This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Mansion: Cruise on the Titan IC!

Home of chat, writing, and role-play.

Moderators: stargazer, Lady Arwen, Ryadian

Re: Mansion: Cruise on the Titan IC!

Postby Lady Arwen » Oct 18, 2018 9:05 pm

"Yes, I think that would be appropriate," Maeve said sweetly, walking over and inspecting the box. "We'll all have a chat after the sun has set--but we really should get a shelter taken care of, first."

She struggled with the lid slightly, then popped it open, picking up the machete and inspecting the contents.

"Dan, Angie, there's antibiotics in here. Junior, can you get that tarp?"
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby stargazer » Oct 19, 2018 11:50 am

"You're right, of course, Maeve. Grace and I will be happy to help in any way we can."

He turned to Molly. "I apologize for snapping at you. There's enough to do without random strangers getting in your face."

He returned to his post at his wife's side. "I have a favor to ask, though. We shouldn't leave Angie alone, and I think it's best if Grace or I are with her. We're most familiar with her moods and may notice things more quickly.

"Also, if Grace goes out to gather things, I'd prefer her not to be alone. Night is coming and there's no telling what surprises it has. In fact, it may be best to send everyone out in groups or pairs for safety."

He watched as Junior came out with the emergency kit. And it had antibiotics. Great news!

He gratefully took the antibiotics from the box and sat down to read the dosing instructions. Angie groaned and he turned to her. "How are you feeling?"

"All right. Just sore, I guess." She blinked and stared at him. "You're sure Emma's all right?"

"Other than being spoiled by grandparents, yes."

"Why can't I remember?" She paused and added, "I can't even remember your parents' names."

He could do little more than hold her and try to comfort her. While thankful for Maeve's thoughtful care, he wished again for a fully-staffed trauma center to care for her.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Lady Arwen » Oct 19, 2018 10:51 pm

Maeve nodded at Dan.

"Angie and Ainsley should definitely not be left on their own--neither of them is in a position to be up and moving around without assistance. Why don't you stay here, and Grace and Kaelin can help the three of you sort through and organize what has already been collected and what is brought back between now and sundown? Out of the rest, one group can collect driftwood, another retrieve the tarp and some more water, and the third can set a frame up for a shelter. We wouldn't happen to have the luck of having any other experienced outdoorsmen, would we?"
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby Movie Aristotle » Oct 19, 2018 11:35 pm

“I’ll get the tarp right directly,” Junior said as he bounded off. He slowed and looked back at the group for a moment, before turning his head out to the sea and the reddening sun over it. Now was a good time for him to show the folks how quickly he could build a shelter. He could get a job done if he focused on it.

Soon he’d brought the tarp back to camp and had prospected the best fallen tree to use as the beam for their shelter. -Best to focus on creating one shelter tonight that everyone could huddle under in case of rain (although by the sky there wasn’t much chance of it) and then build roomier abodes in the morning. The tree was about twenty feet from the fire, away from the river, and had fallen in such a way that there was about two feet of space underneath the middle of it. With a little digging, sand could be cleared to make even more room. He hated to stereotype, but he ask Mel if she mightn’t mind helping with the digging. Then, using the machete and enlisting the help of one of the other gentlemen, he cut some bamboo-like plants to prop against the tree so the tarp wouldn’t droop to the ground once they draped it over. They notched the tree in places so the bamboo would stay in place more easily. Then, they stretched the tarp over the construction and anchored the corners with medium sized rocks that one of the girls had provided. It was snug, but it would do for the ladies for the night at least. As for Junior, he intended to sleep under the stars and laid a found beach towel under a palm tree for that purpose. He’d need a blanket before the night was through, but he was confident he’d find one amongst the piles of found items. He quickly took some of the leftover choppings and built up the fire, which his feet would point towards when he sat on his towel. He then asked Miss Twig’s where he could find some dental floss. -He was sure to need some before bed.

Finally, his job finished, he sat on his blanket and watched as the sun touched the sea. It was a romantic moment, and for a minute his mind wandered back to a recent memory, from on ship. All too soon, the daydream was gone, as was the day. But then again, there was always tomorrow. And what opportunities might that bring? But for now, he sat watching the others and pondering his circumstances as he organized his shells.
Movie Aristotle
Movie Aristotle
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby narnianerd » Oct 20, 2018 7:08 pm

"No wonder those tickets were so friggen cheap." Ainsley grumbled as she finished assembling a makeshift crutch from whatever she could accumulate from her stationary position.

"You aren't planning on using that, are you?"

"I've got boots with more time in the woods than you do, Jeff. Look at me, while richy rich is over there assembling that tarp of his, we need to figure out a way to keep us off the ground. Hypothermia will kill us faster than anything else out here and nothing will sap the heat from your body quicker than sleeping directly on the dirt."

Ainsley chucked a pebble at Maeve's foot, the woman seemed to have a good head on her shoulders.

"What do you think?"
you had me at meah
narnianerd
NarniaWeb Fanatic
Assisstant Lord of the Little Ponies

Postby Lady Arwen » Oct 20, 2018 7:18 pm

Maeve let Junior plow ahead, saying little and being sure to smile adoringly whenever he looked her way. Two could play this game, she thought, eyeing the makeshift shelter he had constructed. To be fair, it was a decent structure, and he knew his way around a machete, but then again, she had only relinquished the machete because she knew she had a better weapon up her sleeve.

In short, her opinion of Gladstone had not changed since she first set eyes on his bleached-duds clad backside.

She would deal with him later. For now, work needed to be done, and if Gladstone was going to keep busy cutting up bamboo, she would focus her efforts elsewhere. Ainsley's pebble, somehow, crystalized her plan, and she grinned at the redhead.

"You know it," she said. "While a bamboo floor would probably be best, one machete only goes so far. Perhaps us ladies could start building some mats? We have enough fronds around to tie mats. Although someone should probably run for more water."
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby narnianerd » Oct 20, 2018 7:46 pm

"You hear that, Jeff? You could actually be useful! Why don't you go gather some water babe?"

Jeffery had himself a good laugh, "I oughta break your other leg."

"Seriously though, take someone with you. Its getting dark out there, nobody should be walking around alone. Faye, would you like to go along with Jeff? He needs someone to look after him."

Ainsley turned to Maeve, "mind passing me a pile of them fronds?"
you had me at meah
narnianerd
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Lady Arwen » Oct 20, 2018 7:58 pm

"Sure thing," Maeve replied, smiling at Ainsley. "Kaelin, Grace! You can help prep these, too."

She directed them to pull the fronds around camp near Ainsley and Angie, going a few feet under the canopy herself to gather more. Once they had settled a good pile within reach of everyone, she settled beside Ainsley.

"I see you've done this before. Spent much time in the tropics before?"
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby narnianerd » Oct 20, 2018 9:52 pm

"Once or twice, on a few different planets. I'm a bit of an explorer myself, but I honestly was looking forward to a nice relaxing cruise. Figures the one time I dont go looking for trouble it finds me." Ainsley replied as she began to braid the fronds into an intricate mesh.

"What about you? You seem to know you way around a bad situation."
you had me at meah
narnianerd
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby stargazer » Oct 20, 2018 10:35 pm

Grace was glad to do as Maeve had instructed, and helped collect the pile of fronds. Her outdoor experience was limited to 'car camping' - sleeping in a tent in a campground, their car nearby should anyone need anything, and she could see sleeping on the fronds would be better than on the bare ground.

She sat down with a few fronds in hand, but didn't know exactly how to do what was expected. She watched Ainsley go to work on her fronds and tried to imitate her, but with limited success.

She looked up to her friend. "Kaelin, could you show me how to do this?"
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Lady Arwen » Oct 20, 2018 11:40 pm

Maeve's face grew dark for a moment.

"War tends to give you a pretty good idea about survival," she said quietly. "And if you didn't learn it from that, a dead planet tends to do pretty well."

Kaelin's head jerked up.

"But you said it wasn't--" she started.

"It's not livable for little girls," Maeve replied. "and it shouldn't be for anyone for a long time."

Kaelin bowed her head and focused on her work, and Grace's question came as a welcome distraction.

