This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Got Questions? Find Answers!

Post your Narnia-inspired pictures or poems here.

Moderators: wild rose, SnowAngel

Got Questions? Find Answers!

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Aug 18, 2009 7:49 pm

Welcome to the general Fan Art/Graphics FAQ thread! Since general inquiry/question threads are not allowed in the Fan Art forum, this is where you can post any questions you have relating to Narnian Fan Art, or graphics in general

If your question relates to uploading images, placing images in your avatar/signature or creating thumbnails, please refer to this thread for answers first before posting here.

No question is too simple or silly to ask. There are many, many people who will be able to help. :)

Enjoy! :)
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Re: Got Questions? Find Answers!

Postby ValiantArcher » Sep 04, 2009 1:27 pm

Hullo! :) I have a pretty simple question, I believe, but something easy to start off with might be the way to go. ;) How does one use brushes on GIMP? :-\ I've fiddled around before, but never quite figured out the trick. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :D
Some days you battle yourself and other monsters.
Some days you just make soup.
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby Wunderkind_Lucy » Sep 04, 2009 7:59 pm

Does anyone know if PS Elements 7 has channel mixer, color balance, and selective coloring?

Thanks.

~Wunder
Wunderkind_Lucy
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby TheChronicler » Sep 04, 2009 9:59 pm

@ValiantArcher: To add brushes to GIMP, go to your program file for GIMP and go under the brushes folder. And then you can cut and paste your brushes into it and they'll show up in your brushes dialog when you use GIMP. If you have it open when you cut and paste the files, just push the refresh button in the brushes dialog and it will load them. I think your brush files must all be .gbr for them to work on GIMP. At least all mine are. And then you can paint, erase, etc. with them. Hope this answers your question :)
Av/Sig:Me
TheChronicler
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby ValiantArcher » Sep 05, 2009 4:37 pm

Thanks, TheChronicler, that information's sure to be extremely useful to me. :) But I'm afraid that wasn't quite what I was asking. :ymblushing: I probably didn't make myself very clear before, but I'll try it again and see if it makes more sense this time. :ymblushing: I was wondering how to actually use brushes. Say, like these brushes here that Gymmie uploaded. Once I downloaded them, how would I use them? I obviously couldn't just lay them over or under the base picture I was using, but how would I go about getting them to work? I hope this makes more sense this time. :ymblushing: Thanks again! :D

Edit: Sorry, I tried to go and follow your instructions for saving a brush, but couldn't quite figure it out. :ymblushing: I went into the program file, but couldn't find the brush folder. I found a couple of Font folders, but no brush folders. Where exactly is it? :ymblushing:
And I linked to Gymmie's post, but now I'm not even sure if that's a brush. Is it? :ymblushing:
Thanks so much for the help! :D
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby Gymfan15 » Sep 05, 2009 5:48 pm

Technically, the brushes I posted aren't brushes in the strictest sense. To be precise, a brush is something that's in a specific program format (.abr for Photoshop. .gbr for GIMP, etc.) that, once loaded into the program, will show up and can be used just like you use a paintbrush.

I'm not familiar with GIMP, but I know that in Photoshop, I'd take the brush/frame I posted and either make it a brush inside Photoshop (I think all the black would become transparent when I convert it; I'll have to check) or I would paste the image into my avatar file and then do something to make all the white or black disappear. Sorry that is so horribly random. :ymblush: Look in GIMP and see if there is a "Save as Brush" or "Make Brush" option anywhere in your File or Edit drop-downs.

I actually have a tutorial I made on how to make brushes that I never uploaded to my site. ;)) Guess now would be a good time to dust it off and update it and FINALLY get it up after what, four years? ;))
Gymfan15
Moderator Emeritus
Giver of Prestigious NarniaWeb Taglines™

Postby flambeau » Sep 05, 2009 7:14 pm

Valia wrote:And I linked to Gymmie's post, but now I'm not even sure if that's a brush. Is it?

Technically, those are textures, not brushes (but it's a minor detail. I've seen them called brushes before.).
To use those (or any textures), simply open them in the image that you're working on and set them to a layer mode (you can find that in the layers dialog).
Those specific ones that you linked to would probably work best on either Multiply or Screen.

I hope this helps a little bit! :) Let me know if it wasn't clear enough!

--- flambeau
"It. Doesn't. Have. To. Match."

President of the Manalive Conspiracy
Founder of Team Hoodie
Icon by me
flambeau
Moderator Emeritus
A Concerned Third Party

Postby Erucenindë » Sep 05, 2009 9:38 pm

Question: Does anyone know a good free program that will screen caputure off videos? Thanks. :)
My Graphics Site
Council of Elrond - Best LOTR forum
Aliit ori'shya tal'din. ~ Mandolorian Proverb
Auta i lóme; Aurë entuluva. ~ Quenya
Erucenindë
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Wunderkind_Lucy » Sep 06, 2009 4:16 am

I've heard GOM player and VLC player are both good.

~Wunder
Wunderkind_Lucy
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Erucenindë » Sep 06, 2009 11:48 am

Thank you very much Wunderkind. :) I am using VLC player and I like it very much! :D
My Graphics Site
Council of Elrond - Best LOTR forum
Aliit ori'shya tal'din. ~ Mandolorian Proverb
Auta i lóme; Aurë entuluva. ~ Quenya
Erucenindë
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby ValiantArcher » Sep 06, 2009 4:05 pm

Thanks, Gymmie. That kind of makes sense. ;)) And you half-walked me through some stuff the other day, so thanks again. :) And I would like to see the tutorial when you get it finished, thanks. :)

Flam, thanks for the help! I think I semi-understood it and I also went back and looked at some of the old threads on the old NW and I think that helped explain things, too. :) So, what exactly are brushes, then? :ymblushing: Thanks again! :D
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby TheChronicler » Sep 06, 2009 4:16 pm

@ValiantArcher: Sorry that wasn't quite it :ymblushing: I'll try and answer your questions...
ValiantArcher wrote:I was wondering how to actually use brushes.
When I use brushes, I make a new transparent layer and then paint using the brush on the transparent layer. Then you can move it around on the graphic you're making and change it's mode so that you can play with its effect on the graphic. Does that make sense?

ValiantArcher wrote:I tried to go and follow your instructions for saving a brush, but couldn't quite figure it out. I went into the program file, but couldn't find the brush folder.

Hmm... I might have told you to look in the wrong place. My GIMP folder is right at the top of my User's folder labeled as .gimp-2.4 and the brushes folder is right inside at the top. So if you have a folder in some place similiar, try looking in there. Oh and just found this, if you go to the main window of GIMP and go under Preferences, click on Folders at the bottom and then Brushes, and it should tell you where the brush folders are. And then you can click to view the folder.

ValiantArcher wrote:So, what exactly are brushes, then?

A brush is basically like a texture, except that you can change its color, etc.

Hope this helps and makes more sense.. be sure to tell me if it doesn't :)
Av/Sig:Me
TheChronicler
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby ValiantArcher » Sep 12, 2009 4:00 pm

Thanks so much for the information, TheChronicler! :D It does make a lot of sense. Thanks awfully for the help! :)
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby Palagrin » Sep 13, 2009 1:51 am

Does anyone know where you can get a rendered Narnia logo?
Thirst for Fiction- Calling all Readers!
Palagrin
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Aurora » Sep 15, 2009 9:08 am

Palagrin wrote:Does anyone know where you can get a rendered Narnia logo?

What do you mean by rendered? :-\
Aurora
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Palagrin » Sep 15, 2009 9:31 am

As in, without the background. So just the logo on an transparent background.
Thirst for Fiction- Calling all Readers!
Palagrin
NarniaWeb Regular

Next