This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Ditto Town Mystery Mansion II

Home of chat, writing, and role-play.

Moderators: stargazer, Lady Arwen, Ryadian

Re: Ditto Town Mystery Mansion II

Postby PrinceCor004 » Jul 16, 2015 12:20 pm

(((OOC: To keep everything moving along, there is going to be a brief time jump to Neal and Co. returning to the mansion after a failed attempt at catching a zombie. )))

Well, the first mission to capture a zombie was a roaring success. And by success, that means it was a failure. It was hard enough trying to find then corner one of the walking dead and even more difficult to restrain one without having to blow its brains everywhere. The alley behind the Ditto Tavern and the tavern itself were now officially off limits, so there was that.

"We need to tell the others what we've discovered and then try something different." Neal said as he stepped towards one of the shadows cast by the mansion. "And don't mention anything about the children... not yet at least."

With that, the Darkling glanced around quickly before disappearing into the shadows. A second later the front door of the mansion opened and Neal motioned for Delia and Bryan to enter.
Avvie by the great Djaq!

http://bennettsreviews.blogspot.com/

^ Short tribute to James Horner (1953-2015)
PrinceCor004
Moderator Emeritus
Soundtrack Man of SO

Postby stargazer » Jul 16, 2015 5:15 pm

Bryan nodded and followed the Darkling's lead. The light and safety of the Mansion was a haven after their adventure.

It had started out well enough, given that they were zombie hunting. Tracking bears or deer in the woods was one thing; this was completely different. The usual clues to tracking animals or even humans in the woods were of limited use. To make things worse, animals might avoid town but that was exactly where they'd come upon the zombie.

What followed then would haunt his dreams - and he didn't consider himself at all squeamish. Zombies had crossed the realm from fiction to nightmarish reality. And the children...the faces of his own little grandchildren came to mind, superimposed upon what they'd just seen.

His own safety, and that of those in the Mansion, was certainly a top priority. But his own family weighed right up there too. He would do whatever he could to save them from such a horrific fate.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Delia Death » Jul 17, 2015 10:01 pm

"Well, that was depressing," Delia mused, picking bits of zombie brain out of her hair before walking in to the Mansion. They joined those who had left behind, and glumly studied each other.

"If you can't tell, we didn't catch a live one."
Delia Death
Ditto Town Host
Ghost Wrangler

Postby Anhun » Jul 18, 2015 9:42 am

Doc returned from her basement exploration looking even more odd than usual, if it were possible. From her neck down she was still wearing her masquerade gown, having left her trusty overalls at the Inn Between. On her head, however, she was wearing a full knight's helmet. She was carrying two more, one in each arm.

She rejoined the group in time to hear Delia's statement.

"So what now?" she gave the rest of the group an inquiring look which they, obviously, couldn't see. "Do we plan a different capture strategy with a new team or do we work through how to keep the mansion defensible? Or do we abandon all hope of defense and plot an attack?"
Anhun
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby stargazer » Jul 18, 2015 11:30 am

Bryan turned toward Doc. Her summary of options seemed reasonable. He couldn't help but be distracted by the knight's helmet on her head, and the contrast it made with the gown. A line from a book he'd read so many times to his grandkids came to mind. Do you like my hat?

He forced that thought down. "I think another capture attempt is a good idea. I don't know if we need to change strategies or teams - maybe our failure was just bad luck - but am open to ideas, or just trying this again.

"Not everyone can attack or fight, so I think we should wait to attack. Defending, on the other hand, is something we all can do. Maybe we should work on both - capture and defense. And not just the Mansion, but our families and friends too."

He gestured toward the newspaper. "Miss Delia, is there any indication of how widespread this outbreak is? Local, national, even worldwide? I imagine most of us know people all over the place and might want to warn them or help them somehow, if we can. Maybe that's another thing we can brainstorm about."
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Anhun » Jul 18, 2015 1:08 pm

"What if we split our team into two groups of four, team defense and team capture?"
Anhun
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby MountainFireflower » Jul 18, 2015 5:27 pm

"Absolutely," Aron said. It seemed like a sound, logical plan. "If you need someone to hold down the fort, I'd be happy to help with the defense team."
av by dot
MountainFireflower
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Delia Death » Jul 18, 2015 7:23 pm

Delia grabbed a cup of coffee, then flipped over the paper she was reading earlier in the morning.

