This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Featured Roleplays: Crisis in the Snow and TWBTS

Home of chat, writing, and role-play.

Moderators: stargazer, Lady Arwen, Ryadian

Re: Featured Roleplays: Crisis in the Snow and TWBTS

Postby Lady Courage » Jul 13, 2010 1:08 pm

How is it that such simple words can lift the spirits to soaring heights? The little creature's words shattered the weight that rested on Rylin's heart and let it rebound into the sky. Relief flooded her, and she let out a tiny gasp and put a hand to her heart. She said nothing, but her eyes shone with gratitude. It was nothing, really, to give such a small piece of information, especially when compared with the safe conduct the little creatures had been giving them. But the restoration of hope is a gift that is great beyond measure.

Nena's first reaction was to be stunned at how wrong she had been. Then a little voice inside her chirped, And now that nothing's gone wrong Rylin can't be blamed, can she? A pang of guilt ran through her heart. Her conscience had just suddenly awoke after the days of stress and hardship with the fresh breeze of hope. But she pushed the feeling away and stamped her foot as if she were cold. Really though, it was the same as someone else might shake their head to get rid of a thought. A little spray of snow rose from the stamp and settled behind them as they followed the little creatures away.

As the snow fell more gently, the girls slowly thawed. Nena's toes began to be extremely painful and she vaguely wondered how badly they were frostbitten.

Upon reaching the camp she looked eagerly for any signs of other humans. The majority of her immediate distaste for the little creatures had long since worn off, but she was one of those people who instinctively distrust anything not human. But she saw little or no signs.

"What's going on?" she asked in a whisper, mostly to Rylin, but also to anyone who cared to answer.
Rylin, however, shook her head.
Sig by me | Av by Ithilwen
There is no such thing as a Painless Lesson
Lady Courage
NarniaWeb Guru

Location: With De_De, Libby and Lu, exploring Narnia with Frodo in Obi-Wan's spaceship. :D

Postby Bookwyrm » Jul 13, 2010 7:12 pm

As the girls entered the camp, Jâkín stepped out of one of the tents. He stretched casually and then spotted the newcomers. An angry glint sparked in his eye and he strode in their direction.

"You two! What are you doing here?" Jâkín brandished his dagger at the girls angrily and said," I'm taking you to Träm. Don't try to run or I'll be taking your corpse to see him."
Bookwyrm
Moderator Emeritus
Lord of the Little Ponies

Postby Lady Arwen » Jul 13, 2010 7:33 pm

Both the dragons whirled around, collided, but spotted Jâkín nonetheless.

"Sss, sss, be kind, gentle," Rohindron said, dusting Mahindren off. "Träm sent us up the mountain to get them. Said to keep them safe, until he gets back from meeting with Force Users. Is he back yet?"

"Yes," Träm's deep voice rumbled through the night air. Wrapped in a dark cloak, a large figure appeared. Very familiar with the man, Rohindron immediately leaped onto him, winding in and out of his coat. He reappeared, and frowned.

"You don't have any food on you."

Träm shook his head, and petted the top of Rohindron's head roughly.

Mahindren sighed.

"My dear, go find some, sweet," she said, winding her way between Rylin and Nena. "I'm sure you can. But these humans, they are nearly frozen, Träm. They need help now, not after Rohindron has found his food."

"Of course," Träm said. He nodded at Jâkín, winking ever so slightly, then turning to the two girls. "We have been waiting for you. For a long time. Come."

Turning, Träm began walking quickly. He stopped as he heard the soft noises of the others moving along. He had noticed that, while Rohindron had been happy enough to ignore the two girls, while Mahindren had stuck close to them. The Cââdite knew little of dragons, but he did know they weren't to be trifled with if they were angry, and that, no matter what, these little dragons would stick with their mates.

"Rohindron, Mahindren, you have done much tonight. Go, eat, and rest for a while."
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby Lady Courage » Jul 14, 2010 8:10 am

Both girls jumped hard when Jâkín stepped out of tent. But that was nothing compared to the terror that shook their limbs when he drew his dagger. Nena stepped closer to Rylin automatically and they shivered slightly, staring at the shimmering blade.
At the male creature's intercession Nena let her breath out in a huff of steam and Rylin gasped softly and put a hand to her heart.

They listened to the ensuing conversation with interest born of anxiety. Not out and out fear, just a misgiving.
These aren't Elves, thought Rylin, looking hard at their ears (the only characteristic she knew Elves possessed in outward appearance).
He's quick to be aggressive, thought Nena, looking at the man who stuck a knife in her face. What does that say about the other man?

When the other man repeated the words the little female creature had used, "we've been waiting for you", Rylin was startled. They've been waiting for us? I thought it was the Elves who were waiting... So they weren't talking about the Elves after all? Were they even planning on taking us to them at all? Her next thought was, but maybe these men will take us all the way to them.
Nena, on the other hand, stiffened. Naturally suspicious, her thought was, I smell a rat. But there was nothing she could do, and she followed behind Rylin as she began to obey the tall, cloaked man. For the first time however, she was sorry that the little creatures were not coming with them. Somehow, they seemed less dangerous after the incident with the dagger.
Lady Courage
NarniaWeb Guru

Location: With De_De, Libby and Lu, exploring Narnia with Frodo in Obi-Wan's spaceship. :D

Postby Lady Arwen » Jul 14, 2010 7:46 pm

Träm led the others into the camp, to a great bonfire.

"Have a seat," he said, gesturing to some nearby logs. "Warm yourselves while we get some food for you."

As soon as the two men were out of sight, Träm turned back to Jâkín.

"Those girls are must definitely from one of the conquered peoples. I have guessed from the bodies that have been found that they carry some sort of message for the elflings. The elves are too crafty, though, they've taken any written message from the corpses. All I ask is that you find the messages."
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby Bookwyrm » Jul 14, 2010 7:57 pm

"Sure, I can do that. I'll search their gear while you "entertain" them," Jâkín replied. "What are we going to do with them afterward?"
Bookwyrm
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Lady Arwen » Jul 14, 2010 8:04 pm

"If they'll co-operate and do as we say, send them back home. Perhaps they can knock some sense into their people. If not...well, tie them up until we have time to properly 'deal' with them....I'm sure you understand," Träm whispered, smiling slightly.
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby Bookwyrm » Jul 14, 2010 8:19 pm

Jâkín's gaze slipped back in the direction of the two girls. Were he to be entirely truthful, killing two young girls was about the last thing he wanted to do. Bullying and posturing was how he typically achieved his goals.

"Sure, of course. I get you. Where's their stuff at, so I can rummage through it?"
Bookwyrm
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Lady Courage » Jul 15, 2010 7:06 am

Nena sank warily onto the offered log and watched the two men until they could no longer be seen. When she turned back Rylin had stripped her gloves off and had her hands thrust to the fire.
"What do you think?" Nena asked her.
Rylin looked at her with surprise in her eyes. She was a little startled at Nena's frank question after these days of sharp words. But she figured quickly that she must have been tired and now she's feeling better.
However, the look on her face irritated Nena, knowing why Rylin would be surprised. "Well?" she repeated, a little harshly.
"Well I think they're nice enough," replied Rylin hurriedly.
"What makes you think that?"
"Did you see the way the tall man pet the little creature on the head? That seemed kind enough."
Nena rolled her eyes, "but that's different! If you didn't treat that thing kind enough, it could bite your hand off."
"Well, what else do you want me to think?" Now Rylin felt a little flurry of temper rising in her.
"Who are these men? Why were they waiting on us?"
"I don't see why either of those questions are so very important Nena. Just wait a little while and I'm sure everything will turn out fine."
"Wait!? Wait for what? How do we know these men are even on our side?"
"Well if they weren't then wouldn't they have just let us die on the mountain? Or if we didn't die on our own, kill us outright? And besides, the little creatures were very kind and gentle. That should say something about the one who sent them, shouldn't it?"
Nena opened her mouth to voice her objections, then shut it again. Those were good points. Why didn't they let them die? And why did the little creatures treat them so well if they were planning on injuring them later? But the uneasy feeling would not go away even when these excellent arguments were brought up.
"Still," she said after a moments pause, "this is an dangerous world in an unsettled time we live in. Something's not right here and I don't know what. We need to be on our guard."

