This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The Fascinating World of Personality Types

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

The Fascinating World of Personality Types

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Feb 04, 2014 2:45 pm

Have you ever taken a test to discover your personality type? There are many different methods of typological assessment, but one of the most popular is the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, normally referred to as MBTI. A good starting point for discovering the study of personality types is this test.

Be wary, though—mistyping can happen! Be sure to read up on the individual types to find out what resonates with you. This page is an excellent resource that offers basic descriptions of the sixteen personality types within MBTI, as well as providing links that branch off into much deeper discussion about each individual type.

I'm an INFJ. (My most recent taking of the above test put me at 89% introverted, 75% intuitive, 38% feeling, and 44% judging.) Even though all of the descriptions of INFJs really resonated with me, I was skeptical about it for a really long time because I'd test as INFP once in a blue moon and I could also identify with many INFP traits. Finally after delving deeper into the cognitive functions, I was able to say once and for all that I'm squarely in the INFJ camp.

If you're someone who wants to understand yourself and other people better, it can be really helpful to learn about personality types. It's great for getting a handle on your strengths and weaknesses, as well as those of the people around you. It's also excellent for writers to study—typing characters is a great way to learn more about how their brains work and what makes them tick!

This thread is for posting your test results, talking about personality types and typology theories in general, as well as even stuff like typing fictional characters and historical figures—basically the entire realm of personality type discussion! If you're having trouble finding your type, this thread could be a good place to get assistance.

Let the discussion begin! :)
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Re: The Fascinating World of Personality Types

Postby Ithilwen » Feb 04, 2014 4:12 pm

I'm an ENFJ. But I got mistyped a lot at the beginning of my journey into personality studies.

Tests gave me mixed results as to whether I was an F or a T. This is because, although I am an F, my T side is very strong. So even though my main focus is on people, helping others, and the more aesthetic side of nature (all of which are "F" qualities); I am also practical, and place great importance on facts and science ("T" qualities).

I also kept getting mistyped as an introvert. I think it's quite common for bookworms, or shy people, to automatically think they are introverts simply because they are quiet, nervous around people, or don't like to party. But what's interesting is that introversion/extroversion has nothing to do with shyness, nor does it have anything to do with what kind of hobbies you have. There are introverts who are loud, boisterous party animals. There are extroverts who sit quietly in corners reading, and get sweaty palms every time someone strikes up a conversation with them. The real determining factor for introversion/extroversion is where you get your energy. For an introvert, going out and being with people - even if they love people and aren't shy around them at all - is exhausting, and requires a time of quiet and solitude afterward to recharge. But for extroverts, being alone day after day is what's exhausting, and prolonged solitude can make them turn to dark thoughts. Even if they hate people, or if they're just so shy that people freak them out, they'll still have to go and be around people for awhile so that the solitude doesn't get the better of them. As for myself, I'm a people-loving extrovert who sometimes suffers from disabling levels of shyness; but when I'm not in a shy mood, I can be open and outgoing to the point of making quite a fool of myself. ;))

~Riella =:)
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby Arwenel » Feb 04, 2014 5:47 pm

I've taken the Myers-Briggs about a dozen times all told, probably, though on different sites and with different phrasing, and have gotten a bunch of different responses. On this occasion, i got I (89%) S (38%) T (55%) P (44%).

Looking over that "personality types" thing didn't help me much, i'm afraid, though i guess ISTP is the most accurate? I am definitely an introvert, but that's about all i'm sure of. I think i split pretty evenly between T and F, and i usually get P as opposed to J*, but N/S is a complete mystery to me.

edit: Totally typed J the first time. Yep, nothing to see here at all ...
I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind
Some come from above, some come from behind
But I've bought a big bat, I'm all ready you see
Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!
~ Dr. Seuss
Arwenel
NarniaWeb Guru
"We Mistborn need not make sense." (BC)

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Feb 05, 2014 1:14 pm

Ithilwen wrote:The real determining factor for introversion/extroversion is where you get your energy. For an introvert, going out and being with people - even if they love people and aren't shy around them at all - is exhausting, and requires a time of quiet and solitude afterward to recharge.

Exactly! There's so much misinformation about extroverts and introverts.

