This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Ditto Town Library

Home of chat, writing, and role-play.

Moderators: stargazer, Lady Arwen, Ryadian

Re: Ditto Town Library

Postby shastastwin » Nov 15, 2009 2:13 pm

"begins thinking about what would have happened to his characters if the Org had conquered Ditto Town*

Wow...that would be fun! *now blames gazer for more story ideas* ;)
"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you..."
Inexhaustible Inspiration
shastastwin
Moderator Emeritus
Saint Schwinn

Postby Fire Fairy » Nov 17, 2009 2:04 am

Hi! I'm kind of new to the forum, so I've just been poking around. I haven't had time to read much, but I'm very interested in roleplaying, although I'm worried about it getting in the way of schoolwork and sleep. :ymblushing: Is there any way I could get maybe a summary or something of the story? And about how often should I post? (If I decide to join, that is). I've only roleplayed once, though, and that was with one other person, so I don't really have much experience with it. Wow, look at the time...I better go to bed. (-|
Member of the Dragon Lovers Club. PM FrecklefaceJill to join.

Avy & Sig by Ithilwen--thank you!
Fire Fairy
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby starkat » Nov 19, 2009 9:32 pm

Hey FireFairy! Welcome to the forum! Sorry its taken so long for one of us to post a reply. :ymblushing:

The Inn Between is a bit more in depth than the other role playing threads. Ours usually run a year or more before wrapping up depending on the speed of the writers. Right now, my characters are making their way back after being stranded in another dimension. While another set of my characters are just going about their daily business in town. We are still in the middle of setting up our storyline for this story so now is as good a time to jump in as any. :D

You might call this more of a round robin story. I write something, stargazer writes something, etc. We try and build on what the other is writing. :)

If something a bit faster paced is what you are interested in, the other role play threads might be more your style. :)

I don't mean to make it sound overwhelming. Sorry if I am describing it poorly. All of us would be glad to answer any questions you have about jumping in and getting involved and we would love to have you. :)
starkat

Postby Fire Fairy » Nov 20, 2009 12:07 pm

Thanks, starkat. It all sounds very intruiging. I might consider the faster-paced stuff, but that's only because I've only roleplayed once, and with one person, and it was in that style. The only problem is that most of those stories seem pretty far into the plot, so I'm a bit lost as to what's going on. I really like the idea of the Inn Between, but I'm still a little confused as to how it works. When I was reading some of the posts in the Inn Between, it seemed to me that they were each their own story. Is that simply because it's early in the story, and the characters haven't met up yet? And another thing I'd like to know is if there is a specific direction this story is going. And it would also be nice to know a bit of background info. Again, thanks for answering my questions. :)

Fire Fairy
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » Nov 20, 2009 4:23 pm

Hi Fairy Fairy! I'll offer a slightly-belated welcome to this thread.

I'll echo what starkat has said and offer a few comments on your latest questions:

You're right: the current posts in the Inn Between look like independent stories, primarily because this chapter is just getting started. As this is the 8th chapter/installment of the story, some of the characters have known each other for a long time while others are brand new and are just being introduced.

Should you decide to take a stab at joining us (and you're certainly welcome to do so!), an introductory segment would introduce us to your characters and get things going. If you like, you're welcome also to write up a bio of your character(s) and post it in the Census Bureau (a template is included there, or you may adapt it if you wish). Feel free to reveal as much or as little about your characters and their backgrounds as you like - it can be fun to gradually reveal things about your character as the story goes on rather than telling all at the beginning).

There is a lot of background to the story, though I think it's possible to get involved without reading all the past installments (should you want to read all or some of them to get more of the 'flavor' of the story and its setting, they're all linked on starkat's site (see her signature) under "ditto archives"). A lot of background information is also available, in a shorter form, in the 'history' sections of the Census Bureau entries. Writers have also created two Ditto Story Indices, which are linked in the first post in the Inn Between thread. That post also includes a few comments on allowable characters.

A few other things to keep in mind:

Your characters need not be native to Ditto Town or even its world (mine are examples) but most of the story will be set there (again, there are some exceptions; for example, Erik and Abby just met Katherine and Gwanuig in their home world rather than Ditto Town). So possible introductory segment(s) could include the tale of how your characters get from their home to this one.

Writing interactions between your own characters and others in the story is fun! If someone's characters interest you, send them a PM with some ideas. It may be their characters can meet you right away, or it may take some time (if they're busy somewhere else).

As far as the overarching plot of this story, we're still discussing those sorts of things here. Previous chapters have included a group known as the Organization as the antagonists; the Nine mentioned in this story may be related to that group. Once we get going we'll likely see more of them.

So to sum up, this is a good time to join because we're just getting underway in this chapter. There is lots of information, to be sure! We're pleased you're interested in the story and are eager to help answer your questions; please continue to post them here and we'll do our best to give you the information you need.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Fire Fairy » Nov 21, 2009 1:10 am

Thank you so much, stargazer! You have been very helpful. I think a roleplay will be good for me. I need to write more, even if it's not in my novel, and perhaps something like this will also help me get out of ruts in my novel. And it will be good for me to see other people's writing styles. I'll start dreaming up a character or two, and maybe I'll start writing! :ymdaydream:

Fire Fairy
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Sonny » Nov 23, 2009 9:46 am

Please forgive me for three things:

1) I disappeared. The problem is this: LIFE! And I know you guys will understand. That leads to:

2) I haven't posted anything. I will, trust me, some day... And also:

3) Reset? This is confusing me - who is "she"? I am sorry - should someone PM me, or is this something that can be explained here? I will try to be on more often!

Anyway, Kat, your posts are awesome! I love how you and Gazer have been writing in flashbacks.

I have been waiting for Molly's hatching since summer of '05. Wow, finally! (Gazer, do you remember Abby in human form plugging a hair drier into a currant bush to dry Erik in lamb form?! Inn Between)

Do you think Loren would like to work at the Power Plant? Maybe he is one of the computer techies?

The Phoenix plot line is amazing! I can't wait to read more!

Well, as I said, I hope to be on more. I would like to know how I can get the DeHonds involved more intricately with the main plot. Any ideas?

Miss you all!

-
Sonny
-
Sonny
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » Nov 23, 2009 1:39 pm

Glad to see you stop by, Sonny! I look forward to seeing more of you (and your characters).

I can't speak for the owners/operators/writers of the power plant, but suspect Loren's skills would come in handy there. They may also come in handy depending on how the 'reset' plotline unfolds, which could lead to increased involvement for your characters in that part of the story.

I enjoyed writing the hatching stuff in flashback form, and it worked well with the 3-month gap between chapters. That reminds me...your characters are expecting a little one as well. It might be fun to write up a baby shower segment (or several) for them; if Loren goes to work for the power plant it could be included in there as well. Or you may prefer to go right to the birth of their child. (We just need a little time to get my characters, and kat's, back to Ditto Town ;) ).

(I do recall that hair dryer bit. ;)) Once upon a time we had a "Calvin Ditto Ball" which was a lot of fun. Some of it is still saved on my computer).
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Fire Fairy » Nov 23, 2009 6:01 pm

I've written my first post for the Ditto Story! What I would like to know is, is anyone interested in having one of their characters meet mine? I would prefer someone who's currently in Ditto Town. My next post kind of depends on having a character to interact with. PM me if you're interested.

I've got some ideas for some other characters, though, and I'll post as soon as I get a better idea of what I want to do! :)

Fire Fairy
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Aravanna » Nov 23, 2009 11:36 pm

Welcome to the Ditto Story Fire Fairy! :D I hope you have a blast writing in our slightly convoluted story. I'd be interested in meeting your character, but alas, all my characters are preoccupied at the moment. Well actually, I don't know what to do with some of them. See below...

Okay starkat, I have a question for you. Is the Org now in charge of Ditto Town? Can I write a post for Erica and Val like everything is normal? Should I go back and change Lucid's post since he obviously wouldn't be out happily job hunting if the town looks like the apocalypse hit and is under the thumb of evil? I guess I'm actually quite confused how this is going to work into the story.

And didn't Olivia just create an impossible time loop since she stole the water that gave her her powers in the first place? This is a really fun idea and I think we can build around it for the entire story, I just need to know the actual effects of her actions are.

Nice to see you post again stardf! It's been a long time. :D Looks like your star defenders are up to something.

And nice to see you too Sonny! I would LOVE for Loren to work at the Power Plant. I created it so that Lucid could have a job, but with the intent that it was public property. Use it all you like.
Aravanna
Moderator Emeritus

Postby starkat » Nov 24, 2009 4:50 am

Aravanna wrote:
Okay starkat, I have a question for you. Is the Org now in charge of Ditto Town? Can I write a post for Erica and Val like everything is normal? Should I go back and change Lucid's post since he obviously wouldn't be out happily job hunting if the town looks like the apocalypse hit and is under the thumb of evil? I guess I'm actually quite confused how this is going to work into the story.

And didn't Olivia just create an impossible time loop since she stole the water that gave her her powers in the first place? This is a really fun idea and I think we can build around it for the entire story, I just need to know the actual effects of her actions are.

Before she could exit, she could hear a small voice call out, “I’m thirsty! Anyone else want something?” She choked back a sob and managed to vanish one final time.

Note the final transition out of there was before the actual event could take place. So until the event took place, history could not have changed.

Also...

Who said it was the same Olivia from this dimension? ;)

As to the what happens now... I left it to where there were two ways to go. Doesn't mean it could go the way of the Organization "ruling" Ditto Town. I think the general consensus was to have it be where my characters lose their abilities, but nothing else changes. Everyone still remembers.

Wonderful segment Fire Fairy! I've got two characters in Ditto Town that are available for meeting new people. :) Lianna works at the Apothecary and Ryder works for the Tireless Engineer fixing things and building stuff. So they are around town at all hours and locations. :D
starkat

Postby leuthilalda » Nov 24, 2009 1:23 pm

I ditto Starkat's comment above Fire Fairy. It was a really great segment. And welcome to the story. I have several characters that you could meet also.

My personal preference would be to use the second option on the "reset" (they lose their powers, but everyone remembers). Otherwise, it pretty much invalidates the last 5 chapters, and several of the posts in this one (e.g. the one with Lucid).
Hail, Cameron Rhodes. May you always have the best mushrooms in the Shire, and keep a sharp watch out in service to King Peter.
Narniaweb Chamber Orchestra
Neutralist Party.
Defender of the Order of the Cricket
leuthilalda
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Fire Fairy » Nov 24, 2009 5:44 pm

Thanks, starkat and leuthilalda! I don't really care who she meets. I just need someone to introduce her to Ditto Town. Especially since she has no idea where she is. And I'm glad you like it. :ymblushing: :)

Fire Fairy
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » Nov 25, 2009 12:39 pm

I also enjoyed your introduction, Fire Fairy! My characters would love to meet yours, though it might be a while since they're out of town at the moment. ;)
stargazer

Postby Sonny » Nov 27, 2009 10:39 pm

Quick question - what is the weather like in Ditto Town? My segment that I am working on has Loren and Eliana walking home after the hatching - is that likely?

Second question - is the Fountain still magic? That is, what happens when, say, a human touches it or falls in, etc? I mean, nothing happened to Shannon in stardf's last post, so is it a case-by-case magical fountain?
Sonny
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby starkat » Nov 28, 2009 8:32 am

The fountain itself has no magical properties. The fountain is merely overtop of the water that combined with water from a fountain in Lianna and Olivia's hometown along with one other element if I remember correctly, causes odd effects in humans, but only after an electrical shock. Which is why the Graysons and Gibsons have their abilities through science and not magic.

Don't forget, the fountain is home to Bob Saget the platypus. ;)
starkat

PreviousNext