This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Narnia and Deism

C. S. Lewis, his worlds, and his faith.

Moderators: coracle, Lady Arwen

Re: Narnia and Deism

Postby Andrew » Jul 07, 2010 10:55 pm

ArtskydJ wrote: God says in His word that (John 1:1c) "...the Word was God". God can not be separated from the Word. The Word can not be separated from Him.

I think it should be noted here that "the word" was an analogy of Christ; the verse properly reads "Jesus was with God, and Jesus was God."

As for the futility of applying deism to Narnia, I think our beloved Ransom said it very well:

Also, Lewis's understanding of Christ, echoed in the character of Aslan, was certainly not "Deist." This itself does not prove Deism(s) is/are wrong. But it is a reminder not to cast Lewis or the Chronicles as what they were not.

Whether or not deism is true in the real world, it is not true in Narnia. Narnia is at its heart an analogy of biblical stories and beliefs.
5.9.2011 the day Christ saved me!

Thank you Lady Faith for the sig!
Andrew
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Shy Galadriel » Jul 13, 2010 11:17 pm

It's late, so I don't have time to read all the posts, I just want to add this thought: Lewis may have not put in all sorts of religious practices because it would have distracted from the story. Also, from the mythical elements of the series. And one more thing, Narnia was not our world, they didn't have a Bible that told them "you should behave such and such". Rather, it was governed by magic.
Just my quick thoughts. :)
I dreamt that I dwelt in marble halls

<3 As you wish <3
Shy Galadriel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Bookwyrm » Aug 07, 2010 4:10 am

I'm struggling to understand where in the books Lewis could have taken the time to have a good old fashioned camp meeting tent revival and Come to Jesus session without interrupting the narrative flow.
Bookwyrm
Moderator Emeritus
Lord of the Little Ponies

Postby Shy Galadriel » Aug 07, 2010 5:40 pm

Exactly Bookwyrm... my point exactly. The point of the books were for him to have fun with his stories. Not give an inclusive review of theology. He wrote several other books for that. But even there he wrote that he did not consider himself an expert.
I dreamt that I dwelt in marble halls

<3 As you wish <3
Shy Galadriel
NarniaWeb Nut

Previous