Mansion: Winning Your Spurs

Home of chat, writing, and role-play.

Moderators: stargazer, Lady Arwen, Ryadian

Re: Mansion: Winning Your Spurs

Postby Ryadian » Sep 18, 2019 9:40 am

Walk: In a Fog

Faye stared at the boarding house. She had to admit, the fog was so thick that she couldn't be sure, but.... "I... suppose we might have gotten ourselves turned around, but to pull a complete 180 like this?" She shook her head. "I don't like it. Something's wrong here, but I can't put my finger on what."

It didn't help when she heard a voice softly singing in the morning quiet. She turned sharply, startled, and only realized as she did that she recognized the voice. She relaxed, and felt quite foolish, when she recognized the Baxters. She waved them over, and as soon as they were at a reasonable distance, she commented, "So, it seems like an early morning walk was a popular idea." She paused, then cautiously asked, "You didn't happen to go out into the fog, did you?"
N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren
User avatar
Ryadian
Moderator
 
Posts: 12165
Joined: Jun 10, 2004
Location: Minnesota, US
Gender: Female

Re: Mansion: Winning Your Spurs

Postby stargazer » Sep 18, 2019 6:01 pm

Walking out of the fog

"Oh, good morning, Faye," Angie replied. "Yes, we went into the fog, and somehow got turned around or something, so here we are."

"Or something," Dan said with a grunt. "We intended to leave but couldn't. We could have got turned around but I'm willing to believe there's something else going on."

"Anyway, now that we know we just can't walk away from this, what do you think we should do next? Maybe we should find that sheriff or someone who can explain what's going on."
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
User avatar
stargazer
Moderator
 
Posts: 21929
Joined: Mar 28, 2004
Location: by a campfire

Re: Mansion: Winning Your Spurs

Postby Ryadian » Sep 19, 2019 10:03 am

Walking out of the fog

Faye frowned. "I'm inclined to agree with Dan. Molly and I tried to do a bit of hiking, and I'll admit the fog is thick, but two different groups of people? Turning around in the exact same way and coming back to the same spot?" She shook her head. "Nothing about this place is normal or natural."

"I agree, we should find the sheriff. Preferably before the other townsfolk wake up. I'd prefer to only have to deal with one of them at a time...."
N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren
User avatar
Ryadian
Moderator
 
Posts: 12165
Joined: Jun 10, 2004
Location: Minnesota, US
Gender: Female

Re: Mansion: Winning Your Spurs

Postby aileth » Sep 19, 2019 9:11 pm

Walking out of the fog

"Might be too late for that," Molly grimaced comically. "Isn't that one of them with that musician fellow down by the saloon? Anthony, I think--the violinist. His hair is rather notable--stands out like a beacon. Maybe we should have asked him to guide us through the fog. Not that it seemed to help much, if our recent experience counts for anything," fingering her own fiery locks. "Then again, maybe we could get to the jail, or wherever the sheriff hangs out, without them seeing us. If that's what you'd like."
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
Image
User avatar
aileth
Moderator
Peripatetic powder-room sub
 
Posts: 774
Joined: Jan 02, 2014
Location: Beautiful British Columbia
Gender: Female

Re: Mansion: Winning Your Spurs

Postby Ryadian » Sep 20, 2019 12:35 pm

Walking out of the fog

"True. Hopefully he's just an early riser, and Anthony'll keep him distracted for a little while longer." She pondered what Molly said about the fog, and said hesitantly, "I'm hoping the fog'll dissipate as we get further into the morning, but... honestly, I'm not going to get my hopes up."

"The jail seems like as good a place as any to find the sheriff, assuming he's not in bed. Now, how to get there without walking in front of the tavern and being seen?"
N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren
User avatar
Ryadian
Moderator
 
Posts: 12165
Joined: Jun 10, 2004
Location: Minnesota, US
Gender: Female

Re: Mansion: Winning Your Spurs

Postby Meltintalle » Sep 20, 2019 9:46 pm

Walk: By the Tavern

((OOC: I assumed all poetry would be implied, but if it happens otherwise... ;;) ))

Anthony hoped Harry's hopeful prognosis was correct, and that the sheriff would soon solve the town's problems--whatever they were. He bounced on his heels. "When did you say someone was coming by?"

"Oh, any time now," Harry said, clearly far more focused on thoughts of breakfast than anything else.

Storytime was over, and Anthony paced back and forth from the corner of the tavern to the door. He glimpsed others in the fog--yes, there was Molly's red hair--but it swirled again and obscured his view.

Back at the door, Anthony found Harry had been joined by another man, this one jiggling a key in the lock. Harry probably made an introduction, but Anthony was focused on exactly one thing: the violin case still sitting on the bar in the quiet front room.

