This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Original video of C.S. Lewis?

C. S. Lewis, his worlds, and his faith.

Moderators: coracle, Lady Arwen

Original video of C.S. Lewis?

Postby Cleander » Aug 21, 2019 6:31 pm

Hey Narniawebbers,

As I type this I'm listening to the actual recorded voice of C.S. Lewis! :-o A few of his radio broadcasts are on Youtube, as I just discovered. :D :D
What I was wondering is if any actual video recordings of Lewis exist today, or if any were ever recorded. I can't seem to find any online. Does anyone know if there are/is any?
PM me to join the Search for the Seven Swords!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Find it on the Talk About Narnia Forum!
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Re: Original video of C.S. Lewis?

Postby coracle » Aug 23, 2019 10:46 am

Video didn't exist as such in his lifetime.
He may have been filmed but I have not heard of it before.

You could look in the media section of Into The Wardrobe website.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Cleander » Aug 25, 2019 6:45 pm

I checked Into the Wardrobe and only found pictures of him in the "media" section.
If you search "CS Lewis video" you normally get documentaries.
I was wondering if he or someone in his household would have made home videos... but my brother suggested that ol' Jack might not have been quite the type to have new-fangled video cameras about the house. I mean, we're talking about the guy who preferred horses to cars. Seriously. :D
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Find it on the Talk About Narnia Forum!
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby coracle » Aug 26, 2019 6:28 am

I'll try to find out for you, but I suspect that your brother is right in this. Even a 'Box Brownie' camera was pretty good technology in the 40s.

Did you check out the audio parts?

http://cslewis.drzeus.net/multimedia/
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Cleander » Aug 27, 2019 2:29 pm

Ah yes, some of those were included in the radio recordings I found earlier. Good to hear Jack's voice- I'm just a bit disappointed that no actual video of him seems to exist.
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby coracle » Aug 28, 2019 9:00 am

It seems he may have been filmed on an old cine camera by a visitor once, but I assume that it has not survived all those years.

coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Cleander » Aug 28, 2019 2:26 pm

Do you know who might have filmed said video?
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby coracle » Aug 29, 2019 1:46 pm

No, I doubt it could now be traced. It would be on fashioned film (the kind that is filmed on hand held home movie camera), and it probably perished over time. The person who mentioned it in something I read, said they didn't remember who had the camera, and that the film was probably no longer in existence.
I think that's the end of that. But you can watch several good presentations of Jack Lewis by excellent actors. The BBC TV film of Shadowlands (1980s) starring Joss Ackland, and the movie of the same name (about 1990) starring Anthony Hopkins, give a good idea of his character, even though some of the story is invented.

coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie