The Fascinating World of Personality Types

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: The Fascinating World of Personality Types

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Feb 09, 2014 10:45 pm

Those personality type prayers are very funny, Arwenel! :))

Arwenel wrote:INFJ: Lord help me not be a perfectionist. (did I spell that correctly?)


That is so true. The amount of times I'll read over a post to check for spelling errors.... 8-| ;)) Usually my INFJ prayers tend to oscillate between something along the lines of "Lord, help me be perfect!" and "Lord, help me stop expecting myself to be perfect!" :ymblushing:

For Harry Potter fans, I thought this chart of personality types within the HP universe was interesting. It's been so long since I've read the books, though, I can't really say for sure whether the typing is accurate or not.
Image
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
User avatar
The Rose-Tree Dryad
Moderator
 
Posts: 4159
Joined: Aug 21, 2010
Location: A secret garden
Gender: Female

Re: The Fascinating World of Personality Types

Postby Ithilwen » Feb 09, 2014 11:14 pm

The Rose-Tree Dryad wrote:For Harry Potter fans, I thought this chart of personality types within the HP universe was interesting. It's been so long since I've read the books, though, I can't really say for sure whether the typing is accurate or not.

Some of them are pretty accurate. Others not at all. ;)) The problem is the picture tries to find a character to match each type. But the truth is, not every personality type is represented in the Harry Potter series, and some types are represented by multiple characters.

I think a more accurate typing of the characters would be as follows (the ones that differ from the picture are in italics):

Severus Snape: ISTJ
Neville Longbottom: ISFJ
Remus Lupin: INFP
Draco Malfoy: ESTP or ESTJ
Harry Potter: ISTP
Rubeus Hagrid: ESFP
Luna Lovegood: ISFP
Hermione Granger: INTJ or ENTJ
Ginny Weasley: ??? (I don't remember her well enough to type her)
Fred and George Weasley: ESFP
Ron Weasley: ENFP
Sirius Black: ESTP
Minerva McGonagall: ISTJ
Lily Evans-Potter: ??? (I didn't see enough of her to be able to tell)
Albus Dumbledore: ENFJ
James Potter: Possibly ENTJ, but it could also be ESTP. We don't get to know him too well.


~Riella =:)
User avatar
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot
 
Posts: 5885
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.
Gender: Female

Re: The Fascinating World of Personality Types

Postby IloveFauns » Feb 10, 2014 3:58 am

I got INTJ:

You have strong preference of Introversion over Extraversion (78%)
You have strong preference of Intuition over Sensing (88%)
You have strong preference of Thinking over Feeling (88%)
You have slight preference of Judging over Perceiving (22%)


Here is the hobbit version:

http://marissabaker.files.wordpress.com ... =640&h=800

I like the idea of being an elfish mastermind.


Also a Sherlock one:

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/ ... e91885.jpg

I have got mycroft in 2 of the 3 online Sherlock quizzes.
User avatar
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot
 
Posts: 6427
Joined: Aug 22, 2008
Gender: Female

Re: The Fascinating World of Personality Types

Postby SnowAngel » Feb 10, 2014 4:05 pm

Shadowlander wrote:
INFJ: Lord help me not be a perfectionist. (did I spell that correctly?)

:))

Nicely done! And as an ISTJ I usually say "Please God help me deal with inefficient supervisors handing down silly, and ultimately useless changes to processes that don't need em'". ;))
LOL! I have wonder why you remind so much of my older brother and now I know why!

I am definitely an ISFP. We for sure have ISFJ, ESFJ, INFP, ISTJ, INFJ, and ISFP at our house, the rest of the personalities are still developing. :)

SnowAngel
Image
Never spend your time in such a way that you would not
like to have God say, "What are you doing? - J.C. Ryle
User avatar
SnowAngel
Moderator
Maiden of Monday Madness
 
Posts: 1885
Joined: Oct 25, 2008
Location: United States
Gender: Female

Re: The Fascinating World of Personality Types

Postby daughter of the King » Feb 10, 2014 6:37 pm

The issue I have with personality type question type quizzes is that they don't get into the why behind an answer, which is probably why I've tested as every single possible combination that includes the letter I.

For example, I hate making plans, but I am always planning something out. I have to. I have numerous medical conditions that necessitate as much planning as possible in order to have as little pain as possible. Since I have been actively planning so long, it is now second nature to me, even though I still don't really like it. Where is the line?


I got an ISTJ on this test, which is I think is the second time I've gotten this combination. I (67%) S (12%) T (62%) J (56%)

The first few sections were okay, but this one is wrong:
ISTJs tend to believe in laws and traditions, and expect the same from others. They're not comfortable with breaking laws or going against the rules. If they are able to see a good reason for stepping outside of the established mode of doing things, the ISTJ will support that effort. However, ISTJs more often tend to believe that things should be done according to procedures and plans. If an ISTJ has not developed their Intuitive side sufficiently, they may become overly obsessed with structure, and insist on doing everything "by the book".

Laws and traditions can sometimes be there for a reason, but if I don't know the why and how behind that tradition, what's the point? Breaking the law is bad, especially the NWeb forum rules. ;) But I often find myself wanting to go against the set standard in traditions and societal expectations if there are no actual laws involved. A rule has to exist for a good reason before I would want to follow it rather than I would only break a rule for a good reason. Perhaps I don't have a narrow enough definition for "tradition"?

The ISTJ is not naturally in tune with their own feelings and the feelings of others. They may have difficulty picking up on emotional needs immediately, as they are presented. Being perfectionists themselves, they have a tendency to take other people's efforts for granted, like they take their own efforts for granted. They need to remember to pat people on the back once in a while.

On the contrary, I analyze everything, especially my own feelings! I am also often able to feel what others are feeling even if I don't want to. Sometimes I can turn the empathy off, and other times it hits me full throttle and I can't shake the effect. If you are really sad, I'll feel really sad, even if I don't know why you're feeling sad. As for being a perfectionist, well . . . maybe. Although, I think my days as a copy editor have more to do with seeing mistakes everywhere than anything else. I don't always care enough to make my sentences absolutely perfect if they're not being graded.

Looking over the long descriptions of the other personality types, I think I'm more a combination of an INTP (Thinker) and an ISTP (Mechanic), with the occasional urge to fulfill a duty (ISTJ) thrown in.

ISTPs are loyal to their causes and beliefs, and are firm believers that people should be treated with equity and fairness. Although they do not respect the rules of the "System", they follow their own rules and guidelines for behavior faithfully. They will not take part in something which violates their personal laws. ISTPs are extremely loyal and faithful to their "brothers".

This describes me a lot better. But I'm not great in a crisis situation and I'm definitely not an action-oriented person (which are other ISTP traits).

INTPs value knowledge above all else. Their minds are constantly working to generate new theories, or to prove or disprove existing theories. They approach problems and theories with enthusiasm and skepticism, ignoring existing rules and opinions and defining their own approach to the resolution. They seek patterns and logical explanations for anything that interests them.

Depends on the subject material, but this also nearly always applies to me. For instance, I love complex stories with plots and meta-plots and foreshadowing, and complicated timelines, but if one logical question can tear the entire premise apart I'm inclined to dislike the story and will only discuss it to pick apart all the reasons why it doesn't work. Most of INTP describes me pretty well, except for the "absent-minded professor" bit. I tend to be more grounded in reality than the definite INTP's that I know.

So, yeah. I think I'm an ISNTP. ;))
Image
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal
User avatar
daughter of the King
Moderator
Princess Dot
 
Posts: 2556
Joined: Sep 22, 2009
Gender: Female

Re: The Fascinating World of Personality Types

Postby Ithilwen » Feb 10, 2014 8:28 pm

daughter of the King wrote:The issue I have with personality type question type quizzes is that they don't get into the why behind an answer, which is probably why I've tested as every single possible combination that includes the letter I.

For example, I hate making plans, but I am always planning something out. I have to. I have numerous medical conditions that necessitate as much planning as possible in order to have as little pain as possible. Since I have been actively planning so long, it is now second nature to me, even though I still don't really like it. Where is the line?

Keep in mind, your personality type is an inherent part of you from birth. Outside circumstances (such as medical conditions, the way you were raised, personal experiences, etc.) do not determine or influence your type. Instead, your type influences how you react to outside circumstances.

With that in mind, think about the things you do. If you are forced to do something by someone or something, it is not your personality type that influenced you to do that thing; it has nothing to do with your personality type. In such a case, imagine if you were never forced. Imagine if it was completely up to you to choose. What would you choose to do? The answer to that question is the answer you should go with when trying to determine your type.

