This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The Town Square II

Home of chat, writing, and role-play.

Moderators: stargazer, Lady Arwen, Ryadian

Re: Town Square II

Postby RubyGamgee » Aug 19, 2010 3:43 pm

*pops in to make a quick post*

lysander, I bet it'll be nice having things slow down. Do you work at an indoor pool in the fall? Because, I didn't think outdoor pools were open during the school year. I'll probably work as a pharmacist. That's what my sister is doing. She's taking a course on pharmacy tech, not like it has anything to do with what she actually wants to pursue. But pharmacists get paid decently and there's a lack of them, apparently.

That's probably the simplest solution for me. It does sound a bit dull though. When I start college, I'll probably try to get a job as a music teacher's assistant. :) Who knows, though? In two years, I might decide I want to do something entirely different. :P

Liberty, I'm glad to hear you're doing well! By the way, I think your avatar is adorable. Did I tell you that already? :P I can't remember.

I've been doing so-so. My school year is looking like it's going to be a good one, if not a bit boring. Things haven't really completely picked up though. Dance class starts this week and then in a few more weeks, I should be in a high school ensemble. :) We'll see how that all works out.

Have you started school yet? A lot of schools wait until after labor day. I'm home schooled, but we still try and stick with the standard school year around here. :)

Yes, I know exactly what you mean Princess Anna!! Sometimes I find myself avoiding writing a catch-up post just because I have so much catch up to do! Putting it off never helps though, because then you just have more. :P

I believe you told us all how you were doing. If not, I think we could assess that you're doing relatively well. I mean, you're not dying or anything, are you? ;)

Well, that's all for now! I'll be off! I have chemistry home work to finish up before the weekend! I'm driving up with my sister to drop her off at college with my mother. :) Should be exciting, but I have to stay ahead of home work... :)

God bless, everyone! :D
blog | graphics | youtube channel
member of the Tenth Ave. North club
Keeper of the Secret Magic
1 Peter 3:15
RubyGamgee
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Lady_Liln » Aug 19, 2010 6:31 pm

Mortereve, all!

*decides on Deas Vail's All the Houses Look the Same as the catchup album of the night*

*waves to Ben*

Booky wrote:That's the problem with getting to know people, they stop cowering in your presence.
I don't remember ever cowering in your presence. :p *pities the Head of DPMC's apparent lack of cowering fans*

Tut tut! The Epic One wishes a lady to cry? How rude! ;) ;))

I've been doing well. Classes start on Monday, so I'm mainly just spending these last couple of days doing as little as possible, because once the twenty-third comes, I'll be busy til December. :p :D How about yourself? When do you start classes?

*cheers that Anna is still alive and well*

Aiden, high school is fun? How shocking! ;) Are you taking any especially fun classes this year?

Ruby wrote:Apologies, Lady Liln!! I really need to figure out how to take my playlist off of automatic play. :P
It's no problem. I had a good laugh at myself. ;))

Ditto what Ly said about a high school/college job not having to sync up with what you want to do when you graduate college. I've worked as a lifeguard, swim lesson instructor, and swim team coach. None of which are things I'd expect to still do when I'm 50, but they are things that teach you basic job skills. Don't underestimate that a job won't help you, just because it's not what you want to do in ten years. (Though getting a music related job would be great, but try to be open to other things). Also, a lot of colleges do offer scholarships which can help with tuition and such. :) Best of luck with the job hunting. :ymhug:

Cymru wrote:Like Anna, I also am not dead, which, I suppose, is a good explanation for how we are both posting - although it would be nice if God allowed email in heaven. It would clear a lot of things up, wouldn't it? Hah. More likely, the world would blow up in ten days or something.
;))

There's a second Nanny McPhee? :-o The first one was okay. *awaits Cymru's verdict on the film*

Libby, the new clips of VDT are pretty encouraging, from what all there is to see. :)

Mel wrote:We think we did too. ;)) I can show y'all pictures of places we went that we didn't take. :p
;)) I'd like to see pictures of places you went to but didn't take. (I'm very glad you didn't take the places, because then if I ever wanted to see them myself, I'd have to track you down to let me borrow them for a viewing). ;) ;))

Mel wrote:*debates watching the new clips* On one hand, I think I"m already more spoiled for VotDT than I was for LWW or PC, and one more won't hurt, but... I really like being a member of the Spoiler Free Monastary. ;))
Skip the first three seconds of each clip and you can be She Who is Spoiler Free of the Title Clips. :p ;))

Ly, the things you mentioned at your spoiler about the new clips are a bit concerning, but there's been rumors of both of them long enough that I'm putting them on the Make-a-Decision-When-We-Get-Some-Info-That-Makes-More-Sense. Honestly, I'm more concerned by the fact the screenwriters seem just crazy enough to have killed off Mr. and Mrs. Pevensie, and that's why Eustace calls Ed and Lu orphans.

Now, I'll leave you all with this as I disappear for the night, just cause it's so lovely and calming:
Lady_Liln
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Benjamin » Aug 19, 2010 7:54 pm

*enters into the square every once and a while looking over at the Patriots vs Falcons game*

Hello all and Good Mortereve! How are things with you all today?

So who is like crazy over the NFL?
What I think about it is it's fun to watch with friends but as far as being a fan I'm not ;))

So I bought Tenth Avenue North's "Over and Underneath" just last night! I'm liking it! They are a great band!

Now we are done with the Game now we are going to watch "The Lucy Show"!

I think I will watch August Rush sometime soon, I saw it a long time ago and remembering liking it soooo....

Yeah I'm just rambling on about everything because I have nothing better to do ;))

*waves back to Lady Lin*

Alright I'm going to head off now! See you all later!

