside for daylight hours.

The women were the first out the door, but it took them a moment to notice the newcomers. When they did, they both ground to a halt. Cecile let out a small squeak. Their sudden stop created an appropriate domino effect that left poor Harry at the back, unable to see past Benjamin and Hugh's broad shoulders. The group immediately fell silent.

"Son," Benjamin said lowly, "do you need to tell us something?"
Avatar thanks to AITB
User avatar
Lady Arwen
Moderator
The Mermod
 
Posts: 8078
Joined: Sep 14, 2005
Location: may vary
Gender: Female

Re: Mansion: Winning Your Spurs

Postby Meltintalle » Apr 24, 2019 8:47 pm

Anthony honestly wasn't sure he'd expected to see the semi-familiar faces from the lecture when he stepped outside again. The twilight had darkened, but he recognized the woman from the conversation by the wall. Shivers went down Anthony's spine at Benjamin's question, lodged in his stomach, and wriggled like the beginnings of performance jitters. The big man at his side had become intimidating without skipping a beat.

Was the town unfriendly to bunches of strangers? They'd been welcoming enough to him when he burst in. They'd taken his research in stride. But it sounded a lot far-fetched to say they were all dreaming after a lecture.

On the other hand, if this was a dream, all he had to do was say something.

Anthony shrugged his shoulders and stalled for a little more time, hoping for a cue to play off of. "That... would depend on what sort of information you're looking for. Sir," he added, because Benjamin had a way of commanding respect.
avatar by wunderkindlucy
Image
Visit the Silver Chair Reading Group!
User avatar
Meltintalle
Moderator
Ra-pun-z-mel
 
Posts: 7215
Joined: Oct 06, 2005
Location: Scanning your bookcases

Re: Mansion: Winning Your Spurs

Postby Lady Arwen » Apr 24, 2019 10:04 pm

“Do you know these people?” Benjamin asked.

"I've met them," admitted Anthony. "They seem nice enough."

“Cecile, would you mind checking on the baby for me?” Grace asked. The two women nodded knowingly at each other.

Pat Balcom cleared his throat. "You want me to come along, Miz Cecile? It's gettin' dark out there--"

“Nope,” Grace said shortly, the rifle swiveling to hit Pat’s chest and block his path. “I think it’s best you stay put.”

“Pat, what do you know about these folks?” Benjamin began amicably. “Did Sol send for them?”

"He sent off for some surveyors," said Pat, looking down cross-eyed at the rifle poking him above the belt. "But they don't look like no surveyors I've ever seen."

While Grace held off Pat's misplaced gallantry, Cecile slipped around behind the group and headed down the street.

“Lot of women for surveyors, too,” Harry observed. Hugh smacked Harry with his towel and told him to hush.

“Pat, you know we’ve been givin’ you a free pass ‘round here what with bein’ kind about the repairs for the school and all. What’s Sol doin’? This more of his innovation and progress nonsense?”

"It ain't nonsense," said Pat. "Progress is a good thing--gives a future for the children. Why, I'd'a been starved if it hadn't been for the factories, and the learnin'. Lookit me now!"

“We were fine before ye came, we’ll be fine long after ye all have left,” Benjamin began.

“Don’t start now, you two,” Grace pleaded. “They’re all just standin’ there, lookin’ at us. Did they come with the fiddler?”
Avatar thanks to AITB
User avatar
Lady Arwen
Moderator
The Mermod
 
Posts: 8078
Joined: Sep 14, 2005
Location: may vary
Gender: Female

Re: Mansion: Winning Your Spurs

Postby Meltintalle » Apr 24, 2019 10:10 pm

Anthony was suddenly the center of attention again, and the way Grace was handling the rifle made him distinctly nervous.

“Did you travel with them?” Benjamin asked.

That was getting into things Anthony couldn't quantify. Did a poof count as travel? "Er," he said. "I suppose so? We were, um--is there a train here?"

“There’s no train until tomorrow,” Harry said. “They couldn’t have come this morning. We would have noticed.”

“Hush, Harry,” Grace said. “Let Benjamin do the talking for once.”

"Well it couldn't have been a stagecoach," Anthony protested. It had been going to be such a good metaphor, too, explaining how he could be part of a group and not at the same time. "There are too many of us."

“Who sent you?” Benjamin asked.

"No one," said Anthony. It was sounding like he was suspected of some sort of crime--or the others were, but there wasn't much they could have done in the time he'd been inside the tavern. Of all the turn-arounds… get a fellow in to play you a reel, and then accuse him of… whatever you needed to explain away. "Or if there was someone, I wasn't consulted."

“What’s your purpose in coming here?”

"I told you," said Anthony. "Research. I was interrupted before I could find out the juicy gossip on anyone else."
avatar by wunderkindlucy
Image
Visit the Silver Chair Reading Group!
User avatar
Meltintalle
Moderator
Ra-pun-z-mel
 
Posts: 7215
Joined: Oct 06, 2005
Location: Scanning your bookcases

Re: Mansion: Winning Your Spurs

Postby Ryadian » Apr 25, 2019 9:48 am

Faye nodded with Molly's explanation. "I had no doubt of that, Molly." She told her, reassuringly. "Unfortunately, I have no idea what just happened. I don't even how this could be some kind of prank - no one could possibly have changed things out this quickly." She restrained a twinge of annoyance with "Anthony" running off - by context, he must be the violinist - but if he was playing his violin, then he must not be in too much trouble. It also bothered her that Dr. Milner hadn't been there - he'd been involved in the event, so if it was part of that he'd probably know better than anyone else. Besides, if nothing else, he would act as a good guide.

Zale's revelation that his parents were missing were a much higher priority for her for now. She couldn't rightly leave either of the boys now, not to mention the fact that some people might be missing made her nervous. When he told her this, she turned to the others and proposed, "Let's do a head count, make sure we know exactly who we remember being there and make sure we know who we have in case we get separated."

While they were trying to organize this, a group came out of the tavern - or saloon, or whatever it was. Faye recognized the red-haired man who must be Anthony, but everyone else was a complete stranger. They looked on at the group of Dittopians with a mixture of shock and suspicion - and, though she couldn't actually hear the conversation, she could see that they were turning on Anthony.

She quietly whispered to the people she knew the best, "Dan, Angie, Molly, could you keep an eye on the boys?" With that, she walked over to the group, awkwardly in her new boots, and when she was a reasonable distance away, she called out, "Um... hi. I'm sorry, could you... tell us where we are? We seem to be lost."
N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren
User avatar
Ryadian
Moderator
 
Posts: 12150
Joined: Jun 10, 2004
Location: Minnesota, US
Gender: Female

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests