Hilariously Annoying Misquote in Becoming Mrs. Lewis

C. S. Lewis, his worlds, and his faith.

Moderators: coracle, Lady Arwen

Hilariously Annoying Misquote in Becoming Mrs. Lewis

Postby Col Klink » Dec 17, 2018 1:52 pm

I glanced at the book "Becoming Mrs. Lewis" by Patti Callahan. At the beginning, there's a quote from the Chronicles of Narnia. But...here it is.

To defeat the darkness out there, you must defeat the darkness in yourself.
Aslan, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, C.S. Lewis.

#-o =)) Not only did this author use a quote from the movies and attribute it to the books, she didn't even get the character who said it right! You'd think if an author were really interested in Lewis, they'd be a little more careful. I wasn't that interested in the book anyway but that misquote right off the bat really turned me off of it.
For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen
Col Klink
NarniaWeb Regular

Re: Hilariously Annoying Misquote in Becoming Mrs. Lewis

Postby coracle » Dec 17, 2018 3:26 pm

This is worth sending to William O'Flaherty, whose collected misquotes - supposedly by Lewis.

He's on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/techwilliam
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Col Klink » Dec 17, 2018 5:34 pm

This is worth sending to William O'Flaherty, whose collected misquotes - supposedly by Lewis.

I suspect someone has already shown it to him. Or if they haven't yet, they will soon.
For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
Col Klink
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby johobbit » Dec 22, 2018 11:09 am

So-o-o, I just received this book as a Christmas present. That quote was glaring me in the face almost as soon as I opened it! While I have been curious about Becoming Mrs. Lewis, there are some significant red flags going up ... this quote being one of them. Another flag is that I do not see any recognized Lewis scholars endorsing at the front of the book.

I'm going to read it sometime in the New Year, but I am already apprehensive about the author related to this particular subject matter.

How far have you read, Col Klink?

Indeed, William O'Flaherty is the man. ;)) His book, The Misquotable C.S. Lewis: What He Didn’t Say, What He Actually Said, and Why It Matters is in our Lewis library, and is quite fascinating. And disturbing. :P Sure glad he has written such a book.

Sig by Narnian_Badger :)
johobbit

Postby Col Klink » Dec 22, 2018 7:59 pm

I wasn't really planning to read the book, Johobbit. I'm not that interested in biographies or romance novels. But I'm a fan of Till We Have Faces which was dedicated to Joy Davidman. So when I happened on the book in a bookstore, I thought I'd glance at it. I was in a hurry though so I only read a couple of pages.

It'd be interesting to see if the book talks about Till We Have Faces and any connections between her life and it. I hope you enjoy the book. Or if you don't, I hope you can enjoy making fun of it. Feel free to do so on this forum so I can join you.
Col Klink
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby johobbit » Dec 22, 2018 8:12 pm

;)) It's a deal.

I have no interest in romance novels, but biography is my favourite genre. However, this seems much more like the former, from the brief glance I have had. And it is written in 1st person, which I usually don't enjoy. :p

I'll keep an eye open for any references to Till We Have Faces.

I must admit I am not going into reading it with a very positive impression. 8-} ;))

Sig by Narnian_Badger :)
johobbit