This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Mansion: Cruise on the Titan IC!

Home of chat, writing, and role-play.

Moderators: stargazer, Lady Arwen, Ryadian

Re: Mansion: Cruise on the Titan IC!

Postby stargazer » Aug 15, 2018 1:42 pm

Grace was glad to accept some water from Ms. Twig's, and then set about looking in the luggage as she'd been asked. She felt a little guilty and sneaky all at the same time since she was getting to do something her parents had taught her not to do - go snooping around in other people's things.

She'd dragged a couple pieces of luggage away from the shore and then began sorting out the contents into separate piles - clothing, accessories, odds and ends, and so on.

It wasn't long before her ears caught a familiar voice coming from down the shore. "Daddy!" she screamed, and was off like a shot, luggage duties forgotten.

Dan saw her coming and crouched so he could better accept her hug. Then he picked her up and carried her the remaining short distance back to their base camp.

"Look who we found," he called as they approached, gesturing to Mr. Gladstone.

He was content to sit on a flat rock near the edge of camp, and Grace situated herself in his lap. He briefed the others on what they'd found and let them know all were safe. But they all knew, without having to ask, that they hadn't found Angie yet.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Ryadian » Aug 17, 2018 9:48 am

Faye smiled dryly. "You'd be surprised what's possible around Ditto Town." She paused and added, "Have you ever been there?"

Knowing that at least someone around here had training for this sort of situation was a relief. Faye had done her best to make rational decisions based on what information she had, but truth be told, she was mostly just guessing. Having at least one person in their camp with training meant a lot.

As they continued on, the squirrel (?) tracks were the only ones that were distinct, but there were others here and there. Mostly, it looked like animals who had walked up to the stream, taken a drink, and walked on. Faye couldn't help but notice that some of the tracks, smudged and indistinct as they were, were quite large - definitely large enough for a jaguar or panther or the like. Faye found it wasn't any more comforting to try to think of what jungle animals they might belong to who weren't predators, especially since the list seemed to be rather short.

Importantly, though, she wasn't seeing any clear human tracks. Mr. Gladstone had washed up nearby, so she'd held out some hope that they'd find someone else here. But, she was beginning to doubt that would happen on this trip.
N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren
Ryadian

Postby Meltintalle » Aug 17, 2018 6:05 pm

Mel couldn't suppress the shudder that ran through her body as the others talked about milk. She didn't mind it herself, but she associated milk with cats--and while she'd met perfectly nice cats, there was always the chance of getting a harsh whack on the nose when you were minding your own business.

It was going to take awhile at this rate to get Ainsley and Jeff back to camp. Mel ranged ahead and to the sides, checking over the ground again. There could be someone else out there.

Or a cat.
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby aileth » Aug 18, 2018 3:01 pm

"Can't say I've ever been to Ditto Town. I'll have to make a note to visit some day," Molly said, with a thoughtful air. "Shall we go back now? There's no sign that any humans have come this way thus far."

She glanced up through a thinning in the canopy above them. "Uh-oh! that doesn't look too promising." Waving at a black column of smoke that was billowing into the air, she set off toward camp at a run.

-----------

Ithamar Cadwallader Waters had become so engrossed in his attempts at fire-making, that he remained unaware of the return of some of the party. Slowly the wood had begun to smoulder, followed by a tiny wisp of smoke, and then a flicker of flame. Gently he nursed it, adding small shreds of frayed fiber. Great pleasure filled his soul, and he gazed, enraptured.

It was less than pleasant to feel someone clap him on the back, recalling him to the here and now. "Oh, you're here," he mumbled, without any graciousness. "What do you want?"

But while he was distracted, his pet fire had found a mind of its own, reaching out greedy fingers to fill its insatiable maw. The large pile of driftwood, so painstakingly gathered by the girls, was soon burning fiercely with blistering heat.

Terrified, exultant, all at one time, Waters fell back before this monster of his own creation. Ignoring the others, he groped for a bottle of pills to soothe his ragged nerves. Suddenly, he remembered. He had put down his bag to carry coconuts--his precious bag, with all its precious medicines! Hurried steps led him towards the trees, intent on rescuing his precious pills. With a howl of agonized despair and rage, he beheld only emptiness. It.was.not.there!
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
aileth
Peripatetic powder-room sub

Postby narnianerd » Aug 18, 2018 10:47 pm

"Figures, whole boat sunk and I'm be the only one injured," grumbled Ainsley as the small group stepped off again towards the base camp.

"I don't care what those scientists think, it's down to a lack of good ole lactose."

"Jeff, you generally don't care what anyone thinks."

"Truth."

"So, where are you from, originally?" Ainsley asked Xandria, making conversation in a attempt to pass the time.
you had me at meah
narnianerd
NarniaWeb Fanatic
Assisstant Lord of the Little Ponies

Postby Lady Arwen » Aug 18, 2018 11:02 pm

"Well, um, I'm originally from a place called Burg, but then I, I spent a long time living in--at--Lake Brume before I moved to Dittotopia," Xandria said, awkwardly putting a hand on Ainsley's waist to steady her as they stepped over washed up seaweed.

"What about you? Where do you hail from?" she asked.
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby narnianerd » Aug 18, 2018 11:55 pm

"Well, strangely enough I'm essentially a native of Ditto Town. We've lived here for at least ten generations on my dad's side. History gets a bit fuzzy after that."

