This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The Christmas Cinema: Christmas Movies 2014

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

The Christmas Cinema: Christmas Movies 2014

Postby AstroWolfD » Dec 15, 2014 8:09 pm

Fellow Narnians,

it is once again time to break out those DVDs (VHS tapes even, if any of you have kept that link to the past like I have), or simply tune in, because 'tis the season for Christmas movies!

We all have our favorites. That movie that simply must be watched when the time rolls around. Maybe there are some that you can't stand :P Either way, this is the place to talk about them. On Christmas day I'll post a piece of trivia and/or music (or other fun thing) about whichever movie gets the most love :)

My favorite? Well that would be the classic Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer! It has such a special feel to it. There are a few that are close, but I'll save those for as the days go on ;)

Thank you to those who allowed me the privilege of opening this thread, and as we get ready for a very joyous time of year, the very best to all!
Avi and sig by the Wonderful wolfloversk

AROOOOOOO!!!
AstroWolfD
NarniaWeb Guru
Guard Wolf of the NW WC

Re: The Christmas Cinema: Christmas Movies 2014

Postby Shadowlander » Dec 16, 2014 4:48 pm

Given time I have quite a slate full of Christmas movies I keep on my shelves at the ready for December viewing. :D

Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, Elf, National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, A Christmas Story, Die Hard (YES, it's a Christmas film! An action-packed Christmas film! B-) ), Home Alone (the only Christmas film I've watched this year so far... :ymblushing: ), and my personal favorite It's a Wonderful Life. That's probably going to be saved for last because it's my favorite. :D
Kennel Keeper of Fenris Ulf

Shadowlander
Moderator Emeritus
This Space For Rent

Postby 220chrisTian » Dec 22, 2014 3:30 pm

Here are my "top 5" favorite Christmas films (in chronological order). The article below explains why, so read it. ;)

1. Christmas in Connecticut (1945)
2. It's a Wonderful Life (1946)
3. Little Women (1994)
4. LWW (2005)
5. The Nativity Story (2006)

http://artsandculturereviews.wordpress. ... as-movies/

I watched The Christmas Candle (2013) on DVD two weeks ago. Read my review in the link below. [-( I recommend Christmas Oranges (2012) and Silent Night (2012) instead. I watched all three films after writing the blog post above.

http://artsandculturereviews.wordpress. ... -delusion/

I used to watch a lot of Christmas cartoons but I gave up on TV. Now I stick with news, weather, sports, and the occasional film. I still like Rudolph, the Grinch (cartoon), Frosty, and Peanuts. :)
220chrisTian

Postby Anfinwen » Dec 26, 2014 12:00 pm

The movie "Shop around the Corner" is on of my Christmas favorites. It's a lesser known Jimmy Stewart movie that takes place in Hungary. The story focuses on the employes of a small department-store type shop.

Shadowlander wrote: and my personal favorite It's a Wonderful Life. That's probably going to be saved for last because it's my favorite.

That's my parents' favorite, but it gets so sad! I do love the beginning and the end, just not the middle. :(
Formerly The Lady Arwen Undómiel
Anfinwen
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby AstroWolfD » Dec 27, 2014 4:53 am

Shadowlander wrote:Die Hard (YES, it's a Christmas film! An action-packed Christmas film! B-) )

Ahaha, I was hoping someone would bring that up! :D

220chrisTian wrote:Here are my "top 5" favorite Christmas films (in chronological order). The article below explains why, so read it. ;)

1. Christmas in Connecticut (1945)
2. It's a Wonderful Life (1946)
3. Little Women (1994)
4. LWW (2005)
5. The Nativity Story (2006)

Haha, done! :) LWW needs to be on any Christmas viewing list.

Anfinwen wrote:The movie "Shop around the Corner" is on of my Christmas favorites. It's a lesser known Jimmy Stewart movie that takes place in Hungary. The story focuses on the employes of a small department-store type shop.

I've heard of that one! Must add it to my watch list.

Great choices if I do say so myself. As was every movie you guys mentioned. So many movies, so little time right? I know I only got to watch a couple on my list this year. But hey, that's what the rest of the twelve days of Christmas are for, right? ;)

Well I am a bit tardy, but it seems like It's a Wonderful Life and Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer were tied for most mentions! I must say, I approve ;) Well as promised, things you may not know about both (but you probably do :P )

The first episode of the famous Batman: The Animated Series, takes place on Christmas Eve. In this episode (which also originated the famous "Jingle Bells, Batman smells..." ) Robin repeatedly tries to get Batman to sit down and watch It's a Wonderful Life with him.

On to Rudolph! For one, as many of you might know, the famous song about the titular character predates the movie by 25 years. Also if you take a close look, the Roman Numeric copyright date in the opening credits reads MCLXIV (1164) instead of MCMLXIV (1964). Go take a look!

Avi and sig by the Wonderful wolfloversk

AROOOOOOO!!!
AstroWolfD
NarniaWeb Guru
Guard Wolf of the NW WC