This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Happy Thanksgiving! (2016 edition)

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Happy Thanksgiving! (2016 edition)

Postby SnowAngel » Nov 07, 2016 11:40 am

Thanksgiving is just over two weeks away. I love this time of year. The air is cool and crisp, there's apple cider and pumpkin desserts, Christmas music (if you start listening to it this early), and so many other wonderful things happening.

Have any favorite traditions or memories of Thanksgiving?

My favorite tradition is my family’s “thankful for” jar. When I was about 6 years old my Mom started the tradition and we’ve done it every year since then. Here’s how it works, we get a large canning jar, some nuts, M&M’s, candy corn, or other small candy and nuts. We pass the jar around the table and saying either "Thank you God for…"or "I’m thankful for…", and then we drop one piece of candy in the jar for each 'thankful for'. We usually do this at lunch every day until Thanksgiving and then on Thanksgiving and the days following it we get to eat the candy and nuts. We each do 6 thankful fors everyday depending on the size of the candy or nuts we are using that day. We normally have 2-3 large canning jars filled by Thanksgiving. :) This year we have a pumpkin shaped glass candy dish. :D

I'm thankful for...
~My savior, Jesus Christ!
~My parents! They are so wonderful. :)
~My brothers and sisters...life is so awesome with them!
~Grandparents, aunts & uncles, cousins. Family is the best! :D
~My pen-pal and her family. Outside of my family the one person whose friendship means the most to me is my pen-pal's. ;;)
~All of the wonderful people here on NarniaWeb! :ymhug:

What are you thankful for this year?

SnowAngel
We are too prone to engrave our trials in marble
and write our blessings in sand. — C.H. Spurgeon
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Re: Happy Thanksgiving! (2016 edition)

Postby fantasia » Nov 11, 2016 1:49 pm

This thread needs some love. ;)

Well I will share a specific incident that happened today. My husband and I went and met with our son's teachers to discuss his IEP for the next year. (IEP is short for Individualized Education Program, and is tailored to the special needs of the student.)
Evan had met and exceeded last year's IEP goals that expires next month, so we drafted a new plan for the next 12 months. Things like being able to say a 5 word sentence, being able to cut with a scissors, drawing a straight horizontal and vertical line, things like that.
His new plan (for those of you who are interested) includes starting to draw shapes and holding a pencil correctly (the way he holds it now is weird), pedaling and steering a tricycle and correctly catching a ball, being able to answer 'when' and 'why' questions, and following a set of up to five directions THE FIRST TIME HE HAS BEEN ASKED. :P
The following directions bit is the one I'm most excited about as we have definitely had a battle of wills going on lately and obedience is not his strong suit.
But as the teachers pointed out today that if his stubbornness, hyperactivity and being a class clown are the only major side-effects from his incredible premature birth, we are VERY fortunate and VERY blessed. Not all preemies can say that. Evan is a very smart kid and a lot of fun and I'm thankful to have him. :D
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Nov 11, 2016 4:08 pm

I'm thankful that you post these gratitude-filled threads every year, SA! :ymhug:

Aww, I am so glad that Evan is doing so well, fantasia. That is something to be thankful for indeed! I wasn't premature, but I was pretty strong-willed as a young child, and I did mellow out as I aged, so hang in there. ;))

A few things I'm thankful for...

1. The salvation found in Christ.
2. My family and friends.
3. Beautiful autumn days.
4. Tea. So much tea. ;))
5. Websites like Duolingo, Librivox, and Project Gutenberg. They all enrich my life, and they're all free!
6. Cat videos, especially Maru, who is truly a visionary mind. :P
7. NarniaWeb, my favorite forum! :ymhug:
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby ValiantArcher » Nov 11, 2016 9:03 pm

My family isn't much for holiday traditions, so not much there. ;)) But there are a number of things I'm thankful for; a few of them are below.

1. Spending time with my family
2. The star that came out when I was driving home
3. Catching mistakes at work (especially when I didn't make them ;)) )

fk, that's great! :D

Ooh, tea is very good too, Rose. ;))
Some days you battle yourself and other monsters.
Some days you just make soup.
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby HazyHays » Nov 15, 2016 10:09 am

Thanksgiving has to be my favorite holiday of all. It is where a lot of my family gets together at my Grandparents home and we have a wonderful time together. Of course there will be lots of yummy food to eat, and most of the guys will watch the Football Game, I will certainly be up in the morning to watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade, but the main thing is that many of my family will be all together and that is very special to me.

I am thankful for many things, but a few major ones are this:

1. My family and friends whom without I don't know if I'd survive most days.

2. My health

3. Dance(Ballet, Jazz, and Modern) gives me a hobby I have enjoyed most of my life.

4. The Beach: for providing so many fun memories with friends and family over the Summer.

5. and now this forum where I can meet and interact with other Narnia fans.
"Daughter of Eve from the far land of Spare Oom, around the bright city War Drobe, how would it be if you came and had tea with me?"~ Mr. Tumnus
HazyHays
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby SnowAngel » Nov 22, 2016 11:14 pm

WOW, November is going fast or maybe my grandparents visit is going fast or maybe both. Must be both.

I am so thankful for my grandparents and that they are currently visiting for two whole weeks! It's had been a long time since their last visit and we always have so much fun with them. B-)

I am thankful the troops and their families. :-bd

I am thankful for freedom.

I am thankful for my church, the pastors, and their families. \m/

I am thankful for new Christmas music to play way too loud on the stereo. :D

SnowAngel
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Nov 24, 2016 8:56 pm

I don't know what we would do with out you to start this tread SnowAngel!

I am thankful for many things but one that has been on my mind a lot is this: I am thankful that no matter how much we humans mess up the world and what tragedies or natural disasters strike God is ultimately in control.
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Postby fantasia » Nov 24, 2016 9:15 pm

A shallow Thanksgiving post intended to be humorous. ;)) I'm thankful that I got to eat Thanksgiving dinner in my pregnancy pants. :)) More room to put food!
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby withyouinrockland » Nov 25, 2016 11:06 am

Happy Thanksgiving to you all! Does anyone know how to put a profile pic on? I tried the "change your avatar". Maybe it's just my computer... Happy Black Friday too! And may the odds be ever in your favor!
withyouinrockland
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby Meltintalle » Nov 25, 2016 11:50 am

I'm thankful for this thread! It reminds me that there are a lot of things to be thankful for... :)

My family doesn't have much in the way of traditions for thanksgiving; the most traditional thing we have is the menu which remains more or less the same every year. I don't know if that's 'tradition' or 'habit'. :p

Things I'm thankful for this year include:
-spending time with family and friends
-a working car
-books to read
-we had snow on Thanksgiving which made a picture perfect landscape (and made it very cozy to stay inside and eat pie.)

withyouinrockland, welcome to the forum! You can find directions on how to add a profile pic here under the second heading "How to Upload Images to Your Profile". :) If you're looking for an avatar, there are several threads in the Fan Art forum with available ones, as well as the Non-Narnian Graphics threads.
Feel free to PM me (or any of the moderators) or ask here, if you have any questions. :)
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Nov 26, 2016 8:33 pm

Have a happy Thanksgiving weekend, everyone. :) By the way, did you know that it is St Andrews Day, which I hear is the national day of Scotland, on November 29th? :D Unfortunately, it is too hot to wear a kilt here. And fortunately, it is also far far too hot to break out in one of those energetic Scottish dances performed at the Edinburgh tattoo and at Scottish festivals around the world. :ymapplause:
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby SnowAngel » Dec 15, 2016 11:51 pm

Has it really been three weeks since Thanksgiving? Why does December always have to fly by?

I had a lovely Thanksgiving with my parents, siblings, and grandparents. The day was filled with good food, games, coffee, and laughter. :) I am so thankful my grandparents were able to make the trip to see us this fall.

SnowAngel
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness