This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Ditto Town Mystery Mansion

Home of chat, writing, and role-play.

Moderators: stargazer, Lady Arwen, Ryadian

Re: Ditto Town Mystery Mansion

Postby Dinode » Jun 20, 2014 7:53 am

(OOC Sorry I've taken so long to make my next post, my e-mail wasn't letting me know about everyone else's posts)

Mango spent a lot of time lighting the candles, but unfortunately for him no one paid any attention to his unique method. Then the cop showed up. It had to be a cop. Bad for business, he couldn't compete with someone who provided their services for free (other than taxes). With a sigh of frustration, he decided to lay low for a bit, he never could get customers while the police were doing their jobs. Well, he could always hope this guy turned out incompetent so he could step in and fix his mess. So following instructions, he sat in a chair and waited. While waiting, he heard some of the others whispering about the mansion being transported someplace dead.

Transported? Like to another dimension? Oh please not again, I was just getting used to this place, he thought. While he was tempted to check it out for himself, if they had been warped somewhere else than it would be best to stay within sight of others, and as far away from the outside as possible.

Eventually, the cop came back from a trip downstairs. Something was up, he could tell by his expression. He stood up and listened.
Seeking comic book artist, PM for details.
Dinode
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby narnianerd » Jun 20, 2014 12:00 pm

This wasn't Jeff first rodeo, a regular duty of his was to inform the family of a deceased citizen that their loved one had perished. It wasn't a task he particularly relished, in fact he hated it. Mostly because it never got easier.

"Ma'am, there is no easy way to tell you this. But your husband is dead."
you had me at meah
narnianerd
NarniaWeb Fanatic
Assisstant Lord of the Little Ponies

Postby Dinode » Jun 20, 2014 12:16 pm

On hearing the cop's pronouncement, it only took a second for Mango to decide on a course of action. He extended his claws.

"Where's the killer?" he asked.
Dinode
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby stargazer » Jun 20, 2014 12:50 pm

Your husband is dead.

Angie had suspected something was wrong, but never this. She stumbled back onto a nearby chair and was silent a moment, trying in vain to wrap her mind around this news. Dan was…dead? How? How was that even possible? This was certainly not what they’d expected tonight. It should have been a fun – and perfectly safe – night out together.

She fought back sobs. She could grieve later, but right now she had to be strong. Grace would need comfort in getting through the loss of her father. She knew in her heart that Dan’s final thoughts would have been for the two of them, and she would honor his memory the best she could.

But right now she had to find out more. She looked up at the officer. “How did it happen? And I would like to see him please.”
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby narnianerd » Jun 20, 2014 1:29 pm

"Electrocution seems to have been the cause of death, exactly how it happened, well I have no idea. If you want to see him, he's downstairs."
you had me at meah
narnianerd
NarniaWeb Fanatic
Assisstant Lord of the Little Ponies

Postby Dinode » Jun 20, 2014 3:06 pm

"Oh," Mango said, sitting down. If it was just an accident, nothing he could do. Maybe he should have waited for more than a second to take a course of action.
Dinode
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby PrinceCor004 » Jun 20, 2014 3:25 pm

Neal watched the young cop leave without much of a reaction. Once he was gone, the Darkling turned to his sort-of companion in all this madness while simultaneously stepping slightly between Delia and the others.

"Speaking of evidence, you might want to take a look at this before Cowboy gets his hands on it." Decker said as he produced the small cylinder from his duster. "It's another map, as far as I can tell."

------------

Malcolm and Selena looked around at the sudden outburst coming from across the room. One of the guests, a younger woman, was looking around sheepishly which left little doubt that she was the cause of the outburst.

"...the guests are going off crazier than usual and we haven't even had the pleasure of spiked punch."

"That we know of." Selena countered, eyeing her glass suspiciously.
Avvie by the great Djaq!

http://bennettsreviews.blogspot.com/

^ Short tribute to James Horner (1953-2015)
PrinceCor004
Moderator Emeritus
Soundtrack Man of SO

Postby Delia Death » Jun 20, 2014 5:11 pm

"Similar style to the first one--just...different. It still has the Mansion and the well, though," Delia replied, looking over his shoulder. "I wonder...well...we probably should limit any further exploring until tomorrow. Getting another person knocked off won't help matters any."
Delia Death
Ditto Town Host
Ghost Wrangler

Postby PrinceCor004 » Jun 20, 2014 5:48 pm

"There seems to be another house or possibly a stable near by. If the drawing is to scale and not just a child's doodle." Neal said pointing to the upper lefthand corner of the paper. "Keeping the casualties to a minimum would be appreciated."
Avvie by the great Djaq!

PrinceCor004
Moderator Emeritus
Soundtrack Man of SO

Postby Delia Death » Jun 20, 2014 6:06 pm

"If it was to scale, I think we would have seen it when we went outside," Delia mused. "Still, it can't hurt to check it out--but tomorrow. Not tonight."
Delia Death
Ditto Town Host
Ghost Wrangler

Postby Captn. Peregrin » Jun 21, 2014 5:36 am

"He was trying to fix the lights," Mr. Quigley Earnest Dint added, placing a hand gently on Mrs. Baxter's shoulder.
sig by me

But I am a cat, and no cat anywhere ever gave anyone a straight answer
Captn. Peregrin
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby stargazer » Jun 21, 2014 2:03 pm

“Electrocution?” Angie glanced around, but no evidence of electricity could be seen. Perhaps Dan had been electrocuted but still failed to restore the power. It seemed unlikely but she was willing to grasp at straws right now. But he was always careful around electricity.