--Benjamin
Avvie By Flambeau Sig by Ithilwen
Team Hoodie!!
Benjamin
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Glenstorm the Great » Aug 19, 2010 7:57 pm

Hey-ho!

I am hyper tonight- Libby came over and another one of my friends came over and we all squealed over the new clips ;)) . They make me excited but I still don't like them. I wish they were closer to the book. Oh well.

I'm rather sad too b/c Yuka left last night :( . We were all bawling, even her, which made it worse. I loved having her as my little sister...

anyway, time for (alot of!) catchup :) .

malkah wrote:Catching up: (only from this Square, unfortunately. I tried to go back through twenty-some pages in the old Square, but it was Too Much. :( I'm sorry for any conversations that got dropped!)

aww :( . Would it help if I gave a link to my last post? We were having a nice conversation...you had just asked me what bands I liked besides TRS ;) .

Joshua Bell does the violin for Mi Mancherai?! I can't believe I didn't know this! And as if that song wasn't gorgeous enough already... :x

I don't think I knew you were a Josh Groban fan, either! What are some of your favorites of his? :)

yes! I know! :ymdaydream:

LOVE Josh Groban *melts* :p ! I like love

You Raise Me Up
You Are Loved (Don't Give Up)
So She Dances
Mai
February Song
Now or Never
Lullaby
Oceano
My Confession
Si Volvieras a Mi
When You Say You Love Me
Remember When It Rained
Alla Luce del Sole
Gira con Me
You're Still You
Canto Alla Vita
Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring
The Prayer (with Charlotte Church- BEST version of this song :D )

*is nearly knocked over by the Onslaught of Tongues in Ali's post* :p

;))

Oi. Has it really come to this? :p

I don't actually mind Bieber that much. It's just that he's everywhere. The other day, I walked into Sports Authority and there was a Justin Bieber poster up on the wall--right in between Tom Brady and Albert Pujols. I mean, wha...? ;))

How exciting that you went to NYC! :D What did you see/do?

yes ;)) . It's almost unfortunate. I like him against my will and better judgement :p .

that's why I hated him at first. I hate overly popular things. Anything. But I've been following him since before he was famous and got a record deal. So I always kinda liked him. I just admit to it now :p .

Mainly just Central Park and the zoo there and Town Square. And we looked at the Empire State Building and Statue of Liberty from a distance. We mainly walked around and talked :p .

SM wrote:Hmm the topics of conversation seem to be about Justin Bieber, and NYC, Robin Hood, Doc Who and Jeremy Camp. Among other less famous things. I'm not sure there's such a big Bieber craze where I live, but I do like one of the kid's songs, 'One less lonely girl' or something like that. NYC sounds lovely, Glenstorm I'm rather jealous!

yeah that's one of his good songs. I'm really addicted to Never Say Never right now, which he does with Jaden Smith. Lol, yeah NYC was fun :) .

;)) That's too funny! I don't suppose she sports dreadlocks and bare feet?

;)) nope. I don't have dreads, but bare feet about 99.99999% of the time, yes! :p

Mel wrote:Ali, I've seen pictures of the Egypt exhibit! (Well, the outside. ;)) ) I hope you do get to go, it sounds really awesome. :D Our local art museum had a sort of similar exhibit several years ago and we went to that. Very cool. B-)

;)) . I will be devestated if I can't go, so I really hope I can too! *must look up pictures* Ooh lucky!

*randomly throws out her Beiber story* So my dad and I walked into Target, and there was a concert or something on the TVs and my dad's like, "Hey, that's Justin Beiber." I say, "Who is he, and why do you know of him?" "He's famous." "Huh. I've never heard of him on NarniaWeb, so he can't be that famous." And then a couple days later Booky starts complaining about him, and after that he's been everywhere so I guess he is famous now. :p

:)) I've been following him since his youtube only days so I've kinda always known about him :p .

Jo wrote:Yes, I do seem to recall that. ;))

;)) yes it's only pretty for Christmas and then it's horribly annoying :p .

Mmm, I love going barefoot! And what fun about the frogs. We did something similar when we went to wisewoman's after the Moot: waded for ages in a stream, and picked up (or tried to) salamanders, frogs, and crayfish along the way. Fun!

that's sounds so fun! Especially the Moot part :p .

Ditto. DITTO! I mean, who can resist a scene like this? *contented sigh* (Well, I guess GtG might. ;)))

;)) it's pretty but I wouldn't want to go there...at all :p .

GtG, sound like you had a fabulous time in NYC!

yes I did :) . Have you ever been there?

Libby wrote:[n]Ali[/b]: haha, I will join you in burning "Finding Nemo"! my dad keeps saying, "Let's watch Finding Nemo" so we watch it but he falls asleep, thus missing most of it and then he claims that he didn't see it and we have to watch it all over again! ugh! ah, headaches are NO fun! :(

;)) I love that movie, but it has taught my sister a bad habit :p .

Miss Ro wrote:I also watched Pirates of the Caribbean last night for the first time! Hilarious movie. ;)) The ending was amazing, and the soundtrack was fantastic! (I already had it from my sister, but music is always so much better with the movie.)

we watched it that same night! For the second time though- it's awesome :D :p . Yes the music is lovely, but the third movie soundtrack is better.

Dani wrote:Yes, I believe we were. :P I remember posting my two bits about it, but I never got back to hear your input on the subject. In brief, I said that the whole deal with relationships isn't so much the terminology you use, such as dating or courting, but where your focus is. As a Christian, the focus of any relationship, friendship, marriage, courtship (I like to use this word :) ), should be Jesus Christ. :)

I did write some but you got busy and weren't able to reply. It was pretty much what you said though- I completely agree. What do you think people should do when they're seeking to start a relationship though?

Hey, a good book you could check out on the subject is Boy Meets Girl by Joshua Harris or his other book I Kissed Dating Goodbye. Both have a lot of good insight for Christians. :)

oh yes I have those both. They're very good. I also like When God Writes Your Love Story and When Dreams Come True by Eric and Leslie Ludy :) .

I always love the acoustic versions of songs, especially Relient K's. :)

as do I :x . Except for the acoustic version of "Which to Bury; Us or the Hatcher?"

Cor wrote:@ Ali. In order to keep up with what I'm responding to, I'll just quote what you said to me. :)

Ah yes, I always forget there is a moderate dislike of Pitt among some girls. :p Sorry about that....

Cheesiness in small quantities can be good. :) I would just stick with Merlin. You're not missing a lot with not reading/seeing Harry Potter. If you're curious about the stories, just go to Wikipedia and read the overviews of them. Save a lot of time instead of reading the books. :p

Drat. :( There are several Youtube videos for Stargate and Legends of the Fall, but only one good video for Last Aribender. If you want, I can PM you the links. :)

*reads over Ali list* Ooh! Nice selection! :D *can't resist..... has to rate the scores...*

------------------------
Braveheart = 3 1/2 out of 5
The Dark Knight = 5 out of 5
Spiderwick Chronicles = 4 out of 5
Pearl Harbor = Never heard it
Black Hawk Down= Also never heard this one
Sherlock Holmes = 3 1/2 out of 5
Batman Begins 3 out of 5
Pitrates 1 = 2 out of 5
Pirates 2 = 3 1/2 out of 5
Pirates 3 4 out of 5
-------------------------

Yep, only 500 more to go. :)

Yay! I have been quoted by Cor, he-who-hardly-ever-quotes! :p

lol it's ok...I don't know why I don't like him really...never even seen any movies he's in ;)) .

I'll probably do that ;)) . I'm starting to be convinced myself that HP isn't that great. I think Merlin's still ok though...

Yes please! I would like a PM with the links :) .

I knew you would rate them :p ! I haven't heard them all yet, but I agree with most of your ratings, except I think Pirates 1 deserves a 3. Pearl Harbor I like alot, but I'm not a very experienced soundtrack-listener so it could be horrible, I don't know :p . Still haven't listened to Black Hawk Down either...

Booky wrote:Oh noes! We're being invaded by Justin Bieber fangurls! ;)) I really don't like his music, but it's the fact that he's everywhere that irritates me. Half the school supplies I'm selling at work have his face plastered on them somewhere. It's like the Hannah Montana craze, only worse.

:)) . It's weird b/c I generally don't like pop, but I really like Bieber's voice and I've been following him since the beginning so I made an except ;) . I really hate how popular he is though. Fads always annoy me 8-| .

*is envious of GtG's library and their wonderful soundtrack selection* At least I already own most of those. I definitely want to get the Braveheart score. Mostly for the bagpipes music. ;))

;)) I had to get those all out on inter-library loan actually, but I'm glad I can get to them somehow. I need to buy more soundtracks- all I have is Narnia :( . Ooh bagpipes are lovely! My friend plays them- I would like to learn if I was a guy, since I"m 3/8 Scottish :) .

Doctor Who is about an incredibly old alien who time-travels in a machine called a TARDIS that is stuck looking like a police box on the outside. He's almost always accompanied on his adventures by a human or two.

sounds weird ;)) . Do you think I'd like it?

The NYC trip sounds really cool, GtG. My mom lived there a few years, but on the outskirts on a military base. One day I'm hoping to make a trip up there and hit all the museums.

yeah I'd really like to visit the museums. I'm really the only one in my family who loves history and art and stuff so we've never been to the museums b/c I'm the only one that likes them :( .

Ben wrote:So last night was a lot of fun! We went swimming and had supper then I stayed at my brothers and me and my best friend hung out for a long time a played a ton of pool are were so hyper! And we stayed up to 2 am! Then I got up at 6:40 to go to work ;)) But I'm still awake!

wow sounds like fun! And you were hyper? :p

*decides not to say anything when Ali says b/c and not because*

good idea ;) .

*notices a b/c in there also* [-(

:| that's saying something.

People chasing you?
Yeah the lights would be cool to see.
Me too!

yeah there was, um, well, have you heard of the Naked Cowboy? He stands in Times Square in his underwear and cowboy boot and hat and plays a guitar. And the city pays him to do this :| . So he kept on following me when we were in Times Square and my dad told the police if he kept on doing it he was going to punch and they said it was ok /:) . And then there was this guy who kept on trying to sell Malena and I tickets to a late night comedy show b/c he though we were older than we were. We told him we were under 21 but he didn't believe us and kept on telling us how awesome it was and following us but our parents stopped him #:-s .

yes the lights are cool. You ever been there?

Oh she likes it a lot too then ;))

yes! Unfortunately :-w :p

I probably will if I get the chance...

good. 'Tis delicious :p .

you say that when you can think of nothing witty enough to compare to my last awesome words :p .

Dye your hair red!? Wow!

yes I love red hair! It's so awesome! Especially natural but unfortunately mine isn't, so I must dye it if I want it so. Still trying to convince my dad to let me though...You don't like red hair?

I am too! Can you just strat using proper English? :P ;)

Alright if that's the way it's going to be it will be like that! :P

:| I use it when I am speaking, just not always in writing!

well what reason do I have to trust you?

did it again! :p

Oh I'm sure your smart :)

good. B/c I am. Immensely smart. ;)

Haha

I know. I'm hilarious :p .

what you don't believe me?! We do! Saw one in our neighbor's yard a few months ago, and we've had bear scat in our woods several times. And scratches on the trees.

Lys wrote:
The Lady wrote:I'm not going to cry myself to sleep over the Epic One's disapproval of the music. :p

That's too bad. You should. ;)

*sniffs* I did. I hate it when people don't like Adam Young's music. It's perfect :( ;) .