Rylin looked at her again in surprise. She couldn't remember the last time Nena had let an argument go without winning. But Nena was slipping out of her pack and setting it by her, touching the log. She stretched her feet out towards the fire and winced. The pain in her un-freezing toes was excruciating, but the warmth felt good to the rest of her body.
Lady Courage
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Lady Arwen » Jul 15, 2010 8:35 pm

"I believe they still have it with them," Träm said, nodding.

~~

Mahindren padded alongside Rohindron, singularly silent.

"What's wrong, pumpkin?" he asked, slowing. Mahindren's head was drooping, her chin nearly dragging in the snow.

"I feel bad for those girls," she said softly. "I don't think Träm has good plans for them."

"He won't harm them, dearie. Don't be so silly."

"I guess you're right, I am being a bit silly." Mahindren's voice was brighter, and for a moment she held her head up, but it slowly drooped back down.

"It may be silly, but I'm going back to see them," she finally said, and, without another word, turned and started winding her way back to the fire.

She was nearly there when she heard the returning footsteps of Jâkín and the more muffled, slower steps of Träm. The little dragon hesitated, and peered between the tents. The girls looked fine, happy to be near a fire, and Träm's slower step indicated that he was carrying something that could spill--had to be food, she decided. Convinced that she was being silly in worrying, she turned around, and wit her head held high, marched back to see Rohindron (and maybe have a midnight snack, so that he wouldn't feel lonely eating by himself, of course!).

Woe to all that she would turn back!
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby Bookwyrm » Jul 19, 2010 10:09 pm

Jâkín slipped back into the area around the fire and offered the girls a half-hearted smile.

"Sorry about earlier. We've had some trouble lately, thought you were enemies. No hard feelings? Träm wants me to prepare your tent for you. Can I take your packs?"
Bookwyrm
Moderator Emeritus

Postby sweeetlilgurlie » Jul 20, 2010 6:03 am

((*arises from the dead* Heh heh heh...))

"A new Vortex has arisen. I do not know who assumed the role." G-9 clicked his chitin thoughtfully and turned his head ninety degrees to look at Yonatan. "When the vortex species is in a dormant state, any awake Vortex may assume the role of power. We are weak and incoherent; we cannot stop it."

G-9 resumed his story. "Somehow, a Vortex wakened after all of the centuries asleep. It is likely that he fought against the dormant state brought on by the Vortex, and partially succeeded--the result being that he woke up recently. It is also likely that he destroyed the dormant Vortex." He did not show it, but G-9 was sad. He had loved the former Vortex like a brother.

"His actions in rebelling against the peace and re-starting the old war are clear indications that this Vortex is up to no good. I was lieutenant in the last war. He put me at the bottom of the chain of command in this." G-9 paused, and then swiveled his head to look at everyone in turn. "The Vortex is a commander, no matter who he is. He exerts his will over us, and at times it is impossible not to follow. It is extremely necessary for a good being to be this leader. However, he cannot be deposed by outside forces, and the majority of the vortex support him."

Now was the time. G-9 took a deep breath. It would mean his eventual death--but to prevent other deaths, it was important. "We can be destroyed by water at the precise temperatures of 26 degrees to 48 degrees celsius. I ask you to eliminate us. It is necessary. All of us. This must not happen again.