The chairs were stacked neatly on top of the tables, the upright piano sat silent, and glasses lined the shelves like pale, gleaming, icicles. Without a crowd, the whole scene felt wrong, like a picture frozen just before the action.

Anthony strode through, almost impervious to the atmosphere. He grabbed for the strap, and fumbled a bit when his fingers hit old wood instead of nylon webbing. Still, despite the local flavor, it was his violin case and it meant the world to him. Clutching it tightly, lest it escape again, grounded by the familiar weight, Anthony headed back outside.

The kid--teacher--young man--stood back by the door. Anthony waved jauntily to him. "Thank you, kind sir!"

It was a beautiful morning. Music was at his fingertips again, and all was well--at least in Anthony's world.
avatar by wunderkindlucy
Image
Visit the Silver Chair Reading Group!
User avatar
Meltintalle
Moderator
Ra-pun-z-mel
 
Posts: 7222
Joined: Oct 06, 2005
Location: Scanning your bookcases

Re: Mansion: Winning Your Spurs

Postby aileth » Sep 20, 2019 10:05 pm

Walking in a fog to the jail

"Hey, it looks like they've gone into the building, so maybe now's the time to make a dash for the jail." Molly rubbed her chin contemplatively, looking first at Faye, and then at the Baxters. "Are we all going to go? If I remember correctly, it's this way," and she pointed into the fog. "Wish this beastly fog would clear. It seems to be getting worse, not better."

There were no strange anomalies this time, and before long they had found the jail. Molly curtseyed on the steps, and waved her hand. "Well, here we are. Welcome to the shrievalty of Original. Any ideas on the proper protocol for addressing His Reverence? In other words, do we just knock and hope someone answers, or what?"
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
Image
User avatar
aileth
Moderator
Peripatetic powder-room sub
 
Posts: 774
Joined: Jan 02, 2014
Location: Beautiful British Columbia
Gender: Female

Re: Mansion: Winning Your Spurs

Postby Ryadian » Sep 25, 2019 9:41 pm

Walking in a fog to the jail

Faye hesitated. Walking right into the jail seemed like a bad idea, but did they want to stand around and wait for someone to open up? What was the protocol here? Would the door even be unlocked? Come to think of it, why would the door to the jail be unlocked?

Faye shook her head. No point debating it endlessly. "Well, I guess I'd rather knock and look silly than wander into the town lockup without permission." She reached up and knocked on the door, first an hesitant soft tap, followed by two louder raps.
N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren
User avatar
Ryadian
Moderator
 
Posts: 12165
Joined: Jun 10, 2004
Location: Minnesota, US
Gender: Female

Re: Mansion: Winning Your Spurs

Postby Blackstar » Sep 26, 2019 11:10 pm

Zale felt like a complete idiot. All that he had to do was look at the group of people at the front desk and he would have found is parents, but of course he did the opposite of that. He was grateful that he found though. He never thought that he could hug someone for that long.

The dinner bell rang shortly after and everyone went to dinner. Zale followed the group with his parents into the dining hall and began eating. He doesn’t remember much from the night except a girl named Molly and something about hay.

He would say that he slept well considering how late he usually ends up staying awake. He sat up in his bed and looked through the clothes he had one yesterday to find his yo-yo. He found it quickly, but something was off. He grabbed the yo-yo out of the pocket and instantly noticed that instead of his weighted metal yo-yo there was a wooden one in its place. He sighed ‘First us getting transported to some kind of old-timey town and our cloths being changed, then my yo-yo turning into wood. I thought something bad was going to happen, but I never thought that we would get transferred to a completely different place with our cloths changed! Please tell me this is not normal for this town because this seems normal to them!

Wanting some fresh air without going outside Zale opened the window and looked outside. He saw Faye and Molly walking into the fog, then after a few minuets he spotted two more people walk into the fog. There was something about the fog made him uneasy, or that is just him being worried over nothing like usual.
User avatar
Blackstar
NarniaWeb Regular
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Feb 14, 2019

Re: Mansion: Winning Your Spurs

Postby Bob Saget » Oct 21, 2019 9:47 am

At the Jail

The sheriff saw his visitors walk up to the door, and couldn't help but chuckle when they knocked. Obviously, they weren't used to things out here. He straightened his necktie and strode up the street to greet them when--

"No one's home but us chickens!" a voice exclaimed from inside the jail.

"Well, I'll be hornswoggled," he said. "There wasn't anyone in there when I left last night."

He cleared his throat and turned toward his visitors.

"How are you fine folk today?" he asked, itching to see who might be inside.
Good mortereve! Come on in, the water's great!
User avatar
Bob Saget
Ditto Town Host
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Jan 07, 2006

Re: Mansion: Winning Your Spurs

Postby Arwen_Daeneri31 » Oct 27, 2019 8:00 pm

At the Jail

Hannah Soleira sat in the jail across from her cell mate with whom she had been conversing with most of the evening. One look at her and some might think she came form a previous century or two with her in a bustled polonaise with floral print and a set of pearl earrings, she even had heeled boots which brought her 6'4" inch frame up a bit which she did not like. Anything from her time was in her small matching purse that was lacy with more floral print that matched the cotton ensemble. Hannah's hair was even in the Victorian fashion with an up-do and hat that matched.