Laws and traditions can sometimes be there for a reason, but if I don't know the why and how behind that tradition, what's the point? Breaking the law is bad, especially the NWeb forum rules. ;) But I often find myself wanting to go against the set standard in traditions and societal expectations if there are no actual laws involved. A rule has to exist for a good reason before I would want to follow it rather than I would only break a rule for a good reason. Perhaps I don't have a narrow enough definition for "tradition"?

In that case, I'd say you're definitely not an SJ. In general, SJs are famous for being change-hating rule sticklers who will fight tooth and nail against anyone who tries to change cultural/societal norms. You say a rule has to have a good reason for you to want to follow it. They'd say there would have to be a good reason to ever deviate from a rule.

On the contrary, I analyze everything, especially my own feelings!

Analyzing everything is the very staple of an N, so I would probably rule out being an S.

T's in general do tend to be cut off from their feelings and the feelings of others, but I've definitely seen exceptions to that - especially when dealing with NTPs. One of my close friends is an ENTP, and my best friend in highschool was an INTP. Both of them are extremely empathetic.

Most of INTP describes me pretty well, except for the "absent-minded professor" bit. I tend to be more grounded in reality than the definite INTP's that I know.

I'd definitely say INTP. No one matches the description of their type 100% because it's just a generalization. Although, when it comes to the "absent-minded professor" bit, most NTPs I know show that aspect by being chronic daydreamers. They are still very grounded in reality.


~Riella =:)
User avatar
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot
 
Posts: 5885
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.
Gender: Female

Re: The Fascinating World of Personality Types

Postby IloveFauns » Feb 10, 2014 8:39 pm

I have found INTJ to be very close to who I actually am.

INTJ's tremendous value and need for systems and organization, combined with their natural insightfulness, makes them excellent scientists. An INTJ scientist gives a gift to society by putting their ideas into a useful form for others to follow. It is not easy for the INTJ to express their internal images, insights, and abstractions. The internal form of the INTJ's thoughts and concepts is highly individualized, and is not readily translatable into a form that others will understand. However, the INTJ is driven to translate their ideas into a plan or system that is usually readily explainable, rather than to do a direct translation of their thoughts. They usually don't see the value of a direct transaction, and will also have difficulty expressing their ideas, which are non-linear. However, their extreme respect of knowledge and intelligence will motivate them to explain themselves to another person who they feel is deserving of the effort.


This is very accurate of me. Many people don't understand my ideas until I explain them several times in different ways. I have also chosen to study a science based course at uni, so at least that adds up.

Other people may have a difficult time understanding an INTJ. They may see them as aloof and reserved. Indeed, the INTJ is not overly demonstrative of their affections, and is likely to not give as much praise or positive support as others may need or desire. That doesn't mean that he or she doesn't truly have affection or regard for others, they simply do not typically feel the need to express it. Others may falsely perceive the INTJ as being rigid and set in their ways. Nothing could be further from the truth, because the INTJ is committed to always finding the objective best strategy to implement their ideas. The INTJ is usually quite open to hearing an alternative way of doing something.


I find this to be very true. I am not set in my ways but people seem to think I am. They always say things like "you won't like this....because of this..." and I get very annoyed. I have found food/activities that people say I won't like very enjoyable.

I must say I am not one for expressing praise etc.. I want them to succeed but I just feel awkward doing such things. So the best You will get from me is that "you will be fine and good luck".

INTJs are natural leaders, although they usually choose to remain in the background until they see a real need to take over the lead. When they are in leadership roles, they are quite effective, because they are able to objectively see the reality of a situation, and are adaptable enough to change things which aren't working well. They are the supreme strategists - always scanning available ideas and concepts and weighing them against their current strategy, to plan for every conceivable contingency.


This is very like me when involved in group activities. Especially in school. I usually waited to see what others planned to do and only got involved if I thought there idea was not going to work or I had a much better one. I always finding myself taking control in such situations If no one else will(this is often and it can get very annoying).


so overall I am happy with the result and it explains why people have trouble understanding me and having to explain myself a lot. So please do not misjudge us INTJs.

@dotk I suppose one many of the traits tested you may be close to the 50% both ways which maybe why it is harder for you to relate to your type. I have very strong results for all the traits except for the Judging which was only a slight preference over perceiving. So I could relate to the personality type INTP nearly as much as INTJ.
User avatar
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot
 
Posts: 6427
Joined: Aug 22, 2008
Gender: Female

Re: The Fascinating World of Personality Types

Postby Ryadian » Feb 11, 2014 11:54 am

@Arwenel: ;)) Those "prayers" were pretty good! I have to admit that this one:

Arwenel wrote:ISFJ: Lord, help me to be more laid back and help me to do it EXACTLY right.


