This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Was C. S Lewis an academic Medievalist by education?

C. S. Lewis, his worlds, and his faith.

Moderators: coracle, Lady Arwen

Was C. S Lewis an academic Medievalist by education?

Postby jewel » Jun 23, 2019 7:58 am

C. S. Lewis, as many of us Narnia fans are aware, taught English Literature through most of his life. In his later years, Cambridge University gave him the chair of Medieval and Renaissance Literature.
My question then is, did Lewis actually go through a Medieval Studies Program? If not was this an honor attributed to him by Cambridge University. As I've never read about Lewis being a professional Medievalist, I was curious if he was. Tolkien was certainly a Medievalist, and I was wondering if Lewis was as well.
For those of you that not read The Discarded Image, you really need too! It is one of my favorite books from Lewis.
jewel
NarniaWeb Nut

Re: Was C. S Lewis an academic Medievalist by education?

Postby coracle » Jun 23, 2019 9:26 am

C.S.Lewis was responsible for writing an important textbook on Medieval and Renaissance literature, more exactly, Sixteenth Century.

He wrote the volume as part of the Oxford History of English Literature: Excluding Drama.

https://www.amazon.com/English-Literature-Sixteenth-Century-Excluding/dp/0198812981

He knew what he was writing about, having got three Firsts in his undergraduate degree, one of them English. Two years later he became a Fellow and
Tutor in English Literature at the university.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby mm1991 » Jun 23, 2019 12:14 pm

Yes, I actually wrote a little biography about C.S. Lewis for one of my college projects, and I remember including his contributions to the field of Medieval literature, which even I had not known up to that point! He was such an interesting fellow.
"Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you!"
- Dr. Seuss

mm1991
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Cleander » Jun 23, 2019 7:01 pm

I actually have a collection of essays Lewis wrote on Medieval/Renaissance Literature, published posthumously by Walter Hooper. Pretty scholarly stuff, but I have never seen Medieval Literature among his credentials as a professor or student. I suspect that was just his interest.
PM me to join the Search for the Seven Swords!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Find it on the Talk About Narnia Forum!
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby jewel » Jun 23, 2019 7:15 pm

That above comment is my point, yes I know Lewis taught English Literature. But does anyone know if he went into a Medieval Studies program?

For those of you not aware, Medieval Studies is an academic program that often serves as a double major to those from one field to another.
jewel
NarniaWeb Nut