This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The thread for people who have Green Thumbs (Gardening)

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: The thread for people who have Green Thumbs (Gardening)

Postby Grandmama » Apr 01, 2019 5:42 pm

Fledge1, I can certainly understand not getting much gardening done if you just moved to a new house! Good idea to take a year to make a plan. And you can always grow a tomato in a container if you're itching to grow something. ;;)
"I suppose the sewing machine's too heavy to bring?. . . I can't abide the thought of that Witch fiddling with it. . ."
Grandmama
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby fledge1 » Apr 02, 2019 7:42 am

Grandmama wrote:Fledge1, I can certainly understand not getting much gardening done if you just moved to a new house! Good idea to take a year to make a plan. And you can always grow a tomato in a container if you're itching to grow something. ;;)

We have talked about that actually. I know there are lots of flowers that come back every year in our new yard. So I will see what I like and dont like. Dig up what I dont like and give to my grandma on the farm to replant and then evaluate what to do....I know this year other then veggies I want blue and purples planted. So may even get a blueberry bush.
I believe in Christianity as I believe in the sun: not only because I see it, but by it I see everything else. -C.S. Lewis
fledge1
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Grandmama » Apr 02, 2019 4:41 pm

fledge1 wrote:I want blue and purples planted. So may even get a blueberry bush.

At the risk of sounding ignorant, what are "blue and purples"? Do you just mean flowers that are blue and purple or is that a specific plant that I'm not familiar with?

Blueberry bushes are great--you not only get fruit, they also look nice year round.
"I suppose the sewing machine's too heavy to bring?. . . I can't abide the thought of that Witch fiddling with it. . ."
Grandmama
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby fledge1 » Apr 03, 2019 7:52 am

Grandmama wrote:At the risk of sounding ignorant, what are "blue and purples"? Do you just mean flowers that are blue and purple or is that a specific plant that I'm not familiar with?

Blueberry bushes are great--you not only get fruit, they also look nice year round.

Sorry, I meant the color. I want lots of blues and purples in my yard. So if you know of any flowers or plants that have blues and purples please let me know!!
I believe in Christianity as I believe in the sun: not only because I see it, but by it I see everything else. -C.S. Lewis
fledge1
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby fantasia » Apr 03, 2019 1:04 pm

I cannot believe I managed to pull this name out of my brain (couldn't find it just googling general characteristics), but my FAVORITE purple plant is the Plectranthus 'Mona Lavender.' Unfortunately mine died several years ago from scale, but it's been a while now, I may try it again.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Grandmama » Apr 03, 2019 3:49 pm

A few perennials that are purple or blue:
Iris
Baptisia (False Indigo)
Delphinium (Larkspur)
Brunnera (a shade loving plant with cute little blue flowers; it must be hard to kill since I've had one for several years without killing it :) )
Asters can be purple
Tulips can be purple
Bellflower

These are all hardy enough to survive Minnesota, so they should be fine in Illinois.

Fantasia, I looked up the plant that you mentioned--very pretty!
Grandmama
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby fledge1 » Apr 04, 2019 1:31 pm

Thanks Grandmama!! I will look into those. And Fantasia, we had those in front of our house in Kansas. Very pretty and get HUGE!
fledge1
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby mm1991 » Apr 06, 2019 12:37 am

I am allergic to pollen + am in a tiny apartment with no balcony or opportunity for window sill plants. Aloe Veras are the only gardening I'm doing lately. :D
"Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you!"
- Dr. Seuss

mm1991
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Grandmama » Apr 06, 2019 11:11 am

I have little tomato and pepper seedlings sprouted under lights in the basement. Something new this year is trying to grow alpine strawberries from seed. So far, no sprouts, but the package did say it can take 3 weeks.

Rain today, which hopefully will wash away any remaining snow in the yard and green things up. I've been raking up the leaves that fell after the snow last fall. The ground is still too frozen here to start digging. I'm really hoping that we have a nice Spring this year--if the law of averages works, we are certainly due for one!

mm1991, I tent to kill houseplants, so if your aloe vera plants are doing well, good for you!
Grandmama
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby mm1991 » Apr 06, 2019 7:13 pm

@Grandmama, What's funny is I developed my love for Aloe Veras when I was about 13 and needed to keep a plant alive for my biology class. After much research, I concluded Aloe Veras were basically unkillable and picked that as my plant. Keep them out of the cold, water them once every two months, and leave them alone. Easiest grade I've ever gotten. :p Fast forward many years later, I get my boyfriend an Aloe Vera plant as a gift, warning him to almost never water it. He kills it within 4 weeks, asking, "Was watering my plant 3 times per week too much?" *sigh* =))
"Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you!"
- Dr. Seuss

mm1991
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby fantasia » Apr 08, 2019 6:54 am

Did a little bit of gardening yesterday in my fairy garden area. Put two hostas in the ground. They had lived in pots at my mom's house, she gave them to me last year, and I'm finally getting around to sticking them in the ground. There's a third hosta to go, but the kids weren't tolerating productivity, so we'll catch him another night this week. ;)

In other news, I have a raspberry issue. The one I got last year in a pot has already rooted into the ground and spread like crazy. The problem? I put it where I did to hide the utility boxes so now it's intertwined with the underground lines. I have no idea how to get it out of there without killing it, and I REALLY don't want to kill it. It's my first raspberry to finally grow. :((
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Grandmama » Apr 08, 2019 8:00 pm

fantasia wrote: but the kids weren't tolerating productivity

Ha! Made me laugh!

mm1991, your anecdote about your boyfriend and the aloe vera plant also brought a smile to my face.

My hubby took advantage of a lovely day today to build another raised bed box that will become an actual raised bed once the ground thaws enough to dig in. I'm looking forward to actually planting something in it, but that won't be for at least a month.
Grandmama
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Grandmama » Apr 18, 2019 9:58 am

Last week we had April snow (grrrrrr :(( ), but it is mostly melted and the grass is turning green, so perhaps we are having real Spring now.

In the plant nursery, there are over a dozen tiny strawberry sprouts now. :D Also little marigolds, nasturtiums, dahlias and zinnias.

Does anyone else start plants under lights?
Grandmama
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Kalta79 » Apr 20, 2019 6:48 pm

Nothing has sprouted yet, and Monday I started seeds for flowers(snapdragons, daisies, and nasturtiums), and brussel sprouts, broccoli raab, ground cherries, and bell peppers. This coming Monday I'm starting cotton, romanesco broccoli, sunflowers, tomatoes, pumpkin-on-a-stick(decorative eggplant variety), and maybe thyme.
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Grandmama » Apr 25, 2019 7:10 am

Kalta, I'm curious as to how you prepare brussel spouts. I've never liked them, but I think it has to do with how my mom prepared them which was basically to boil them until they were mushy.

I started nasturtiums under lights 2 weeks ago and had to move them to larger containers already--they are 4" tall! And I thought marigolds grew quickly.

I'm itching to get outside and do some digging now that the ground is thawed, but I had a minor surgery on Monday (to remove a spot of skin cancer) and I'm supposed to "take it easy" this week. Aargh!
Grandmama
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Kalta79 » Apr 25, 2019 2:36 pm

I just start seeds next to the window. I'm hoping to find a way to prepare brussel sprouts with lots of bacon and cheese to disguise the taste. :-)

Broccoli raab has sprouted, haven't started the romanesco broccoli yet, however I did start lettuce and spinach seeds in the ground.
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Nut

PreviousNext