I'm an introverted person, and I love people and would be very unhappy without enough social interaction, but if I've been extroverting myself so much that I'm completely and utterly drained, incoming dialogue can feel like somebody whacking my head with sledgehammer. Well, that might be a little bit of an exaggeration, but there's some truth in there. ;))

Arwenel wrote:Looking over that "personality types" thing didn't help me much, i'm afraid, though i guess ISTP is the most accurate? I am definitely an introvert, but that's about all i'm sure of. I think i split pretty evenly between T and F, and i usually get P as opposed to F, but N/S is a complete mystery to me.

It can be tricky to figure out which categories you belong in! There is a lot of nuance, too, because one function can affect all the other functions in subtle ways. Looking into that was how I finally differentiated myself from being INFP.

Still, these are the basics, and for most people it will be enough to help them accurately type themselves:

Extraversion vs. Introversion
Sensing vs. Intuition
Thinking vs. Feeling
Judging vs. Perceiving

Hope some of that information will be useful to you. :)
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Ryadian » Feb 06, 2014 10:41 am

I have kind of a love/hate relationship with this personality test. While I always get an I, I think I've had every other letter at least once the various times I take this test. :P (Of course, I'm the kind of person who hates yes/no questions on surveys--so many times I wanted to say, "Depends on the situation...." :P ) Today, I got I (56%) S (1%) F (50%) J (44%), which, reading the description, I think describes me fairly well.

Ithilwen wrote:But what's interesting is that introversion/extroversion has nothing to do with shyness, nor does it have anything to do with what kind of hobbies you have. There are introverts who are loud, boisterous party animals. There are extroverts who sit quietly in corners reading, and get sweaty palms every time someone strikes up a conversation with them. The real determining factor for introversion/extroversion is where you get your energy.

I remember being on a camping trip with my brother-in-law (then just my sister's boyfriend) and mentioning that I considered myself an introvert. He was surprised, since (especially at the time!) he knew me as easily excitable and kind of hyperactive, in large part because he only ever saw me when I was around my family. But I do consider myself an introvert--I enjoy spending time with people, but only in small groups of people that I already know fairly well. And yeah, in those contexts, I'm kind of a "loud, boisterous party animal". ;)

A lot of those other categories, though, feel like they depend on either my mood or the situation. For example, with judging vs. perceiving, I like to have things organized and know how things are going, but not so much that I don't procrastinate and realize later, "Oh great, I don't have time to plan it all out". :P I suppose that's, in part, why I seem to get different results whenever I take these tests.... So, basically, I'm still not sure if ISFJ accurately describes me or not. ;))
N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren
Ryadian

Postby Ithilwen » Feb 06, 2014 2:26 pm

Ryadian wrote:A lot of those other categories, though, feel like they depend on either my mood or the situation. For example, with judging vs. perceiving, I like to have things organized and know how things are going, but not so much that I don't procrastinate and realize later, "Oh great, I don't have time to plan it all out". :P I suppose that's, in part, why I seem to get different results whenever I take these tests.... So, basically, I'm still not sure if ISFJ accurately describes me or not. ;))

I'm very much a J, and I'm a chronic procrastinator. ;)) And there are many times that, when I don't have to plan it all out, I actually feel relieved. This is because my mind is so prone to making lists and plans and organizing things, it often gives me a headache. So it feels good being forced to let it go.

P's are much different than this. Much of the time, P's don't want to know what will happen to them, because that will spoil the fun of the adventure. They have difficulty with organization and often don't understand the point of it. "Why do you have to make a schedule/list/plan? Why can't you just... you know... just get out there and take things as they come?" Many of them (SP's in particular) have a free spirit/YOLO thing going on; it's all about living in the moment - following your instincts and impulses - and they can often forget to take consequences into account. That's not to say that all SP's are irresponsible. It's just that "mental shortsightedness" is usually one of the things they struggle with most, and they have to make a conscious effort to take the future into account.

We all have a good deal of each letter in us (for example, we all have a portion of both J and P). But unless our brain is completely divided between two letters (which is very rare) then we do have at least a little bit more of one than the other. The question is, if there was a war between your J side and your P side (or between any of the other letters) which one would win out in the majority of cases? That's what determines your type.

Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Shadowlander » Feb 06, 2014 3:08 pm

It's been a while since I last took this test, but I think I was an INTJ, or something like that. Ithy knows what I am and I don't ;)). When I initially took this test several years back it listed different sorts of jobs I might excel at, or attributes I might have. I came out as a police inspector or some such ;)).
Kennel Keeper of Fenris Ulf

Shadowlander
Moderator Emeritus
This Space For Rent

Postby Ithilwen » Feb 06, 2014 8:25 pm

Shadowlander wrote:It's been a while since I last took this test, but I think I was an INTJ, or something like that. Ithy knows what I am and I don't ;)). When I initially took this test several years back it listed different sorts of jobs I might excel at, or attributes I might have. I came out as a police inspector or some such ;)).

INTJ is actually known as the "Scientist". You got ISTJ, the "Inspector" type, which is part of the "Guardian" group (SJs).

Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Shadowlander » Feb 06, 2014 9:44 pm

Ahh, yes. I had forgotten. 7 years in the military and you'd think I had my acronyms down. So, here's ISTJ - the Duty Fulfiller:

ISTJs are quiet and reserved individuals who are interested in security and peaceful living. They have a strongly-felt internal sense of duty, which lends them a serious air and the motivation to follow through on tasks. Organized and methodical in their approach, they can generally succeed at any task which they undertake.

Yes

ISTJs are very loyal, faithful, and dependable. They place great importance on honesty and integrity. They are "good citizens" who can be depended on to do the right thing for their families and communities. While they generally take things very seriously, they also usually have an offbeat sense of humor and can be a lot of fun - especially at family or work-related gatherings.

Yes

ISTJs tend to believe in laws and traditions, and expect the same from others. They're not comfortable with breaking laws or going against the rules.

That's eerily accurate. I will not willingly break a law unless there is a darned good reason for it, and it better be a whopper of a really good reason.

If they are able to see a good reason for stepping outside of the established mode of doing things, the ISTJ will support that effort.

:)) See above!

However, ISTJs more often tend to believe that things should be done according to procedures and plans. If an ISTJ has not developed their Intuitive side sufficiently, they may become overly obsessed with structure, and insist on doing everything "by the book".

Without any structure it turns into anarchy. Everyone should follow the rules. They're there for a reason, right? Have lots of fun in life, I encourage it, but follow the law, or I'll let you know about it. ;)) Any doubts on that then I can direct you to speak with my friends who will all confirm this repeatedly for you. ;))

Because the ISTJ has such a strong sense of duty, they may have a difficult time saying "no" when they are given more work than they can reasonably handle. For this reason, the ISTJ often works long hours, and may be unwittingly taken advantage of.

Unfortunately true. I'm honor bound to complete a task, after all I accepted it, all I ask is the occasional breather. :P

The ISTJ will work for long periods of time and put tremendous amounts of energy into doing any task which they see as important to fulfilling a goal. However, they will resist putting energy into things which don't make sense to them, or for which they can't see a practical application.

I'm lauded at work for the first part and get an earful for the second half during reviews. My very last review only 2 weeks ago they informed me that I "don't react well to change". I responded that I react perfectly fine to change if it's "smart" change and not needless or outright stupid. It was a fun review. :-$

They prefer to work alone, but work well in teams when the situation demands it.

With most jobs or tasks, unless there's heavy labor involved, I find that the presence of others acts as a bit of an impediment. I love to work on almost all projects solo.

They like to be accountable for their actions, and enjoy being in positions of authority.

Yes and no....I will take a position of authority if it's absolutely needed and I'll be fair and just whether I like my underlings or not, but I prefer to just stay in the background for the most part.

The ISTJ is likely to express their affection through actions, rather than through words.

I feel very awkward talking about feelings and emotional nonsense. I have feelings, of course, but I tend to keep stuff to myself. It's easier for me to give loved ones presents and gifts, or just the simple act of maybe making my wife a meal she really likes, or watching a TV show my daughter loves, then to get all huggy/feely about it. I do get huggy with my kid though. Bite me. :P

Under stress, ISTJs may fall into "catastrophe mode", where they see nothing but all of the possibilities of what could go wrong.

Murphy's Law is real. REAL I TELL YOU! 8-}

ISTJs have an excellent ability to take any task and define it, organize it, plan it, and implement it through to completion. They are very hard workers, who do not allow obstacles to get in the way of performing their duties.

Almost to the point of self-detriment. I focus so intently on any given task that I become almost oblivious to things going on around me. My brother calls it "Hyper Focus". As a result I can majorly excel at one given task that's put in front of me, but it is extremely difficult for me to multitask. I can do one thing at a time flawlessly or I can do a bunch of things in mediocre fashion.

Well, it's a fairly decent (and surprisingly accurate) view of who I am with only a few exceptions. ;))

Shadowlander
Moderator Emeritus
This Space For Rent

Postby IloveFauns » Feb 07, 2014 1:12 am

I tried a different quiz. The big five personality traits(ocean).

Extraversion - Energy, enthusiasm, socialable
Agreeableness - Altruism, helping others, affection, friendliness
Conscientiousness - Control, will, constraint, dependability
Neuroticism - Negative emotions, nervousness
Openness to Experience - Originality, culture, open-minded, intellect

Here is my result:
Extraversion
Extraversion This trait reflects a person's preference for certain kinds of social situations, and how they like to behave in such situations. People high in extraversion are energetic and seek out the company of others. People low in extraversion -- what some might call introverts -- tend to be more quiet and reserved.

You scored average for this trait, suggesting you lead a balanced life between extraversion and introversion.

Agreeableness
Altruism This trait reflects how we tend to interact with others, especially in terms of our altrusim and friendliness. People who score higher in agreeableness tend to be more trusting, friendly and cooperative than others. People who score lower tend to be more aggressive and less cooperative.

You scored average for this trait, suggesting you have average friendliness and agreeableness.

Conscientiousness
Well organized This trait reflects how organized and persistent a person is in pursuing their goals. People who score high on this trait tend to be more methodical, well-organized and dutiful than others. People who score lower tend to be less careful, less focused and more likely to be distracted from tasks.

Attention! You scored really high on this trait, suggesting you're a well-organized, focused and methodical person.

Neuroticism
Stressed This trait reflects the tendency for a person to experience negative thoughts and feelings. People who score high on this trait tend to be more prone to insecurity and emotional distress. People who score lower tend to be more relaxed, less emotional and less prone to distress.

You scored average for this trait, suggesting you've struck a balance between expressing negative emotions and being relaxed.

Openness to Experience
Artist This trait reflects a person's open-mindedness, and interest in culture and art. People who score high on this trait tend to be imaginative, creative, and to seek out cultural and educational experiences. People who score lower on this trait tend to be more down-to-earth, less interested in art and more practical in nature.

You scored average for this trait, suggesting you're balanced between your interest in art, and your interest in more practical things.

I seem to be to be on the fence for most traits.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Reepicheep775 » Feb 07, 2014 6:09 am

I took this test a few times and I get INTJ every time. INTJ is one of the rarest types (but C. S. Lewis was an INTJ!) and I really identify with this type.

I tend to live in my head, in a world of abstract thought and imagination. I'm pretty hopeless when it comes to practical, mundane tasks. I could get good at them if I wanted, but the interest just isn't there. INTJ's use reason to navigate through life, often pushing feelings/emotions to the sidelines and can sometimes appear severe or heartless to others. We are relentless problem-solvers. INTJ's can sometimes feel like aliens among humanity, not understanding or appreciating humanity's arbitrary and illogical social rules. I often get really impatient with F's. INTJ's are also fiercely independent. *says with Arnold Schwarzenegger voice:* "I vork alone". However, the people we do love, we love deeply and faithfully. INTJ's also have good control over their emotions and can appear emotionless to others (but we do have emotions! :p ).

I'm actually having a bit of an existential crisis right now, because I'm an INTJ who doesn't like science and consequently, I don't know what to do with my life. I don't not like science, I just much prefer history, literature, and philosophy, only... good luck getting a job with those.
Reepicheep775
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Ryadian » Feb 07, 2014 10:49 am

Ithilwen wrote:
Ryadian wrote:A lot of those other categories, though, feel like they depend on either my mood or the situation. For example, with judging vs. perceiving, I like to have things organized and know how things are going, but not so much that I don't procrastinate and realize later, "Oh great, I don't have time to plan it all out". :P I suppose that's, in part, why I seem to get different results whenever I take these tests.... So, basically, I'm still not sure if ISFJ accurately describes me or not. ;))

I'm very much a J, and I'm a chronic procrastinator. ;)) And there are many times that, when I don't have to plan it all out, I actually feel relieved. This is because my mind is so prone to making lists and plans and organizing things, it often gives me a headache. So it feels good being forced to let it go.