...yeah, it's a bit too accurate. ;))

Well, I also took the OCEAN test, and... the results were pretty much as I remember them. :P


O wrote:Openness to Experience/Intellect
High scorers tend to be original, creative, curious, complex; Low scorers tend to be conventional, down to earth, narrow interests, uncreative.
You are somewhat conventional. (Your percentile: 20)


Well... not so much. ;) I would consider myself conventional (in that I like to have rules to fall back on and work within), but far from down to earth. I guess that's why I got a "somewhat".

C wrote:Conscientiousness
High scorers tend to be reliable, well-organized, self-disciplined, careful; Low scorers tend to be disorganized, undependable, negligent.
You probably have a messy desk! (Your percentile: 17)


Yes, I do have a messy desk. The odd thing is, I love to come up with lists and rules for myself, I'm just very bad about following through. ;)) And I'm a stickler for things like formatting and spelling/grammar in my own writing. So yes, I can be disorganized and undependable, but I also like to organize and like to have things arranged a certain way. Go figure. :P

E wrote:Extraversion
High scorers tend to be sociable, friendly, fun loving, talkative; Low scorers tend to be introverted, reserved, inhibited, quiet.
You tend to shy away from social situations. (Your percentile: 27)


No argument there. ;)

A wrote:Agreeableness
High scorers tend to be good natured, sympathetic, forgiving, courteous; Low scorers tend to be critical, rude, harsh, callous.
You find it easy to criticize others. (Your percentile: 17)


Well, that's a nice thing to say about low scorers. ;) I admit, I am sometimes too critical, but I generally wouldn't dare be critical of someone I know personally (I'm much more likely to assign blame to "them", whoever "they" are).

N wrote:Neuroticism
High scorers tend to be nervous, high-strung, insecure, worrying; Low scorers tend to be calm, relaxed, secure, hardy.
You are a generally anxious person and tend to worry about things. (Your percentile: 84)


Oh, no question.

I think the test fairly accurately describes me in some areas, though... given my scores, I'm not sure I want to admit to that. ;))
N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren
User avatar
Ryadian
Moderator
 
Posts: 12179
Joined: Jun 10, 2004
Location: Minnesota, US
Gender: Female

Re: The Fascinating World of Personality Types

Postby Arwenel » Feb 11, 2014 12:42 pm

Well, i took another version of the Myers-Briggs, and this time i got INFJ ... which except for the I is completely the opposite of what i got from the test in the original post. ;)) I retook it, and got ISTJ (i think?) which was even more unlikely than INFJ. I'm pretty sure now i'm an F as opposed to a T, albeit a logically-thinking inclined one.

I'd say i'm done trying to figure out which one i am, but most likely in a couple weeks/months i'll end up taking the test again, re-reading the descriptions, etc. in the hope that someday one will click.
I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind
Some come from above, some come from behind
But I've bought a big bat, I'm all ready you see
Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!
~ Dr. Seuss
User avatar
Arwenel
NarniaWeb Guru
"We Mistborn need not make sense." (BC)
 
Posts: 1120
Joined: Oct 01, 2006
Location: Access Restricted
Gender: Female

Re: The Fascinating World of Personality Types

Postby IloveFauns » Feb 12, 2014 2:34 am

@arwenel maybe you are in between a few of the types especially if you don't have a strong score for some of the traits.
User avatar
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot
 
Posts: 6427
Joined: Aug 22, 2008
Gender: Female

Re: The Fascinating World of Personality Types

Postby Indil » Mar 21, 2014 3:07 pm

I'm an INFJ, and my dad, sister, boyfriend, and two of my best friends are all INTJs, which I find particularly funny/interesting/weird/cool.

I know this thread isn't in the Narnia section, but it was stated that this thread is also for talking about fictional characters Myers-Briggs personality types, so I'm curious as to what you all think various Narnia characters would be?

Also, I found an interesting post on the Harry Potter houses and Myers-Briggs (for those of you interested in Harry Potter: http://aroomofrequirement.wordpress.com ... -typology/
"Come," said the Magician. "All times may be soon to Aslan; but in my home all hungry times are one o'clock."
User avatar
Indil
NarniaWeb Newbie
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mar 15, 2014
Gender: Female

Re: The Fascinating World of Personality Types

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Mar 21, 2014 4:51 pm

Indil wrote:I know this thread isn't in the Narnia section, but it was stated that this thread is also for talking about fictional characters Myers-Briggs personality types, so I'm curious as to what you all think various Narnia characters would be?


That's a good idea! I'm not a mod, but I'm pretty sure that would be on-topic here. :) I'd love to take a crack at typing the four Pevensies, although it's been a while since I've read the books they appear in and I feel like I need a refresher on all their personalities before attempting to type them. Need to start a reread of the whole series soon. ;))

Indil wrote:Also, I found an interesting post on the Harry Potter houses and Myers-Briggs (for those of you interested in Harry Potter: http://aroomofrequirement.wordpress.com ... -typology/


That's very intriguing! I'm an INFJ, too, and I think it's quite interesting that it says my primary house is Ravenclaw and secondary house is Hufflepuff. I pretty much always get Hufflepuff on house quizzes, but usually Ravenclaw will come in as a close second. That's a really clever way to look at the Sorting Hat's method of sorting—admittedly, it's always been a mystery to me.

(Btw, I saw this was your first post—welcome to the forum!! :ymhug:)
Image
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
User avatar
The Rose-Tree Dryad
Moderator
 
Posts: 4159
Joined: Aug 21, 2010
Location: A secret garden
Gender: Female

Re: The Fascinating World of Personality Types

Postby Ithilwen » Mar 21, 2014 8:32 pm

Indil wrote:Also, I found an interesting post on the Harry Potter houses and Myers-Briggs (for those of you interested in Harry Potter: http://aroomofrequirement.wordpress.com ... -typology/

Hmm... I think that chart will be accurate in many cases, but inaccurate in many other cases. Personality type probably plays a big part in determining what house you're in, but there are many other factors as well.

It got me wrong. ;)) As an ENFJ, it says I belong in either Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff. But actually, I've always firmly belonged in Gryffindor. That blog post is very interesting; but when it comes to accuracy, nothing tops J.K. Rowling's own Sorting Hat Quiz on Pottermore. :)

Welcome to the the forum, by the way! :ymhug: We need more INFJs around here. ;) B-)


~Riella =:)
User avatar
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot
 
Posts: 5885
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.
Gender: Female

Re: The Fascinating World of Personality Types

Postby Indil » Mar 22, 2014 6:37 am

Thanks for the warm welcome! :)

I'm definitely in Hufflepuff! All of my INTJ friends are either definitely in Ravenclaw or Slytherin as well. I thought what was most interesting about it is just the fact that they were looking at Houses rather than specific characters, with Myers-Briggs, which allowed for interesting insight.

I could use a bit of a refresher myself, but I think I'll take a stab at it anyway:

Lucy - ESFx
I could see her being either J or P, similarly, I'm a bit iffy about the E.
Susan - ENTJ
social (though as previously discussed, does not necessarily mean E
and I could easily see her being I), likes to have a plan, and I think it's
NT which causes her to stop believing in Narnia
Edmund - ENFx
He craves attention/recognition, which makes me lean towards E. Bit
iffy on N, definitely follows feelings/emotions, and again stumped on J/P
Peter - ISTP
On this one well... This one just felt right, but then again, Peter was
never my favorite character, so my impression of him might be a bit off.

In the spirit of the Silver Chair coming out soon (well, soonish....):
Jill - INFJ
N is the only one I'm really iffy about here
Eustace - INTJ?
A little iffy on this entire one, but it sort of works.
Puddleglum - xxxx
I'll be honest, I don't even know where to start with Puddleglum.

All of these are totally open to discussion and modification by the way. I was just putting out some rough ideas to start with :)
"Come," said the Magician. "All times may be soon to Aslan; but in my home all hungry times are one o'clock."
User avatar
Indil
NarniaWeb Newbie
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mar 15, 2014
Gender: Female

Re: The Fascinating World of Personality Types

Postby Ithilwen » Mar 22, 2014 6:36 pm

Indil wrote:Lucy - ESFx
I could see her being either J or P, similarly, I'm a bit iffy about the E.

I honestly don't know about Lucy. Most of her character development revolves around her curiosity and how much she loves Aslan; and honestly, any personality type could fit that. All I know is she's an F.

Susan - ENTJ
social (though as previously discussed, does not necessarily mean E
and I could easily see her being I), likes to have a plan, and I think it's
NT which causes her to stop believing in Narnia

With this, it depends on if we're talking about Movie!Susan or Book!Susan, because the two of them are quite different. Movie!Susan was definitely INTJ, but Book!Susan was an F.

One has to be careful with the idea that someone would leave their faith behind because they're an NT. That can lead to the idea that religious people = F, and atheists = T. Spirituality transcends personality, and what belief system you ultimately choose depends solely on the strength of your relationship with Christ. And God doesn't form relationships with people based on their personality type.

There's also a misunderstanding about personality types that has risen in a lot of circles, that T = logic and rationality, and F = following your feelings. This is simply untrue. And as an F myself, I have to say that making opinions and decisions based on feelings, instead of what's logical and rational, is not only irresponsible but dangerous. And both T's and F's fall into this trap equally. Feelings are flighty and changing and can lead you anywhere. Being logical and rational simply means paying attention to the facts and what makes sense. Choosing one of these over another has nothing to do with personality type. (Good thing too, or all of us F's would be in big trouble. ;)) )

Rather, the difference between T and F is one is practical and the other personal. A T's main focus is on the situation - the plan or goal - and what it will take to achieve it. An F's focus is going to be on the people around them - whether or not everyone is comfortable, or (in the case of the more self-conscious F's) whether or not everyone might be judging them. T's are known for being blunt; in some cases, rude and biting. They don't care if they're hurting someone's feelings. They tell it like it is and do what needs to be done; and if anyone has a problem with it, they'd better put on their big girl panties and deal with it, because the T is certainly not going to cater to them or treat them like some special snowflake. F's on the other hand, are known for their empathy; they are the helpers and healers who feel born to serve others, and who will often refuse to do something if they feel it could hurt someone's feelings or cause a fight. F's thrive in caregiving, charity work, teaching, nursing, etc. T's thrive better where people are not directly involved - jobs where the work is not for anyone, but rather an end in itself, such as science; or work where people have to be outright disregarded to succeed, such as business. T's are good at climbing the corporate ladder because they know that nice guys finish last. They can fire workers without a qualm if that worker is unnecessary or getting in the way of the ultimate goal; they can do things F's wouldn't have the heart to do, in order to achieve success. A T's main fault is that they run over people, or act cruelly, in order to attain their goals. An F's main fault is they are not completely honest about their own opinions and wishes because they don't want to "make waves"; they are people pleasers who get run over. A T's main virtue is they get the dirty work done so that the world can continue working in an orderly fashion. An F's main virtue is they take care of people in need, value kindness, and genuinely like people.

With this in mind, we can see Movie!Susan is a T. She is very practical, and is not afraid to shout her opinion if she thinks one of her siblings is being an idiot or isn't handling something the right way. Who cares if it hurts their feelings! There are more important things to worry about right now. That's definitely T. Book!Susan, however, is different. She is very empathetic, being the one who is most bothered whenever they have to kill an animal for the sake of survival. And she is very motherly toward her younger siblings. "Susan the Gentle" is her nickname, not Susan the Practical. Kindness is her main focus. And when she's older, her main focus is socializing, and having others view her as being very grown up. These are all F qualities. Specifically, ESFP qualities. (Interestingly, one of my best friends growing up was an ESFP who reminded me very much of Susan. She was very kind, gentle, and motherly. When she grew up, she had the same fate as Susan - leaving her faith in God behind, trying to be "grown up", and focusing mainly on parties and friends.)

Edmund - ENFx
He craves attention/recognition, which makes me lean towards E. Bit
iffy on N, definitely follows feelings/emotions, and again stumped on J/P

Edmund is definitely a T. Empathy isn't exactly his strong point; plus he's got that lovable snarky, know-it-all quality about him. I'm going to say ENTP for him.

Peter - ISTP
On this one well... This one just felt right, but then again, Peter was
never my favorite character, so my impression of him might be a bit off.

Peter is really hard because he has such a good grasp on both his T and F sides. I suppose he could be an ISTP, but his penchant for taking charge and coming up with plans is more suggestive of J. I'm going to say he's an ESFJ with a strong T streak.

Jill - INFJ
N is the only one I'm really iffy about here

If she is, she's a very bitter INFJ. ;)) Her bluntness, which honestly crosses over into rudness many times, is more suggestive of T. I'm thinking INTJ.

Eustace - INTJ?
A little iffy on this entire one, but it sort of works.

The difficulty with this is Eustace is such a different person before and after his redemption. Before, he definitely exhibits INTJ behavior, but I think that is learned from his parents. Everything he says is something he basically parrots based on what he was taught, as most children do. After his redemption, I think we see a more "true Eustace", and this Eustace is surprisingly empathetic and kind. I'm pretty sure he's an NF, but I'm unsure about the other letters. My guess is INFP.

Puddleglum - xxxx
I'll be honest, I don't even know where to start with Puddleglum.

I'm going to say he's definitely ISTP.

Now how about the other characters? I'll have a go.

Aslan: ...I feel like it's almost blasphemous to try to assign him a type? ;))
Jadis: INTJ or ISTJ.
Digory: Hmm... maybe ISFP?
Polly: ESFJ
Uncle Andrew: SP for sure. Not sure on the other letters.
Tumnus: (It's been too long since the book for me to remember)
Mr. Beaver: ESFJ
Mrs. Beaver: ESFJ or ISFJ
Aravis: Probably an STP, but I haven't read this book in awhile.
Shasta: (It's been too long since the book for me to remember)
Bree: ENFP, maybe?
Hwin: (It's been too long since the book for me to remember)
Caspian: I want to say an NF of some kind. Perhaps ENFJ.
Trumpkin: An STJ for sure. Not sure of the first letter.
Reepicheep: For sure an EJ. Maybe ESTJ?
Rilian: Not sure.
Tirian: Not sure.
Jewel: Not sure.

The problem with typing the Narnia characters is the books are very short, so we don't have much material to go by. :ymsigh:


~Riella =:)
User avatar
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot
 
Posts: 5885
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.
Gender: Female

Re: The Fascinating World of Personality Types

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Mar 22, 2014 7:21 pm

I think I'd agree with Edmund being ENTP; that feels like a good fit.

Jill's rather tough to type because she's such a damaged girl at the beginning of The Silver Chair, and that affects her behavior. She is bitter. She also tends to be quite emotional, though, as well—she's crying at the beginning of the book, she broke down in a sobbing fit after Eustace fell off the cliff, and she's often struggling not to "blub" in other difficult times. Not exactly a cool-minded executor of what needs to get done. I need to reread The Last Battle again, but at this time, I'm rather tempted to say ISFJ.

It's a bit difficult to type Puddleglum because he is so influenced by the culture of the marsh-wiggles and that really affects how the reader views him, but we do know that he's very dependable and faithful and practical. I was thinking ISTJ, but considering that Puddleglum is noted for his bravery and willingness to embark on such a crazy, dangerous adventure, I think that Ithie is probably on the money with pegging him as ISTP—they're better known for having an adventurous spirit.

Even though Eustace softens up a lot after his experience as a dragon—and thank goodness for that—I'd say he still seems like a T. He tends to come across as the practical, "rational" type—for instance, after Eustace has found Jill crying behind the gym, he starts to say something like there's no good in crying, but then is cut off because Jill snaps at him. That strikes me as a very T thing to say. INTJ feels like a pretty good fit, actually, but I've only read The Silver Chair recently, and still need to do a full reread of the whole series—that might change my opinion.

I think one paragraph that gives a nice little snapshot of the personalities of Jill, Eustace and Puddleglum would be when they've just met Rilian and Lewis tells us what each of their impressions are:

In Chapter Eleven of The Silver Chair, C.S. Lewis wrote:They were thoroughly tired of the Knight's talk before they had finished supper. Puddleglum was thinking, "I wonder what game that witch is really playing with this young fool." Scrubb was thinking, "He's a great baby, really: tied to that woman's apron strings; he's a sap." And Jill was thinking, "He's the silliest, most conceited, selfish pig I've met for a long time."


Puddleglum is analyzing the situation, Eustace is scoffing at Rilian's lack of independence and assertiveness, and Jill seems like she's almost personally offended at Rilian's behavior.

From memory, Shasta strikes me as being an ENFP, but I really need to reread that book, too. It's been a while.

Fun discussion! :)
Image
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
User avatar
The Rose-Tree Dryad
Moderator
 
Posts: 4159
Joined: Aug 21, 2010
Location: A secret garden
Gender: Female

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 9 guests