This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Jadis: part Lilith, part Jinn

C. S. Lewis, his worlds, and his faith.

Moderators: coracle, Lady Arwen

Re: Jadis: part Lilith, part Jinn

Postby parableproductions » Jul 23, 2012 6:46 pm

first, to answer the original questions in this topic:

1. No, I don't think that Lewis believed in the existence of Lilith or the Jinn - but, he always appreciated a good story. And Dernhelm_of_Rohan hit it right on the head when they stated that you might as well ask if Lewis believed in talking trees.

2. I think he chose Lilith to show that Jadis was a true monster - and the Jinn to show her magical side.

3. No, I really don't know any more than that.

Now, to address the seemingly different accounts of her origin found in LWW and MN - I've been pondering this one for years. I've finally come to the conclusion that the accounts don't conflict. And I don't think that the Beavers were incorrect.

Consider this - Lilith was banished (or escaped) to Charn which is the homeworld of the Jinn. Remember in PC after the Pevensies were summoned to Narnia by Susan's horn? I think it was Edmund who says something to the effect of their being called to Narnia just like the stories of the genies being called forth by rubbing a lamp - but no one ever thinks about where the genie is coming from. Maybe it was Charn??

Food for thought.
parableproductions
NarniaWeb Nut

Re: Jadis: part Lilith, part Jinn

Postby Eustace » Jan 22, 2013 5:26 pm

Questions for discussion:

1) Do you think Lewis believed in their existence, since he put them in his book?

I think it was a good point that Warrior4Jesus, used saying that, myths are becoming real in Narnia.

Like many of the other myths, it hard to say exactly why those in particular, but overall, I think it was a good choice. It really showed that Jadis was not the only really evil one in her family.

Also, I think she kind of had to be at leasted ''related'' to humans to look soewhat like them. This is just what Lewis chose.
Homeschoolers taking over the World!
Member of RD's club.
VP of the CWM club
Dragon fan club
I Support Scrubb!
Eustace
NarniaWeb Junkie

Previous