This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The thread for people who have Green Thumbs (Gardening)

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: The thread for people who have Green Thumbs (Gardening)

Postby fantasia » Jul 29, 2013 7:08 am

Last Thursday I booted myself outside to pick as many veggies as I possibly could before the rain came. (Excess water will burst tomatoes if they're left on the vine.) Apparently I was not paying close attention to how many ripe tomatoes and peppers I had out there... holy moly. I made a mistake not taking a picture of everything I brought in, because I think it was a new record for my backyard garden. It certainly was in terms of peppers. I had more than I knew what to do with.

In a panic, I posted a "come by and get free tomatoes and peppers" plea on FB because I knew there was NO. WAY. I would get them all used up before they'd go bad, and I had five takers. :) Between that and the two batches of salsa I made yesterday, I still have a table full of tomatoes and peppers. :)) But the piles are much smaller and much more manageable. ;) There is a possibility I might get them used up before they go bad.

Not to complain at all about all of this. ;)) I'm just so thrilled to actually be getting some mild peppers this year. The past two years it's been so hot and dry that I really haven't had much luck, but this year I am. :)

Oh, and I am happy to report this year my jalapenos are HOT!! #:-s Just about roasted myself trying one. ;)) (They'd been really mild the past few years I've tried them.)
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby johobbit » Jul 29, 2013 12:23 pm

fk wrote:All peppers start off green and then change colors as they ripen. Even green peppers will turn red if left on the plant too long.

Good to know, although my supposedly red peppers have not begun to turn red yet; they're just hanging from the plant, enjoying life, as green as all get out. ;)) And that's been a couple of weeks already. /:) Still wondering if this plant might have been "incorrectly labeled". ;))

fantasia, your garden sounds amazing! What wonderful produce you are enjoying. B-) :D

In other news, our beans are in full swing now, both yellow and green (I used some in a casserole for tonight, mmmm); our peas have started producing in a big way, which we're munching right off the plant to our hearts' content; the grape and cherry tomato plants have dozens of green balls on them ... at this point a few turn red every day, but I know they will reach the point where we can hardly keep up with the ripe ones. Ooooh, so tasty! The corn cobs are growing nicely with their silk beginning to turn a maroon colour. Cucs from the garden are regular fare now, yum! Love when the harvest begins, and it should be going for weeks yet!

Perennials and annuals are all doing well, so bright and cheery, thanks to the abundance of rain we have received this summer. :D

Bella and DiGs, how doth your gardens grow? ;))
johobbit

Postby stargazer » Jul 29, 2013 12:49 pm

My parents live in an apartment and are no longer able to garden, so during my visit this weekend we settled for a visit to the local farmers' market. Such a nice variety of produce this year! The cucumbers and sweet corn are especially tasty.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby johobbit » Jul 29, 2013 1:16 pm

Ahhh, love local farmers' markets! I go to ours with my list ... then usually end up spending more than I mean to. :P How can anyone resist that awesome local produce? :D

I've been thinking when my love of gardening began. Certainly, when I was growing up, my parents always had a large garden, which we kids would tend and weed and harvest, but it was not until I had my own place that I really fell in love with seeds and tiny plants and good, clean earth, and, yes, even weeding. ;)) When my children were young, it was great for them to learn to plant and care for a garden, but now that they have grown and are not around home as much, I am reveling in my own time there, and am starting to delve into areas I have not before this, such as perennials. Just being outside and working with the plants in the rich earth is so revitalizing and rewarding.

Something I have begun is to put into the gardens any plant I am given. I wait for it to nearly expire indoors, then place it in that brown earth and see what happens. Most have flourished; some have done so-so, but the coolest thing is to see a limp, dying plant rejuvenate again once out-of-doors.
B-)
johobbit

Postby Aslanisthebest » Jul 29, 2013 3:46 pm

I enjoyed reading about your gardens, fantasia and jo! Fantasia, that's fantastic about your garden!!

And, likewise, Jo! Your garden harvests sound delicious. I want to try beans next year! I bet sun-ripened beans fresh from the garden taste heavenly.

There are a handful of farmer's markets in my proximity. I wish we went more often, as I've always loved it there when we went. We couldn't stop gushing over the unbelievably fresh and wholesome zucchini, the unspeckled cauliflower, the sweet peaches.... I really need to stop by this year!