"I'm going to say that is fairly widespread...I mean, this morning's paper is talking about the outbreak being confirmed in Monstropolis. That's not exactly close by--I mean, we're a 'burb, but we're still pretty far out," Delia mused. "And then if the rumored outbreak in Ditto-by-the-Sea is true, well, that's nowhere near here, so I'm going to say it's at least continent wide. Maybe worldwide. But it seems to have started in Monstropolis...and they put out a curfew, kept people in their homes...and it still spread...."

Delia frowned, and then stabbed a finger at the paper.

"So what's making it spread? What are we missing? Splitting into teams isn't a bad idea, but...what are we missing?"
Delia Death
Ditto Town Host
Ghost Wrangler

Postby Bookwyrm » Jul 18, 2015 7:57 pm

"Could it be airborne? Or some sort of biological weapon someone deliberately let loose?" Annie asked.
Bookwyrm
Moderator Emeritus
Lord of the Little Ponies

Postby PrinceCor004 » Jul 18, 2015 9:09 pm

"If it's everywhere at once, including where people have been locked up, it might be in the food... or drinking water." Neal ventured as he sat down at the table, balancing his fedora on one knee.

"As for a possible second excursion, two teams sound like a good idea. We know the Ditto Tavern and the alleyway behind it are swarmed with zombies so it shouldn't take them long to start spilling out into the square. Any ideas on how to fortify an old mansion from zombies?" he asked to whole room.
Avvie by the great Djaq!

PrinceCor004
Moderator Emeritus
Soundtrack Man of SO

Postby Delia Death » Jul 18, 2015 10:06 pm

"They've been locked up in their own homes...but if it's airborne, or water-borne, for that matter, how come none of us have turned?" Delia slurped out of her coffee, then looked at the cup. "I mean, like, who hasn't drunk or breathed anything today?"

She stabbed at the paper with one long finger.

"I'm gonna put my money on the mysterious health officials being right--the virus probably moves the same way that it does in the movies--spit or blood. The question is, I guess, who's the petri dish? How'd the virus get into the public bloodstream?"
Delia Death
Ditto Town Host
Ghost Wrangler

Postby Anhun » Jul 19, 2015 4:22 am

"Given the rapid spread and the fact that it is transmitted through bodily fluids, I'm inclined to think one or both of two things is going on:
A. Annie's right with her biological warfare suggestion.
B. We're dealing with a disease with a long incubation period, and a significantly shorter latency period."

Doc gave a significant look to each of the others which was, again, lost on them. "Is anyone else thinking what I'm thinking?. . .That some of us might already be infected? I mean, biological warfare is implausible for several reasons, including the possibility that the disease could spread back to the attacking country."

Doc turned to Delia and asked "Is there a conservatory in the house? I think the next thing to be done is to perform a Life Ritual on each member of the group in turn."
Anhun
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Bookwyrm » Jul 19, 2015 11:16 pm

"Hold on. Nobody's casting any weird rituals on me. Last time I let that happen, I got turned into a kitten for 48 hours and I can still remember what mouse tastes like," Annie said, backing away from Doc. "What if someone tainted the blood supply at one of the local hospitals? Lots of people need blood every day, especially here on Dittotopia."
Bookwyrm
Moderator Emeritus
Lord of the Little Ponies

Postby Delia Death » Jul 19, 2015 11:27 pm

"I second that," Delia said. "No voodoo on me. There's a conservatory on the grounds, and you're welcome to use it if you wish, but I'll take my chances with the infection."
Delia Death
Ditto Town Host
Ghost Wrangler

Postby PrinceCor004 » Jul 20, 2015 12:49 am

"Not a fan of having someone else trying their magic out on me." Neal said while tossing his hat in the air and catching it before it hit the table. "Besides, I'm a relatively cautious guy."

In truth, Darklings were less susceptible to the typical viruses and such that plagued humans. Neal wasn't sure, but he figured a zombie virus would likewise pose less of a threat. Still, he wasn't about to take any reckless chances.

"Does the article say anything more about where the original reports came from of the outbreak? If we knew where it started from, we could investigate. Or at least know where not to go."
Avvie by the great Djaq!

PrinceCor004
Moderator Emeritus
Soundtrack Man of SO

Postby Delia Death » Jul 20, 2015 10:58 am

"The original report seems to point to Monstropolis, with the secondary outbreak at a school," Delia replied. "What a place for a blood and saliva borne illness to show up. Kids lick everything and bite each other to start with, so they probably all brought it...home with them."

Delia looked up at Neal, then over at Bryan.

"That...might explain a few things," she said lowly.
Delia Death
Ditto Town Host
Ghost Wrangler

PreviousNext