Save the Date

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: johobbit, stargazer

Save the Date

Postby Cleander » Nov 12, 2018 10:57 am

Hi everyone,
Yesterday was the 100th anniversary of the signing of the treaty that ended World War I. This seemed like a good time to post a thread where everyone can observe historic anniversaries and other important dates. But let's not forget special holidays ( such as National Donut Week or International Talk Like a Pirate Day). Posts should be within the same week as the date(s) you wish to observe. And yes, you can post stuff for well-known holidays too. Let the calendars be opened!
" Return and sit with me in my ravings..."
Cleander
NarniaWeb Regular

Re: Save the Date

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Nov 12, 2018 8:59 pm

Neat thread! Personally, I've always wanted to know where things like National Doughnut Week come from... is there a committee that is in charge of these things? ;)) I see these hashtags trending on Twitter every other day, it seems, and I always wonder why I never get the head's up beforehand so I can make plans. ;)

I have kind of shied away from reading too much about WW1 these past couple of weeks because the staggering loss of life is so painful to contemplate, but I did listen to this podcast yesterday and it was a nice way to reflect on courage and hope in the midst of darkness. It's worth a listen, but the article summary is a nice read, too.
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Cleander » Nov 18, 2018 7:22 pm

This Thanksgiving is a little extra special to some of us; specifically those of us who love history and... pirates. That's right. Thursday, November 22, 2018, will mark 300 years since the death of that infamous pirate of all pirates, BLACKBEARD! The ferocious sea marauder was cut down in battle with Royal Navy sailors on the deck of his ship off the coast of North Carolina on November 22, 1718. Now THERE'S an anniversary worth observing, me hearties!
In honor of this historic occasion, I will be temporarily changing my profile picture to one of Blackbeard. Anyone who wants can do this too.. or just do something piratey. A little weird, it being Thanksgiving and all, but... whatever. Maybe find a picture of a turkey with an eye patch. I don't know... :D
" Return and sit with me in my ravings..."
Cleander
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby wild rose » Nov 25, 2018 5:09 am

An interesting fact about WWI was that the actualy end of the war happened here in Zambia. The German soldiers surrendered on November 14, 1918 Cambeshi bridge at present day Mbala (back then it was known as Abercorn). It's located in the Northern Province. A memorial was erected there this year on the 100 year anniversary date. I just found it a really interesting piece of information and not one I had ever heard about until I came to Zambia
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby stargazer » Dec 21, 2018 12:14 pm

It was 50 years ago today that Apollo 8 was launched, carrying the first men who would orbit the moon. Space.com has this 50th anniversary retrospective from NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine which talks about a number of risks taken with the Saturn V rocket, which had not completed testing and was still unreliable. It also includes the astronauts' Christmas Eve message to "all of you on the good earth."

Those old Saturn V launches were so spectacular! It seemed to take forever to build up enough thrust just to clear the tower.

(Now I feel old. ;)) I remember being glued to the TV or radio for any scrap of news about this mission).
Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before!
"Maybe Christmas," he thought, "doesn't come from a store."
"Maybe Christmas...perhaps...means a little bit more!"

Apollo 8's Christmas Eve message, 1968
stargazer