This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Tash (Drawing)

Post your Narnia-inspired pictures or poems here.

Moderators: wild rose, SnowAngel

Tash (Drawing)

Postby 7chronicles » Sep 16, 2011 1:55 am

I started a drawing of Tash a few months ago,
I didn't really feel like finishing it, but I forced myself and managed to complete it.
I'm not entirely happy with it, I like and dislike certain things, but I'm still glad I finished it instead of throwing it away. :)
I hope you guys like it ok!

Tash
http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/142/tashc.jpg

The Value of myth is that it takes all the things you know and restores to them the rich significance which has been hidden by the veil of familiarity. C.S. Lewis
7chronicles
NarniaWeb Guru

Re: Tash (Drawing)

Postby StarAsterisk » Sep 16, 2011 9:28 am

Wow that's incredible! It is sooo effective on that black... Very well done! The shading is superb, the way you got it to look to 3D. :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
signature by Beginte
StarAsterisk
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby wild rose » Sep 19, 2011 10:58 am

awesome, that is really amazing 7chronicles, the picture is really creepy and sends chills down your spine, I love the way he came out looking 3D, it's really amazing :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby 7chronicles » Sep 19, 2011 12:26 pm

@StarAsterisk: Thank you so much! :) It was really messy drawing in the black (I had lead smudged all over my face)! So I'm glad it worked out, and that it looks 3D! :D

@wild rose: Yay! I wanted it to be really creepy LOL! :p
Im so glad you like it and that it looks 3D! Thank you so much!!! :D

The Value of myth is that it takes all the things you know and restores to them the rich significance which has been hidden by the veil of familiarity. C.S. Lewis
7chronicles
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Meltintalle » Sep 19, 2011 2:00 pm

:-o

It looks great to me! I love the choice of a black background, that's so striking. And the details...
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby De_De » Sep 20, 2011 7:18 am

WOW 7chronicles! That is the best picture of Tash I have ever seen! I love it! It's really, really creepy. If we ever get a LB movie, that's exactly what I want Tash to look like!
Founder of the Exploring Narnia Club (PM me to join)
Member of the Dragon Club
De_De
NarniaWeb Guru
The Sunny Vitamin D (BC, retired)

Location: exploring Narnia with Frodo and Lady Courage (and a bunch of great NarniaWebbers) in Obi's spaceship

Postby 7chronicles » Sep 21, 2011 5:24 pm

@Meltintalle: Thanks! :) I was debating whether or not to keep the background white or to draw it black, glad it turned out so well! :)

@De_De: Thank you so much! That is so kind of you! :D
 I would Love to do movie concept art someday, so it means a lot to me that you think he should look that way in the LB Movie! :) Thank you! :)

7chronicles
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sep 22, 2011 6:14 am

That is a quality drawing, mate! Well done. Strangely enough, I don't find it creepy (the only downside to this amazing piece of art).
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby Lady Courage » Sep 22, 2011 9:50 am

Here's another black background lover. :D This is indeed creepy!! It looks just like how I imagined Tash! The detail is, as usual, stunning. I love the way he has his head cocked and the way his eyes glitter viciously out at us. Very well done!
Sig by me | Av by Ithilwen
There is no such thing as a Painless Lesson
Lady Courage
NarniaWeb Guru

Location: With De_De, Libby and Lu, exploring Narnia with Frodo in Obi-Wan's spaceship. :D

Postby 7chronicles » Sep 28, 2011 11:51 pm

@Warrior 4 Jesus: Thanks! :D
I also personally wish he was creepier, since I picture him being really, really creepy. ;)
I'm so glad you liked it though! :)

@Lady Courage:
Thank you so much! I'm so happy I managed to draw him the way you pictured! :)
I always loved how Lewis described Tash's head cocked (it helps that I see my parrot cock her head everyday :p )
And I just pictured his eye having a piercing gaze. :)

7chronicles
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Djaq » Oct 06, 2011 12:56 pm

The details in this are perfectly done! :-o Your talent is amazing, 7chronicles, and it really shows in this piece! Yes, it is creepy, but that's what Tash is supposed to be, so you did a great job. I'm not looking forward to seeing him in LB (if it is ever made), because he's gonna be so creepy. ;))
*looks at the picture again* Ahh, it's amazing! Wonderful job!

~Djaq
When things fall apart, be glue.

