This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Profanity, why so overused?

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Profanity, why so overused?

Postby narnian1 » Jan 14, 2010 9:39 am

Phosphorus wrote:Don't forget the technical difference between profanity and obscenity (while one is often used to cover the other). Profanity as strictly defined is certainly sinful wherever it may be found, because it is taking the name of something sacred or worthy of respect in vain, particularly God's own name. Obscenity tends to be mindlessly crude for shock value. I don't believe I've ever used words from either category in my life, although especially here at a university I am regularly exposed.

by these definitions then:
Profanity- I do use frequently. but only with one statement. and that's be "Oh my.."

Obscenity-
I think this on occasion but never say them. except as I stated previously with my pointer finger in substitute- though the intentions are the same.
narnian1
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Glenstorm the Great » Jan 14, 2010 9:42 am

I don't usually swear b/c I am a Christian and the Bible says to be careful what comes out of my mouth. Mild, harmless swears IMO are fine but I never use strong words with really bad meanings.

I agree with the various above posts that mention people use those words b/c everyone else does. I have some acquaintances that swear all the time, and they do it really casually as if it's no big deal. But it really can be. One girl I met kept on saying the F-word around me and I was kinda offended b/c I don't like to be around people that use strong words like that so loosely. Especially God's name. If you do use swear words, I just suggest you be careful around who you're using them around, and think about why you are using them.

"Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be." The Apostle Paul in James 3:10
Glenstorm the Great
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Lucy P. » Jan 14, 2010 10:32 am

I don't mind when people are pottymouths if it's only because they were brought up that way, but when people swear to get attention it bugs me.

Also, I think society has warped view of what is offensive. Honestly, the F-word can never be anywhere near as bad as when you bring the name of God into the equation.
Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Lucy P.
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Bartholmew » Jan 14, 2010 10:38 am

Funny that you should all mention that word...

To the world it always seems that the mention of God's name out of context is alright but that word is a "No, no."

I've kind of been taught that... (EDIT: I've been taught )That word is like the worst word you could use... So I find it interesting how you all say that it would be worse to put God's name in vain though if you think about it that makes plenty of sense to me.
Pumbaa: “Anything we can do?” | Simba: “Not, unless you can change the past.” –The Lion King
Bartholmew
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby kotwcs » Jan 14, 2010 10:53 am

I think people swear and use bad language because a. their parents did, b. they picked it up in some setting like school or work. Those are very poor reasons to swear, in my opinion, but I understand it's a hard habit to break.

It's interesting that a lot of swear words are actually very old words that meant different things and were perfectly acceptable a long time ago...it's not the word itself that's wrong, it's the attitudes and meanings assigned to it by people. So I think as long as these words recall those kinds of meanings in others, we shouldn't use them.

I've often wondered about euphemisms, like "Golly!" "Dang it!" etc., these are only to avoid taking the Lord's name in vain. Even "Oh my!" and "Goodness!" are these kind of euphemisms, and I use them all the time. :-s

Hm, is it more acceptable generally to use words that insult God rather than words about bodily functions? Of course, neither kinds of words should be used, but I think I sense a skewed value system there...
kotwcs
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby narnialover101 » Jan 14, 2010 10:59 am

Lucy P. wrote: Also, I think society has warped view of what is offensive. Honestly, the F-word can never be anywhere near as bad as when you bring the name of God into the equation.
I don't think I'd put it quite that way. Certainly using God's name in vain is not something to be taken lightly, but using the F-word is not something to be taken lightly either. There are some swear words (including the F-word) that have other inappropriate meanings behind them that make them unfit to be said by anyone who claims Christ. So perhaps society is off in the their thinking (and they most certainly are) but I'd just be careful not to make it sound like the f-word is not as big of a deal, just because it doesn't include God's name in it. God commanded us not to let obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking come out of our mouth, and by doing so you are still insulting the Lord, regardless of whether or not you're saying "God."

I'll always be a,
NL101 :)
Rest in Peace Old Narniaweb
(2003-2009)
narnialover101
Moderator Emeritus
Narniaweb's Resident Peter Pan Gone Gangsta'

Postby Bartholmew » Jan 14, 2010 11:03 am

Hmmm... Very good point there NL101... I have a problem when I use words I don't really always mean them as what the words definition is... Which then can lead to lots of problems of people taking the word as what the word is supposed to mean instead of what I am meaning in my little messed up brain of mine.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention.
Pumbaa: “Anything we can do?” | Simba: “Not, unless you can change the past.” –The Lion King
Bartholmew
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Glenstorm the Great » Jan 14, 2010 11:04 am

Using God's name in vain is worse I think. He is, after all, God. And taking His name lightly is not a good thing to do. He commands us not to do this. Granted the other word is bad as well (and something I'd never use), but I still find it worse to insult God's name than say such a crude word.
Glenstorm the Great
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby narnialover101 » Jan 14, 2010 11:31 am

But aren't you, by doing something which He has commanded you not to do, still insulting His name? After all, by not obeying Him you are essentially saying you know better, which is certainly insulting to Him.

I'll always be a,
NL101 :)
Rest in Peace Old Narniaweb
(2003-2009)
narnialover101
Moderator Emeritus
Narniaweb's Resident Peter Pan Gone Gangsta'

Postby Glenstorm the Great » Jan 14, 2010 11:42 am

That's why I don't say that either. The best answer is, just don't swear at all. Then you have no problems about which word is better to say and whatnot.
Glenstorm the Great
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Bartholmew » Jan 14, 2010 11:59 am

Easy thing to say---Hard thing to follow.
Bartholmew
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Glenstorm the Great » Jan 14, 2010 12:04 pm

That's true. But aren't most of God's commands the same way? The good thing to do is usually the hardest thing as well. And truly, I'm not really exposed to much swearing, and since I don't hear it alot, and my close friends don't use those words either, I usually don't, b/c when there isn't peer pressure, and you're not constantly around it, it's not as tempting tosay. Now I realize for someone who is around swearing alot, and hears it all the time, it can be hard not to let it slip everyonce in a while. But we should strive not to.
Glenstorm the Great
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby stargazer » Jan 14, 2010 12:06 pm

After a discussion among a number of moderators, it was decided that this discussion, while helpful to consider, seems to fit best either in a theological context (using God's name in vain) or a philosophical one (why do people swear?). So we're going to close this one and ask that the conversation continue in the Christianity, Religion, and Philosophy thread (the current page begins here). Thanks!
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Previous