This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Homeschooling

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Homeschooling

Postby fledge1 » Jan 13, 2020 9:47 am

Not gonna lie. This has been one of the hardest things. One of my kids loves it, one of them misses school but doing ok, the youngest HATES it. But doesnt want to goto school either. And we found out he has ADHD and also something called ODD which we are looking into. Been a hard year. Not sure we can homeschool him next year, just for the fact that he has so many educational needs we cant do. Still figuring it all out.
I believe in Christianity as I believe in the sun: not only because I see it, but by it I see everything else. -C.S. Lewis
fledge1
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby mm1991 » Jan 16, 2020 5:47 pm

Homeschooling is no joke! Honestly it is good that your childred are comfortable telling you the truth @fledge1. My parents intended to homeschool me for elementary school, but after homeschooling for Kindergarten, they knew it would be best to put me in private school instead (although I was eventually homeschooled for high school). Some kids don't mesh well with homeschool. I've known quite a few families who stopped homeschooling some of their kids but continued with the others. Just based on what is best for each individual child. Good luck to you guys dealing with the ODD diagnosis. I've been hearing about that the last few years and it can be incredibly difficult to manage.
"Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you!"
- Dr. Seuss

mm1991
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby fledge1 » Jan 17, 2020 12:52 pm

Thanks mm1991
It has been really hard. I think it has been harder to explain to others that he is in fact a sweet fun kid. Just has some control issues. Then they think we just dont discipline enough. He is a great kid. Wish so many didnt have their opinions about it all.
We are still figuring out if we are going to homeschool one next year or all go to school. Parenting is hard!
I believe in Christianity as I believe in the sun: not only because I see it, but by it I see everything else. -C.S. Lewis
fledge1
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby fantasia » Jan 27, 2020 12:26 pm

fledge, I'm very sorry your first year has been so rough! And as I have no personal experience with what you're going through, the only thing I can offer on what to do in the future are two stories from people I know who have kind of gone through something similar to what you and your wife have....
The first is from the president of the Kansas homeschooling group. He and his wife have adopted several children (don't know how many exactly) but all have had some type of disability. The first year I started out he spoke at the opening night session for people who were just jumping in and he said to expect the first year to be the worst and to be awful. And then he said in his experience it always got better from there because they started to learn what worked for each individual child and how to tailor to their needs.
The second is from a close friend of mine whose eldest son was diagnosed with ADD (I know, not the same as ODD), but prior to his diagnosis, he was a complete jerk. After his diagnosis and once he was on correct medication, she had a completely new kid!

I know homeschooling is not for everybody, and regardless of what you and your wife end up doing in the future I hope your son finds some good help to get those ODD episodes under control!
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Glenwit » Jan 27, 2020 2:06 pm

Dang - just how many NarniaWebbers have been homeschooled??

Well, add me to the list :p

Well, I used to be...a long time ago.
Grades 1-10. It was a time!
Love can save a life, like music warms the night
Everything is beautiful now
So open up your eyes, fall into the light
Everything is beautiful now
Glenwit
NarniaWeb Regular

Location: In deep space - testing a shared universe portal hypothesis

Postby fledge1 » Jan 27, 2020 2:58 pm

fantasia wrote:
I know homeschooling is not for everybody, and regardless of what you and your wife end up doing in the future I hope your son finds some good help to get those ODD episodes under control!

Thanks! We are starting to wonder if it is actually ODD. We have someone else looking and they think it is not. Just ADHD, which will still cause the outbursts and such. Now learning about the correct meds that wont mess him up.

Thanks for the post back. We are still praying about what to do.
fledge1
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby fantasia » Apr 08, 2020 2:37 pm

Well this has just been an odd thing that has happened in the world right now. And all of a sudden there are SO. MANY. SCHOOL/HOMESCHOOL. RESOURCES. online. Many of them free! *downloads like crazy* It's funny because it immediately jumped to overwhelming with all the things. I finally cut myself off. ;)) Anyways... enough of what we all know already and are probably sick of hearing about... :P

We had about two weeks of fast tracking through our curriculum there because everything outside of our house got cancelled. And then all of a sudden our weather is GORGEOUS this week and so school was shoved into a corner and we've been outside. ;)) Our week break starts tomorrow and runs through middle of next week to celebrate Easter and our daughter's birthday so motivation wasn't terribly high to begin with. ;))

I have received two of the four curriculum that I will be using next year, Sonlight's Bible/History Year 2, and Apologia Astronomy, and the obsessive planner in me has already been figuring out my required 186 days. :)) I think next year will be a lot of fun because we're going to dive pretty heavily into the Middle Ages with knights and castles and such. Who doesn't love that???? I'll have to find some fun side projects to do. :D Tips from homeschool graduates?
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby fantasia » May 08, 2020 7:33 pm

The end. is. in. sight! Whoooo! :D

I have one more week of curriculum to go and that's a wrap for the school year...sort of. ;) I'll have three days the following week to just make up a few fun projects to get to my 186 days, but heaven knows I've got plenty of material lying around to work with.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby fantasia » May 29, 2020 5:10 pm

I was very happy to finish up homeschool last week. :ymparty:
So for the summer, we're reading The Tale of Despereaux, and the kids wanted to learn Spanish, so I sign them into Duolingo for about an hour (total) each day. Gives 'em something to do. :D

Trying to plan for next year, but as I branch out more and more into other curriculum besides the nice boxed set, it's getting more and more difficult to do so. Eventually I'll just fly by the seat of my pants and it will all be good. ;))
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Previous