Jo wrote:Bella and DiGs, how doth your gardens grow? ;))
My garden is doing pretty good, thank-you! I have so far gotten one ripe tomato, as well as plenty of basil and mint.

My tomatoes are doing..... well, interestingly. I'm not sure if it was space or pruning that affected how much fruit they had. I'm not really disappointed, as one tomato this year is better than none last year... :P But it's not as much as I had thought it would be. They are taking their sweet time ripening, though.

My basil has just taken off. I'm going to have to take time to dry it one day if I don't want to lose it!

My peppers are doing beautifully. They are not as big as I expected, but the yield is great and the fruit is lovely. I think it was that heat wave that gave them the push they needed.

The okra is... okay. I see one okra growing on a plant. :P On the plant that is doing better, there are some more signs of coming fruit. I hope we get enough to make it once, at least. :P On my better plant, the leaves are so soft - they feel like my kitty's ears. I need to check what variety it is... but it was certainly nice to feel that after being pricked by the zuchinni plant. :P [/ramble] Digs, you were right! Once our heat wave came, the thing grew three more feet!

Aaaand, my watermelon!! Again, like almost everything else in the garden, the yield is not that good. However, there are two plummy watermelons growing! I put them in the hammocks and everything (pictures will be coming....). They are so adorable and cute, and they're just growing every day and adfjkajfk ... I'd better stop. :P I'm not sure why I don't have more on the plant, because there was certainly no shortage of flowers. I am thinking that it is primarily limited space and inadequate soil, but, you know, the flowers bloom and then turn into dry crisps. Only one or two turn into watermelons, and sometimes those do not grow/dry out/look yellowed. Can't figure out what's up with that. But the two are looking nice and healthy, so I'm satisfied! :P
RL Sibling: CSLewisNarnia
Aslanisthebest
Moderator Emeritus

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Jul 29, 2013 6:19 pm

My "garden" consists of four pots of herbs and our flowerbed. I got my first crop of spearmint today. I strung it out on some string, and have it drying in the front window. Once dried, I think it'll make lovely tea.

I occasionally munch on our stevia, but it's not producing a ton of leaves to dry.

The rosemary is not growing very much, but it's healthy, and it smells lovely.

The flower beds are okay. . . I don't have a lot of time or energy to work them like I should.
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby ValiantArcher » Jul 29, 2013 6:51 pm

Bella, it's too bad that your garden isn't yielding a lot besides the peppers; has it been the weather, do you think?

I don't know if this can count as gardening since I don't do anything with them during the year, but we have a huge crop of wild blackberries this summer. ;)) It's late this year, but it's huge and has been going for a couple of weeks now. I pick most evenings and usually run out of light before I finish two of the four patches. :P In addition to a cobbler and two pies and giving away a lot, we've also frozen 8 bags or so; I'm supposed to go over to a classmate's house on Wednesday and learn how to make blackberry jelly, which'll be fun. ;)) I keep expecting the patches to dry up, but it looks like I'll still be picking at least through this week unless something catastrophic happens to them. :)
Some days you battle yourself and other monsters.
Some days you just make soup.
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby Aravanna » Jul 29, 2013 9:47 pm

ValiantArcher, I'm super jealous as I LOVE blackberries and I don't think there's really any foraging (of wild fruit) to be done in my neighborhood, unless I were to steal my neighbor's pears. A lot of the yards up and down the street have fruiting pear trees. I wonder if back in the 60's and 70's some unscrupulous nursery sold fruiting pears as ornamental pears and everyone planted them thinking their were Bradfords.

Jo wrote:I wait for it to nearly expire indoors, then place it in that brown earth and see what happens. Most have flourished; some have done so-so, but the coolest thing is to see a limp, dying plant rejuvenate again once out-of-doors. B-)

Isn't that borderline miraculous Jo? I occasionally get nearly dead plants from work and they almost always thrive once they're in the soil. Plants certainly do best in the ground. And even my house plants which have to stay in their pots do better outside in the sun and wind.

Aslanisthebest wrote: I put them in the hammocks and everything (pictures will be coming....). They are so adorable and cute, and they're just growing every day and adfjkajfk ... I'd better stop.

Oh, I do want to see pictures! I didn't know you were supposed to do that with watermelon. I'd never heard of such a thing.

I'm about to be inundated with tomatoes myself. My Juliet Hybrid and Sungold have been going crazy for a few weeks now. In fact, my tomatoes and outgrown their rings and are all falling over so the veg garden isn't very attractive right now. I wish there was something I could do about that. Next year I'll just have taller rings I guess. Also, I made pesto last week with my own basil. That's pretty satisfying. ^_^

As for what's blooming in my flower bed's right now. The black and blue salvia has started coming into it's own. The cannas are just starting and the unusual blackberry lily (one of those almost dead plants I rescued from work) has started to bloom. If it dries out enough tomorrow, I'll try and take pictures since I think he's unique enough to be worth posting. (Also, in my head, all my plants are male. No idea why.)
Aravanna
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Aslanisthebest » Jul 29, 2013 10:15 pm

Digs, that's a good idea - mint tea! As I wrote above, I need to do that with my basil tomorrow or something.

You know, Valia, I didn't consider the weather... that's a good explanation though. And I echo Ara, that is so awesome about the wild blackberries! Tell us how the jam goes. Do the blackberries come every year?

Jo and Ara wrote:I wait for it to nearly expire indoors, then place it in that brown earth and see what happens. Most have flourished; some have done so-so, but the coolest thing is to see a limp, dying plant rejuvenate again once out-of-doors. B-)

Isn't that borderline miraculous Jo? I occasionally get nearly dead plants from work and they almost always thrive once they're in the soil. Plants certainly do best in the ground. And even my house plants which have to stay in their pots do better outside in the sun and wind.

I can agree with these thoughts! I have a very bad habit of giving up on anything that looks limp after two or so hours - I might rip it out or just get rid of it. However, I repotted a marigold that wasn't doing very well, not having much hopes for it, and the thing has at least 10-15 blooms once it was in the ground. It's so, like you said, Ara, miraculous to see a plant that was wilted and weak finally start looking better.

Ara wrote:Oh, I do want to see pictures! I didn't know you were supposed to do that with watermelon. I'd never heard of such a thing.
Thank-you! I'll get some pictures tomorrow, probably.
Yes, I decided to do things a little differently with my watermelon plant, and so I let it climb a couple tomato cages, and then I made some hammocks out of knee-high tights. :P These are icebox watermelons, so I suppose the support of a tomato cage will be enough, but next year, I might think of doing something more sturdy. I mostly did this for space reasons, but also to keep it from exposure to the soil/the large colonies of ants and pillbugs that haunt our yard. :P

That is great about your garden! :D I'm having the same problem with my tomato plants - I used all the small trellises on them, so now I'm trying to bend them horizontally and let them use the support of another cage, just so they aren't clumsily toppling over.

I have a question for you all... what do you do about pruning? I used some really, really unorthodox methods of pruning (I just lopped off a lot of stuff), and while I did see an increase in fruit, I do know that I'm getting like 3 tomatoes on two plants, and shrimpy tomatoes from the large roma in the container. I have a feeling I was overzealous about the thing, so I'm wondering what to do about the situation.
Aslanisthebest
Moderator Emeritus

Postby ValiantArcher » Jul 30, 2013 7:52 pm

;)) Well, you're more than welcome to come over, Ara; you can carry away all that you can pick. Ooh, yeah, your neighbors might not appreciate you stealing their pears. ;)) Then again, if they really were supposed to be ornamental, they might not care. ;) So, em, that said, what's the difference between fruiting and ornamental pears? I'm guessing the latter aren't edible, but Winter thought Bradfords were?

Bella, the blackberry picking offer stands for you too. ;) I'll be sure to let you all know how the jamming/jellying goes. :) The blackberries do tend to come every year, but we've been in a drought state for a number of the past years (and still kind of are, though we've been getting a fair amount of rain lately) so they haven't been producing much. This is really only the second summer since I was little that I've been picking them, though, and it really is too much for one person. ;))

DiGs, do you just brew the dry spearmint leaves for tea and it's as easy as that? I don't suppose you can grow spearmint in a window box? ;))
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby Aslanisthebest » Jul 30, 2013 8:01 pm

Haha, I wish, Valia! Thank-you for the offer! I can't wait to hear about the jam! :) I've been interested in finding out exactly how to do that and have been enjoying studying different methods. :)

As for growing mint, you can grow mint anywhere. I grow mine in small quart-sized pots that are equivalent to the size of a window box. Mint is extremely sturdy and prolific (Mine have lasted for three/four years, just sitting outside in the winter, and since it spreads like a weed, I have many flowerpots of it.) :)
Aslanisthebest
Moderator Emeritus

