C. S. Lewis and Transubstantiation

C. S. Lewis, his worlds, and his faith.

Moderators: coracle, Lady Arwen

C. S. Lewis and Transubstantiation

Postby jewel » Jun 23, 2019 7:42 am

There were certainly many Catholic doctrines Jack believed in: Prayers for the dead, Purgatory{although not exactly the one that Roman Catholics believe in, I've read Lewis held a Purgatory view closer to Dante then the 16th century understanding of it, but's another discussion}. On the other hand, Lewis demonstrates some doctrines in his Letters to Malcolm that are clearly different from Roman Catholicism, like Lewis's rejection of Transubstantiation. Lewis also clearly rejected some Roman Catholic teachings like Papal Infallibility and an over veneration of the Virgin Mary.
Lewis can be quite unpredictable. His theology seemed hard to pin point into a box. All that I said, I proceed to my actual question.
Why did Lewis reject Transubstantiation? Was this more of a fear Lewis had about Catholicism from his Ulster roots, or was this more about a theological or historical reason?
If this post sounds too theological for this forum, my apologies. I'm not interested in hearing a theological debate here, but rather insight on how Lewis viewed this doctrine of the Eucharist.
Last, Lewis certainly rejected a Memorial understanding of Communion as well. So what Lewis's actual view of Holy Communion?
jewel
NarniaWeb Nut

Re: C. S. Lewis and Transubstantiation

Postby coracle » Jun 23, 2019 8:20 am

Jack Lewis declared himself to be a very typical middle Anglican, not high or low.
He was against RCC teachings, because of his childhood in Ulster.

The Anglican Church around the world has Thirty-Nine Articles of faith.
Here is a page from the [Anglican] Church of Ireland:
https://www.ireland.anglican.org/our-faith/39-articles-of-religion

Number 28 includes a statement about Transubstantiation. It's worth reading in context.
Number 22 speaks about Purgatory.

(Personally I don't think he really believed in Purgatory, but I do like his idea of there being a 'mouthwash' after the 'tooth of life' is pulled. :) )
"Blessed are you, Lord our God, king of the universe, who diversified his creatures" (a Jewish prayer to be said whenever one sees an unusual looking person or animal),
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby jewel » Jun 23, 2019 7:13 pm

I use to think that he didn't believe in Purgatory either. I will try to find the link. Also, Lewis prayed for the dead. How do you call that low or high Anglican?
Yes, I've read the thirty-nine articles many times. Like, I said I will post the links on here, to where I heard those claims.
jewel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby jewel » Jun 23, 2019 7:20 pm

Coracle, I never said held the Roman Catholic understanding of Purgatory. Check out the following links, I'm here interested to here your take.
https://churchpop.com/2017/05/06/why-th ... purgatory/
“Our souls demand purgatory, don’t they?” Lewis asked in Letters to Malcolm: Chiefly on Prayer.
https://www.baptiststandard.com/news/fa ... vens-sake/
Like I said, one of these links claims Lewis distinguished Dante's understanding of Purgatory, from that of the Catholic Church. That said, Lewis still believed in it. He clearly says so in Letters to Malcolm.
jewel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby jewel » Jun 23, 2019 7:58 pm

While Lewis was not Roman Catholic, according to Wikipedia, he is often considered Anglo-Catholic.
I have demonstrated that Lewis believed in Purgatory, though I don't fully understand how he saw it. But back to topic, why did Lewis reject Transubstantation?
To me, Lewis was clearly a high church anglican, with an evangelical touch.
jewel
NarniaWeb Nut