"Ainsley's family is very old money," added Jeff. "I, on the other hand, grew up mining platinum on an asteroid in orbit around Dittokalar. So you could say that my family is the exact opposite of money, regardless of how old it might be. Why'd you decide to move to Dittotopia?"
you had me at meah
narnianerd
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Lady Arwen » Aug 19, 2018 12:02 am

"I was in need of a, uh, change of scenery. And people," Xandria replied shortly, glancing over at Mel. Mel was obviously listening, but hadn't interjected yet, which in retrospect was rather wise. No one was asking her any questions. Or maybe they didn't know they talked. Xandria adjusted Ainsley's arm over her shoulders, and wondered exactly how far down the beach they had managed to come. It looked like the tide was beginning to come in.

"I like it, though, in Dittotopia. It's--quiet," Xandria finished.
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby narnianerd » Aug 19, 2018 12:11 am

Jeff burst out laughing, "you must not live in town. In my experience this place is anything but quiet. Something crazy is always going down, without fail. Just last week we had to deescalate a gang war between the Orcs and Tusken Raiders. They were fixing to tear the place apart."

"Jeff is a police officer in the DTPD," Ainsley explained.

"What about you, Xandria, what do you do?"
you had me at meah
narnianerd
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Lady Arwen » Aug 19, 2018 12:19 am

"I--I mostly spend time by myself, now," Xandria said quietly. "Away from, away from people. Far away. I needed a rest."
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby narnianerd » Aug 19, 2018 12:38 am

Jeffery looked Xandria up and down, studying the young girl. He reached for words to reply, but before he could find them the quadro was abruptly accosted by a massive wave. The force of which was more than enough to knock the three humans off their feet, covering them once again in salty water, if only momentarily. Once Jeff's ears cleared of water, he was greeted by the sound of Ainsley cursing like a sailor, her bum leg had torqued as she fell and she was now verbally expressing her immense pain in an r-rated manner.
you had me at meah
narnianerd
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Lady Arwen » Aug 19, 2018 12:52 am

Xandria found herself tumbling through the wave and into a feeling that she was all too familiar with. Sharp pains, like the growing pains of a child, but in an adult size serving, shot up through her body, and when the wave washed back out, she was left, stranded on the sand with a tail instead of legs.

"Dernit!" Xandria exclaimed. "I just got that pair of pants!"
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby narnianerd » Aug 19, 2018 12:59 am

"Well, that's a new one, even for me." Commented Jeff, sitting cross-legged in the newly-wet sand. "A mermaid huh? Anyone else got anything they're hiding? Ainsley, you'd better not grow wings and fly away. Jeeze, next thing you know we'll find out that I'm a dern robot and that the puppers is a friggen talking doggo, never a dull moment I tell y'ah."
you had me at meah
narnianerd
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Meltintalle » Aug 19, 2018 5:12 am

Being lower to the ground, Mel was not knocked off her feet by the wave, but she was soaked again, and salt water getting in her nose made her sneeze.

"Ach-whoo cough is the best... baseball player... inhale in the world? cough Ruuuufff--Babe Ruuufff."

Remembering the last time, Mel moved several paces away before shaking herself vigorously. Her voice sounded much more normal when she finished.

"Just a little talking dog joke to make you comfortable."

Xandria hadn't really wanted to talk about being a mermaid, but looking at the state of the party now, the offer had to be made. "Should I fetch the others? See if they can come up with a sledge or something?"
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Aug 19, 2018 5:34 pm

Twig’s was in the water when she caught site of two people approaching camp. She grabbed a leg of a bar stool that was nearby and started for shore. In her haste, she tripped on a shell and ended up under the water. Grumbling to herself, she picked herself up and continued to the people. Twig’s was glad to see Dan return and even pleased to see Junior – until she got closer and saw how he seemed to be enjoying himself. She felt a snarky comment rising inside her, but she listened to all that Dan had to tell them. She was just about to say something about people having fun while others were working to Junior when she saw Mr. Waters’ small fire catch the larger pile of driftwood on fire. She let out a surprised exclamation and rushed up the beach to the fire, stopping at the pile of salvage to grab a large mixing bowl. She used the mahogany bar stool leg to disperse the wood across the beach. Being care not to get the little fire, she started trying to salvage as much of the wood as possible by filling the bowl with sand and pouring it on the burning wood.
~~
Pittersticks couldn’t help it. He started laughing uncontrollably at the disaster with the fire and Mr. Waters’ confusion at finding his bag moved and coconuts in its place. Pittersticks had a low voice for a squirrel and often had a deep maniacal laugh. However, when he was very excited he became more squirrelish so this laugh was quite high pitched.
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Postby Ryadian » Aug 19, 2018 7:56 pm

Faye had already planned to agree to Molly's suggestion of going back, even before they noticed the smoke rising from the horizon. Then, any other plan was abandoned. They followed the stream back to the edge of the forest, before hurrying back as quickly as they could to the beach. Faye was glad that she'd kept in relative shape even while running the store, but even so, it was going to take a while for them to get back.

In fact, they got back just about in time to see Twig's pouring sand on some of the fire. Faye quickly realized the value of this idea, and quickly started kicking more sand onto the fire. Remembering that her shoes were still rather damp from her time the water, she didn't hesitate to stomp on some of the burning pieces as well, and hoping the ambient moisture would protect her shoes. (She didn't dare to hope that another pair in her size would wash up on shore.)

She couldn't help but add, "Never a dull moment on this relaxing voyage, huh?"
N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren
Ryadian

PreviousNext