This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Featured Roleplay: Supernova

Home of chat, writing, and role-play.

Moderators: stargazer, Lady Arwen, Ryadian

Re: Featured Roleplay: Supernova

Postby Lady Arwen » May 13, 2013 9:39 pm

10:10 qn, Day 3
Quadrant 9

"Of course. Please, have a seat," Tamara said, taking a seat herself. After both were settled, the doctor reached over and sorted through a couple files on her desk, then laying one on top, turned back to Sam. 

"Mr. Talon, I would like to speak to you as a normal human being, not an employee of our government. Also, I wish you to keep this discussion off the record."
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby narnianerd » May 13, 2013 9:51 pm

10:11 qn, Day 3
Quadrant 9

"Well ma'am, nearly half my life has been lived off the record. So this ain't 'nuthing new to me. Anything you say will not leave this room by way of me," Mr. Talon almost was beginning to like this woman and if he ever got a chance to become a regular person again, he wouldn't miss it for the world. So he jumped at it..

"So then, lets talk."
you had me at meah
narnianerd
NarniaWeb Fanatic
Assisstant Lord of the Little Ponies

Postby Lady Arwen » May 13, 2013 11:39 pm

10:12 qn, Day 3
Quadrant 9

Tamara nodded.

"As you might have guessed, the government's list of people who should be within Q9 is quickly growing. Instead of focusing on people who are legitimate threats to human life, they are now incarcerating everyone who shows any sign of genetic mutation at all. So, then, I recently found myself in a peculiar position when a young female contacted me seeking help. She was trying to figure out if there was a way to reverse the mutation, and I had to break the news to her that such a thing is impossible. I could not give her what she wanted, but, I think you may know her...."

Tamara reached into the folder and pulled out a sheet.

"Her name is Katherine Talon," she said, laying the picture on the table. "I know you have a sister by the same name. Is this her?"
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby narnianerd » May 14, 2013 10:39 am

((Occ: on the phone. Will edit later))

Somewhere deep inside of the soldier, a red flag made an appearance. Through all that he had been through, and everything that he had done, somehow he'd managed to keep his sense of morality and his idealism. Therefore, the very though of his government arresting people without reason, well it didn't sit too we'll with him.

Especially when he discovered that his little sister happened to be one of them. "That's kit-kat... Stupid kid couldn't keep her darn mouth shut if her life depended on it." Then it hit him, it just might have.

"Oh Hades, ma'am. She just a kid," no. She was more than that. Kat was His sister and he would kill himself if something were to happen to her.
you had me at meah
narnianerd
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Lady Arwen » May 14, 2013 2:19 pm

10:14 qn, Day 3
Quadrant 9

Tamara nodded and put her hand on Sam's.

"I know. And she most definitely does not fit with the profile of violent criminals that Q9 is supposed to deal with. However, under the government's new rules...everyone with an ability has to be taken in. Kat is able to teleport, so she falls within the new parameters." Tamara paused and frowned. "I...did bring Kat here. She jumped from one location to another, but her first location was on the military base, which, well, I think we can both agree that wasn't a good place to start from. The only bright spot is she came to me before a recon team got to her, so I was able to ensure that I am personally responsible for her...'treatment and development plan.' While it isn't much, I can keep her out of Doctor Steele's testing, and if she is amenable to it, I hope to be able to write her off as my assistant or some other position that would keep her out of harm's way, or at least, somewhat out of it. I don't think there are any safe places any more."

Tamara sighed and looked at the photo for a moment, before placing it back in the folder.

"I'm telling you all of this because, from my understanding, Kat trusts you, and you are the only near relative, aside from your father, that I am aware of. I need your help. However angry she is, she needs to understand that her behavior and actions matter. I do not administrate Q9, and I am sure there are others here who would not mind stirring up trouble. Katherine will be walking a very tight line. If she acts out in a way that allows other doctors to complain, she will be removed from my direct care and thrown into the program, as is."
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby narnianerd » May 14, 2013 7:36 pm

10:14 qn, Day 3
Quadrant 9

Sam skipped the eloquence and the pomp that Lightwood utilized so effectively in order to beat around the bush. "You want me to talk to my sister, to tell her that this place is safe and that she should just cooperate. Ma'am, you want me to lie to to the one person I trust... That's going to be difficult."

But when he considered all the factors, the realist in him realized that Kat could have just fell off the map. There was nothing that required this Doctor to inform him of his sisters misfortune, so why was she doing this? What reason could she have, if she was not sincere in her intentions? "Then again Ma'am, you don't leave me much choice. Where is she?"
you had me at meah
narnianerd
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Lady Arwen » May 14, 2013 8:31 pm

"Sam, I'm not asking you to lie to her. I'm trying to provide her with some sort of semblance of normality--and some assurance that she might survive. But she has to trust me. Also, there is one other matter...."

Tamara paused, trying to determine how to tell him. 

"Technically, your father is listed as Katherine's next of kin, and from my meeting with him, I feel that he thinks those with new abilities are things to be eradicated. I don't have the authority to change that, but there are ways that you could get yourself listed as her next-of-kin. I would recommend you do so, so that your father does not sign for her to be used for research. He is the only one, at this point, that can overrule my decisions regarding her care."
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby narnianerd » May 14, 2013 9:39 pm

10:15 qn, Day 3
Quadrant 9

"I'm going to kill that man someday." Bigotry was not the only crime that his father had ever committed. If Sam had a nickle for every sin that General X had committed, he'd have more crummy coins than there were stars in the sky. No situational irony intended. "I'll be sure to get myself listed as her next-of-kin. The old man never was much of dad to her in the first place.
you had me at meah
narnianerd
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Lady Arwen » May 15, 2013 11:45 am

10:15 qn, Day 3
Quadrant 9

"Even the worst of people can be redeemed, Sam, but only if someone else will show them a better way," Tamara said softly. "But for now, our focus needs to be on Katherine. I think it would be best if the two of you have some time alone, so I will step out for the time being. If you need anything, there is a buzzer at the base of the lamp. Go ahead and hit it, and I or one of the assistants will come by."

She rose to go, and picked up the stack of files on her desk.

"Do you want anything beforehand?"
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby Lady Courage » May 24, 2013 12:00 pm

Last post with Steele here
Last post with Hali here
Day 5, Quadrant 9
12:18, Q9 time
Observation Deck

With a soft hiss, the door to the small command room slid open. The carefully regulated air stirred as Dr. Steele clipped briskly to the control panel. Behind him, a technician stepped through and moved to the paneling at the back of the room.

Tony looked up from his book, his left hand lazily clutching and unclutching a hand exercise ball. "Took you long enough. Something up?"

"No, not an iota. All is going quite well."

"Wow, you actually sound happy."

Steele shot a crooked grin over his shoulder. "You make it sound as though that were a rare occurance."

"Well it kinda is. Not that you sound unhappy usually, it's just that you don't sound quite so... Gleeful?"

"Now, my friend, you are exaggerating."

Tony chuckled and pushed his chair back. "Sooooo, who are we evaluating today?"

Steele's long fingers ran over the screen, "An interesting case. Hali Royce, age 19, brought here by her concerned college professor. We know practically nothing about her powers, but someone must have seen something in order for them to realize something was 'off'."

"We're walking into this blind, huh?"

"Indeed."

"Great. Just great! Surprises, I love 'em."

Steele's lips twitched, "If it helps any, she has shown almost no signs of true aggression. Simply fear. This should be a relatively simple process."

The doors below slid open and a blond girl crept through hesitantly. As she came through the doors, her bright eyes fluttered closed and her head tilted up as she breathed deeply. Her mouth began to move and Dr. Steele flicked on the speakers to hear what she had to say.

"Look, I-I don't know what you want from me, but I didn't do anything wrong."

Flexing his shoulders and arms with a yawn, Tony stood up and strode leisurely to peer over Steele's shoulder and through the window. "Oh, she's so little. Cute, too."

Steele shot him a raised eyebrow. "You like the little cute ones, huh?"