She kept going over events in her mind that led her to this point, such as arriving at Ditto Town, going to the mansion to look through some archives, and then she wound up here. She kept a positive mindset however, at least I'm not alone, we can pass the time by talking. The college student thought cheerfully.

As time went on she had forgotten her worry and remained unaware of anyone outside the cell or approaching it.


(OOC: I hope this looks ok, my first post.)
It is a good rule after reading a new book, never to allow yourself another new one till you have read an old one in between.
–C.S. Lewis
User avatar
Arwen_Daeneri31
NarniaWeb Nut
 
Posts: 319
Joined: Sep 26, 2019
Location: Rivendell
Gender: Female

Re: Mansion: Winning Your Spurs

Postby Delia Death » Nov 01, 2019 11:24 pm

While Delia had quite enjoyed her conversations with Hannah, she was beginning to be a bit on edge. First off, she was stuck and she hated being stuck. Then, she was getting peckish, as neither of them had been thoughtful enough to pack a full dinner and breakfast in their pockets. Finally, the pins in her updo kept sticking into her head, and even though she didn't have a mirror, she could tell--this was totally the wrong style for her face shape.

She leaned her head back and listened, a little too annoyed to be properly amused at those outside.

"Who knocks on a jail door?" she mused. "Hey! Nobody home but us chickens!"

She shrugged at Hannah.

"Maybe they have snacks?"
User avatar
Delia Death
Ditto Town Host
Ghost Wrangler
 
Posts: 176
Joined: Mar 31, 2013
Gender: Female

Re: Mansion: Winning Your Spurs

Postby Ryadian » Nov 02, 2019 7:48 am

At The Jail

Faye was relieved to see the sheriff there. She cleared her throat and began, "Uh, hello. We were just out for a morning stroll, and... well, we had some questions we were hoping you could answer."

"We decided to do a little hiking, but we'd barely left sight of the buildings before we were engulfed in the intense fog. And we somehow ended up coming out of the fog almost exactly where we left. Perhaps we just got turned around, but Molly and I were in one group, and Dan and Angie here were in another, and we all had the same experience. Is... is that normal?"

Now that she was talking to him directly, she was becoming more and more sure that this man, at the very least, could be Dr. Milner's brother. She couldn't explain why he looked taller and in better shape then when she'd last seen him, but the resemblance was too powerful to ignore. "I'm sorry, I know this seems like a strange question, but... have we met before? Before last night, I mean? Or do you have a brother - a professor, Dr. Lyman Milner?"
N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren
User avatar
Ryadian
Moderator
 
Posts: 12165
Joined: Jun 10, 2004
Location: Minnesota, US
Gender: Female

Re: Mansion: Winning Your Spurs

Postby Bob Saget » Nov 03, 2019 1:27 am

The sheriff shrugged at Faye’s questioning about the fog.

“Must mean rain soon,” he said. “And aside from last night, I don’t believe we’ve met before. I feel there might be a small bit of confusion. I’m Lyman Milner, at your service, but I’m no doctor or professor. I’m the only Milner in these parts.”
Good mortereve! Come on in, the water's great!
User avatar
Bob Saget
Ditto Town Host
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Jan 07, 2006

Re: Mansion: Winning Your Spurs

Postby Arwen_Daeneri31 » Nov 07, 2019 4:56 pm

Hannah shrugged back, "Maybe." She said looking back at Delia, she was too busy thinking to realise she too was hungry. "I would hope so," Hannah added fidgeting with her dress and hat, this was very uncomfortable.

"Very least I would hope a sandwich, with...something to drink." The tall woman stated leaning against the wall still squirming in her dress.

"What would you want?" She asked starting another conversation while they remained in the cell.
It is a good rule after reading a new book, never to allow yourself another new one till you have read an old one in between.
–C.S. Lewis
User avatar
Arwen_Daeneri31
NarniaWeb Nut
 
Posts: 319
Joined: Sep 26, 2019
Location: Rivendell
Gender: Female

Re: Mansion: Winning Your Spurs

Postby Delia Death » Nov 16, 2019 2:55 pm

“Ooooh, coffee, definitely. Wishful thinking, a cayenne orange mocha. Practical thinking, black coffee. And probably water.”

Delia glared at the door.

“What sort of person knocks on a door and then doesn’t come in?”
User avatar
Delia Death
Ditto Town Host
Ghost Wrangler
 
Posts: 176
Joined: Mar 31, 2013
Gender: Female

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron