This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Cavern Tavern II

Home of chat, writing, and role-play.

Moderators: stargazer, Lady Arwen, Ryadian

Re: Cavern Tavern II

Postby Lady Arwen » Nov 19, 2018 9:23 pm

Mansion - PitterCube

I was thinking if Pittersticks was set at the hypotenuse, then each side should be about 1.5, but either way....maybe we need to retcon him out of a cube and go for more of a freezeframed squirrel? An eastern grey squirrel clocks in at 1 foot at longest and 1.3 pounds heaviest, according to google. So, if our talking squirrel is twice the length, perhaps he is also twice the width? If we add a few pounds for a couple centimeter coating of ice on all sides, then we would have a much more manageable ten pound squirrel.
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Nov 20, 2018 1:39 pm

Mansion - Happenings on the Island
Works for me. I love how thoroughly we are thinking and planning about a frozen squirrel!

So to continue in the thinking department, I'm trying to reconcile what Jr. says and what Molly says. (I know the authors of each character have their own ideas, but I like to try to solve mysteries.)

My ideas: (As there seems like there is no doubt that the passengers were wrecked on purpose, I'm assuming that is a fact.)

1. Molly is lying about Jr. being on the last cruise. Either she is trying to save her own skin or Javier ordered her to say that if she was questioned about her last cruise.
2. Jr is lying about not knowing about the shipwreck adventure and was on Molly's last cruise.
3. Jr was on Molly's last cruise but thought they were actually shipwrecked.
4. Molly and Junior are both telling the truth; the Junior on the last cruise was an imposter / impersonator. Maybe Javier was testing the waters to see if he could have put someone in Jr place that would not try to actually run the cruise line. This could have not worked for a lot of reasons - the man fell apart when things got rough, was too expensive etc. Now Javier needs to get rid of not only Jr but also Molly because she might be able to notice subtle differences between the 2 Jrs. Also, her last camp was a disaster. Javier had someone sneak on the island and remove the radio and plant at least one supply box. Or alternately has someone hiding on the island to make sure Junior was the one to find the supply box. This person could either still be there or have slipped off the island since. Since they had to dump the whole group, Javier wants to set Jr up to be the bad guy.

None of this of course has to be used. It's not up to me to decide what any of the mentioned characters do. I just can't resist overthinking. ;))
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Postby Lady Arwen » Nov 20, 2018 6:44 pm

Mansion - Twig's Ideas

Yes, if we only applied our careful planning and consideration over the squirrel to everything else.... ;))

I personally am a fan of #3, because I'm fairly sure Junior could come up with a great "why does this keep happening to me???" speech, but again, not my characters, not my decision. :P
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby Movie Aristotle » Nov 20, 2018 10:16 pm

Mansion

Okay, I did not realize that this thread existed. #-o This will undoubtedly be very useful over the next few days...

There is definitely a lot to reconcile, but on the bright side, we seem to be heading to a climax naturally. Now the only question is whether the castaways can fix this on their own or if we need to rely on a dues ex machina.

Considering the options aforementioned by Twig’s, I like option 1 best. Perhaps Molly is a henchman, or perhaps she is covering for someone?

Options 2 & 3 are out for me. The shipwreck experience is new to Junior. He’s too rich to be dishonest and adversity seems too new for him to have been shipwrecked once before.

Lady Arwen wrote:Mansion - Twig's Ideas
I personally am a fan of #3, because I'm fairly sure Junior could come up with a great "why does this keep happening to me???" speech, but again, not my characters, not my decision. :P

I must admit, that does sound entertaining. ;))

As for option 4, I started leaving clues in the ballroom post that would leave that option open should anyone want to direct the story that way. Speaking of the ballroom post, I edited it slightly near the end so that Javier would still have a motivation to off any characters whose authors (for logistical or character consistency reasons) do not want them present at the party.

At this point, it seems that aileth has the power of resolution to this story. Either Molly has to drop some new information, or Waters has to uncover the truth based on his investigations. Although I also like the deus ex machina of having Waters’ investigation firm show up on ship and fixing everything from that end. ;))
Movie Aristotle
Movie Aristotle
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby aileth » Nov 21, 2018 10:16 am

Mansion - complications: is Molly guilty?

Eek! And resolutions are not my strong point. I'll have to think about that. Ideas are welcome, if anyone has a shape in mind.
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
aileth
Peripatetic powder-room sub

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Nov 22, 2018 5:38 pm

Mansion- Cruise, the Mystery
I have no ideas about how the group gets off the island but I do have some ideas that could guide the group to the conclusion that Javier is to blame and that both Molly and Junior are telling the truth. This is assuming we are going with option 4. Molly needs to think about the Junior that was on the cruise and realize some significant difference between the two maybe the imposter had a scar on the bottom of his foot or something. Junior needs to think about who could be running a shipwreck adventure and who could want to get rid of him (as well as the rest of the people). If all else fails, Pittersticks overheard the conversation between Javier and the others. Of course he will have to be defrosted first. He maybe reluctant to talk but if Maeve threatens him with being frozen again, he will spill all he knows. Of course they will need to be specific if they don't want to hear stories about everyone on the ship. Unfortunately, I wrote Twig's in to a condition where she can't make the connections. Given some sleep and sometime to think, she could probably do it.
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Postby Lady Arwen » Nov 22, 2018 6:45 pm