Micah wrote:Haha, I like knowing how things will end up. Like in season 1, I was so happy that I knew ahead of time that Marion doesn't die, otherwise it would have been really sad. Anyway, like I said, I'm still deciding about season 2. What do you mean there's a tad bit of inappropriate stuff?

Aw, you thought the trailers were horrendous? I know they weren't great, especially from a purists view, but how can you help but be really excited when you see them?

you remind me of my grandmother. She refuses to watch a movie unless she is told how the whole thing goes /:) . I hate knowing ahead of time, but suprisingly I can never keep away from Narnia spoilers :p . Probably b/c they never really spoil too much.

I cried even though I knew that she didn't die ;)) . Um, there's just some sexual references. They aren't too obvious but they are more frequent than in the first season.

I was extremely excited! I actually hurt my knee b/c I jumped so much- limped for a few days :p . But they were still bad. The new clips too. They make me screech with expectation and delight and then cry b/c of the horrible adaption. I really hope the movie is good.

*waves to dotK* :)

LL wrote:*decides on Deas Vail's All the Houses Look the Same as the catchup album of the night*

good choice :) . Looooove that CD.

Tut tut! The Epic One wishes a lady to cry? How rude! ;) ;))

he called me impertinent! I think that's worse [-( :p .

LOVE that video you posted! I still cry every time I heard that song- it's so beautiful!

edit:

Ben wrote:*enters into the square every once and a while looking over at the Patriots vs Falcons game*

Hello all and Good Mortereve! How are things with you all today?

So who is like crazy over the NFL?
What I think about it is it's fun to watch with friends but as far as being a fan I'm not ;))

*wishes she could be watching the game*

I used to LOVE sports. Still like them alot, but I never can watch them, since no one else in my family does :ymsigh: :p .

TTFN :)
Glenstorm the Great
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby lysander » Aug 19, 2010 9:24 pm

PA, are you working on two books? Why in the world would you do that to yourself??? :-o That said, I can definitely understand what you mean by having everything in your head and somehow not being able to get it out on paper; I've had that problem many times, and am currently having it with one of my short stories. Unfortunately, with my novel (only a prologue and half a chapter long! - you're beating me :p ) I'm not even at that stage. I know how things go for the first few chapters, and I have a few scenes in mind for later on, but in general it's all very sketchy. And I'm not going to be getting to it for a while - I have a short story to write for Jo's journal by October, and one or two others to finish as well. I should start consulting some of the reference books I've bought to help with my novel, too....

Ruby wrote:Do you work at an indoor pool in the fall?

Yeah. We have several different pools at two different facilities, but after Labor Day the outdoor pools close completely. Less hours, less heat ... a much-needed change at this point, as far as I'm concerned.

Lady wrote:Tut tut! The Epic One wishes a lady to cry? How rude! ;) ;))

The Epic One did not wish you to cry, dear Lady; he merely wished to point out that the natural reaction to his dislike of a certain song would indeed be tears, for his opinion is so precious and valuable a thing that the loss of it must needs cause deep anguish. The Epic One is never intentionally rude, either, although his Epicness sometimes precludes him from having to follow social conventions. His is a high and lonely destiny.... ( ;) )

I start classes Monday too! But fool that I am, I am trying to accomplish things before then.

Regarding your spoiler: I'm trying to shut that part of it out of my mind. My hope is that there is some other explanation for it.

Glenstorm wrote:I am hyper tonight

And this is unusual how? :p

Why would you go to the Town Square in New York? There's a much lovelier one in Ditto Town!
~~~~~
"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view... Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it."
~~~~~
lysander
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Princess Anna » Aug 19, 2010 9:42 pm

*waves to everyone, but especially those who said something to me*

lysander wrote:PA, are you working on two books? Why in the world would you do that to yourself??? :-o

Somehow, I don't quite think it's up to me. :p You see, these characters have it in their heads that I'm to do nothing less, than cover their whole lives (from a certain point onwards, anyway). Or at least, cover different times in the history of their families. It's quite an adventure, having these young'uns thinking they are in charge. ;))

I know it sounds crazy, but I don't mind all that much. First of all, it gives me something to work on when I'm stuck on the first one. And second, most of the stuff they tend to tell me happens in the second or third book anyway. (no idea why) It's almost like this series is going to be one long story. And yet it isn't. I don't know how to explain it. Digs had the same concern about it as you, but I told him it doesn't really throw me off too much... seeing as the second book takes place only a few months after the first one. (the first book is written in august, but takes place in june. and the second took place that october, but is written a few weeks later in early november. if that makes sense)

Besides, it's not like I have anything better to do. My whole life consists of: church (and activities with people from there... but that's just once a week. or every few weeks), chores, the internet, the occasional babysitting job, and now Oliver! rehearsals twice a week. So, I have tons of writing time. ;)

That said, I can definitely understand what you mean by having everything in your head and somehow not being able to get it out on paper; I've had that problem many times, and am currently having it with one of my short stories. Unfortunately, with my novel (only a prologue and half a chapter long! - you're beating me :p ) I'm not even at that stage. I know how things go for the first few chapters, and I have a few scenes in mind for later on, but in general it's all very sketchy. And I'm not going to be getting to it for a while - I have a short story to write for Jo's journal by October, and one or two others to finish as well. I should start consulting some of the reference books I've bought to help with my novel, too....

How long have you been working on your novel? Anyway, best of luck with all your writing endeavours. (Well, and school and other stuff too!)

