This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Flash Fiction Writing Challenge - hosted by the Inn Between

Home of chat, writing, and role-play.

Moderators: stargazer, Lady Arwen, Ryadian

Re: Flash Fiction Writing Challenge - hosted by the Inn Between

Postby Shawna » Mar 05, 2018 7:14 am

Aileth - I'm glad it still made sense to someone not already familiar with the character/setting. Writing the VF is something that I come here for, so I'll probably just keep using her (and/or the vamps). :) I'll try to include enough description/info that it continues to make sense for people not familiar with the old DT.

Stargazer - I tend to write long, so when I do write short, it's usually like this, using characters already established elsewhere. I think the shortest story I've written with its own self-contained world and characters was around 6,000 words. And yeah, the VF has a bat'leth. ;) I watched one of the blu ray features recently about when they were developing that weapon for the show, and they showed it to actual sword masters who were like, "Wow, no one's invented a whole new bladed weapon in, like, centuries, but this is solid."

Incidentally, the few things Lotus said about her father seem to prove the grandmother's initial judgment at fault--something she had the grace not to resent.

I caught that, too. It's such an awful thing already, but to be the grandmother in this situation and realize that the big argument that lost you your daughter happened because you were wrong would just be gut-wrenching.
author webpage: http://shawnacanon.com
Shawna
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Lady Arwen » Mar 05, 2018 9:38 pm

What Comes Knocking

gazer-ironically, I really liked the kid, too, along with his utter devotion to groundhog day. I'm glad you didn't see it coming, but still got it. My most significant concern with this draft was that the twist wouldn't be clear enough.

aileth--in the original, Janine was more clearly designated as the narrator's partner and sire or host (I was undecided about which at that point). In the original, too, the kid was actually an adult who showed up knowing about the vampire bit, arguing that the narrator dropped off her daughter to keep from killing her. The narrator, too, was a bit more...maternal about the whole thing. He still ended up getting bit, though.

Shawna's Story
This is my first real encounter with the VF, too, and I must say, that's quite an interesting first encounter. I would definitely love to read more VF adventures. I particularly liked how you made your own spin on the grandmother/grandchild theme, with the generations of technology. I agree with aileth--it definitely reminds me of many a conversation I've had with small children.
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby Boo Kay Bucket » Mar 06, 2018 7:12 am

Thank you all for your participation! (I will never argue with a thriving Inn, especially when the patrons are relatively well-behaved.) Unfortunately, the time has come for me to close my doors again and do a bit of spring cleaning. I have heard rumors that there will be another establishment whose renovations are almost complete, so you'll have that to look forward to.

In the meanwhile, please check out at the front desk and have your payments ready. Cash is preferable - and exact change, please; an imbalance is always sure to give me indigestion.
Pay up or move out!
Boo Kay Bucket
Ditto Town Host

Previous