Mansion

I'm fairly sure getting off the island at the end won't be too hard. After all, even though Delia has been MIA for a bit, she did get to a beach, so I'm sure she's around somewhere, with her portal opening ghost-wrangling abilities. And if all else fails, we do have a shell-shocked mermaid. :P

Maeve definitely is not above threatening (or even re-freezing) squirrels she finds annoying, but I think by the time they've defrosted him, Grace and Kaelin will have some definite opinions on the matter, so that one's a toss up. ;))
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby Movie Aristotle » Nov 23, 2018 1:05 pm

Pattertwigs Pal wrote:Mansion- Cruise, the Mystery
Junior needs to think about who could be running a shipwreck adventure and who could want to get rid of him (as well as the rest of the people).

Great minds...

Say, Junior always wears cologne, so if the imposter didn’t wear any, that could be a tip off. If Molly is fortunate enough to have a small article that “imposter Junior” touched, Mel could sniff out the difference and realize it was one of the crew members on ship.

Here’s what I see needs to be wrapped up before the end of the story:
1. The team needs to figure out that there was an imposter masquerading as Junior.
2. We (the writers) need to come up with a reason why Javier would put an imposter on the island previously.
3. The team needs to try to contact the outside world to be rescued.
4. Javier and his cohorts need to be apprehended.

Am I missing anything?
Movie Aristotle
Movie Aristotle
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Delia Death » Nov 23, 2018 9:40 pm

Mansion

Oh, hello!

My apologies, I came ashore and got distracted by a mess of misplaced ghosts. I've collected them all and returned them to their rightful homes, and should be back to collect all of you and return you to your rightful homes at the beginning of new month.

Cheers!

D. Death
Delia Death
Ditto Town Host
Ghost Wrangler

Postby Lady Arwen » Nov 25, 2018 12:17 am

Mansion - Resolution

I just realized no one knows Mr. Waters' occupation, so it might be very easy to cast blame on him, assume HIS radio is the radio Molly was looking for, and that he is Javier's stooge. ;)) I haven't edited my last post to reflect that realization (except to take out calling him a detective), but could probably re-tool it if that would be best.
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby Ryadian » Nov 28, 2018 1:48 pm

Mansion - Radio call

I made up the directions Faye said off the top of my head, and I'm writing this quickly on break at work so I can't check if that contradicts anyone. :ymblushing: If I am contradicting anyone, feel free to disregard what Faye said - I'll double check my work later. :P
N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren
Ryadian

Postby Movie Aristotle » Nov 28, 2018 10:04 pm

Mansion - Time Jump?
So, since they found a radio and it seems we only have two more days left to write, would anyone object to a time cut ahead a few hours to when the rescue party arrives so that we can write some denouement?
Movie Aristotle
Movie Aristotle
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby aileth » Nov 29, 2018 10:44 am

Mansion - end approaching
Rya wrote:Mansion - Radio call

I made up the directions Faye said off the top of my head, and I'm writing this quickly on break at work so I can't check if that contradicts anyone. :ymblushing: If I am contradicting anyone, feel free to disregard what Faye said - I'll double check my work later. :P

Perfect, as far as I'm concerned.

MA wrote:So, since they found a radio and it seems we only have two more days left to write, would anyone object to a time cut ahead a few hours to when the rescue party arrives so that we can write some denouement?

Good idea, I think. It would be a shame if they didn't get found after all this time. I have this strange feeling that both of my characters are going to be hunting for fresh work after this.

Wren, will we need to go looking for Kaelin? Unless you have something else in mind.
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
aileth
Peripatetic powder-room sub

Postby Ryadian » Nov 29, 2018 4:45 pm

Mansion - end approaching

Ditto - I personally don't have any objections or particular plans. Assuming Kaelin is going to be all right on her own, Faye will probably just try to keep busy and everyone calm. ;))
N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren
Ryadian

Postby Movie Aristotle » Nov 29, 2018 7:12 pm

Mansion - Kaelin

Wren, would you do the honors of the time cut? I don’t want to double post, and if you have a story with Kaelin left to tell, that would give you the opportunity.
Movie Aristotle
Movie Aristotle
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Lady Arwen » Nov 29, 2018 11:31 pm

Mansion - Kaelin

aileth (or anyone), if you have someone who wants to go after Kaelin, you're welcome to send them. Otherwise, eventually Maeve will have less pressing matters on her hands and will retrieve her.

MA, I can try, but I don't know how quickly I'll be able to sit down and write a proactive, rather than a reactive, post. The former takes a lot more brain power/time, while I can knock off the latter in five or ten minutes, and the best I'm coming up with right now jump-wise I feel would effectively close the writing space. I'll see if I can roll one out tomorrow (Friday), but no promises (I have a load of work that has to be submitted before the first, and as much as I love you all, responsibilities with a paycheck have priority :P). If anyone else wants to take the plunge before then, by all means.
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

PreviousNext