The boy started, then glanced at the older man, "Well, um... That's not exactly what I meant..." He rubbed the back of his neck, an uncomfortable half-smile twisting his face.

A bark of laughter escaped the Doctor's lips, "No need to worry, I am simply teasing you. I knew what you meant."

"I really have no intentions of hitting on the patients, Doc."

"I know son, I know. Your face is just too priceless." Dr. Steele's fingers tapped the screen.

With a roll of his eyes, Tony moved back to the table to grab his cup.

In the room below, a portion of the wall collapsed into itself, the machine trundled out and the first test officially began.

Dr. Steele watched carefully as the girl stood her ground until the last minute, then dove aside and flung herself to the opposite wall. Then she paused.

Tony came back to the window and glanced out. Dr. Steele's eyebrow raised a fraction.

"What's she doing?"

"Having an epiphany, it appears..."

"Oh, holy cow! She just- Did she just-!?"

"She did indeed."

The two men gazed down in various stages of wonder and interest as the girl faced down the gun and discovered on her own that it did not shoot real bullets. The hologram ammunition tore through her body and "sparked" on the wall behind her, without leaving a scratch.

"I'm pretty sure she's the first one to do that."

"She certainly is. Either she is highly intelligent or her powers are related to machinery, or aerodynamics, or possibly sound waves... Something that the tool deals with."

"Maybe both?"

"Possibly both."

Below them, the girl said something that came through rather muffled and they had a hard time understanding her. "Freaky. But what's the point?"

Tony turned to the older man, "So she's the first to figure out the trick. Now what?"

Dr. Steele's index finger tapped thoughtfully beside the control screen. For a moment, he simply stared down at the blond girl. Then he lifted his hand and pressed down on the screen. "We continue."

They watched as the second machine, the hologram, slipped out of the wall and moved towards the girl. But she did not move. Her eyes closed and she stood quietly.

Steele's sharp eyes were trained intently on the girl.

Slowly, she turned towards their window, eyes still closed.

"Doc?"

Dr. Steele raised a hand. Tony bit his lip.

The girl's voice crackled through the speakers, a shrill edge to her tone, "Okay, I know you're in there! I can see you!"

"But how?" muttered Tony.

"Not aerodynamics..." The doctor made a note on the screen.

"Look, can you just come out and talk? I'm really freaking out here. I'm not, like, a trained dog, okay?"

Dr. Steele paused for a split second, then tapped the screen. A round hole opened up in the console and a small microphone slid up and out.

"Doc! What are you doing?"

"It's alright, Tony." The doctor tapped another place on the screen, then leaned down and brought his lips near the microphone. "No. You're something far more." He straightened and tapped the screen again. The microphone slipped down into the hole.

"What was that for?"

"She is different, Tony. Not hysterical. Logical. She will understand that we are trying to help her and I think she will be happy to cooperate with us. I do not believe we will overwhelm her with explaining our purposes immediately."

"Oooh... Well that does make things easier."

"Indeed. Your cue."

"Right." Tony stepped quickly into the lift, the scent of grease and steel purveying the small capsule.

"Have fun." Dr. Steele quirked a corner of his mouth as he glanced after Tony.

"You know it." The steel doors hissed shut in front of him and the lift hummed as it dropped slowly to the floor below. Tapping his fingers along his thigh, Tony spun slowly to face the other side of the lift. He took a deep breath, broad chest expanding then dropping, as he let it out with a soft whoosh. The doors slid open with a faint whirring and Tony stepped out.

He paused, as slowly the girl opened her eyes and gazed at him. As soon as he realized she was focused on him, his face softened and a warm smile caused a dimple to pop into sharp relief. "Hello there. Hali, right? My name is Tony. I'd like to apologize for the unconventional assessment you just experienced. It's kinda rough, I know... But I promise we're doing everything we can to help you right now." As he spoke, he advanced slowly, palms outward and fingers spread. He stopped about 3 yards away from the girl and did not move any closer. "So... What did they tell you before they brought you here?"

