This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Got Questions? Find Answers!

Post your Narnia-inspired pictures or poems here.

Moderators: wild rose, SnowAngel

Re: Got Questions? Find Answers!

Postby wolfloversk » Apr 06, 2011 7:39 am

Princess Anna wrote:Ok, this is going to sound dumb... especially coming from a moderator of the FA section. But:

Where on earth is everyone getting all those great VDT pictures?! :-o
I've been able to find some, but whenever I've looked, my choices have been limited. I assumed I'd have to wait til getting the dvd... but then I see you all having such lovely graphics, using pics I've NEVER seen before!! So, how do you do it?! Would you show some mercy on me, and link me to them? I'd be ever so grateful. Thanks!!

You don't sound dumb! You know how hard it is to surf the internet for me! Oi...

Anyway here's a link (which I actually saved this time) to homeofthenutty's Narnia pg. You'll find the link to the VDT photos at the top :)

http://www.homeofthenutty.com/movies/sc ... .php?cat=5

Now I have a question...

Is it possible to thumbnail a normal image of thre internet? And if so how do I do it?
Like if I wanted to thumbnail this image for example:
http://www.fws.gov/home/feature/2007/gr ... onwolf.jpg
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby Milana » Apr 06, 2011 9:31 am

wolfloversk, what I do is save the thumbnail through which I found the picture (assuming it wasn't just a link. if it was you can save the picture and make it smaller). then I upload it and place the thumbnail image in the img tags and surround that with URL tags for the picture you've thumbnailed. if there's an easier way I'd be glad to hear of it.
my graphics: http://milanaop.deviantart.com/
Milana
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Narnian_Archer » Apr 06, 2011 10:55 pm

MountainFireflower
I used Macromedia Fireworks a while ago, until we got a new computer. I really liked it in the time that I did have it. It's kind of an obscure program - I think you're the first I've met that actually has it. :p

Yahooooooooooooooooo!!! Someone else who knows this program!!!
Thanks for answering. I'll try what you said when I'm next making graphics! If I have any questions, now I know who to turn to!! Thank Thank Thank you!!! :) :) :)
sig by Sheroo of Stormness Head
Member of the Dragon club. PM Narnia Girl or FFJ to join.
RL sibling to De_De and wild rose
Narnian_Archer
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby wolfloversk » Apr 07, 2011 10:00 am

Can anyone explain how to make a zip folder... like to save textures in?
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby Wunderkind_Lucy » Apr 07, 2011 11:22 am

If you have a Windows computer, you just right click on your folder, go to Send to then zipped or compressed folder. That should zip your folder.

Hope that helps!

~Wunder
Wunderkind_Lucy
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Shastafan » Apr 20, 2011 8:28 pm

I've been using Photoshop for some time now, but there's still something that I haven't figured out: How do I download fonts, textures, and other stuff to PS? I have some great fonts and textures that I downloaded onto Gimp, but I can't figure out how to transfer them over! Can someone help me? Thank you! :)
Shastafan
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Wunderkind_Lucy » Apr 21, 2011 11:13 am

Actually, you don't have to download fonts to Photoshop. If you download them to your computer and install them to your computer, Photoshop should automatically update.

If you're talking about brushes, I'm afraid that GIMP brushes won't work in Photoshop. You'll have to find .abr files (that's Photoshop's file type for brushes).

I'm not sure what you mean by textures. I usually just open the texture in Photoshop, then I copy and paste them into my graphic.

Hope this helps!

~Wunder
Wunderkind_Lucy
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Ricasso » Apr 28, 2011 8:27 pm

SnowAngel wrote:I need some help, I got GIMP recently and want to add some fonts. I looked at the GIMP website and followed their instuctions, but I couldn't find "~/.gimp-2.6/fonts". Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

The tilde ("~") refers to your "home directory," ie. C:\Users\YourName. Once you've found your home directory, the .gimp-2.6 folder should be lurking inside it, probably near the top of the list.

PS -- If you unzip your fonts into Gimp's font folder, only Gimp will be able to use them. Personally, I like this, as it keeps my art fonts separate from the regular system fonts.

Cheers,
Ricasso

View my Prince Caspian Photo Montage. Relive the experience!
Ricasso
NarniaWeb Regular

Re: Non-Narnian Graphics: Second Round

Postby Gods Girl » Jun 08, 2011 4:35 pm

Hi everyone,
I was using a couple of the graphics ya'll have made before on a different forum, and a friend of mine says that you all are really really good at making graphics, and wondered if I could ask which programs you all use? Thanks so much! :) She's really into making graphics, so...I know she'd love to hear what you guys use, because she thinks that you guys are seriously awesome at making them ;) Which, of course, you all are! :ymapplause:

-Gigi
Proud Baptist Christian and homeschooler!
Real life sister to Narnia Girl (love you sis!)
RL friends with FrecklefaceJill :)
Avie by campgirl!
Gods Girl
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby flambeau » Jun 09, 2011 3:20 pm

GG, the most common graphic making programs used are Photoshop and Gimp. Photoshop is great, but it's expensive. Gimp is what I use, and so I'm all for it; it's easy to use once you get the hang of it, it's got nearly all of the same features as PS, and best of all it's free. It's available for download at gimp.org.

I hope that helps your friend some. :)

--- flambeau
"It. Doesn't. Have. To. Match."

President of the Manalive Conspiracy
Founder of Team Hoodie
Icon by me
flambeau
Moderator Emeritus
A Concerned Third Party

Postby Wunderkind_Lucy » Jun 12, 2011 1:53 pm

Gigi,

Some people also use Paint Shop Pro which is much cheaper than Photoshop, but obviously not free like GIMP. There are numerous other programs that one can use, but I have found that Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, and GIMP are the best programs to use if one really wants to get into graphics making. GIMP is probably the best way to start, and then upon getting a little advanced, upgrading to Paint Shop Pro and Photoshop might be necessary. I honestly prefer Paint Shop Pro rather than GIMP because of the options, but GIMP is a great way to get started.

Hope that helps!

~Wunder
Wunderkind_Lucy
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby outlier » Jun 12, 2011 10:16 pm

GG- I've been using powepoint, paint, and microsoft picture manager... which explains the quality of my graphics ;)) But I should be getting GIMP soon when I get a new computer.... Oh, hey I just realized that the computer I used for graphics though has a picture program called 'Picasa' anyone ever use it?
Signature by Tarkheena, Avatar by Ithilwen
Sneaky Ninja of the Lurkers Club
outlier
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Milana » Jun 13, 2011 1:53 am

outlier, I've used Picasa to edit pictures when I was using paint to do graphics. It can do simple stuff like making a picture black and white (or any other color really), sharpening, fixing the color balance-that kind of stuff. the program is from google.
my graphics: http://milanaop.deviantart.com/
Milana
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby outlier » Jun 15, 2011 11:13 pm

Thanks Milana, I've just been fooling around with the program so far and it seems ok... mainly I've just been touching up stuff and whatnot
Signature by Tarkheena, Avatar by Ithilwen
Sneaky Ninja of the Lurkers Club
outlier
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby wolfloversk » Jun 27, 2011 12:45 pm

Mostly I use Gimp, but there are times when Paint and Microsoft word ('07 I think) come in handy. Like If you want to make a frame or a 3d effect. I think I have Picasa but I never use it.
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Re: Non-Narnian Graphics: Second Round

Postby Aurora » Jun 30, 2011 5:05 am

Gods Girl wrote:Hi everyone,
I was using a couple of the graphics ya'll have made before on a different forum, and a friend of mine says that you all are really really good at making graphics, and wondered if I could ask which programs you all use? Thanks so much! :) She's really into making graphics, so...I know she'd love to hear what you guys use, because she thinks that you guys are seriously awesome at making them ;) Which, of course, you all are! :ymapplause:

-Gigi

Personally I use a little bit of GIMP and Photoshop Elements 5.0 - GIMP is completely free but Photoshop Elements 5.0 does come free with some new laptops. :D
Aurora
NarniaWeb Fanatic

PreviousNext