This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

fairs, State, and County

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

fairs, State, and County

Postby Puddleglum » Aug 18, 2014 7:01 pm

Hope this doesn't catch too many County Fairs too late. Just returned from Michigan's U.P., and realized that they have their own State Fair.
Minnesota will be officially opening it's big shindig this Thursday.
so once again the question can be asked of all Narnians out there, be you country folk, or just like deep fried stuff that passes for food, what are your plans?
Do you attend regularly?
What are your favorite attractions?
Any past memories? ( Good, or just memorable).
Any awards?
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Re: fairs, State, and County

Postby fantasia » Aug 19, 2014 8:20 am

Glad you opened this thread Puddleglum. :) I was just thinking about it a couple days ago. It is that time!

Well, due to circumstances beyond my control, I'm not sure I'll even be able to attend the Kansas State Fair this year, let alone enter stuff. :( Pretty bummed about that, but there's nothing I can do. I will see if I can talk somebody into taking my kiddo so he can ride the train. That was his very favorite part last year. ;)) We also took him down the big slide and on the ferris wheel. He wasn't as into those, but he also didn't seem scared, so maybe whoever takes him this year will have to try again. I'll just have to live vicariously through my son this year. ;)
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby stargazer » Aug 19, 2014 11:56 am

I hope your son is able to attend, fantasia!

County fairs are a rather big deal here in the Upper Midwest, and I grew up in a small town which hosted the county fair. But we only went a few times, as I recall (random side note: when I graduated high school, the grandstand at the fairgrounds was the only place big enough for the crowds. But it was outside, and the year I graduated, rain threatened. I've never heard someone read 450 names so fast. ;)) The rain held off until we were walking out to the car).

After moving to the Twin Cities I began attending the State Fair. I've attended at least once a year for...well, a long time. ;)) The friends I often go with weren't even married when we started, and now they have teenage kids. (It was fun going when the kids were little - it was all new and exciting to them, and it was nice seeing it through a kid's eyes. Sometimes they even asked me to go on the kiddie rides with them).

I've never entered anything in a fair. We just walk around, looking at the animals, the midway attractions, and marveling at how they keep finding new things to deep-fry and put on a stick. The DNR building is a place we always go since we're interested in state parks and other outdoor things, and climbing its fire tower gives an interesting perspective on the tens of thousands of people filling the place (daily attendance can exceed 200,000 on weekends. Whew!)

We'll be going on opening day this year (Thursday), as one of the kids' school marching band will be performing in the parade.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Puddleglum » Aug 22, 2014 7:28 pm

the Mrs., and I are planning on going this Sunday to the State Fair. If all goes well we will stay dry, and have cool drinks handy.
We were able to get a coupon book for different items throughout the fair, including food. One of the new items I noticed was called Reuben Balls. If it's as good as the sandwich it will be worth the expence.
One big attraction is the "Miracle of Birth" building. There are a variety of farm animals that people can come and see giving birth, from chicks hatching to cows . It is something see the looks on childrens faces, and some adults as well.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » Aug 28, 2014 6:43 pm

How was your trip, Puddleglum?

The Miracle of Birth building has been an occasional stop for us, especially when the kids were little. The baby animals are just irresistible.

We went opening day, and it was very humid with heavy rain around 5.30 am, just as the gates opened. This kept attendance down (about 94,000 that day) but it was still a fun time.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Sep 01, 2014 6:44 pm

We normally have an annual local fair, or more properly, an agricultural show, being the main district centre for what used to be a country municipality or shire, but has long been a city in its own right.

Until a few years back it was held about March, when it rained, if it does. It also conflicted with the Royal Easter show, and so was held in August, which is late winter here and usually drier. We were told that this show was to be held the weekend before last, and so the rains came pouring down, after an especially dry winter.

Last weekend, the show finally was held, and it was still drizzly, showery weather, which stopped on Sunday afternoon, of course, when the annual show was just about finished. Just in time for yesterday, 1st September, the first day of Spring. It looked fine, with an interesting line up of carnival rides that I'm not allowed to go on any more. :((
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby stargazer » Sep 02, 2014 1:16 pm

wagga, state and county fairs here (at least in the Midwest US) also began as agricultural exhibitions, with people showing produce, animals, and the like for judging, and vendors demonstrating new farm equipment for sale.

The state fair here has morphed in the past decades to reflect the increasingly urban character of its attendees, with fewer and fewer farm machinery vendors and more home improvement, automobile, and food vendors. Nevertheless, the northeast section of the fairgrounds retains the name 'Machinery Hill' from the days when the big farm stuff was shown there, and there are still lots of animals, produce, and homemade crafts to look at.
stargazer

Postby Meltintalle » Sep 02, 2014 5:08 pm

gazer wrote: ...and more... food vendors.
You can't go more than two or three steps without seeing some sort of food. ;))

The most interesting thing I did at the state fair (apparently I am super good at missing the interesting stuff :ymblushing: ) was visit the historical newspaper museum and watch the stunt dog/water long jump show. It was fascinating watching them ink the plate... two swipes with a paintbrush and then the roller spread it out while the plate swiveled with each cycle of the press.

The rest of the time I just walked around and looked the 4-H projects and different vendors. Hear-tell says the purple ribbon performance and speech exhibits in the 4-H building were really good this year, as was Arts-In...

However, I did try the wild rice cheeseburger. It was good! :D
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby Shadowlander » Sep 02, 2014 5:45 pm

Our County Fair is going to be in town in 2 weeks and I'm rather excited about it. I love going although we just never really get a chance to. But I think this year the little one might be old enough to go and see the sights. Lots of animals and fair foods, and the ferris wheel and a few other rides I'm sure she'd like. I kind of hope we go the day they have the demolition derby ;)).
Kennel Keeper of Fenris Ulf

Shadowlander
Moderator Emeritus
This Space For Rent

Postby fantasia » Sep 03, 2014 6:11 pm

I think my husband is going to take my son this weekend. :) Should be fun to hear how that goes... ;))

The good news is that the high for the day is only going to be about 75F/23C, but there's also 40% chance for storms so they may be rained out.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby fantasia » Sep 07, 2014 7:19 am

My favorite text from yesterday:
My Husband wrote:Doin good, Evan had some pronto pup, cheese on a stick, and purple pride ice cream :-) , and we went down the slide 3 times in a row...I had to walk him away or id still be there.

:))

I guess he also played in the water feature (it's supposed to be played in), looked at the bunnies and birds (bunnies were cool, birds were boring), and went on the train. Although I saw the video of him on the train and the poor little guy was bushed and about to fall asleep. I guess he did conk out leaving the fair. It was a big and busy day for him. :D
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Shadowlander » Sep 07, 2014 3:55 pm

Did Evan try out any fair food? Piglet racing? My kid would get a big kick out of that I think ;))
Kennel Keeper of Fenris Ulf

Shadowlander
Moderator Emeritus
This Space For Rent

Postby Puddleglum » Sep 07, 2014 7:44 pm

Sorry getting back to the Narniaweb. Been a little busy of late.
Anyway.
we did get to the Miracle of Birth building, but nothing was really going on at the moment as all of the mothers amongst the sheep,and goats apparently decided to foal within a two hour period before sunrise.
I guess they were a little camera shy.
Food was palatable this year, with few complaints. Whatever came on a stick had the required calories to keep the energy levels up for a lot of hiking. Or at least a lot of start-stop-start walking through crowds.
I even tried alligator this year with Hush-Puppies, ( No. Not the shoe kind ).
Only dissapointment was the older sib not getting his entry in on time for a wood project this year.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby fantasia » Aug 02, 2015 3:00 pm

Time to bump this thread again as our fair is right around the corner. Hard to believe!
I didn't get to go last year as I was on bedrest, but this year I plan to enjoy every facet the fair has to offer. ;)
I don't know if I'll enter any contests as I'm so busy, but I ought to sign up for something just to get discounted tickets. :P
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby stargazer » Aug 28, 2015 4:12 pm

I joined over 110,000 people at the Minnesota State Fair yesterday. The weather was quite pleasant and we enjoyed the usual fair foods and exhibits.

Each year I do try to find something new to try, and this year it was Poutine (Billed as "tasty, eh?" ;)) )

I had to look it up on wikipedia after I got home to learn about it. It's French fries, cheese curds (not deep-fried) and gravy all served together. Pretty tasty, actually, but rather salty. ("Canadian junk food" is how some describe it, according to the wiki). (I recalled that it came up in the Cultural Curiosities" thread and reviewed some of the comments there too).

However, I did try the wild rice cheeseburger. It was good! :D

That is one of my 'must-have' items.
stargazer

Postby Puddleglum » Sep 03, 2015 6:53 pm

Made it to the "Great Minnesota Get Together" last Saturday. It actually started out rather chilly, and really didn't get warm until late afternnon.
I had nothing entered this year, but my brother had several items in the woodworking division. Unfortunatly he only won a forth place.
Food was always plentyfull, though we tried to eat in moderation, it is frequently a loosing war.
I also noticed that there were a great many hornets in attendance. I did not hear of anyone getting stung, but would not be suprised if someone did as they wer being very persistent.
One great dissapointment was the previlance of beer. It seemed to be served everywhere, and the Mrs. was unfortunatly spilled upon by one individual who had not the grace to apologize [-(
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Next