This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Got Questions? Find Answers!

Post your Narnia-inspired pictures or poems here.

Moderators: wild rose, SnowAngel

Re: Got Questions? Find Answers!

Postby iamgeorgiestwin » Sep 29, 2010 3:42 pm

Ok thanks for the help. I didnt think there was anything i could really do anyway. I just wanted to be sure.
iHeart Georgie!Image
sig: Awel Prince avy: me!
member of The Missing club! PM me to join!
iamgeorgiestwin
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Adeona » Sep 30, 2010 5:47 pm

I'm trying to stretch myself and grow as a graphics artist, do you all have any suggestions on how to do this?
Maybe you remember something that's been a help to you?
Thank you!
RL Sibs: Aviator, Lizzle, Narniancricket, DancingPrincesses, Andriel
Adeona
NarniaWeb Guru
Thursday's Wayfaring Child

Postby iamgeorgiestwin » Oct 01, 2010 3:44 pm

Does anyone know where i can find those new pics of georgie like my sig? i cant find them!! :-o X(

okay so never mind about that i found them so its all good. but i have a different question. in the tutorials they mention frequently about filling a layer with like #ffffff or something like that. (this is on GIMP by the way) i dont how to do that or what that even means. can anyone help?? ;)
iHeart Georgie!Image
iamgeorgiestwin
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Aurora » Oct 21, 2010 9:08 am

Adeona wrote:I'm trying to stretch myself and grow as a graphics artist, do you all have any suggestions on how to do this?
Maybe you remember something that's been a help to you?
Thank you!

I find looking at other people's artwork tends to give me some inspiration and ideas on what my next icon will look like. Also, trying out their tutorials or just experimenting in GIMP/ your graphics program. Growing as a graphics artist takes time so experiment and try different things out and you will learn and definitely become a better graphics artist.

iamgeorgiestwin wrote:okay so never mind about that i found them so its all good. but i have a different question. in the tutorials they mention frequently about filling a layer with like #ffffff or something like that. (this is on GIMP by the way) i dont how to do that or what that even means. can anyone help?? ;)

It means colouring in a blank white layer with colour. So for example, if you have a simple 100x100 picture, you would need to make a new layer (usually it's Ctrl N) and you should get some options, such as transparency/white/black etc. I normally choose transparency but it's up to you. Then click on the bucket icon, choose which you would like (say #ffffff) and click on the icon and it should be filled with the chosen colour. You will then need to change the layer from 'Normal' to possibly 'screen' depending on the picture.

Hope this helps. :D
Aurora
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Wunderkind_Lucy » Oct 21, 2010 12:54 pm

iamgeorgiestwin wrote:okay so never mind about that i found them so its all good. but i have a different question. in the tutorials they mention frequently about filling a layer with like #ffffff or something like that. (this is on GIMP by the way) i dont how to do that or what that even means. can anyone help??

I tend to understand better with images, so this is for you (and others who are visual like me).

Okay, I'm starting with this image of Georgie.

The tutorial may say "add a layer of ffffff" (ffffff is white) but in my case I'm going to use the example of "add a layer of 05112f and set it to screen at 49% opacity."

Now let's add a new layer. Go to Layer>New Layer.

Now another box should pop up. Make sure that transparent is selected. Click "ok."

After you do that, this is what your layers palette should look like.

Now go to your toolbox. Find the button with a paint bucket on it and click on it.

Now find the two squares overlapping each other and double click on the top square.

This box should pop up. This is how you choose different colors.

To get whatever color the tutorial asks for, type in your number or number/letter combination in the white box next to "html notation." So I typed in "05112f" and pressed enter. You can see that this is a dark blue color

Then click "ok." Take the bucket and go over your image. Then right click. The image should be all blue now.

Go to your layers palette. Make sure your new layer (blue) is selected. See where it says mode? There is a drop-down box. Select whatever mode the tutorial asks for. In my case, it is screen. It also said to set it to 49% opacity. So go to the opacity and move the button until it says 49.0 or you can just type it in. Voila!

I hope that's clear enough for you. Let me know if you have any questions.

~Wunder
Wunderkind_Lucy
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby iamgeorgiestwin » Oct 22, 2010 12:01 pm

thank you very much both of you! that helped a ton!
iHeart Georgie!Image
iamgeorgiestwin
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Elanor » Oct 22, 2010 4:31 pm

I have absolutely no idea how to use Gimp, but I installed it because I'd really enjoy making graphics. Could I have some very basic help, anyone?
I know how to get the image up, how to crop it, but not really anything else . .
NW sisters Lyn, Lia, and Rose
RL sister Destined_to_Reign
Member of the Tenth Avenue North and Pixar Club
Dubbed The Ally Of Epic Awesomeness by Libby
Elanor
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby ValiantArcher » Oct 23, 2010 5:10 pm

Hey, Elanor! :) My first suggestion would be to just go through and read some of the tutorials posted in the tutorial thread and the questions answered in here---there are a LOT of great graphic makers who have posted really helpful tutorials in here and you can learn a lot just by reading some and trying them out (I know I did ;))).
My second suggestion would be to just start fiddling around with some of the features on Gimp. I've gotten a better idea of what things do because of playing around with them, but I'll still fiddle around a lot, just trying to see what looks best with different layers and such. Don't be afraid to just try every feature on one layer or something---if worse comes to worse, there's the undo button. ;)
Thirdly, don't be afraid to ask questions if a specific feature or tool has you stumped. Chances are, someone here knows how to use it (if not, it's probably not worth using ;) ), and they'd be more than happy to tell you how it works. :)

That all said, I went through and made a kind-of-tutorial with a few of the basic things I do on some of my graphics, trying to be pretty thorough. Hopefully that will give you some reference points and a place to start from. Please let me know if you have any questions or are confused by something---I've never written a tutorial before, so hopefully it's relatively easy to get through. ;))

Have fun learning to work with graphics! :D
Some days you battle yourself and other monsters.
Some days you just make soup.
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby The Pendragon » Nov 01, 2010 8:29 pm

So, I have pretty much figured out all of the Gimp stuff that you guys say in your tutorials excpet for the "Layer Masks". What are they & what do they do? How do you use them?what is a layer mask? Thank you! :D
The Pendragon
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Shastafan » Nov 05, 2010 6:25 pm

I'm new to gimp, and I have a question. When I try using the Intell Scissors to cut something out, it won't allow me to go as high as my picture or as low. How do I fix that? :-\
Shastafan
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Katana » Nov 10, 2010 7:55 pm

I use photobucket, how do i overlay images so you can see both??

please PM me!!! thanks :)
Im not inactive just very very busy
-Katana, Member of the Midnight Society, Weapons afficionado of the castle of Ivory&Gold, esteemed owner of a flying pickle
Katana
NarniaWeb Nut

Location: Sitting on a sunny windowsill in the back hallway reading a book

Postby Ithilwen » Nov 29, 2010 12:58 am

Shastafan wrote:I'm new to gimp, and I have a question. When I try using the Intell Scissors to cut something out, it won't allow me to go as high as my picture or as low. How do I fix that? :-\

It does the same with me. :( I prefer using the eraser. It's much better if your trying to have the top picture mixed in with a picture below it. If that's what you're trying to do. If not, tell me what you are trying to do, and I can probably tell you a better way. (I never use scissors at all. There's usually a better way of doing whatever a scissors would normally do) :)

~Riella
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby MrsHolmes » Dec 03, 2010 10:30 am

Hey there!

I have Gimp 2.6, and I was wondering if there's a way to give an image a shattering effect. Any ideas? Thanks! :D

~Holmes

*Edit*

Oh, and you know how in some graphics people will put really tiny words, like lyrics and such? How do you do that? :)

Awesome-as sig by Ithilwen, sweet-as avi by DamselJillPole. Thanks you two! *hugs*
MrsHolmes
NarniaWeb Nut

Location: World of Sherlock Holmes, solving mysteries with E+J (Watson) and DamselJillPole (Adler)

Postby Beginte » Dec 03, 2010 2:32 pm

MrsHolmes, I have an answer to your *Edit*. Those tiny words are usually textures which are blended in various modes (screen, multiply, burn, etc.) to the graphic you're making. If you're interested, I can PM you a few of those and make a tut illustrating an example of using one of them :)
I've seen the movie 9 times!!! (PC)
I've seen the movie 7 times!!! (VoDT) And loved it!
Proud member of the C+S club
Av & sig by me
Beginte
NarniaWeb Guru

Where to get pictures

Postby dryad_daughter7 » Dec 03, 2010 2:38 pm

I don't know where to get any pictures :-\ so if you guys have any good pictures or any good websites and could show me where they are that would be great!! :D :D

Thanks!
~Dryad Daughter

sig by Caspian XI

Avatar by:therinca Sig by:Caspian XI
"And I will fear no evil for my GOD is with me."
dryad_daughter7
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Beginte » Dec 03, 2010 3:23 pm

Well, for Narnia pics, I recommend SpareOom.net: http://www.spareoom.net/gallery/ As for pics of the actors, just look for their galleries on the internet, type their names and the keyword 'gallery' or 'photos' in Google and the galleries pop out in top results :)
I've seen the movie 9 times!!! (PC)
I've seen the movie 7 times!!! (VoDT) And loved it!
Proud member of the C+S club
Av & sig by me
Beginte
NarniaWeb Guru

PreviousNext