This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The Movies Thread!

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: The Movies Thread!

Postby Bookwyrm » Sep 06, 2015 10:00 pm

I think Branaugh would be a pretty good pick for that movie. I'm actually kind of surprised it's taken so long to get a movie in the works and I wonder if that might hurt its chances. Fantasy movies aren't really a thing anymore now, though I suppose they might be hoping the new Harry Potter movie will relaunch the genre.
Bookwyrm
Moderator Emeritus
Lord of the Little Ponies

Postby jayce76 » Sep 21, 2015 2:20 pm

I saw Tomorrowland a few weeks ago and thought it was great. Not just great but a wonderful, heartwarming film, much like a Princess Bride type movie. Shame Disney puled the plug on future installments & the upcoming Tron 3 because it didn't do well at the B.O. :((

---------------------------------------------------
I'm on Google! https://plus.google.com/111116349396920152635/posts
jayce76
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby daughter of the King » Oct 03, 2015 1:25 pm

I just got back from seeing The Martian. It was excellent. There was a lot less science talk than there was in the book, but trimming it down worked well for the pacing. Good cast, good score, good graphics, good everything really.
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal
daughter of the King
Princess Dot

Postby fantasia » Oct 11, 2015 5:27 am

I've had a lot of friends enjoy The Martian. I have not seen it and I'm not particularly interested. But my husband read the book last weekend thanks to all the hype of the movie, and he really enjoyed the book. So a viewing of the movie may be in his future at least and I suppose I might watch it as well. ;))

The most recent movie I've managed to watch (not counting anything Curious George related, thanks to my kiddo), is The Secret of Kells. My brother and sister were after me for years to watch this movie and I noticed Netflix had it on streaming. I REALLY enjoyed it, so I'm glad they talked me into it.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Shadowlander » Oct 13, 2015 9:31 pm

FK wrote:I've had a lot of friends enjoy The Martian. I have not seen it and I'm not particularly interested. But my husband read the book last weekend thanks to all the hype of the movie, and he really enjoyed the book. So a viewing of the movie may be in his future at least and I suppose I might watch it as well.

Think of The Martian as a futuristic retelling of Robinson Crusoe. With lots of science. I read the book before I knew there was a movie being made, and loved it. I just need to find some time to sneak out and go see it ;))
Kennel Keeper of Fenris Ulf

Shadowlander
Moderator Emeritus
This Space For Rent

Postby Puddleglum » Oct 23, 2015 10:41 pm

1934 Scarlet Pimpernel is by far one of the greatest of classic films EVER! Right up there with 1950 Cyrano de Bergerac.
On a more modern movie, The Mrs., and I just saw "The Intern". It was a very pleasant suprise of a movie. De Niro, and Hathaway were perfect in the roles they played. About the only downside was some of the more "suggestive" scenes that only distracted from the main story.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby fantasia » Nov 06, 2015 4:48 pm

I'm not quite sure if I should post here or the video game thread, but it seems more appropriate here.

The trailer for the Warcraft movie is out and it looks.... good? ;)) I say that with great hesitation because video game movies are usually sub par, and for a video game movie, I think this one looks really good.

Here's the thing, Blizzard (Warcraft's creator) puts out good stuff, but they release it at the speed of a snail. If this movie had come out 10 years ago when the game was at its peak, it would crush the box office. But Warcraft is kind of old news, so.... will all of the old time gamers come out and watch it? I know I'm interested.
But the bigger question, will anybody who didn't play some form of Warcraft be interested? Probably not, but if it's groundbreaking in its category, then perhaps so.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby wolfloversk » Nov 06, 2015 11:17 pm

I don't think I've posted this yet, but I was totally blown away when AstroWolfD and I went to go see Jurassic World this past summer. It was well worth the 14 year wait. I loved the raptors and how intelligent they were[/quote] and I'm glad that some script rumors that floated around didn't come to play, but you could see where the movie may have been inspired from them and vice-versa [spoiler]this pertains to the Indominus Rex and the guy who wanted to use the dinosaurs in military operations, I won't say the rumor here because it makes the green mist seem book purist by comparison :P .

Also, finished the Harry Potter movies for the first time. I had never read the books, and just started reading them after I finished DH part II. It's been interesting to see what's the same and what was changed or added for the movie as it wasn't always what I expected. Also I have high, high praise for the soundtrack.

My other summer (now fall) project has been working on getting through Star Wars. I saw Episode One three years ago in college (I would have started with IV, but couldn't rent it at the time). I have since seen the first trilogy, Episode II, and the Clone Wars movie. I have high praise for everything except they really scripted Anakin poorly in Episode II, he was much better done in Episode I and in Clone Wars. I recognize who he ends up being, but they still need the primary character to remain likable, and I feel like they partly failed on that point. I think the acting there was alright; it was primarily a script issue. Also wondering, still, why Jar Jar gets so much hate, but maybe I'll find out in Episode III which is on order from the library. This is of course leading up to The Force Awakens which I'm hoping to see with Astro in January :)

Really glad to hear positive thoughts on The Martian, I want to see that one when it's out on DVD.

Other movies I want to see, but haven't yet:
- Max
- Divergent
- maybe The Hunger Games
- The rest of the Indiana Jones series
- Pirates of the Caribbean 2,3 & 4
- Tomorrowland
- Basically anything Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Superhero, or Mystery that I haven't seen (though mystery films I haven't really delved into much, yet) :P
- Various Horse movies (Misty, The Black Stallion, Flicka etc.)

PS. I am still crying over Tron 3 :((
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby stargazer » Nov 12, 2015 3:38 pm

I've not played any form of Warcraft, fantasia, but I'm somewhat familiar with it and other MMOs (notably Guild Wars as I've watched some friends play it). I think the trailer looks pretty good but will probably wait for word-of-mouth reviews.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby parableproductions » Nov 16, 2015 8:03 pm

It's rare that there are several movies on the horizon that I actually want to go see in the theater - but, there are 3 coming out in the next few months. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2 (and it will be out on Friday!), Star Wars: The Force Awakens (gosh, I hope it's good!) and The Divergent Series: Allegiant (it isn't out until March - but that's just a few months).

Meanwhile, I'm enjoying Netflix and watching To Kill a Mockingbird, Take Me Out to the Ballgame, and Anchors Aweigh.
Further up and further in!!
parableproductions
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby jayce76 » Nov 17, 2015 1:29 pm

wolfloversk wrote:I don't think I've posted this yet, but I was totally blown away when AstroWolfD and I went to go see Jurassic World this past summer. It was well worth the 14 year wait. I loved :P

Yes! I Loved it. So much fun. Pure popcorn delight. The action, effects, pace were all top notch. Glad to hear someone else on the boards digged it as much as I did. :ymhug:

My other summer project has been working on getting through Star Wars. I saw Episode One three years ago in college (I would have started with IV, but couldn't rent it at the time). I have since seen the first trilogy, Episode II, and the Clone Wars movie. I have high praise for everything except [spoiler]they really scripted Anakin poorly in Episode II, he was much better done in Episode I and in Clone Wars. I recognize who he ends up being, but they still need the primary character to remain likable, and I feel like they partly failed on that point. I think the acting there was alright; it was primarily a script issue.

Oh boy, . . . . your gonna enjoy Episode III. I think "Revenge of the Sith" is really the best crafted of the Prequel Installments. The director really stepped it up a notch and it's one of the best Star Wars movies. Good stuff . . . :ymapplause:

jayce76
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Lady Haleth » Nov 18, 2015 8:28 am

Star Wars Episode 3 has some really great music. :)
The Martian was cool. :) I saw it last weekend.
My favorite parts were:
The running joke about Commander Lewis' disco music. The aerodynamics expert and his plan. Watney cracking jokes about botany. The Iron Man reference. The joke about the 'Council of Elrond'.
The glory of God is man fully alive--St. Iraneus
Salvation is a fire in the midnight of the soul-Switchfoot
Lady Haleth
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby SnowAngel » Nov 18, 2015 9:01 pm

Mmmm, maybe I don't belong in this thread since I am totally not a Star Wars fan.

My sisters and I are loving our DVR right now, Hallmark movies were never as much fun to watch as they are now. So far this Christmas movie season we have watched 'Tis The Season For Love, Ice Sculpture Christmas, A Royal Christmas, and a couple others that I don't remember their titles. We have had a blast watching them together and laughed a whole lot. :)

We are very much looking forward to Murder She Baked: A Plum Pudding Mystery, it's the second movie in the series, that's premiering on Sunday night. We really enjoyed the first movie (A Chocolate Chip Cookie Mystery).

SnowAngel
We are too prone to engrave our trials in marble
and write our blessings in sand. — C.H. Spurgeon
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby fantasia » Dec 10, 2015 4:17 pm

I'm kind of excited after seeing the trailer for 'The BFG'. It's the only Roald Dahl book I've read. :ymblushing: And the first trailer showed promise. :)
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby SnowAngel » Jan 13, 2016 4:43 pm

Much to my brother's displeasure and myself and sisters' delight the Hallmark Movies and Mysteries has three new mystery movies premiering this month. :D The first two movies were Garage Sale Mystery: Guilty Until Proven Innocence and Murder She Baked: A Peach Cobbler Mystery. My favorite was A Peach Cobbler Mystery, pretty sure Murder She Baked is the best original mystery series on HM&M.

The third movie premieres this Sunday and is the start of a new series: Flower Shop Mystery: Mum's The Word. It looks interesting.

SnowAngel
We are too prone to engrave our trials in marble
and write our blessings in sand. — C.H. Spurgeon
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Jan 14, 2016 4:53 pm

wolfloversk wrote:Also, finished the Harry Potter movies for the first time. I had never read the books, and just started reading them after I finished DH part II. It's been interesting to see what's the same and what was changed or added for the movie as it wasn't always what I expected. Also I have high, high praise for the soundtrack.

I wonder if you have heard the news that Alan Rickman, who played Severus Snape in the Harry Potter movies, amid other movie characters, died yesterday from cancer. He was only 69, and, like the recent death of David Bowie, his death has been quite a shock.

As a matter of interest it was Benedict Clarke who played the young Snape in the Harry Potter films. I wondered if it was the same actor who played the character Kylo Ren in the most recent Star Wars Movie was him, but I don't think it was. It was Adam Driver, but there was such a sneaky resemblance to Severus Snape I couldn't resist commenting about it

Has anyone seen a 1983 movie called Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence, which starred David Bowie? It isn't one of your nice child-friendly Christmas movies though, as it is about a Japanese prisoner-of-war camp in the South East Asia region of the world.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

PreviousNext