This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

CampNaNoWriMo--July '15

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: CampNaNoWriMo--April '15

Postby SummerSnow » Apr 23, 2015 9:14 am

I'm pretty sure it is Central European Time. I'm not sure how that is in relation to you, though.
My lovely avatar was made by Valia!
SummerSnow
NarniaWeb Junkie
The WC Submersible Subterfuge Sub

Postby Varnafinde » Jun 29, 2015 2:04 pm

So there's another Camp Nanowrimo in July - I have signed up this time, to continue what I started in November last year.

Anyone else who will join?
(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)
Varnafinde
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum

Postby shastastwin » Jun 29, 2015 2:09 pm

I'm signed up to do some more work on the book I wrote half of for NaNo a couple of years back. Since it's the second in a series, I wanted to get the first one closer to finished (i.e. through another round of edits) before really getting a whole draft of this one together. [The NaNo draft hit 50k words, but was a sporadically written draft that was by no means complete. It jumped around all over the timeline.]

I've already started working on it, but I'm setting a goal of 20k new words during Camp NaNo. I'll take a word count before Camp starts and subtract from my final total anything I pull from the older NaNo draft to be sure I meet my goal.
"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you..."
Inexhaustible Inspiration
shastastwin
Moderator Emeritus
Saint Schwinn

Postby Varnafinde » Jun 29, 2015 2:47 pm

I'm not at all sure what word count to set for it. Since Camp seems to be much more free than November, I guess I can set say 30k words now, and then change it in the needed direction towards the end of the month when I see where I am.

I've registered my project as non-fiction, as it's meant to be biographical, but still in the form of a story book. I want to have a first draft ready by August, and then have somebody look at it, to see whether it's worth doing further work on. If it is - then the editing begins, with most likely a whole lot of rewriting ...

I'm posting as Wise Queen on NaNo.
Varnafinde

Postby wild rose » Jun 30, 2015 7:07 am

For this Camp session I was going to continue writing the novel I started for last camp, but then I lost the inspiration and decided to do something new ;))

I'm going to be working on a novel exploring the life of a young gypsy girl living in the 1930s/1940s in Holland. Because I'm going to be doing a lot of traveling this July I made a word goal of 30k, even though I think the novel will be longer, I don't think I'll get much more written. :)
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby Meltintalle » Jun 30, 2015 12:16 pm

I'm hoping to pull off a second draft of an old NaNo novel in July. It's like... Robin Hood meets Prisoner of Zenda meets Indiana Jones with an obnoxious know-it-all protagonist. :p

I've poked at the opening several times, but it's the ending that needs work. I'm pretty excited about finally reading a better version of the story but not so excited about writing it. ;))

My goal is 50k. Or a complete outline, whichever comes first.
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Re: CampNaNoWriMo--July '15

Postby stargazer » Jun 30, 2015 4:35 pm

That sounds like a fun story, Mel!

My NaNo project from last November is now close to 50k words (better late than never, eh? ;)) ). I'm still working on it and will do so in July as my schedule permits.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby wild rose » Aug 01, 2015 11:20 am

so the second session of CampNaNoWriMo has finished and I barely made it. Because we did so much traveling and I had a large sewing order to complete, I wasn't able to write as much as I had hoped. And with a week long camping trip I really got behind. We came home yesterday and I had two hours of July left to get 5000 words written. It was so funny, everyone was tired, slowly beginning to unpack and take showers and I rushed to the computer and started typing away at the keyboard furiously. ;)) I got it done in time :D 30k (30,090 to be exact). My brother in law particularly couldn't stop teasing me about how I glued myself to the computer, but hey, I got it done and that is the main thing.

I didn't finish the novel though, but I won't get a chance to work on it until the end of August. I'm leaving on the fourth to be a camp leader, and with 20 kids under my care, I don't think writing is going to be something on my to do list ;)) . So My Gypsy girl and Jewish boy will have to wait till I get back before I finish their story :) I'm glad I was able to complete my word count though, even with the crazy schedule I had this July :)
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby Varnafinde » Aug 01, 2015 1:00 pm

I changed from 30 000 words down to 10 000, and even with that, I only barely made it. I haven't finished the story, but I do have something that I'll be happy to give to the editor (when she's back from her summer holidays), to see whether she thinks it's good enough to continue with.

I wanted to change the goal even further down to 7500 words, but I only saw that after the winning period had started (on July 20, I think), and then it was not allowed to change it any more. If I do this again, I should consider just before that deadline whether my word count goal needs changing :p
Varnafinde

Previous