Team Hoodie!!
Djaq
Moderator Emeritus
Djaq Of All Trades

Postby Elanor » Oct 06, 2011 1:49 pm

Wow, that is an amazing, horrifying picture. I love the black and white effect. It gives me the shivers. :P Excellent job!
NW sisters Lyn, Lia, and Rose
RL sister Destined_to_Reign
Member of the Tenth Avenue North and Pixar Club
Dubbed The Ally Of Epic Awesomeness by Libby
Elanor
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Quinlin » Oct 06, 2011 7:10 pm

Oh my goodness, how did I miss this! It's both a gorgeous and terribly haunting drawing, 7chronicles! :ymapplause: The shading and your attention to detail is simply incredible. You really captured Tash's menacing character, especially with the black and white effect. I particularly like the detail and work you put into drawing his feathers and bodice. You can almost feel their coarse texture and his features really pop against the charcoal background. I can't decides what's more terrifying about him- his bony arms or his curved, threatening beak. The way it curves and all the small sharp spines along it's length create an absolutely chilling effect. He looks practically real, since you incorporated traits from different animal characteristics. I also love the flourish designs and etched designs of his armor. It's amazing how the whole image has such depth and so many layers to it, though it's composed solely of two colours. I really think it's because you shaded it with such precision and added such an array of various aspects to it so it came together perfectly. You must have spent a long time working on this!

Excellent work! :) I'm so happy you finished it and didn't throw it away! :p
I've Been to Narnia!
'I can still hear the hoofbeats in my heart'
Quinlin
NarniaWeb Fanatic
Birthday Committee Sub

Postby 7chronicles » Oct 08, 2011 8:24 pm

@Djaq: Thank You very much, thats very kind of you! :)
Yes I want him to be so creepy in the LB movie!
I can just picture the way he would move, sort of jerky maybe (shivers). :-s
Thanks again! :D

@Elanor: Thanks so much! Glad to hear it's horrifying! ;) :)

@Quinlin: Yay! I'm so glad you feel I got Tash's menacing character right! :)  
The feathers were a pain, but it was all worth it! :p
I originally wanted to draw two of his arms raised above his head (that way I could draw his hands and claws) but it ended up looking weird in that position.
But I'm glad his bony arms are still apparent.
The beak was fun to do! :)
Oh, I'm glad you like the flourish designs, I was hoping it wouldn't be to crowded with those on there.
Thanks, I'm glad I didn't throw it away either! :p
Thanks so much! :D

7chronicles
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Lion's Emblem » Oct 19, 2011 9:40 pm

A great portrait (can we call it that? :) ) of Tash, 7chronicles. I'm only sorry that didn't see this piece sooner.

The detail is awesome. Kudos to you for having the patience to evenly darken the background by hand. The different stroke directions used works really well (I'm not sure if it was intentional or not), it adds another quality aspect to the piece over a plain BG. Anyway, let me get back on the subject of detailing. I especially like the linework you have done throughout his feathers- there's a nice depth given by the change of values. Also, in the detail on the armor, I really like the use of linework you have used to create the effect of bone and muscle structure underneath. Very well done.

As for design, the hard edges and spikes work well as a tie-in to Tash's character. This is very effective in the tiny spikes on his beak, his neck feathers, and the shoulder portion of his armor (there's probably a technical name for what that piece is called, but I hope you know what I'm talking about). I also really like the design parallels you have done between Tash's neck feathers matching the pattern in his shoulder armor. The Aztec design to the armor, I'm not sure why, seems to work really well.

As for the creepiness factor, personally, I believe the detailing in his armor has that qulaity to it. To me, the outlining of ribs and almost sickly muscle gives the sense that Tash is always longing for something or someone to feast of off. That would also tie into the smell of death he has around him and how he destoys everything in his path (as is evident in The Last Battle ). Not to mention this with the pairing of his gangly arms. I realize that this piece is finished, but to add to the creepy factor, perhaps exaggerating his beak and tongue would help (with widening of the jaw). Also, slanting the eye more for a look of a bird of prey (or making the pupil smaller?). This might give more of an angry look to Tash to make him more threatening.

Nice work on this one 7chronicles :ymapplause: . I am really glad that you did indeed decide to finish it :) .
Sig by Dernhelm_of_Rohan
NWsis to eves_daughter & ForeverFan
Lion's Emblem
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby 7chronicles » Oct 20, 2011 1:49 am

@Lion's Emblem: Thank you so much! :D
Yes you can call it that. :)
I'm so happy you like the background! I'm happy I ended up deciding to do a black background instead of white. :)
The feathers were a pain, so I'm happy they added to the drawing!
I Loved doing his armor! Glad you like it!
I know what you mean, I can't think of the name either. :p
I like that idea of widening his mouth and fixing the eye, I'll keep that in mind when I decided to do another drawing of Tash! :)
Thanks! I'm glad I finished as well!
I'm so glad you managed to take a look at my drawing, I always really appreciate your comments and criticism! It' s very helpful! Thank You so much! :)

7chronicles
NarniaWeb Guru

Next