((OOC: Sorrrrry Anne for taking so long... I promise I've been working on this! Been hard to get back into character, but I think I've got the hang of it now.))
Sig by me | Av by Ithilwen
There is no such thing as a Painless Lesson
Lady Courage
NarniaWeb Guru

Location: With De_De, Libby and Lu, exploring Narnia with Frodo in Obi-Wan's spaceship. :D

Postby Dernhelm_of_Rohan » May 24, 2013 1:05 pm

Day 5, Quadrant 9
12:26, Q9 time
Observation room

Hali clenched her fingers nervously at the response to her question. Okay, what the heck is that supposed to mean?

Another flash of sight came from a large mechanism behind the wall near the viewing glass. She couldn't guess if it was another false machine gun or something new - her inner eye couldn't seem to focus on it very well, compared to everything else that was bright and moving in here. As the gears and cables turned and lowered, a section of the silver tiles split in two, slid backwards and into the wall, like an automatic door. And behind the door was a small elevator or lift. And on the lift stood one of the men from the viewing room.

He was averagely tall for a guy, but her mind's eye caught size of his muscles and she winced. He could rip me to shreds, she gulped.

But his stance was nonthreatening, and she could tell he was not carrying any weapons with her inner sight. She opened her eyes and saw with a start that the brown-haired man - or boy - was only about her own age. And he was smiling. Not a cold, cruel smile either; a friendly one.

"Hello there. Hali, right? My name is Tony. I'd like to apologize for the unconventional assessment you just experienced. It's kinda rough, I know... But I promise we're doing everything we can to help you right now." As he spoke, he advanced slowly, palms outward and fingers spread. He stopped about three yards away from her and made no attempt to move any closer.

Help me?! Her first response was to choke back a laugh. If having multiple heart attacks a day helps me, sure!

"So... What did they tell you before they brought you here?" he asked.

"They shot at me and told me to stop running," she replied bluntly. Although this calm attitude on his part was doing a lot to soothe her nerves, she did not for a second believe that any of this was meant to help her. "Now, where am I, and what did you guys do to my head?"

OCC: No problem, LC; it was worth waiting for!

Founding Keeper of the Secret Magic
Dernhelm_of_Rohan
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby narnianerd » May 24, 2013 7:09 pm

10:16 qn, Day 3
Quadrant 9

"Yeah, I could use a beer," Sam waited for a second or two and quickly responded before the doctor could. "That was a joke ma'am. I'm all set." He'd gone into battle countless times. Against fearless enemies and a couple of lunatic terrorists. But nothing, not even his own father had ever scared him more than the conversation he was about to have with his own sister.

"Bring her in, I guess."
you had me at meah
narnianerd
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Lady Arwen » May 24, 2013 7:32 pm

10:16 qn, Day 3
Quadrant 9

"Of course," Tamara smiled and opened the door. "Just buzz when you are finished."

And with that the door closed and Sam was left in silence.

~~

"Time to go," the door to Kat's room opened, and a tall man stood there. "Now."

He put his hand on Kat's shoulder and steered her through the hallways, coding through different doors. Finally, he opened one last door.

"Here," he said, taking his hand of her shoulder and gesturing into the room. "Ms. Talon."
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby Lady Courage » May 24, 2013 8:14 pm

Day 5, Quadrant 9
12:27, Q9 time
Observation room

At her reply, Tony started and his eyes widened for a moment. Then they narrowed as his lips tightened. "That... That's awful. I'm sorry. Sometimes the military gets carried away... They are... We have to work with them you know, but we don't have much control over their actions. I'm so sorry."

He looked darkly at the ground for a moment, then blinked, took a deep breath and looked up, his face clear again. "But back to your question... Um... We haven't done anything to you, not since you've been here.
"You are in Quadrant 9. We are a rehabilitation facility for those affected by the Supernova. Our goal is to help those 'altered' by the blast. To learn how to control any new abilities, or as the case may be, disabilities.
"You are here because either you or someone who knows you realized that the Supernova had changed you. And we can help."

