This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Christian Themes in PC

C. S. Lewis, his worlds, and his faith.

Moderators: coracle, Lady Arwen

Christian Themes in PC

Postby Ithilwen » Dec 20, 2010 10:49 pm

I have always loved the book Prince Caspian, and probably have learned more about God from that book than any other. So I thought I would open a topic about the Christian themes inside that book.

1. In the 7th book, The Last Battle, much has been forgotten about Aslan, and most Narnians aren't very keen on worshipping him anymore. Many readers suggest this is a parallel Lewis was making between the last days in Narnia and the way our world will be in our own last days. But in PC, a similar situation had arisen. Everything about Aslan and His followers were chased away, covered up, and forgotten. And evil ruled the land. Do you think there is any paralells we can find, or application we could take, from the situation in PC?

2. In PC, when Aslan appears for the first time, only Lucy sees him, and He is hidden from the others. This, of course, was meant as a test of faith for the others, and a test of obedience and courage for Lucy as well. But why did he choose Lucy as the one to whom He would reveal Himself? Why didn't He reveal Himself to one of the other Pevensies, and test Lucy's faith to see if she would follow without seeing?

3. Trumpkin does not believe in Aslan or the old tales. However, he is still willing to try an experiment involving the old tales, in duty to his king -- even though it could, and almost did, cost him his life.
Later, Lucy tells the others that Aslan has come and they must follow Him. Neither Trumpkin nor Susan believe her. Trumpkin, as before, decides to follow anyway, for the sake of His king. Susan, on the other hand, decides to make it as difficult as possible for everyone -- making a scene, scolding Lucy, pretending she can't get up the hill -- and later admits she did (or could have) really believed it was Aslan the whole time.
When Aslan finally reveals Himself, He is gentle to Susan (who had the worst attitude of the two), and is harsh to Trumpkin (who had the better attitude of the two). Why do you think this is?

Discuss! :D

~Riella
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Re: Christian Themes in PC

Postby StarAsterisk » Dec 29, 2010 4:47 pm

2:

Hmm... Lucy has never been tested for believing without seeing, which is a bit too convenient for her. This test was to see if she would follow Aslan even if he siblings did not. I suppose that was more her weak point so Aslan figured she didn't need to be tested for believing without seeing.

just my thoughts...
signature by Beginte
StarAsterisk
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Valiant » Dec 29, 2010 7:12 pm

Yes, Lucy's struggle was to follow Aslan even when no one else would. I think that's a good character arc for her because as the youngest, she really uses the support of her family. In the end, she must realize that although she should love her family, Aslan comes first. As well, she learns he will support her.

Its beautiful! :)
Signature by daughter of the King; Avatar by Adeona

Keeper of the Secret Magic
Valiant
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby StarAsterisk » Dec 29, 2010 7:25 pm

Well said I agree. It is very hard to go against your family and beleive when they do not but i'm glad C. S. Lewis included this part and shows that God's will come first and he will be faithful to you. Maybe it will help someone who is having a problem with that.
signature by Beginte
StarAsterisk
NarniaWeb Nut