"It takes a few tries to get it down, but it works pretty easily after that," she said, leaning over Grace's coconut leaf. "You'll want to put the end of the leaf on your left side, and then fold over the little fronds from up here to down here, and lace them through here and...and...well, do that and I'll show you the next part, it's hard to put it in words."

The two girls clustered together on the same leaf, Kaelin walking Grace through the steps, her own leaf abandoned for the moment.

((OOC: Gazer, if you are interested, here is a written article about braiding styles, and here is a video, although it is a half-frond weave))
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby narnianerd » Oct 21, 2018 12:44 pm

Ainsley took a moment and paused what she was doing in order to contemplate the correct response to this sudden, dark revelation. For the umpteenth time she was reminded of the privilege of her upbringing. How selfish she felt, for seeking out danger and excitement all those years when people are literally losing their home planets to war and terror.

"I'm sorry, that must have been awful. How do you deal with something like that?
you had me at meah
narnianerd
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Ryadian » Oct 21, 2018 1:42 pm

Faye nodded to Ainsley's suggestion. "Good idea. It's getting to dark for anyone to go out alone." Faye quickly grabbed the bowl they'd been using, as well as a couple of other suitable containers, and walked back to Jeff.

She gestured the way forward and explained as she walked, "It's a pretty straight-forward path, basically just follow the beach for a while and then there's a stream." She glanced back at the group and added. "I was hoping to move the camp down there, but since we're not exactly mobile at the moment, I think we'll have to be content with making a barrel or something...." 'In the morning.'
N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren
Ryadian

Postby Lady Arwen » Oct 21, 2018 3:23 pm

Maeve shrugged.

"How do you not? If you don't, all you've got left to do is die. So you adapt, you learn, and you play for keeps."
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Oct 21, 2018 6:42 pm

Twig's had just approached the pile of drift wood with another armful, when Junior asked her about dental floss. She was so surprised by the request she couldn't think of an answer. Twig's had asked Pittersticks to accompany her. When he complained about being asked to do manual labor, she told him it was because she felt safer with him. He was flattered at the idea of being a protector. She only felt safer because she could keep an eye on him. Pittersticks was rarely at a lost for words. "I'll go get you some," he said. Twig's mechanically moved over to the wood pile and deposited the wood on the pile. She was deep in thought. Junior was an enigma. Sometimes he was the most arrogant annoying person ever. Who thought about dental hygiene at a time like this? Yet, he had a kind side. He'd noticed her eating by herself a few times and had joined her. He made a better shelter than she ever could have. Yet, now he was sitting by the fire organizing sea shells. How could he be enjoying this? Did he know something they didn't? And what was Pittersticks up to being helpful?

Pittersticks finally located some dental floss and bounded back to Junior. Here you go Mr. Gladstone, sir. He settled himself next to Jr. This is quite a romantic spot isn't it? Not waiting for a reply he went on. "A handsome man like yourself ought to have a woman or two by your side. Now I know that Twig's is merely tolerable and not handsome but she is likely one of the only females here who is not completely furious with you.

Twig's snapped back to reality and turned bright red. "Pittersticks," she yelled and started to lunge at him. Either she tripped over something or she lost her balance due to weakness from hunger and exhaustion, but she ended up flat on her face in the sand. Maybe the sand would swallow her up. It was bad enough when Pittersticks had written, "“She is tolerable, but not handsome enough to tempt [one]." on her cabin door, but that was done in secret and she didn't even know if Mr. Gladestone had actually seen that, "It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife." written on his door. But now there could be no doubt that Pittersticks was trying to recreate Pride and Prejudice. That stupid squirrel must have read her journal.

Pittersticks bolted away laughing and ran right into a pile of fronds near where work on the mats was in full swing.
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Postby Meltintalle » Oct 21, 2018 8:02 pm

Mel laid down after assisting Mr. Gladstone with the shelter. It had been a long day, with many emotional ups and downs, and she was exhausted. When Twigs snapped at Pittersticks and the squirrel ran in front of her nose, Mel leaped to her feet, animal instincts coming to the fore.

"WOOOOOF!" The bark exploded out of nowhere, and Mel lunged after Pittersticks.

Fronds went flying as dog and squirrel raced through.
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

PreviousNext