This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Ditto Town Library

Home of chat, writing, and role-play.

Moderators: stargazer, Lady Arwen, Ryadian

Re: Ditto Town Library

Postby leuthilalda » Jul 08, 2012 9:02 pm

A belated welcome to the story, Silvan-Haven. And I like your aviator ;) although the combination of ours might cause a little chaos of its own :D They certainly occur within a few seconds of each other in the movie
Hail, Cameron Rhodes. May you always have the best mushrooms in the Shire, and keep a sharp watch out in service to King Peter.
Narniaweb Chamber Orchestra
Neutralist Party.
Defender of the Order of the Cricket
leuthilalda
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Aravanna » Jul 08, 2012 9:06 pm

Wow, a lot has happened since I posted last.

Ryadian, PM coming soon. :)

Varna, hopefully you find that segment! It's no fun to lose your writing. :( And I LOVED your post in Games and Blogs. You know the one. ;)

'gazer, I enjoyed your newest segment and I'm glad my writing of Abby was acceptable. I don't want to overstep my bounds... but I wasn't sure it was worth a PM. ;) Can't wait to hear what Eric has to say about all this.

Shastastwin, I've talked to you on Facebook already, but welcome back to the Ditto Story!! It's been a long time! :D And I know how it is to have characters left hanging.

And welcome to the Ditto Story for the very first time Silvan_Haven and Dernhelm_of_Rohan! It looks like you two will be working pretty closely together? I'll be interested to see where you guys take your story with characters that clearly aren't human from a technologically advanced universe... and actually, the Ditto Story could use a little action. Before April, not much was happening so a little action is a nice break! Just keep in mind we do have an overarching plot already and that's what most writers will be focusing on.

Shastastwin, in regards to your four agents:

It's an interesting idea, and I really like the idea of having The Nine involved in trying to balance Good, Evil, Chaos and Order. I just think they should inevitably fail because Good and Evil at least can never be balanced. Trying to pretend that Evil is the opposite of Good on the same scale (and that it can be controlled) actually sounds like a good reason for at least one of the Nine's downfall.

And we haven't had much "Nine" activity lately. I think the people that were writing them all took a hiatus. Hopefully they haven't left forever. You came back after all. :) So the question now is, how do the Nine fit into this split dimension, and if we don't have anyone to write them, should we just put that set of villains on hold until we get though the current plot?
Aravanna
Moderator Emeritus

Postby shastastwin » Jul 09, 2012 8:26 am

Ara:I'll PM you more about involving the Nine. As far as the other Nine writers go (mostly Kat and JP), I tend to defer to them in matters of the Nine, since they've done most of the brainstorming and such regarding the inner workings of the Nine. I still have control of Number 6, who was rather uncharacteristic of the Nine toward the end of the last story, getting personally involved in the assault on the School and all. I'm fine leaving their involvement unaddressed until we can get Kat and/or JP's feedback on the subject though.
"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you..."
Inexhaustible Inspiration
shastastwin
Moderator Emeritus
Saint Schwinn

Postby starkat » Jul 09, 2012 8:27 am

My apologies for my disappearing act. I'm heading to the story thread to catch up so I can jump back in. Hopefully I can get caught up pretty quickly.
starkat

Postby Ryadian » Jul 09, 2012 2:00 pm

Wow, so many good posts lately!! :D

stwin, your characters have sure come back with a vengeance. :P :D I'm really looking forward to see where things go from here. :)
I'm also looking forward to seeing more about the Good-Evil-Chaos-Order thing, not to mention the potential Nine involvement.... :D

stargazer, I feel so bad for poor Abby now. :P (Hopefully Ryana can make up for the intrusion soon. ;) )

Right now, I'm in the process of working on a few different posts. :P I'm hoping to have at least one of them up within the next couple of days, but it looks like my characters are going to be divided between two different points in the story. :P I'll try to label posts appropriately to avoid confusion.
N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren
Ryadian

Postby Varnafinde » Jul 09, 2012 4:55 pm

Aravanna wrote:Varna, hopefully you find that segment! It's no fun to lose your writing. :( And I LOVED your post in Games and Blogs. You know the one. ;)

I was so hoping you would go back and see that post - it's not always possible to post anything good in that game, and I enjoyed the opportunity :)

I expect there will be more time to look for the segment now that my summer holidays have started. Unless we go away for too long ...

Will it be realistic (story-wise, we're not doing real reality ;) ) that other parts of our world would have an alternate reality as well? Seeing that the gargoyles of Eric's clan, who live in our world (at least as Varna visits it) have one? Varna might be aware of it - not as directly as the others, but still ...

If it's not just a local thing in the gargoyles' area, that is, caused by some not so far-reaching effect?
(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)
Varnafinde
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum

Postby Ryadian » Jul 10, 2012 2:55 pm

Just posted one of my segments; still working on the other one. :P :ymblushing: I also, finally, got around to posting bios for Kirane and Logan, as well as an updated bio for Phoenix Archer (which actually explains her history :P ).

Varna--I think the idea so far has been that the alternate reality is basically an alternate version of the entire universe. So, Ditto Town and all other worlds in that alternate universe are separate from the ones here. (And, for some reason, these worlds seem to be coming into contact with each other.) I hope that made sense; my brain does not want to function today.... :ymblushing:
Ryadian

Postby Silvan_Haven » Jul 10, 2012 6:13 pm

Sorry if my short posts throw people off. I have always had problems writing things that are long.
"The road the hell is paved with good intentions.

Heh,

So is the read to Heaven."
Silvan_Haven
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby stargazer » Jul 10, 2012 9:35 pm

No worries about segments that might seem too short, Silvan_Haven. You're doing a good job describing the settings and getting your characters into the story.

shastastwin, I gotta say that I'm really enjoying the way you're writing this new clan of gargoyles. Both the humorous, playful parts (the kid climbing on Chance's head!) and their more serious aspects (clan protection). And I especially like the fact that their stone sleep schedule is opposite the 'usual' one. It'll blow the Silvermoons' minds and should offer some fun variety later on

And thanks for adding Rick's/Ranger's bio to the Census Bureau!

Ryadian, nice job adding Kirane's detailed bio there as well.

Varna, my idea of the alternate worlds is that each represents an entire alternate universe - each containing the ditto world, the gargoyles' home world, etc. (Perhaps something like the old TV show Sliders). Normally the universes are completely separate from each other and cannot be reached without the use of some plot device (like an Einstein Rosen Bridge ;) ), but my latest segments had some of the alternates 'bleeding' over into Abby's reality - the 'prime' universe the story is set in. [/ramble]
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Varnafinde » Jul 11, 2012 10:24 am

It seems I can go ahead with my idea, then :) - as soon as I find the first draft of my segment :(

And there have been some interesting segments lately - I also enjoyed the other gargoyles :)
(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)
Varnafinde
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum

Postby shastastwin » Jul 11, 2012 5:02 pm

I have posted a short seggie to provide a bit of perspective on the story's recent events. Fellow conspirators and Nine writers, please set me straight if anything seems out of place, and I will make the necessary edits. :)
"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you..."
shastastwin
Moderator Emeritus
Saint Schwinn

Postby Ryadian » Jul 11, 2012 7:55 pm

Okay, I've posted both of my segments. So yeah, I'm posting about my characters at the different times at the same time. :P Right now, I'm just splitting them between this afternoon (when they meet Silvan and Dernhelm's new characters), and this evening (when they go to the Emporium).

Fair warning: I work a lot for the rest of the week and I'm house-sitting for my sister this weekend, so I may not be around to post/collaborate much. :(

Silvan: Don't worry about it; usually, the reason why we have long posts is because we've had a while to work on them, and are just writing for our characters. :P (At least, that's my experience.) Short & sweet works, too! :) Also, just a note about my segment: my character mentioned the Ditto Town Mechanic, whose author isn't actively writing right now. (He's my brother. ;) ) If all else fails, I can either get my brother to collaborate for a few segments, or I can write them myself with his approval. (That is, if your characters are interested in visiting him.)

stwin: Oooh, I like this new development. ;) (And I'll admit it: I'm kind of glad to hear about the Headmistress' fate.) I love the development with now the Nine are involved; all this time, I'd been thinking the split was some kind of freak accident.... :D
Ryadian

Postby stargazer » Jul 11, 2012 8:29 pm

shastastwin, I doubt Abby would be too happy if she were to learn that her child's gender change in one of the alternate universes was simply the Marksman amusing himself. It probably would get a rather violent reaction from her. ;))

Rya, let me know if you'd like my assistance in twisting your brother's arm...;)
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Silvan_Haven » Jul 11, 2012 9:45 pm

I don't think we need to cause your brother any harm just yet. :p When I said scratches I meant just that. They will say "Hi" at some point, probably looking for materials that they can't make themselves or something.

For now they will mostly just be getting acquainted with the place.
"The road the hell is paved with good intentions.

Heh,

So is the read to Heaven."
Silvan_Haven
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby shastastwin » Jul 12, 2012 6:36 am

Gazer, I'm assuming that means you're okay with it, but there's potential character conflict down the road? If so, that is great.

Rya and Silver_Haven, great new segments!

Rya, this doesn't mean Abby is going to get stuck in another time loop making refreshments, does it?

Also, I really liked this line: "Who was she to question gargoyle architecture?" ;))

shastastwin
Moderator Emeritus
Saint Schwinn

Postby stargazer » Jul 12, 2012 3:15 pm

I'm okay with it, shastastwin - 'tis brilliant! 'Bout time Erik and Abby 'boot some head,' eh?

I'll soon be posting a follow-up segment to Ryadian's. My take is that these are occurring in the prime (original) universe.
stargazer

PreviousNext