Edit:
GtG- I went to New York City once... my college's choir went and sang the Rutter Requeim in Carnegie Hall (along with other choirs). And we were conducted by John Rutter himself! (has probably mentioned this on the forum before, and it was ages ago... like five or so years ago. So, I'll talk with you about it some other time through pm or something, when I remember more about it) We got to sight-see somewhat while there, but the majority of our time was probably spent in rehearsals getting ready for the performance.

Now, if we're talking the state of New York, I've been to another part of it four times... for that camp I'm always talking about every summer. ;))
Princess Anna
Moderator Emeritus
the Resident Troublemaker

Postby StudyMate » Aug 19, 2010 10:21 pm

*wanders in listening to 'Here Comes the Sun'...George Harrison makes me want to learn guitar!*

*waves at PA and lys, though I doubt they're still around* :(

Harking back a couple of pages…

Jo wrote: Good to hear your college update, Kingskid. Sounds like they're keeping you out of trouble.

What, Kk’s in college now? How time does fly! I’ve always wondered what it would be like to go to an American college, and have a roommate, and live care free in a little kingdom. ;)) I hope you’re enjoying it?! :)

Jo wrote: Oh my, I believe I 'owe' you a PM.

Do you? I shall eagerly await it then. :D

*waves back to Miss Rosario and Mel…after an absence of two days…but they’re polite enough not to mention their aching wrists* ;;)

(Is it just me or does anyone else feel slightly mad when writing in third person like that?) 8-}

PC, your greeting made me laugh. Like, more than this ;)) but less than this =)) . I am doing well, between work, uni, family, the complexity yet smallness of life etc –how goes it for yourself? :)

Bookwyrm wrote: Oh noes! We're being invaded by Justin Bieber fangurls!

Haha, indeed. I was out shopping a while ago in the city and walking along the street was what must have been only a four year old girl singing ‘Baby’ very cutely (if not off key). The Bieber certainly has a far-ranging influence. :-\

Erm, Doc Who is an alien?! There’s my ‘Oh!’ moment of the day, or at least, one of them. ;))

*waves to Lady Liln* How are you? I really enjoy reading your posts, they're very colourful in every way. :)

*introduces self to Ruby Gamgee & Cymru* Hello, nice to meet you both! :)

(p.s. this made me giggle:
Cymru wrote: I love the opportunity I now have to say "Hello Bella-not-from-Twilight!"
)

Mel wrote: There is nothing like seeing Les Miserables in a live performance. I don't particularly care who puts it on, in my experience, it's always amazing.

I have this feeling that your country is more musical than mine, or just so much bigger that the percentage of people interested in musicals feels bigger. I would love to see a school or performing arts group perform Les Mis, but alas anything small scale is always something like Brechtian theatre or some other strange technique that sounds clever in theory, but is no musicale! .../complaining

Well, I’m supposing no-one is around, as it is early morning for many of you –and it’s only the arvo here- might go back to my book. That being, Persuasion (I confess, I’m still not over it). B-)

Glen wrote: I don't have dreads, but bare feet about 99.99999% of the time, yes!

Oh gosh, don’t your feet get cold?? Melbourne is so not bare-foot weather-worthy anymore –I am considering living up north for the winter (the North has received my application, at least). It’s raining as we speak. As I babble and you read. Or sleep, more likely, considering the time diff!

I'd better start with dinner soon, I wonder if I can read and cook atthesametime? Cheers, folks! :)
Love is the answer
At least for most of the questions
In my heart. Like why are we here?
And where do we go? And how come it's so hard?
~Jack Johnson

thanks to Lys for my avvy :)
StudyMate
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Princess Anna » Aug 19, 2010 10:34 pm

StudyMate wrote:*waves at PA and lys, though I doubt they're still around*

I am, sorta. I'm lurking about the forum. ;)) *waves back* It's always a pleasure to see you!

Yep, Kk's in college now... and a mod too! :-o <--- the face I made when I realised that he'd been promoted without me knowin'. ;))

Erm, Doc Who is an alien?! There’s my ‘Oh!’ moment of the day, or at least, one of them.

Yep, a Time Lord, to be precise. I don't know how I know so much about it... when my experience with the show is considerably limited, compared to lots of Narniawebbers, but there ya go!

I would love to see a school or performing arts group perform Les Mis, but alas anything small scale is always something like Brechtian theatre or some other strange technique that sounds clever in theory, but is no musicale! /complaining

The local high school did it in March... I had friends in it (might I add, that one of them was the lead... Jean Valjean? Yeah, I'm not proud or anything... ;)) /end sarcasm), so I went. I have a copy of it on dvd... if you want, I could either 1) get you a copy or 2) make you one, using mine. :) (though, it's weird in a scene or two... it goofed up when they were making it. so, if you wanted one... I'd have to make sure to get you a fixed copy)

Have a good rest of the afternoon! (that's what arvo means, correct?) I hope we can catch up soon! It's been simply ages, and I've missed you! :ymhug:
Princess Anna
Moderator Emeritus
the Resident Troublemaker

Postby StudyMate » Aug 19, 2010 11:04 pm

Hello PA! Lovely to see you too. :)

Oh cool, I wish a local high school would perform it here! And, congrats on your friend getting a lead part -that's always chest-swelling stuff. My little sister was in a school concert last night (in which, ladies and gentlemen, we learnt about the Human Body, and which bone is connected to what other bone) and I was waving frantically when she came on stage -yes, I'm a bit of a dork, but being proud is all good.

And thank you for the offer of a copy, but alas it is never the same as seeing the thing live! Appreciate it, though. (But don't feel too bad for me, Mary Poppins! just arrived in town, and I'll be seeing it before Christmas I think!) :D

catch you around! :) I'm off to do things! (and I hope this post works, my internet is playing up..)
Love is the answer
At least for most of the questions
In my heart. Like why are we here?
And where do we go? And how come it's so hard?
~Jack Johnson

thanks to Lys for my avvy :)
StudyMate
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Bookwyrm » Aug 19, 2010 11:25 pm

I'm really excited about the VDT clips we got today. The trailers were filled with tons of nonsense, but these clips are fairly accurate to the book. I thought Will Poulter was fantastic as Eustace. Maybe a tad bit meaner than in the book, but still very much in line with how I had pictured him.

Lys isn't the only one who needs to watch the LotR movies again. Maybe I will when I make a dent in my stack of DVDs to watch.

@Lys: You've obviously never read any of my RP posts. Some of them are two and three times the length of that post. My characters tend to get into lengthy conversations and forget to shut up. ;))

*dittos Lys' wish for Silmarillion music*

Thanks for that link, Ruby. :) I downloaded the song and liked it quite a bit. You really need to see the Eleventh Doctor in action. I wouldn't go so far to say that he's better than Tennant's Tenth Doctor, but he's still pretty fantastic.

Welcome Cymru! I hardly ever see you anymore off of FB. ;)) Meeting Emma Thompson would be pretty cool. I'd love for her to be in a Narnia movie, but sadly there's not exactly a lot of middle-aged female roles in the remaining movies. Perhaps Aunt Letty?

I'm definitely not a candidate for the Spoiler Free Monastery. I'm actually a more eager seeker of spoilers than I was for PC. I was rather apathetic about PC spoilers and rarely even read the news stories.

Lady_Liln wrote:]I don't remember ever cowering in your presence. :p *pities the Head of DPMC's apparent lack of cowering fans*

I keep all the cowering people locked up in my Dark Lair. You must have just missed the times when I let them out for air.

And how do you know Anna is alive? She could be a vampire. :-s

Not a big fan of football, Ben. I got excited when my home state's team won the Super Bowl last season, but that's about it.

*agrees with GtG about the third PotC soundtrack being the best*
Not sure whether or not you would like Doctor Who, but it can't hurt to give it a try. ;))

*has no novels in progress*
I used to have a ton of story ideas, but my creativity has been focused into RPing for so long the font of ideas has dried up. Looking back, I realize none of my ideas were that creative or original and most were dreadful. I suppose there's something to be said for not having wasted time on something that wasn't any good.
Bookwyrm
Moderator Emeritus
Lord of the Little Ponies

Postby Meltintalle » Aug 20, 2010 5:58 am

lys wrote:Will the Spoiler-Free Monastery be kicking off soon, pray tell?
The last word from the Most Reverend Father and Holy Mother is that they don't know. My guess is that it'll be sometime in November.

This is Adam Klein's page for his opera. I dunno. The few times I've tried listening to it, it never really captured my imagination. The music style seems too modern for an opera.

It was swans because swans are random, and fairy tale. Who would pick a swan to be the bad guy unless they're really a conflicted good guy with lots of angst to work through? :p (I thought there were seven brothers (and the littlest retained a swan wing because the jacket was not complete at the time of his retransformation)? Or are we not thinking of the same story?)

PA wrote:If you ever think of a graphics idea you'd like done, let me know and I'll try it!
Ooooh! Really? *eyes quote file* I do have a couple... ;;)

It was a very original pizza break. Apparently, it isn't pizza unless there is pineapple on it, so I had some leftover chicken barbecue pineapple pizza. ;)) It was pretty tasty, actually...

Your choir was directed by John Rutter? Way cool. B-)

Ben wrote:now we are going to watch "The Lucy Show"!
I've seen a few of those. That's fun to watch. :) Which one(s) did you see?

Matette wrote:(Is it just me or does anyone else feel slightly mad when writing in third person like that?) 8-}
"Oh, yes. Quite mad." *shakes head* "But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are, you know."

That will probably fall very flat if you haven't seen the 2010 Alice in Wonderland. ;))

I don't know if we're more musical here or not. I've been told that I live near one of the centers of the arts (after all, our orchestra was the only American orchestra invited to the BBC Proms! (or so I've heard...)) but I never really noticed. :P

~LL~, I really like the title "She Who is Spoiler Free of the Title Clips". It's so much more interesting than whatever I was before. Wayfaring Stranger of something, perhaps? ;))

~LL~ wrote:(I'm very glad you didn't take the places, because then if I ever wanted to see them myself, I'd have to track you down to let me borrow them for a viewing). ;) ;))
Hey! That sounds like an evil plan! (But, at the same time, it sounds like a very excellent one. :)) )

Okay. This will get a little long, but I've tried to describe the stuff there isn't really pictures of. ;)) We had no camera, so these are only random shots I've found on Flicker...

Valia and I walked around Minneapolis. We started off by going in on the sane lane, and we made my dad (our wonderful chauffeur) miss his turn so we had an impromptu view of places we would not otherwise have seen.

Our first planned stop was the Stone Arch bridge. We crossed the Mississippi River, and on the far side there was a stairway going down to the waters edge. We then walked under the bridge on a concrete bar thingy. (You can see it in front of the darker stones) I really wanted my camera then; the water was making these lovely reflections on the underside of the arch...

Then we entered the Mill City Museum by way of the plank walkway and ruined courtyard. (Flour dust is highly explosive!)

We saw a movie about the history and ethnicity of Minneapolis and looked at museum exhibits and then rode the elevator/moving picture show up to the observation deck. Then we looked at cookbooks in the baking lab and read about some of the strange uses of food and cooking oil. (For instance, a collage football team greased themselves with PAM cooking spray. Unfortunately for them, while it made them hard to catch it also made it hard to hold on to the ball. ;)) )

The cookbooks made us hungry, so we walked back to Nicollet Mall and stopped at the Minneapolis Central Library to drop off the books I'd been carrying around all morning and get some new ones.

We also learned about the very interesting machines found in libraries. This one has an automated check-in machine that will give you a receipt for your books. I can see this being handy when disputing about whether or not you have actually returned a book, but I really hope they can't loose it after you stick it in the machine... Then we used the self-checkout and argued with it. "Please. Follow. The. Instructions. On. The. Screen." "I have! Like ten times already!" Most trouble I've ever had with one of those. :p

We ate at Panera Bread, and had their strawberry poppyseed chicken salad. MMmmmmmmmmmmm. Delicious! (We ate inside, in the air conditioning.)

We walked back to my dad's work and then we took the car down to the Minneapolis Institute of Arts. We only had about forty-five minutes there before they closed. But we saw a handful of the Egyptian and African artifacts, and more of the Japanese and Chinese pieces. This is one of my favourite pieces, so I made sure we went and looked at it. :)

We couldn't follow the directions back exactly, so we ended up driving around the Basilica of St. Mary in an effort to get back to where we went wrong. One-way streets are a little hard to navigate. ;))
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby lysander » Aug 20, 2010 7:59 am

PA: It's actually quite lovely, isn't it, when the characters decide to rage ahead with their story? It can be a bit scary as well, but it's better than the alternative. To answer your question, I'm not sure how long I've been "working" on my novel, but really I haven't been paying much attention to it since I churned out that prologue a while back. Short stories take up most of my writing time these days.

*hadn't heard the Rutter story before* Most impressive! :ymapplause:

Matette wrote:*waves at PA and lys, though I doubt they're still around* :(

Yeah, sorry, I drop out about midnight my time. But I'm back now! It's lovely to see you here.

(Aside to Jo: to whom do you not owe a PM? ;) )

I was out shopping a while ago in the city and walking along the street was what must have been only a four year old girl singing ‘Baby’ very cutely

My six-year-old sister saw him singing ONCE on American Idol (almost wrote "American Girl," lol) and she occasionally will start singing the refrain to "Baby" as well. That's usually when I ask if she'd like to listen to some opera with me ;))

One never gets over Persuasion. And a very good thing that they don't, either, for it is simply lovely.

Booky, I'd love for Emma to be Aunt Letty. Or the grown-up Polly in LB. That would be fabulous. If the movies had been made 10-15 years ago, btw, I think she'd have made a fabulous Queen Helen.

No ideas? That's always the least of my problems. And I always found that working on the Ditto Story helped in terms of creativity - but then, maybe strict RPs are different. /:) I wish you would try your hand at short stories at the least. I'm sure you could manage a nice mix of comedy and drama, which is always something I enjoy reading.

Mel, opera really can be in a variety of styles, and from what I'm hearing of Klein's music, there are many "proper" recent operas that are a lot more modern in composition than his stuff. But I'm not a big fan of modern opera. Nor of what I've heard of Klein's stuff so far - seems an odd blend of "progressive" instrumental stuff, oratorio, and sub-par 1930s film scores. (Oh dear, that was quite a bit more negative than I meant it to be. ;)) Anyway, not as good as a Shore Silmarillion oratorio would be.)

Yes, we're thinking of the same story - "The Six Swans", I think. Or is it "The Seven Swans" and "The Six Ravens"? I can never remember.
~~~~~
"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view... Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it."
~~~~~
lysander
Moderator Emeritus

Postby narnianerd » Aug 20, 2010 9:14 am

Rides into Square on Sarge... I'm rather low imagination today :p

Well as some of you know I got promoted to Captain on my team, I’m so pumped up. Finds another football player and smashes helmets with him YEEHA!!! Um, so yeah our first game is this Sunday. I can’t wait!

Tonight I’m going to go to a sportsman’s dinner at my church, they will be serving awesome food and I am going to help serve, as long as I get to listen to the speaker while I’m serving I’ll be good, otherwise I’ll get mad.

Tomorrow I’ll be going to a skeet shoot with my church; we will be going out to a local hunting club and start tearing up some clay pigeons, I’ll be bringing my single trigger 20 Gauge over and under Condor, it’s a thing of beauty and you can take off two shots like nothing.
you had me at meah
narnianerd
NarniaWeb Fanatic
Assisstant Lord of the Little Ponies

Postby Queen Susan » Aug 20, 2010 9:41 am

*waves back to Liberty* I'm doing well!

meltintalle wrote:and I am suffering from a lack of real live NWebbers in the immediate vicinity
And how do you think I survive? ;)

*waves to dotK* :) It's ok, I haven't seen Inception either. And I really want to. :p

Glenstorm wrote:and they played Skillet's "Hero" music video while we were there! Woot!
Awesome! We went bowling on Tuesday, the...17th. And they played "Flood" by Jars of Clay and "Gone" by Switchfoot while we were there. Along with a few other songs I don't know but I recognized from hearing them before or from the wedding we were at on Saturday. :p

stargazer wrote:Happy Friday the 13th to everyone!
And I completely missed it!!! Didn't even think about it. At all. How sad. ;)

FF wrote:Yes, my main job is working in the kitchen at a local restaurant. I haven't quite gotten to cook yet (but I think that's a good thing!), although I'm the cook's assistant so I get to make salads, pizza, pies, butter tart squares, muffins, and I do a lot of other food preparation. It's fun. :D
Oh, how fun!! If I ever had a job, I think I'd choose one like that. ;)) For some reason that sort of thing has always appealed to me. :D
So this past week we had friends from Alabama over. That was pretty fun. :) We had a wedding of a mutual friend we went to, which was really enjoyable. :) Anything new with you?

Miss Rosa wrote:That sounds like a thunderstorm, QS. Five couples? Wow! I'm glad everything has been going well so far. :)
I've been all right. School starts in a week, so... I'm trying adjust my summer "schedule" to a more religious one. :p As in, getting more sleep mainly.
And yuck, has it ever been humid around here! My hair is indicating its disapproval very clearly.
Last week was SO hot here!! We got a cold front though, or at least a slight one, so now it's only in the 80's I think. :D
And make that 6 couples we know. ;)) My sister is now expecting again too! :D Haha! Actually-- probably 7. :p 3 from church, 2 cousins, and 2 other friends.
Yep, 7.

Aw, how sad. I missed Bella's birthday. :( :( Ah, well, Happy late Birthday!!!

Booky wrote:*enters the Town Square while engaging in a great and terrible battle against the dark forces at work on his Pandora station who are busily trying to sneak Jeremy Camp and Chris Tomlin in amongst Lifehouse, Skillet, and Relient K*

I've been trying to banish Jeremy Camp since I created this station, but he just won't leave. Now Chris Tomlin is sneaking in.
Ugh, I know what you mean!!! Awful, isn't it? :p ;))

malkah wrote:QS! *waves* What have you been up to lately?
Hey! :) Well, had a family over to our house last week, for about a week. Went to a mutual friend's wedding, and that was really good. :) Hopefully will get some reading and sewing done in the next few weeks. :)

*waves to Ruby* :D

LL wrote:QS, alas, all our VeggieTale movies have gone the way of the VHS player.
;)) Hehe. We still have are VHS player actually. :) Kind of handy once in a while yet.
Queen Susan
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Whistling Welcomer

Postby Edmund P » Aug 20, 2010 12:09 pm

Glenstorm the Great wrote:*waves to Edmund P* I don't know if I was around when you were on here last, but hi! :D
It seems like I vaguely recall you being here when I was around. But only for a little while, because I stopped posting here sometime back in September/October.

Benjamin wrote:So just got done watch The Young Victoria... A really good movie! I really really liked it!
I thought so too! I watched it twice. In my opinion, there are not enough historical films out there - and there really should be more.

malkah wrote:Welcome back, Ed P! It's good to see you again! :)
Thank you! It's great to be back!

Johobbit wrote:Do you know which Lion Party you're going to attend yet?
Do you know if there's going to be one in New York City?

Johobbit wrote:Edmund P!!! Great to have you back in the Square! And I notice you like the maroon font too. ;)) How was your sister's wedding?
And it's great to be back! :) Yes, I started using black several months ago, but I decided to change it up ;) . Oh, it was absolutely gorgeous! Wonderful ceremony, wonderful reception, everything was great! (Despite the fact that the heat index was over 110 F #:-s :-s )

Miss Rosario wrote:Good to see you again, Edmund P! :)
Good to see you as well! It seems like the only time we run into each other is occasionally on the Welcoming Committee.

Ruby wrote:How have you been? I'm asking everyone that right now, because I really don't know and have been away waaaay too long. :P
I'm doing well, thanks! I think I might have the record for being away for too long. 10-11 months without posting a single thing :-s !

Bookwyrm wrote:Welcome back, Edmund P.!
Thank you, Bookwyrm! Oh, and I don't have the . on the end of my username anymore. I had to change that when we switched forums.

*Waves to NarniaNut95*

Well, that does it! I'm debating whether I should go to NYC in September or December. December, for the possible Premiere for VDT there. September, warmer and sooner. If not December for Narnia, then I will definitely be attending a Lion Party somewhere. Thoughts?
I met Georgie and Skandar AND saw the film in one evening.
Edmund P
NarniaWeb Guru
The Parallel Welcomer

Postby NarniaNut95 » Aug 20, 2010 12:28 pm

Mortereve all!

Dani wrote:EDIT: *BIG WAVE TO AIDEN* It feels like it's been forever since I talked to you!! How has your summer gone?
It does seem like forever! How've you been? My summer's gone fast! ;)) I didn't really do much, though... How about yours?

*waves back to lys* How's life going?

LL wrote:
Aiden, high school is fun? How shocking! ;) Are you taking any especially fun classes this year?
It is shocking! ;)) Well, I'm taking Spanish 3 this year, which I love! Everything else is kinda average.

Ben wrote:So who is like crazy over the NFL?
Oooh! *jumps up and down and raises hand* I'm a crazy football fan! ;))

Ali wrote:you remind me of my grandmother. She refuses to watch a movie unless she is told how the whole thing goes /:) . I hate knowing ahead of time, but suprisingly I can never keep away from Narnia spoilers :p . Probably b/c they never really spoil too much.

I cried even though I knew that she didn't die ;)) . Um, there's just some sexual references. They aren't too obvious but they are more frequent than in the first season.

I was extremely excited! I actually hurt my knee b/c I jumped so much- limped for a few days :p . But they were still bad. The new clips too. They make me screech with expectation and delight and then cry b/c of the horrible adaption. I really hope the movie is good.
Haha, well, I wouldn't refuse to watch a movie if I didn't know the ending. In fact, for just any old movie, I prefer not to know how it ends. But for stuff like Robin Hood or Narnia, that I really enjoy, I like knowing a bunch of spoilers.

Yeah, I don't blame you for crying. Even though I knew how it turned out, it was a very sad scene.
Hmm, interesting.

Lol, well, that's more like it! You wouldn't be human if the trailers didn't make you excited. ;)) But I understand having mixed emotions about them. Keep your hopes up! :)

Booky wrote:Maybe [Eustace was] a tad bit meaner than in the book
It'll just make his turnaround that much more drastic!

Edmund P wrote:*Waves to NarniaNut95*
*waves back* How are you? Have we officially met?

Have a great mortereve, all!
Av\Sig by Beautiful_ltdwn
Team Hoodie!
Eschew sesquipedalianism.
NarniaWeb brother of Sonny
Once a SquareOnion, always a SquareOnion.
NarniaNut95
NarniaWeb Fanatic

PreviousNext