This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Ditto Town Holiday Mansion, 2018

Home of chat, writing, and role-play.

Moderators: stargazer, Lady Arwen, Ryadian

Re: Ditto Town Holiday Mansion, 2018

Postby Cleander » Jan 05, 2019 3:46 pm

Harry Herbert ascended the basement stairs, unsure of what time it was, or even where he was going. But two things he did know- he was hungry, and regardless of the time, it was time for breakfast.
The stairs wound upwards flight after flight, but at last he came to a door and peeked out. He saw a light-filled, highly ornamented hallway, and fortunately, no one was there. But there were noises of talking in the background. He would have to keep quiet.
He tiptoed down the hall, peeking through doorways and trying to make himself invisible. There seemed to be some sort of party in progress, but there weren't too many unwatched tables of food, which he was mainly looking for. But there were plenty of guests. All kinds of guests. Harry wasn't too sure that he didn't see a squirrel or two running about...
PM me to join the Search for the Seven Swords!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Find it on the Talk About Narnia Forum!
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Meltintalle » Jan 05, 2019 4:30 pm

Mel appreciated Cody's suggestion. When the squirrels started running by, her first instinct had been to growl, deep in her throat.

Why was it that wherever Pittersticks went, trouble seemed to be close behind?

She remembered all too well what happened the last time she'd chased a squirrel. With a huff, Mel went after the fallen ornaments instead. But she couldn't resist barking up at the squirrels.

"Is this the way you always behave at parties?"
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby Lady Arwen » Jan 05, 2019 7:58 pm

Kaelin watched Cody dash down the stairs. She and Grace made eye contact, and she patted Mel softly.

"Come on, let's go," she said, quickly following the older boy. She furiously hoped her sister wouldn't deal with the squirrels again, but also knew this was the perfect chance to slip away.

~~

Maeve, contrary to popular thought, thought Pitterstick's interruption highly appropriate and entertaining, and was quite ready to laugh at the entire situation.
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby Meltintalle » Jan 06, 2019 12:26 pm

Mel padded after the girls and Cody.
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby stargazer » Jan 06, 2019 6:36 pm

Grace saw the squirrels run by, which brought some mixed emotions based on what had happened the last time she'd seen this sort of thing. She was more than willing to go exploring with Kaelin and Mel.

Emma had wandered back to her parents and the three of them settled back to watch the demonstration about the 'traditional necessary dish.'

Maybe there's some secret ingredient or something that would make it more interesting, Dan thought to himself. He didn't mind the salad but wasn't sure what might make it so essential.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Lady Arwen » Jan 07, 2019 3:58 am

Kaelin bounded down the steps after Cody, reaching the bottom less than a minute later. Grace and Mel followed. All stood around for a moment, letting their eyes adjust.

“So cool,” Kaelin breathed. “Mel, do you want to play now, or should we all go exploring? It looks like some of this stuff could be eons old.”
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby Ryadian » Jan 07, 2019 11:04 am

"Woah, woah, what are you doing?!" Cody demanded. "I came down here to get an ornament, that wasn't an invitation! C'mon, we need to get upstairs before we get in trouble." He thought for a moment before adding, "Besides, it looks like no one's cleaned down here in ages. There could be about a million spiders in your hair right now - who knows how many more we'd find in the basement."
N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren
Ryadian

Postby Lady Arwen » Jan 07, 2019 6:15 pm

Kaelin rolled her eyes.

"Oh please, you can't tell me you're more scared of a little tiny bug than it is of you," she chided. "Beside, you can't tell me you're more interested in grape salad than in poking around down here, right?"
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Jan 07, 2019 8:13 pm

Twig's watched the squirrels race around. It was much more entertaining watching the guests and staff try to catch the squirrels. Twig's didn't feel any inclination to help in the chase. Finally, the chase was halted when Pittersticks leaped up on the card table and skidding to a stop next to the grape salad. For whatever reason, Owenbranch did not follow him up on the table.

Ottillia scooped him up. "You naughty boy," she scolded. She picked up his harness and started fastening him in. Meanwhile Violet had resumed her post at the grape salad and was stirring it. Meanwhile Pittersticks was gesturing wildly and going on and on about the indication of being chased around. "Owenbranch, how in the world did you manage to get unbuckled?" Not being a talking squirrel Owenbranch was silent. "Oh no!" She cried. "The biggest emerald from Owenbanch's collar is missing!"

Instantly, a change came over Pittersticks. He straighten up and started caressing his whiskers. "Mademoiselle," he said in foreign accent. "Do not fear. Pittersticks is on the case. I simply must put the little gray cells to work and will discover the solution to this mystery. Either Owenbranch lost the gem in the process of getting out of his harness or," Pittersticks surveyed the room, "there is a thief among us."

"I hope it just rolled away," Ottillia said fretfully. "Daddy will not let me buy jeweled harnesses for Owenbranch if it isn't found. Owenbranch lost one last month. It is insured but it would be much better if it could be found. I'll give a reward for its safe return. No questions asked."

"So," Pittersticks said. "This is not the first time a jewel has disappeared from Owenbranch's person. Look around the room. Was anyone here also present the last time a jewel went missing?"

"I don't think so," Ottillia replied.

"Well," said Pittersticks. "There are several possibilities. I am willing to allow for one coincidence, so it is possible this is an isolated incidence. Or someone could be here in disguise. Or have a partner here. Someone easily could have released Owenbranch from his harness to create a diversion or there is an opportunist here who made use of the time when everyone else was distracted. It is of course possible that it rolled away but I think that is highly unlike."

