This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The Movies Thread!

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: The Movies Thread!

Postby Col Klink » Jun 27, 2019 3:03 pm

I've actually been thinking of writing a blog post or making a YouTube video defending Disney's recent remakes. But by the time I got done with it, I'd probably be so sick of them that I'd agree with the anti-remake crowd. ;)) I understand why people who, for a job or a hobby, have to see every major movie that comes out would get sick of the lack of originality. But the ones I've seen clearly had a lot of talent and thought (as well as money) go into them and I don't think it's fair to dismiss them just because they're remakes of already popular properties.

I'd much rather watch a movie that's not claiming to be original, like Aladdin (2019), than a movie that's trying to sell itself as a fresh twist on old material but is totally paint-by-numbers, like Maleficent (2014.) (I'm sorry if you feel that's one of the movies that gets an undeserved bad rap, mm1991.) The idea of retelling a famous story with the roles of hero and villain reversed had already been done to death before that movie was made and I could see every major plot point/twist on Sleeping Beauty coming from miles away. It's like they typed "a revisionist feminist but also marketable telling of Disney's Sleeping Beauty in which Maleficent is the protagonist" into a computer program and got the script.
(The only "twist" I didn't predict was Maleficent being the one to awaken Aurora...because it was so utterly obvious I figured they'd want to do something more surprising. But apparently not.)

By contrast, a movie like Aladdin doesn't claim to be original and I respect it for that in a weird way. And when it does do something different from its source material, it actually does stand out as surprising and interesting because the audience hasn't been conditioned to expect major twists.
For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen
Col Klink
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby narnia fan 7 » Jun 27, 2019 4:25 pm

So for no particular reason at all, I decided to watch Coco. And I thought it was... fine?

On a technical level it's pretty good, the animation, visuals, and music (the score, not the songs) are all solid. But I have mixed feelings about everything else.

The characters are serviceable and likeable, but I didn't get emotionally invested in any of them. The plot and story were vary generic, predictable, and ironically kind of forgettable. And the villain "twist" felt vary unnecessary and pointless. I don't think having a generic plot isn't inherently a negative of you do something unique with it, but I don't think this movie really did. It just does the 'protagonist has a dream that his\her family doesn't approve of, but eventually they change their minds and everything works out ' beat for beat from other movies. Though to be fair, I did think the way they conclud that arc was good.

I also thought the messaging was kind of muddled. The movie plays with the idea that sometimes you have to sacrifice your dreams for others, which I don't necessarily disagree with. But in the context of the movie I don't think that idea works. Because Miguel's family's hatred of music is so cartoony and I think the logic behind is frankly stupid, when he decides he's willing to give up music it seems more like he's just giving in to his irrational overbearing family, and less like he's actually learnd something.

So, yeah. I don't think it's a terrible movie, but I wasn't really a fan of it overall.
narnia fan 7
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Reepicheep775 » Jun 28, 2019 1:38 pm

I enjoyed Aladdin quite a bit. I'm of two minds about these Disney remakes. I think the spark that got these movies greenlit is creatively bankrupt and probably a sign of the times (i.e. Hollywood relying on safe bets because they are losing audiences to streaming services like Netflix). That said, I think they can be well done given the premise.

I really enjoyed Aladdin. I do agree that it is "unnecessary" (i.e. I don't think it gives me enough that the original Aladdin didn't give me to justify its existence), but I had a great time watching it at the theatre.

I thought the casting for Aladdin and Jasmine was great. It really felt like those characters came to life. And live action Agrabah was just a really fun environment to spend a couple of hours.

One thing I will say though... I thought casting Will Smith as the genie was a fantastic choice, but I think the character could have been executed way better. That's not to say that the genie was bad, but I think that they should have completely reinvented him to better match Will Smith's comedic style. There are moments where original dialogue is used that clearly feels like it was written for Robin Williams and it makes the character feel just like a lesser version of what we got before. But then the added scenes and dialogue were great! An example of what I mean is the "Friend Like Me" song. I think that song should have been entirely rewritten. There was an added rap section in the song that lasted for a few seconds. That should have been the entire song imo.
Reepicheep775
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby SnowAngel » Jul 01, 2019 1:50 pm

Would you believe the Apollo 11 DVD finally came in at the library just hours after I had been there on Saturday? [-( I will probably have to wait until this Saturday to pick it up.

I did however get The Riot And The Dance: Earth for the N.D. Wilson fans that might be interested, will try to watch it soonest. I have seen really great things about it around the internet.

SnowAngel
We are too prone to engrave our trials in marble
and write our blessings in sand. — C.H. Spurgeon
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby mm1991 » Jul 07, 2019 2:21 pm

The trailer for the live-action Mulan just dropped. But there are no songs and no sign of iconic secondary characters (Mushu, little bug, ancestors, etc). I'm worried the rumors are true and they really stripped this one down bare. :(
"Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you!"
- Dr. Seuss

mm1991
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby daughter of the King » Jul 07, 2019 8:03 pm

It's based on the historical "Ballad of Mulan" rather than the animated movie. Not pared down so much as just a different take on the same source material. I'm hoping it's in the style of traditional martial arts films. Just embrace the legend and go for those wild sword fights while flying through the air.
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal
daughter of the King
Princess Dot

Postby SnowAngel » Jul 08, 2019 11:35 am

I watched The Riot And The Dance: Earth with my siblings and parents yesterday. Everyone enjoyed it, although most didn't care for all of the snakes. Highly recommend it. Favorite quote: "To be bored in this world is to be boring in this world."

Everyone is super excited there will be a second one about water. :D

Will be watching Apollo 11 next.

SnowAngel
We are too prone to engrave our trials in marble
and write our blessings in sand. — C.H. Spurgeon
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby Meltintalle » Jul 11, 2019 6:47 am

Watched the Hallmark At Home in Mitford last night with a couple of my siblings. It was... enjoyable in a cheesy sort of way, but not a good adaptation of the book. ;)) Everything iconic about the source material, except the pets and professions of the main characters, was stripped away.

However, our heroine was able to purchase the exact set of Chronicles of Narnia that I grew up with from the (presumably new, given the staging) bookstore. =)) And the giftee enjoyed them.

My favorite bits were the cat just sitting in the corner of the armchair, judging everyone.
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby fantasia » Jul 15, 2019 2:52 pm

Trying to get a copy of Apollo 11 before Saturday. I may have to resort to going to an old fashion movie rental store. :))

I would have had it yesterday except Captain Marvel came out at EXACTLY the wrong time and Netflix shipped that to me instead. :))
Watched CM last night, and maybe it's because I went in with really low expectations, but I liked it. :) Certainly WAAAY more than Wonder Woman which I did not care for at all.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby stargazer » Jul 15, 2019 3:03 pm

I have yet to see Captain Marvel (or Endgame) for that matter.

I plan on watching Apollo 11 again sometime in the next few days. I think the part I liked best was the new hi-def video of the Saturn V launch (along with the lunar EVA, of course).
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby mm1991 » Jul 22, 2019 7:54 pm

I just saw The Lion King! I loved it! Everyone else I went with enjoyed it too. There were some spots here and there that I felt could have been done better, but generally felt they did a good job. Timon and Pumba were hilarious! :)
"Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you!"
- Dr. Seuss

mm1991
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby narnia fan 7 » Oct 06, 2019 5:28 pm

Recently I watched the entire Harry Potter series for the first time. I kind of missed the whole Harry Potter hype train (terrible pun intended) when I was a kid. I never read the books or watched the movies and I honestly didn't had much interest in doing so. Then last December, I just so happened to see the first movie and about a month ago I decided to just go ahead and watch the rest of them.

Without going into excruciating detail about my thoughts on each movie, my overall opinion of the series is, it's fine. I think they range in quality from good but not great, to just okay. My favorite was either Prisoner of Azkaban or The Order of the Phoenix, my least favorite was probably The Chamber of Secrets. Having finally watched these movies, I can definitely see why they were such a pop culture phenomenon and also why so many people got so invested in this world and these characters.

That said, personally I didn't really get much out of them in that regard. I don't really find the wizarding word that interesting, and while Harry, Ron, and Hermione are for the most part likable and well written characters, I didn't get particularly invested in them. I can't help but think that I probably would have liked these a lot more if I'd seen them when I was younger and still in school.

Still, I did overall enjoyed watching these movies, and I certainly don't regret doing so.
narnia fan 7
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby AJAiken » Nov 29, 2019 9:26 am

All the positive reviews posted here about Aladdin are making me wonder if I should see it. However I have rather given up on the Disney remakes and have refused to see either it or The Lion King.

Frozen II I have seen. My sister and I went to see it yesterday and we both enjoyed it. I think the story was pretty predictable - every 'surprise' felt obvious to me, which was a shame as I was genuinely surprised by Hans being a bad guy in the first film. There was a lot stuffed into this film and there's a lot I wanted to see more of, like the story of Anna and Elsa's parents. The only standout song is Into the Unknown; I don't think any of the others have quite the same sing-along-able quality. Kristoff's song is VERY funny but it's quite a parody. The highlights for me were Olaf retelling the story of the first film, Kristoff's song, and the gorgeous water animation. I liked it, but I think the story is a bit weak.

As we're nearing Christmas, I feel it's worth mentioning a film I worked on! This summer I was a clean up artist (someone who neatens up the animator's work) on Klaus, which is now out on Netflix. It's a Santa Claus origin story and I think it's pretty good, though of course I had a hand in making it.
AJAiken
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Christmas Countdown 2019!

Postby Movie Aristotle » Dec 02, 2019 8:46 pm

Just popping in to say that I watched The Nutcracker and the Four Realms yesterday. I saw it last year and didn’t exactly like it. I’m not sure why I watched it again. ;))

I also finally saw A Wrinkle in Time and must say that I enjoyed it. But, maybe that is because I hadn’t read the book first. ;)
Movie Aristotle
Movie Aristotle
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » Dec 10, 2019 9:27 pm

I had the opportunity to watch Klaus the other day and enjoyed it, AJ. I made sure to look for your name in the credits.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Cleander » Dec 12, 2019 1:16 pm

I must say I'm intrigued that one of the first new originals on the Disney+ streaming service is a live-action film called "Togo." It chronicles the real-life story of Togo, the leading sled dog who made the longest and most dangerous stretch of the journey to bring medicines to the diphtheria-stricken city of Nome.
I guess I'm interested because "Balto" was pretty much my favorite animated movie growing up. (Though I might be somewhat miffed by the fact that the new movie doesn't feature a talking snow goose with a Russian accent. :( )
PM me to join the Search for the Seven Swords!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Find it on the Talk About Narnia Forum!
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

PreviousNext