This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The Movies Thread!

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: The Movies Thread!

Postby Puddleglum » Jan 23, 2016 9:40 pm

The Mrs. has been reading the books that the "murder She Baked" movies are based on. She refuses to watch them for fear that they will ruin the original story. She has watched Hallmark do this to some of her other favorites she is quite doubtful of any such projects.
Kind of on that. Has anyone seen "Revenant"? I truly enjoyed it, though it was not totally historically accurate to Hugh Glass's ordeal. Warning to the squeamish. There is some graphic violence in the film.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby ValiantPevensie4 » Jan 24, 2016 12:57 pm

Puddleglum wrote:Has anyone seen "Revenant"? I truly enjoyed it, though it was not totally historically accurate to Hugh Glass's ordeal. Warning to the squeamish. There is some graphic violence in the film.

I didn't see it but my dad and he really liked it. He was a history major and then he taught it for years so he was a little bugged by the inaccuracies as well. I was interested in seeing how Will Poulter did but not interested enough to see the movie. My dad thought he was really good in it. Any thoughts on that?
My biggest disappointment in life is that I am the only one in my family who didn't see a Narnia movie in the theater. Even though I love it the most and they will all admit that. But at least I share a birthday with C.S. Lewis.
ValiantPevensie4
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Puddleglum » Jan 24, 2016 7:03 pm

Will did quite well from what I saw. He played the young, still learning, mountain-man Jim Bridger. A real life historical figure, so I am eager to learn more of this individual. I am currently reading "Lord Grizzly", by Fredrick Manfred. Though admittedly a historical novel, it is said to be the best researched account of Glass's ordeal.
Being involved in historical Rendezvous, I was looking for accuracy to how these men lived out in the "wild". From what I saw, and have read from men more informed than I, it is probably the most accurate of the " Mountain Man" movies since "Jeremiah Johnson" with Robert Redford.
At least where it came to gear, and outfit.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Anfinwen » Jan 25, 2016 2:00 pm

Has anyone else heard about the new "Ben-Hur" movie that is coming out this summer? I know a lot of people think the 1959 version can't be beat, but as a fan of the book, I feel that this movie has great potential.
Formerly The Lady Arwen Undómiel
Anfinwen
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby ValiantPevensie4 » Jan 25, 2016 4:50 pm

Anfinwen wrote:Has anyone else heard about the new "Ben-Hur" movie that is coming out this summer?

I have heard of it! I honestly don't love the '59 version so I'm torn between not wanting to even see this one and hoping that I like it more. My dad LOVES the '59 one so I'm really interested to see if he ends up liking this one at all...
My biggest disappointment in life is that I am the only one in my family who didn't see a Narnia movie in the theater. Even though I love it the most and they will all admit that. But at least I share a birthday with C.S. Lewis.
ValiantPevensie4
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Anfinwen » Jan 28, 2016 2:44 pm

I've been gobbling up all the info I can find on it, and most of it looks promising. The cast and costuming look good. I could have wished for a younger Judah, but I'm going to assume they are shrinking the time line of events so his age will work in the end. Jack Huston said in an interview that they were not doing a remake of the '59 version but making a new adaptation of the book.

A few links if anyone is interested.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... n-Hur.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIEzBc-nk1M

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-1257251

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHOwNXL4iaI
Formerly The Lady Arwen Undómiel
Anfinwen
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Meltintalle » Jan 29, 2016 1:57 pm

That does look interesting, Anfinwen! (Though I read the DailyMail article and side-eyed all the 'appropriately attired' star pics, because in my humble opinion he looks like he's wearing jeans with that tunic and it looks like she's wearing ballet flats. ;)) Everything else looks as expected, which I guess is good from a costuming point of view--and maybe it makes more sense in context.)
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby stargazer » Feb 25, 2016 11:43 am

I went to see The Finest Hours recently with friends. It's based on the real-life Coast Guard rescue of an oil tanker crew after their ship split in two off the coast of Massachusetts in a 1952 Nor'easter.

We enjoyed it, though weren't certain how much was 'real' and how much was added via poetic license. I've read online complaints that this movie is "old fashioned to a fault," but I can't help thinking that means they did a fair job of capturing the time period portrayed.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby ValiantPevensie4 » Feb 26, 2016 11:38 am

stargazer wrote:I went to see The Finest Hours recently with friends.

I went to see that with my family! I was very impressed and would absolutely go again! I really enjoyed it! My older sister is at college so she couldn't come with us. We'll have to go a second time so she can come along!
ValiantPevensie4
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby johobbit » Feb 27, 2016 9:19 am

How did I miss The Finest Hours in the theatre? I would have liked to have seen that on the big screen. It sounds like a fascinating (and very intense) true tale. Hope you can get to see it again with your sister, Valiant Pevensie!

We've only seen a few select movies in the theatre in the past couple of years:

*Still Alice: an emotional and powerful story, especially since my own mother has Alzheimer's.

*the final installment of The Hobbit: not impressed. 'Nuff said. :P

*Everest: the true story of the fated 1996 Everest expedition that was overcome by a severe storm. Well done!

*The Peanuts Movie: good grief; good stuff. So Schulz in so many ways. Lots of nostalgia in there. The only thing I missed were the original voices.

*Risen: well worth seeing this historical fiction film. While the foundation throughout is from the Bible, the main story-line is fiction (a what could have been type-thing), but there is nothing we recall that could be said to be in opposition/contradiction to all that we know from the true Scriptural account. 'Though it was rather odd to see 'Malfoy'/Tom Felton as a Roman Centurion. ;))
johobbit

Postby Meltintalle » Feb 27, 2016 10:50 am

I liked Risen. It did a good job of taking a 'what-if' and making you think about the story from a slightly different angle.

One of my biggest gripes about Risen was the fact that the angels were not shown (though I understand why they were not). I was looking forward to them asking the disciples, "Men of Galilee, why do you stand here looking into the air?" :p ;))

(My other gripe is the escape among the rocks reminded me waaaaaay to much of the arrival in Rivindell in the first Hobbit movie, which kind of threw me out of the story and made the final third seem a bit 'off'.)

And my favorite part was when Doubting Thomas was allowed to put his hands inside the nail holes. That's always been such a meaningful part of the account, and to see it was... to get another perspective of what it might have been like. Just... wow.
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby Ryadian » Feb 28, 2016 2:44 pm

I'm gladd that people like The Peanuts Movie and Risen - they both looked interesting, but I'm very pessimistic about movies these days. :P My family might see Risen sometime this upcoming month, and I have a feeling we're definitely going to see The Peanuts Movie eventually - though we never got quite around to seeing it in theaters, despite talking about it more than once. :P

I haven't seen much else in theaters lately though, I'm afraid. ;)) We pretty much only go to the theater if it's a movie that really catches our attention - and since we're a family of geeks, that tends to mean superhero and sci-fi movies. The last movie I saw in theaters was The Force Awakens, and the next movie I'll probably see is Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice. I really, really want to like that movie - I love both Batman and Superman and a movie with them both should be amazing - but I wasn't the world's biggest fan of Man of Steel and I'm not sure the creators have learned their lesson. Still, some of the most recent trailers look promising, and my brother will probably force me to go see it anyways. ;)) I'm really looking forward to Captain America: Civil War - Captain America is my favorite superhero (though Batman is a close second), and I think that movie looks like it's going to be very good. :D I'm a little concerned about the large cast, but it's the same creative team that made The Winter Soldier, which is by far my favorite of the Marvel movies, so....
N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren
Ryadian

Postby Puddleglum » Feb 28, 2016 5:50 pm

I watched Risen with The Mrs. this weekend, and while we enjoyed it, I share Meltintalle's "gripes".
I am also looking forward to Batman vs. superman: Dawn of Justice, as well of several other "superhero" movies this year, including "Civil War". Though I must admit I have no intent to see "Deadpool" ( Heroes should at least try to be heroic in my book ).
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » Mar 07, 2016 12:32 pm

I watched The Martian this past weekend with friends. On the whole, we liked it. I've read there was a science adviser from NASA, and the science is pretty good (the only real nitpick would be that the Martian atmosphere is so thin that even during a storm it could never reach the forces shown in the movie. The movie makers knew this but took liberties to set up the plot).

There were some really impressive shots of the Martian landscape that I imagine would have been quite pretty on the big screen.

Also fun were some of the extras on the disc, which were written as if the world of the movie is real. Examples include an Under Armour advertisement that doubles as a recruitment spot, a Neil DeGrasse Tyson "StarTalk" episode about the trip to Mars, and a "documentary" showing behind-the-scenes troubles at NASA.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby ValiantPevensie4 » Mar 08, 2016 10:40 am

I've been waiting for Risen since before the first trailer and when that came out I just got even more excited about it! I kept up with the news and couldn't wait for it to be released! I kept my family up to date the whole time and showed them the trailers. None of them knew the movie was being made until I told them about it. And what do you know? First chance they get, my dad and brother go without me. :-w But my dad didn't like it enough to go again so I can see it. So until it's on DVD, I probably won't be seeing it. I might not even manage to get my hands on a copy then either.

In other news, my family went to see Zootopia this weekend when my sister came back from college and I loved it! (I'm going to mark the rest as a spoiler because I don't know much people even want to know.)
It was such a sweet movie and I thought it had a really important message. Most people so far seem to be interpreting it as a movie about a bunny who overcomes stereo types and follows her dream of becoming the first bunny cops, then proving to all that she can do anything she sets her mind to. But what I got out of it was that while there was this general assumption that bunnies (and other small animals) were weak they weren't the only animals who suffered from unfair prejudices and the predators had to face the same thing. I feel like that can be seen as a parallel to... really, most things that people get all bent out of shape about. Maybe that wasn't the point that Disney wanted to make, but it was what I took away from it. Personally, after seeing the movie, I can't imagine how that wasn't their intended message but so many people seem to still be focusing on the poor bunny who overcomes all odds and not the poor fox who no one trusts or believes in. So either I got it wrong or a lot of people are missing the point. I have an art account on Instagram (@artofalassiel) and I follow a lot of other art accounts. A lot of them saw the movie before me and for days my feed was flooded with fan art of Judy Hopps, the bunny. Sometimes Judy with Nick Wilde, the fox. And they would include these long descriptions about how Judy is so inspiring and she's such an independent and wonderful character. All this stuff about how she defies the odds and inspires the other animals. I had no idea that Nick was suffering just as much and overcoming just as many obstacles and dealing with just as much prejudice. I actually thought his backstory was more heartbreaking than hers and I wish that he could get as much recognition and love as she's getting. Of course, I'm sure there are others who love him as much as I do and it's only just been released (a lot of the fan art I saw came from people who saw early previews of it) so who knows what will happen?
ValiantPevensie4
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Puddleglum » Mar 26, 2016 8:22 pm

Just saw Superman vs. Batman. For the most part it was ok. It had enough references to the DC comics history to keep older fans interested, and played it into the plot to keep new fans interested too. Some of the writing was a bit weak, and if a person was not paying close attention to what was going on I could see them getting lost quickly.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

PreviousNext