*edited because the color of the text hurt the author's eyes
"Let the music cast its spell,
give the atmosphere a chance.
Simply follow where I lead;
let me teach you how to dance."
sweeetlilgurlie
Moderator Emeritus
The Sparkle Princess

Postby Lady Courage » Jul 20, 2010 8:41 am

Rylin and Nena exchanged looks. Rylin raised her eyebrows at Nena in a gesture that clearly said, See? Nena gave just the slightest shake of her head in a gesture that said a little less clearly, but clear enough for Rylin, I'm not swallowing it.
With a small toss of her dark head that was meant to say to Nena, You just don't trust people enough, Rylin turned to Jâkín and smiled graciously.
"Of course not," she said smoothly, "This is, after all, an unsettled time in a dangerous world."
Nena rolled her eyes with her face turned away from Jâkín so he wouldn't see it.
Rylin unstrapped her pack and handed it to Jâkín and looked at Nena to do the same. Nena, rather sulkily, handed it over with the admonishment, "Be careful with this! My Mother made it special for me and this journey." She met his eyes with a fierce and challenging gleam in her own to add emphasis to her words.
Rylin nudged Nena's leg to bring to her attention how rude she was being and smiled at Jâkín. "Thank you!" she said.
Lady Courage
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Bookwyrm » Jul 20, 2010 4:00 pm

Jâkín smiled back at Rylin and headed back off into the darkness. He reached one of the nearby tents and ducked into it. Opening the packs, Jâkín began to carefully riffle through their contents.

(OOC: Is there anything in them I should be finding?)

-----

Cassandra was not afraid of many things, but she had to admit to being a trifle unnerved by bugs. Especially enormous talking bug-things. Thus this conversation was not exactly going to be her favorite memory ever of Dittopia. And at this point, she just wanted this whole conflict to be over so she could go search for Vizio. She didn't even remember anymore how Meav or whomever it was had talked her into staying and taking part in this.
Bookwyrm
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Lady Arwen » Jul 22, 2010 1:50 pm

((lol, the color of the text hurt my eyes, too, sweeet. :P))

Neíhudir shook his head.

"Under no circumstance would the destruction of an entire race solve our problems. There must be another way," he said firmly. "There must be another way...."

The destruction of one leader or warriors was different. But of an entire people? This was not of the elves' way. At least the good ones.

~~

Träm appeared a few moments later, bearing a tray with bread and nearly tasteless--but nutritious nonetheless--soup. He set it down, and settled into a nearby seat, watching them eat.

"Why have you come over the mountains?" he finally asked, deciding this was a good enough time to begin. "You could easily have died."
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby Lady Courage » Jul 22, 2010 8:58 pm

As soon as Träm set the food down the girls just about pounced on the food, ravenously hungry. His question came as Nena's cheek bulged with a mouthful of bread and Rylin's spoon was in her mouth. Immediately, still with the food in their mouths they exchanged looks again.
Nena made the slightest motion of her head that was a clear warning to Rylin, and her eyes glittered with sharp suspicion.
Rylin was at last slightly alarmed. He didn't know?? But, why were they waiting on them then? Her heart skipped a beat in fear, but then she thought, He may actually know, he's just trying to open conversation. Some people just aren't good that. Or, or maybe he's just trying to make sure we're the right people. That could be it... Her instinct was warning her, but her heart told her not to be so quick to distrust. It wasn't fair, was it? I mean, he hadn't done anything to warrant distrust, had he? She felt Nena studying her, waiting for her answer. Momentarily she wondered why Nena always let her speak, since she so disagreed with her. But that was rather a small concern at the moment. Removing the spoon from her mouth she nervously licked her sensitive lips. Casting a sideways glance at Nena, she saw her give a faint shake of her head.
"We..." her voice failed under the strain between her heart and her instinct. She tried again, "We- we came for help." She glanced helplessly at Nena who was frowning at her with a rather vicious glint in her eye. It was a look that said, don't you dare!
Rylin's heart suddenly surged ahead, and before she could change her mind she blurted out, "We came for help from the Elves! Our people are-"
"Why does it matter?" interrupted Nena, with a deadly glance at Rylin, then turning back to Träm. "How does it concern you?"
Rylin gasped at the rudeness of the question, and her gentle heart melted with pain at the look Nena gave her. "Please," she whispered, though loud enough for Träm to hear, "please, he has been kind to us. You needn't-" her voice quivered with pain, "you needn't speak so- so harshly." Her dark eyes pleaded with Nena, and her sweetly curved lips trembled very slightly.

((OOC: Bookwyrm, the message isn't in the packs. ;) ))
Lady Courage
NarniaWeb Guru

PreviousNext