He paused for a moment and looked at her carefully. "So... You said something's wrong with your head?" His hand crept out towards her as though to touch her- though of course at 3 yards away he couldn't -then he pulled it back sharply. "Does it hurt?" His brown eyes gazed steadily at her, scanning her face as though looking for any signs of pain.

((OOC: Oh, thank you Anne. lol :P ))
Lady Courage
NarniaWeb Guru

Location: With De_De, Libby and Lu, exploring Narnia with Frodo in Obi-Wan's spaceship. :D

Postby Dernhelm_of_Rohan » May 25, 2013 5:48 am

Day 5, Quadrant 9
12:28, Q9 time
Observation room

"I'm so sorry."

Despite her fear and her adrenaline-fueled fight-or-flight stance, she actually believed him. Get a hold of yourself, girl. You're still locked up in this place, and for all you know, this guy put you here.

He looked the floor for a moment, and she glimpsed a dark anger on his face. But he quickly blinked and looked up, his face clear again. "But back to your question... Um... We haven't done anything to you, not since you've been here.
"You are in Quadrant 9. We are a rehabilitation facility for those affected by the Supernova. Our goal is to help those 'altered' by the blast. To learn how to control any new abilities, or as the case may be, disabilities.
"You are here because either you or someone who knows you realized that the Supernova had changed you. And we can help."

She had already known or guessed that Prof. Collins had called the dark men with guns. But the source of her change was definitely new. The explosion.... That did this to me?

He paused for a moment and looked at her carefully. "So... You said something's wrong with your head?" His hand crept out towards her as though to touch her - separated by nine feet of space as they were. She recoiled, darting a few steps back and to her right. He quickly pulled his arm back. "Does it hurt?" His brown eyes gazed steadily at her. And if she wasn't focusing every molecule of her being on staying alive right now, she might have thought that the concerned expression combined with the faint dimple in his cheek made him look kinda cute.

"Nothing's wrong," she replied tersely. "It's like... Like I've been blind my whole life and just got my eyes open." She gestured at the room around them. "This stuff, the way you look at it, is, like, just a part of what the place is." She was about to go on when she stopped short. He had managed to get information out of her, when what she really needed was the stats on this place - Quadrant 9, he'd called it. Then something else he'd passed over snapped into focus. "Wait; there are more? People like me?"

Founding Keeper of the Secret Magic
Dernhelm_of_Rohan
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Lady Courage » May 26, 2013 3:30 pm

Day 5, Quadrant 9
12:29, Q9 time
Observation room

Tony listened to the girl carefully, brows slowly creasing as she none-too-clearly tried to explain what was going on with her. It was hardly unusual for those with new power to have trouble explaining what had changed. But even with his experience in picking apart and identifying various powers, nothing she said made any sense to him.

Then she blurted the question, "Wait; there are more? People like me?"

He blinked once, as his brain readjusted it's focus. "Oh... Oh, yeah, for sure! Not exactly the same as you, but the Supernova affected potentially hundreds of people. We don't know the full number yet. There are some here at Quadrant 9, and we're still trying to find the best ways to rehabilitate them.
"The problem is, very few people have adjusted well to their new... abilities on their own. To be honest, some of them are downright dangerous. In their fear, their anger and with their new-found powers, they're still trying to find their place in the world. It's... Hard. To watch. But we're doing what we can to help."

His tanned hand gestured expansively around the room as he added, "Actually, that's what all this is for. Like I said, a lot of these people are dangerous. We have to know what they can do before we can get close to help them. These tests are designed to get a look at the worst a patient can do, so we know how to approach them without getting ourselves killed."

He turned to face her again, lifting his hands slightly, palms towards her. "So again, I'm sorry we had to scare you... But we had no idea if you'd zap our heads off, or throw us against the ceiling, or anything death-causing like that." His lips quirked into a rueful smile, showing off the dimple again, as he rubbed the back of his neck. "I'll be honest and say I'm really glad you're not gonna try to turn me inside out with your brain."
Lady Courage
NarniaWeb Guru

PreviousNext