Postby ValiantArcher » Jul 30, 2013 8:54 pm

;)) I figured it would be a bit far, Bella. Yeah, I actually don't know anything about making jam, but I've been wanting to try it for ages, so I'm really happy my classmate offered to show me (and at least another classmate or two---she told another classmate it's a girls-only class, and he's already offered to bring a loaf of his wife's bread to the lab if we'll bring some jelly in after we've made it ;))). I'll be sure to let you all know how it goes.
That's good to know about mint, thank you! :) Does it need lots of sunlight? And do you have to do anything besides stick the seeds in the soil and water it? ;))
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby johobbit » Jul 31, 2013 11:23 am

Definitely, Bella, I encourage you to try beans. Indeed, they are delectable straight from the garden, and are quite easy to grow. The only issue I have found is small rodents enjoying them as well, but that's where I plant the marigolds, which seem to help to repel those cute little critters. ;))

And 'tis good to hear about your garden, although I'm sorry you're to hear plants aren't producing as much as you would like to see this year. Ah, mint, we planted that years ago and it started taking over one of our gardens. It's so pretty and the scent is lovely, but we eventually had to dig it out, it was so intrusive. Someday when I have more room, I'd like to put it in again.

Hmm, that's odd about your tomatoes. Well, keep persisting, and hopefully you will be able to enjoy some of that luscious fruit in time.

Nice about your peppers! And speaking of which, I last wrote that what I thought was my red bell pepper plant was being way too persistent in staying green ... until this morning when I was watering and saw tinges of red finally on one of the larger peppers, hurrah! A related aside: that's what I love about watering: as you go over each section of the gardens, you get to take status as to how to every single plant is doing, whether floral or veggie. Then in my mind I develop a list as to what needs to be done with such-and-such a plant or row. Love that time in the early morning when the dew is still on the ground, the neighbourhood is still very quiet, the trees are rustling, and the birds are a-chirping to their hearts' delight. :D

Great, you got your watermelons tucked up in hammocks, Bella. Yes, indeed, wanna see pics, lol! How ingenious: knee-high tights!

As for pruning, I am getting more ruthless in my old age. :)) But Aravanna and fantasia would have better knowledge than me, so I pass that over to them. For example, though, when I pruned my hibiscus, I cut it back my 3/4. I think I have heard 2/3 is usually suitable, but it was just so pitiful-looking, that I went nearly all the way. Thankfully that worked! And I try to take suckers off my tomato plants ... which is supposed to do worlds of good in keeping the plant healthy.

Good to hear about yours too, DiGs. I really want to get a proper herb garden started sometime. We have parsley, which I readily use, but nothing else at this time (since we dug up all the mint :P).

Valia, that is so cool about all your blackberries. Is this a better season than usual, do you think, because of more rain this year? *drools over the jam*

Aravanna wrote:Isn't that borderline miraculous Jo? I occasionally get nearly dead plants from work and they almost always thrive once they're in the soil. Plants certainly do best in the ground. And even my house plants which have to stay in their pots do better outside in the sun and wind.

Bella wrote:It's so, like you said, Ara, miraculous to see a plant that was wilted and weak finally start looking better.

Indeed. My thought exactly (miraculous). And I doff my hat to you, Ara, for getting me to be more ruthless in pruning and cutting back. Remember my hibiscus was getting very scraggly and empty, so I pruned it vigorously only to find that after a few weeks it is filling in really full this time. Awesome!

Ara wrote:In fact, my tomatoes and outgrown their rings and are all falling over so the veg garden isn't very attractive right now. I wish there was something I could do about that.

I know whatof you speak! ;)) Thankfully we have a wire fence around the pool (or did—most of it is taken down now, except by my tomato plants,which are all entwined through it now, lol), because they always outgrow those cages by quite a bit. Then as different branches wind their way up to the sun, I gently twist-tie them to the wire fence, otherwise they'd bend and possibly break.

Would love to see a pic of the blackberry lily, Ara!

I am going to pick our first cob of corn in the day or so, as the silk is definitely turning that brown/maroon colour, so we shall pry open the leaves of one cob to see what we shall see.

The beans are ready to be picked again, as are a bunch of peas. The tomatoes are still ramping up. I can't imagine what it is going to be like when they are at their peak: will probably have to give a bunch away, there will be so many! ;))

Say, it's good to see this Gardening thread come to life! :D Now, let's hope it keeps up after the competition is over. ;))
johobbit

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Jul 31, 2013 12:32 pm

Valia, mint of all varieties (spear, pepper, cat, etc...) is considered to be a weed. . . .I have mine in a pot that's probably a 2 gallon pot, and it's thriving! Sun or shade isn't as important. . . just provide it a LOT of water. I'd think it would love being in a window box.

Yeah, once the leaves are dried, I plan on just storing them in a sort of glass jar, and than just brewing them with water. That's what I've read on the internet at least.

I might try extracting some of the essential oils from both my mint and my rosemary plants next. Has anybody ever done that before?
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby Aravanna » Jul 31, 2013 10:08 pm

Well, I was gone all evening, so no pictures. Bleh. Tomorrow maybe?

AslanistheBest wrote:I used all the small trellises on them, so now I'm trying to bend them horizontally and let them use the support of another cage, just so they aren't clumsily toppling over.

Mine are pretty clumsy this year. ;))

And as far as prunning tomatoes, I wouldn't cut more than a third off at one time. Especially if it's in a pot since it doesn't have a large root system and will be slow to recover. I've always been told you should take all the side branches (or suckers) off, but I haven't touched my tomatoes this year and they're producing like CRAZY so I don't think you need to prune them unless they're out of control.

And your watermelon are growing on a trellis. That makes a lot more sense why you'd put them in a sling.

ValiantArcher wrote:So, em, that said, what's the difference between fruiting and ornamental pears? I'm guessing the latter aren't edible, but Winter thought Bradfords were?

Here's a picture of Bradford fruit. Technically they're edible, but to quote a teacher "you'd starve to death while trying to eat them." Ornamental pears are only grown for looks, not fruit so they'll be covered in flowers in the spring and turn red in the fall.

Jo wrote:Ah, mint, we planted that years ago and it started taking over one of our gardens. It's so pretty and the scent is lovely, but we eventually had to dig it out, it was so intrusive. Someday when I have more room, I'd like to put it in again.

I think the best thing to do with mint is just stick it in a pot to curtail it's thuggish ways. That's what my parents have done with chocolate mint for a few years and it works well.

And yes, hibiscus can take quite a pruning if they're outside and it's about to be warm and sunny for them. I always feel a little sorry for my parents' plants but they spring right back out of it in a month or so. I probably cut them back by more like half instead of a third, which is the supposed limit to cut a plant back.

And I don't know if I'll ever get a picture of that blasted blackberry lily. I was gone today, it probably won't be blooming tomorrow since it seems to bloom every other day, and Friday I'll leaving to go to my parents for a wedding. Maybe it will bloom on Sunday or something. Some of the other flowers I can probably capture Friday morning if I get up early enough.

Digs wrote:Yeah, once the leaves are dried, I plan on just storing them in a sort of glass jar, and than just brewing them with water. That's what I've read on the internet at least.

The one time I tried to make tea out of fresh lemonbalm, it was disgusting. I don't know what I did wrong, but it just tasted like water and chlorophyll. If you successfully make mint tea, I'd be interested in knowing exactly how you do it. And I'd add that mint does grow faster in full sun... but why would you want it too. :-\
Aravanna
Moderator Emeritus

Postby ValiantArcher » Aug 03, 2013 7:04 pm

Jo, yes, we think the blackberries have been more abundant and larger due to the rain and cooler temps. :) It's been getting hotter and the bushes are slowly down and the berries are getting smaller now.

Thanks for the tips on mint, DiGs! :) I guess I don't actually have a proper windowbox, was more thinking of setting a pot on the windowsill. :ymblushing: And this is probably a stupid question, but can you buy mint seeds and, if so, do they have to be specially bought or would someplace like Wal-Mart have them?

Ah, thank you, Ara! Ornamental pears make sense now (at least from a definition point-of-view; if you have to take care of a fruit tree, why not get fruit from it?). :)

You all were asking about jelly making; it went really well! :) It actually went so well that I went over and made another batch (as well as some blackberry syrup) this morning. ;)) The worst part was making sure the jars sealed properly. :P But we took the two jars that hadn't sealed to the office the next day and everyone loved it, so that was good. ;)) I'm not sure what else to say; were there any particular questions about it?
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

PreviousNext