She gave a nod of thanks to Mr. QED. Fixing the lights sounded like something Dan would have tried to do.

Without waiting for any further comment, Angie rose to go to the basement. The walk seemed like the longest of her life, but it was only a moment before she was kneeling at her husband’s side. She couldn’t be sure but had no reason to doubt the officer’s statement of cause of death. Yet the fuse box was empty and the power switch was clearly turned off. What could have happened? And there was the strange mark, F13, branded into his skin. What did it mean? It was clearly not natural. Who would deface her dead husband this way?

It was all rather suspicious, but for the moment she would keep those suspicions to herself. But then another thought crept in. What if Dan were only the first? What if…no, she couldn’t go down that road. Still, she was grateful they’d made arrangements for Grace’s care should the unimaginable happen.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Delia Death » Jun 21, 2014 3:30 pm

Delia watched Angie for a moment, then softly went up the stairs into the main room.

"I know this evening hasn't gone quite as expected, but I think it is best that everyone remain close by until we know what is going on. Given that it is dark now, it will be best for everyone to remain in the mansion. Also, everyone will need a buddy. Find a buddy, and please make your way upstairs and settle into a room. Once it is light out and there is less of a need for candles, we will regroup and move forward," Delia said, giving a curt nod and then heading back out. She stopped, and then popped her head back in. "Oh, and there will be no room service. So take care of yourselves and do try not to burn the place down."

With that, she exited again and made her way back downstairs, crouching next to Angie and putting her hand on her shoulder.

"I am truly sorry, Mrs. Baxter, but...until everything can get sorted out, it will be best if everyone try to get a bit of sleep. I understand that you are grieving, but...I think it would be best if you shared a room with someone else tonight, just for safety's sake. Are you okay with that?"
Delia Death
Ditto Town Host
Ghost Wrangler

Postby PrinceCor004 » Jun 21, 2014 4:35 pm

"Guess it's time to find a room..." Lawrence said as he stood, extending a hand to Selena.

"Preferably a room with a view, if you don't mind, sir." the younger woman said in her best high class-mocking voice.

"I'm a billionaire, playboy and part time hero.... not Jennings." with that, Malcolm began leading the way out of the hall and through the mansion. The layout of the place was thankfully similar to most other abodes of such type he had been in, so finding their way around wouldn't be too horrible.

"And here is a room perfect for us. A bed and a sofa with a wonderful view of the midnight moon. Oh, and a fireplace." Lawrence added as he inspected the old contraption. "Better not use it, though. Seems to have a lot of soot stuck in the chimney. Doubt it's been used in the last century."

Selena was busy examining the room herself when she noticed the vintage decorations and beddings. "I doubt this entire room has been used in the last century, Lawrence. Still, it's in remarkably good shape..."

"As long as it sleeps fine, I really don't mind." Malcolm replied as he went about lighting the oil lamps in the room.

--------------------

Never being particularly good at consoling people, Neal merely stood off to the side while Mrs. Baxter had her moment with the late Mr. Baxter. Fortunately no one had started hurling accusations around as to what or who had killed Dan, though thanks to pass experience, the Darkling knew that couldn't be too far away.
Avvie by the great Djaq!

PrinceCor004
Moderator Emeritus
Soundtrack Man of SO

Postby stargazer » Jun 21, 2014 7:15 pm

Angie looked up at Delia. “Thanks. I think that’s a good idea.”

She looked down at Dan again. Part of her wanted to remain, to keep vigil and say goodbye to her lost love, while another part wanted to get away as soon as possible.

Angie rose to her feet. After a moment she decided to share her concerns with her hostess. “I’m not sure who might want to share a room with a newly-made widow though. I just met everyone else tonight, and while everyone seems quite pleasant they’re still all strangers.”

“You’re welcome to room with me tonight, if you wish.”

“Thanks a lot. And please, call me Angie.”
stargazer

Postby Captn. Peregrin » Jun 21, 2014 8:26 pm

Mr. Quigley Earnest Dint decided not to follow Mrs. Baxter. "Miss Delia will take care of her, but Milady is all by herself." He took a candle and headed toward the conservatory.

Mr. Quigley Earnest Dint stepped on something that felt a little like a pipe. He slipped on it and fell, dropping his candle.

"I'm alright!" Mr. Quigley Earnest Dint yelled back down the hall, rubbing his head.

He must be looking for me in the conservatory. She crept into the hall. I knew I should've kept that valet around...

Seeing that there were no lit candles around (and no eyes to see by them), she made a dash for the conservatory.

Just as she entered, she heard a splash.

Mr. Quigley Earnest Dint lay at the bottom of an empty swimming pool, soaking wet. He saw a woman leap down into the empty pool (not young, but still untouched by old age), scrambling toward him with tears in her big brown eyes. She wore a rather expensive-looking blanket like a robe. He smiled.

No

"Milady...you're beautiful."

She threw her arms around him...but nothing happened.

Mr. Quigley Earnest Dint died.

"No!" she screamed.
sig by me

But I am a cat, and no cat anywhere ever gave anyone a straight answer
Captn. Peregrin
NarniaWeb Guru

PreviousNext