This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The 2010 Winter Olympics!

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

The 2010 Winter Olympics!

Postby narnialover4 » Feb 13, 2010 12:34 pm

I'm so excited for the Olympics!! I watched the Opening Ceremony last night!
"Are you sure you're eighteen?"
"Why? Do I look older?"
narnialover4
NarniaWeb Junkie

Re: The shot is up...and its good! General Sports Discussion

Postby qwertykate88 » Feb 13, 2010 2:06 pm

Jeremy Abbott is the other figure skater for the Men's USA team. :)

I usually just follow the Women's competition but after watching a handful of routines from Worlds and U.S. Nationals this year, I'm definitely paying close attention to the Men's competition. All three of them have been amazing and it seems that Evan Lysacek has really made quite a name for himself.

As for the Women's USA team, watch for Rachael Flatt and Mirai Nagasu. ;)

Best of luck to all the Olympic teams! :ymparty:
qwertykate88
Moderator Emeritus
Tiny Blonde One

Postby stargazer » Feb 13, 2010 3:01 pm

I enjoyed watching the opening ceremonies this afternoon (I was away last evening and recorded them). I thought the whales were pretty cool, and I always enjoy watching the parade of nations as the athletes enter the arena.

And seeing the spectacular scenery around Vancouver made me want to visit it again! It'll likely be a few years before that can happen, however.

The sports I like to watch most in the Winter Olympics include ice hockey, figureskating, and alpine skiing.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby ForeverFan » Feb 13, 2010 5:30 pm

It's hard to believe the Olympics are here once again, especially these ones! :) Let's just say, being Canadian, I've been waiting for them for a long time. I wasn't too impressed with the Opening Ceremonies last night (for various other reasons that I shall not go into here), but thankfully the ceremonies don't really effect the rest of the Games, right? :)

I'm most looking forward to the ice hockey- men's and women's, and the upcoming Team Canada games. :) I watched the Swiss-Swedish game this afternoon and was quite impressed at the Swiss team's play, they were pretty good! :) Alas they lost 3-0, but they played well up to the end.

I guess I'll be watching the figure skating, speed skating, and perhaps whatever else I catch as the days go by, but since my family are all huge hockey fans, the hockey is what really attracts us. :) Anyways! I should be off to catch the Ladies' Moguls with Canadian Jenn Heil. I remember when she won gold in Turin, so I hope she can do it again. :)
[center]Dear days of old, with the faces in the firelight,
Kind folks of old, you come again no more.
(Robert Louis Stevenson)
ForeverFan
NarniaWeb Zealot
Keeper of Thursdays (BC), Retired

Postby Alyosha » Feb 13, 2010 7:24 pm

I'm hoping to go into Vancouver sometime soon if I can get the right day off work, but I must admit that the Vancouver Art Gallery's free admission during the Olympics is a bigger draw for me than the sports are ymwhisle

Anyhow, cheering for Canada because that's the Default Setting and for other random smaller countries because that's always fun :P I'm looking forward to the figure skating most of all, though I have no idea who's competing even... *runs off to look it up*
signature by Starsy
Alyosha
Moderator Emeritus

Postby TheGeneral » Feb 13, 2010 9:05 pm

stargazer wrote: I thought the whales were pretty cool, and I always enjoy watching the parade of nations as the athletes enter the arena.

Exactly my opinion ;) , that was pretty cool.
Sure is sad about Nodar Kumaritashvili... luge is insane. :|
I'm a big Apolo Ohno fan (just got his 6 metal!), and Bode Miller (despite what some people think about him).
TheGeneral
NarniaWeb Junkie

Re: The 2010 Winter Olympics!

Postby fantasia » Feb 14, 2010 11:45 am

The Olympics definitely deserves its own thread apart from General Sports, so I split off some posts from that thread. ;)

So far the highlights for me have been the whales in the opening ceremony, the fiddle/tap dancing in the opening ceremony, Ohno and Celski getting silver and bronze metals last night after the Koreans took each other out, and Hannah Kearney getting the first USA gold metal. :D

But I'm all over the figure skating which starts tonight. Can't wait!!! :D :D :D
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby wolfloversk » Feb 14, 2010 12:02 pm

The opening ceramony was amazing... unfortunately I fell asleep before they lit the torch... :(( I'm rooting for team's USA (my homeland), Canada (cause they're hosting it), and Georgia.
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby narnian_at_heart » Feb 14, 2010 12:29 pm

I love watching the Olympics but rarely get to see them because we don't have a TV. I like the figure skating and pairs skating best. I'll probably just watch videos of that on youtube. :p
narnian_at_heart
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby greenleaf23 » Feb 14, 2010 12:41 pm

Fanny wrote:I'm most looking forward to the ice hockey- men's and women's, and the upcoming Team Canada games. :) I watched the Swiss-Swedish game this afternoon and was quite impressed at the Swiss team's play, they were pretty good! :) Alas they lost 3-0, but they played well up to the end.

I only got to watch a little of that game, but it was great! I never really followed hockey, but it was a lot of fun to watch, and I'll definitely keep watching if it's still on :)

Fantasia_kitty wrote:Ohno and Celski getting silver and bronze metals last night after the Koreans took each other out, and Hannah Kearney getting the first USA gold metal. :D

That was amazing, as were the two races Ohno came up from last place and won. I was a little worried in the semis, but he made an amazing move with 2 or 3 laps left and went from near last to first, and then won by almost a quarter lap I think they said. The skiing was fantastic too, I was really glad that Hannah Kearney won :ymapplause:

I can't wait for the snowboarding competitions, they've always been my favorite :D
Avi by Visionsbeyond/Awesome sig by Flambeau! NW Sis:Jay
LiveJournal (not really too terribly empty anymore :P)
Team Hoodie!!
greenleaf23
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby daughter of the King » Feb 14, 2010 2:22 pm

Unfortunately, I was out when the opening ceremony began, but I did get home in time to see the whales. I thought everything I saw in the opening ceremony was cool.

I am cheering for USA of course, but most of the time I just cheer for individuals no matter what their country is if I like them. One of my favorite skaters last winter Olympics was from Georgia, she was so tiny and fun to watch.
I shall be watching the figure skating, the snowboarding, and anything else that's on when I'm home.

fantasia_kitty wrote:ut I'm all over the figure skating which starts tonight. Can't wait!!! :D :D :D

Ditto! :D
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal
daughter of the King
Princess Dot

Postby Shadowlander » Feb 14, 2010 2:27 pm

I watched the Canadian women's hockey team demolish (literally) the Slovakian team...it was something like 19-0. It looked....painful.

Is the Jamaican bobsled team going to be there this year? I keep crossing my fingers each time the winter Olympics show up that they will be, but they've been a no show for the past several. :( I always pull for em'!
Kennel Keeper of Fenris Ulf

Shadowlander
Moderator Emeritus
This Space For Rent

Postby ForeverFan » Feb 14, 2010 2:44 pm

Shadowlander: From what I heard the other day the Jamaicans failed to qualify in the Bobsled event. :( It would have been very neat to see them!

I was unable to watch the game between Canada and Slovakia since we don't get that TV channel, but let's just say that despite womens' hockey being one of my favourite events, and Team Canada naturally my favourite team, I was not impressed or happy about that score. :| I wasn't happy when they beat Team Italy with such large scores (16-0 I think in the first game, the second was about the same) way back in 2006 and I'm really sad that they did it again. It's kind of hard to describe, I guess, but to me it really doesn't feel like it's in the true spirit of the Games to win by such a score.... yes, they have to keep in shape for the tougher opponents, and they are trained to play at 100%, but... I know Team Canada wasn't being malicious, but still. Where is honour and decency? Anyways. I'll stop here before I run on. I will still be cheering for Team Canada of course, but I can't say that I'm too impressed with them in last night's game.

Greenleaf wrote:I never really followed hockey, but it was a lot of fun to watch, and I'll definitely keep watching if it's still on :)

I hope you enjoy it! :D It is one of my favourite events to watch, and I think that I'm really going to enjoy watching the teams that aren't the natural shoe-ins for medals (you know, Canada, U.S. & Sweden). :)
[center]Dear days of old, with the faces in the firelight,
Kind folks of old, you come again no more.
(Robert Louis Stevenson)
ForeverFan
NarniaWeb Zealot
Keeper of Thursdays (BC), Retired

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Feb 14, 2010 2:55 pm

a big cheer to all the teams, but the biggest cheer to the USA team!

I can't wait for the figure skating!
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby qwertykate88 » Feb 14, 2010 3:18 pm

Short track was so awesome to watch. Apolo Ohno's run especially (since just about everyone here was rooting for him). Finals were epic, in such a short amount of time too. Just a few seconds of sliding to make history. ;))

fantasia_kitty wrote:I'm all over the figure skating which starts tonight. Can't wait!!! :D :D :D

Pairs short programs tonight!! :-bd

USA looks to be in the first two groups of skaters on the start list so maybe we won't have to stay up so-o-o late to see them. :P

Caydee Denney is only sixteen years old, which I found to be pretty impressive since most of the other pairs have been skating together longer than she's been alive. ;)) I'm also interested in watching China's Shen and Zhao skate too.

Anyone who missed (or is more interested in just the highlights of) certain events might enjoy browsing NBC's Olympic website. I've been watching most of the action there when I'm not able too during the "prime time" events. :)
qwertykate88
Moderator Emeritus
Tiny Blonde One

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Feb 14, 2010 3:26 pm

^^ short track was awesome yesterday!!!!! Apolo Ohno is amazing!
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Next