The waiters did not think it was highly unlikely. They were eagerly searching the floor and anywhere else they could think of. Pittersticks settled himself in a chair, leaned back, and gave the appearance of thinking hard.
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Postby Ryadian » Jan 08, 2019 2:01 pm

"You seem to be conveniently ignoring a very blatant possibility, Pittersticks." Faye pointed out, huffing as she finally made her way back down the stairs. 'Note to self - I need to get back in shape.' She glared at the squirrel sitting pretty in his chair, and she was in absolutely no mood to hold back after chasing him all the way upstairs only for him to come back down.

"You were under the table with Owenbranch while he still had the harness on. If anyone knows how he got out of it, it's you. Who's to say that you didn't unfasten it or take the emerald yourself?" She scoffed and gestured to the others in the room. "Unless you think there's anyone else in here who will vouch for your well-established character."

---

"You have heard of poisonous spiders before, right?" Cody bit his lip; he was going too far. "Look, I don't think we should be down here. Can we just get back upstairs before anything else happens? I mean, aren't your parents going to flip if they find out?"
Ryadian

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Jan 08, 2019 3:06 pm

"Moi?" Pittersticks said. "You dare to accuse me? Here, I turn the pocket inside out. You see there is no gem." He opened his mouth. "Nor is it hiding in here. I was merely having a nice talk with my fellow squirrel when he suddenly started chasing me. Oh, the indignity!"

"Ma'am?" Violet asked. "Would you like me to help in the search or finish stirring the grape salad?"

"Please finish the salad, Violet. I was going to save it for dinner but I feel we all need a snack to calm our nerves. You, there," she said to the nearest crawling waiter. "Please get some bowls and forks." The waiter jumped to his feet. "Yes, Miss Nordin. Right away Miss Nordin." He bowed and hurried off.

A few minutes later, he returned with a tray with bowls. "Good man," Ottillia said. "Wait here while Violet fills the bowls. Then you may take the bowls around to the guests. " The waiter obediently waited. Violet obediently filled the bowls. Ottillia set Owenbranch down on the ground and accepted one of the bowls. "Excellent," she proclaimed. The waiter went around offering bowls to other guests. Twig's accepted one and grabbed some cookies from the goodie table and returned to her seat.
Pattertwigs Pal

Postby Lady Arwen » Jan 08, 2019 8:04 pm

Kaelin laughed bitterly.

"Dude, stop trying to scare us. It won't work. My parents won't care. They've been ash for a while now."
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Jan 08, 2019 8:57 pm

Twig’s scooped up some of the grape salad. “Ouch,” she cried as she spit the mouthful back out. She looked at her bowl and reached in and pulled out the emerald. She used a napkin to clean it off. She got up walked over and handed it over to Miss Nordin. “I found this in my grape salad bowl.” She explained.
“Oh, thank you so much!” Miss Nordin grabbed the stone and tucked it into her purse. “She pulled out some money. And handed it to Twig’s. “I don’t need a reward,” Twig’s protested. “Nonsense! You must take it, or I shall be very insulted.” Ottillia shoved the money into her hand as the staff looked on jealously.
“Great,” Twig’s muttered. “I keep finding myself getting unwanted attention and handouts from the rich.” Twig’s glared at Pittersticks on the way back to her seat. She knew he couldn’t be responsible for her getting the gem, but she was quite sure he wasn’t innocent in the matter. “And,” she thought. “Now the whole staff is mad at me.”
Pattertwigs Pal

Postby Meltintalle » Jan 08, 2019 10:16 pm

Mel leaned up against Kaelin, tail thwapping the girl's leg in what she hoped was solidarity, but was probably just slightly annoying.

She wrinkled her nose, trying to sort out all the new scents that had appeared since they descended the stairs. Dust, yes, lots of dust. Old tree--probably from the ornaments stored down here. And something else...
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby Ryadian » Jan 08, 2019 11:09 pm

Faye watched the exchange as Twigs gave the emerald back to Miss Nordin, and despite her best instincts insisting, she couldn't quite find it in her to apologize to Pittersticks. She had never believed he'd steal it for the sake of having it, but stealing it for the sake of causing trouble? That she could believe. Instead, all she said was, "All you did was speak to him and he found reason to chase you? Why, that's so difficult to believe."

Faye accepted her bowl of grape salad and, upon tasting it, she had to admit it was good, but... she still wasn't understanding what was making it "essential". Well, so long as she didn't find any emerald pieces or squirrel hairs in hers, she wouldn't complain.

It was only then that she finally saw Molly Brown across the room. She smiled and waved. "Molly! It's so good to see you!"

---

Cody froze in place for a few moments, mentally smacking himself upside the head. One of these days, he was going to un-master the art of saying exactly the wrong thing. Or, maybe this Kaelin girl was just impossible to please. At this point, "both" seemed like the best answer. He took a deep breath; he was going to need to start over. "Look, I'm sorry, I didn't know. I didn't...." He stopped. Anything beyond "I'm sorry" would probably just make things worse.

"Look, I came here with my boss. And... I don't want to know what she'll do if she finds out about this. None of us should be down here and I can't just go back up by myself. Can we please just go back upstairs?"
Ryadian

Postby Lady Arwen » Jan 09, 2019 1:15 am

Kaelin looked at Grace and shrugged.

"Fine, but if you really don't want anyone to notice, we should probably use the stairs by the main entrance," she hedged, picking up an ornament that seemed of proper fetching size. "That way it will just look like we were hanging in the hall, instead of coming back up in the middle of the grape salad demonstration."
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

PreviousNext