This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Mansion: Winning Your Spurs

Home of chat, writing, and role-play.

Moderators: stargazer, Lady Arwen, Ryadian

Re: Mansion: Winning Your Spurs

Postby Lady Arwen » Dec 11, 2019 10:07 pm

By the Tavern

Grace shook her head.

"That's a city man talking, there," she said. "Can't blame you, came from the coast myself (although I bet my city was a bit different from yours). This is cattle country. Cattle need water. And if you ain't used to them, they smell. Bustin' up the land and bringin' fancy folk in, well, that doesn't mix well with four legged creatures. When the gentry move in, folks like us have to move out."
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby Meltintalle » Dec 13, 2019 7:35 pm

By the Tavern

"You got me," admitted Anthony. "I know next to nothing about cattle. Just 'Git Along Lil Doggie' and so on... Say! You wouldn't happen to know where Wyoming is from here would you?"
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby Ryadian » Dec 15, 2019 1:58 pm

Leaving the Jail

"At this point, I think breakfast sounds like a good idea." Faye agreed. They walked the short distance back to the tavern, and lo and behold, there was Anthony, sitting and talking to Grace. Now, how to talk to Anthony without her listening in?

She walked up to them and waited for an appropriate break in the conversation. As soon as she saw an opportunity, she quickly inserted herself in. "Good morning, all. I hope we're not too early for breakfast?"
N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren
Ryadian

Postby Lady Arwen » Dec 15, 2019 2:45 pm

By the Tavern

“You’d have to head east to Blarghefur to get there, but there’s no train until tomorrow,” Grace replied to Anthony, before nodding and smiling at Faye. “We were just walking that way. Norah’s apt to have prepared you quite the feast.”
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby Arwen_Daeneri31 » Dec 16, 2019 4:47 pm

Leaving the Jail

Hannah agreed and followed behind Faye, she saw Grace and Anthony along the way and gave a small wave when greetings were exchanged. She would wait to say anything while they spoke.
It is a good rule after reading a new book, never to allow yourself another new one till you have read an old one in between.
–C.S. Lewis
Arwen_Daeneri31
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Meltintalle » Dec 16, 2019 7:03 pm

Breakfast at Norah's

Anthony led the little party back to Norah's--not on purpose, exactly, but he did have a long stride and all the talk of breakfast was making him hungry. One thing he could say about this place--the food was delicious!

In no time at all, they were seated around the long table. Anthony carefully tucked his violin case under his seat, and rested his heel against the side. He'd come too close to losing it for comfort, and he was going to be extra careful at least for the rest of the day.
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby Ryadian » Dec 16, 2019 8:05 pm

Breakfast at Norah's

Faye struggled to keep up with Anthony as he led their merry band, thinking to herself how she needed to get in shape when they got back. She was careful to make sure that once they arrived at the table, she snagged one of the seats next to Anthony, and hoped that the band coming from the jail would quickly take up the surrounding seats - especially before Grace or any of the other townsfolk could.

Faye kept her voice low, but she'd run out of subtlety for the moment and came right out: "Anthony, have you met the Sheriff here?"
Ryadian

Postby Arwen_Daeneri31 » Dec 17, 2019 8:23 am

Breakfast at Norah's

Hannah followed the group with long strides with a lot on her mind, which would explain her silence. Upon arrival she looked around the table and sat down next to Faye and looked at the remaining seats the others could sit in.
It is a good rule after reading a new book, never to allow yourself another new one till you have read an old one in between.
–C.S. Lewis
Arwen_Daeneri31
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Meltintalle » Dec 17, 2019 6:01 pm

Breakfast at Norah's

Anthony frowned at Faye's question and pitched his own voice low in return. "Not exactly," he said. "Just an impression of him in the crowd last night. Very sherrif-y, if you know what I mean. From what I've heard, he's an upstanding fellow in the community. Why do you ask?"
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby Ryadian » Dec 17, 2019 10:53 pm

Breakfast at Norah's

Faye nodded at Hannah with a faint smile as she sat down next to her. She was glad of the friendly company, so to speak.

Before turning back to Anthony, she took a quick glance to make sure that none of the townsfolk were watching or listening in. Satisfied that they weren't obviously doing so, she almost whispered to Anthony, "It's strange. If I didn't know better, I would swear that Sheriff Milner looked exactly like Dr. Milner. They're even both named Lyman. The sheriff was just confused when we asked him about it, deciding he must have a cousin that looks like him, but...." Faye shook her head.

"But you actually spoke to Dr. Milner in person before... all this happened. I was hoping to get your opinion on it."
Ryadian

Postby Arwen_Daeneri31 » Dec 18, 2019 7:27 pm

Breakfast at Norah's

Hannah returned the smile with one of her own and sat down and just listened to the conversation taking place. She was unsure of what to say for the moment while sitting at the table.
–C.S. Lewis
Arwen_Daeneri31
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Meltintalle » Dec 20, 2019 3:15 pm

Breakfast at Norah's

Anthony was about as subtle as a sforzando, but he took a good look at Sheriff Milner, and his reaction was an articulate, "Huh."

Taking his time over a mouthful of flapjacks drenched in butter syrup, Anthony mulled over the resemblance. He only had one idea for attempting to confirm or disprove Faye's theory, and given his conversation with Harry earlier and his own experience on the street when the rest of the group showed up the night before, Anthony wasn't all that eager to test the sheriff's patience. However, as pleasant a place as Original was it would be better if he could go home, or back to Ditto Town, at will. He squared his shoulders.

"Do you want me to go over and repeat the conversation we had at the lecture?"
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby Ryadian » Dec 20, 2019 8:38 pm

Breakfast at Norah's

Faye blinked. The idea was bold, to be sure - and very risky. But at the same time, if there was some connection from the two Lyman Milners, that might be a good way to draw it out. Then again, maybe it would just confirm that the name, the appearance, and everything else was just a strange coincidence.

Faye glanced at the others briefly, hoping they could read the "Well? What else are we going to do?" look on her face. Reluctantly, she turned back to Anthony and asked, "Well... I guess if you think it'd work...."
Ryadian

Postby aileth » Dec 20, 2019 9:31 pm

Breakfast at Norah's

Molly looked up from her stack of flapjacks, and nodded her agreement; she couldn't think of anything else, either.

"He shouldn't get angry if there's no connection. I mean, maybe he'll think you're weird, but--" Molly looked thoughtful. "Of course, if he is trying to hide something, he might get irate--and he does have a gun. You'd better be prepared to skedaddle, just in case, and we'll--well, we'll do what we can, too."
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
aileth
Peripatetic powder-room sub

Postby Lady Arwen » Dec 21, 2019 1:33 am

Grace has originally intended on heading the laundry after she dropped the young ones off at school, but Anthony’s questions (and new companions) piqued her interest. So she changed her mind and followed them to Norah’s for (second) breakfast. She waited until everyone was settled and intent on their food before she struck.

“When’d the two new sage hens show up?” She asked quietly, not bothering to look the sheriff in the eye.
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby Bob Saget » Dec 21, 2019 1:34 am

“Found ‘em in the jail this mornin’,” Milner replied, similarly focusing on his food.
Good mortereve! Come on in, the water's great!
Bob Saget
Ditto Town Host

PreviousNext