P's are much different than this. Much of the time, P's don't want to know what will happen to them, because that will spoil the fun of the adventure.

-snip-

We all have a good deal of each letter in us (for example, we all have a portion of both J and P). But unless our brain is completely divided between two letters (which is very rare) then we do have at least a little bit more of one than the other. The question is, if there was a war between your J side and your P side (or between any of the other letters) which one would win out in the majority of cases? That's what determines your type.

Aha, gotcha. :) In which case, I feel more strongly like a J, because I much prefer having a plan to fall back on. :P (I was thinking that, if you're a "true" J, then plans matter so much to you that you're willing to put more effort into it. But maybe I'm just reading into things too much. :P )

IloveFauns: I remember having taken the OCEAN test before, though this was back in 2009 (When I was 18; I've changed a bit since then :P ). I didn't like it as much, though, because it seems like it ranks you in terms of high you score in "good" categories (except for Neuroticism, which it labels as "bad"), and I remember for sure that I didn't rank well in Extraversion or Openness, but did get a high score in Neuroticism. ;)) So maybe (read: probably) I'm just biased, but that test seems a bit more... judgmental than the Myers-Briggs one. ;) Did you take that test online? If so, do you have a link to it? :) I'd like to try it again, see if anything's changed. :P

Reepicheep775: I was wondering where C. S. Lewis was in this. It looks like you and Shadowlander are both in that lucky category. :P And do I understand the struggle there. I got a linguistics degree because it's a combination of the kind of science I actually like and language, and I love working with language. Unfortunately, the best thing to do with a linguistics degree (in my experience) is a) teach linguistics or b) use it kind of like an English degree in terms of finding jobs. :P Did you take the test that The Rose-Tree Dryad listed in the first post? It has a section about what kinds of jobs would be good for your personality type; I thought it was pretty accurate for me. :)
N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren
Ryadian

Postby Ithilwen » Feb 07, 2014 1:14 pm

Keep in mind, you have to take those "Famous People With This Type" lists with a grain of salt. None of those people in history actually took this personality test. It's simply the opinion of the person running the page, based on what they know about that historical figure. They are often incorrect, and each site will type historical figures differently.

With C.S. Lewis, many people automatically list him as an INTJ simply because he liked philosophy and theology, and there is a stereotype that only INTJs are interested in those fields. Which of course, is ridiculous. There is actually much more evidence that suggests C.S. Lewis was an NF.

Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby IloveFauns » Feb 07, 2014 6:27 pm

@Rayadian Here: http://www.outofservice.com/bigfive/ . Some say personality is stable by the ages of around 15 but I am not sure. Other say traits such as neuroticism decreases with age and than becomes stable in mid-twenties(meaning what you score at the age of around 25 is how you are likely to be for the rest of your life).

I did take the myers-briggs test back in highschool psychology.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Arwenel » Feb 08, 2014 11:30 pm

Prayers for Each Myers-Briggs Personality:
(discovered on the Internet, original author unknown)

ISTJ: Lord help me to relax about insignificant details beginning tomorrow at 11:41.23 am e.s.t.

ISTP: God help me to consider people's feelings, even if most of them ARE hypersensitive.

ESTP: God help me to take responsibility for my own actions, even though they're usually NOT my fault.

ESTJ: God, help me to not try to RUN everything. But, if You need some help, just ask.

ISFJ: Lord, help me to be more laid back and help me to do it EXACTLY right.

ISFP: Lord, help me to stand up for my rights (if you don't mind my asking).

ESFP: God help me to take things more seriously, especially parties and dancing.

ESFJ: God give me patience, and I mean right NOW.

INFJ: Lord help me not be a perfectionist. (did I spell that correctly?)

INFP: God, help me to finish everything I sta

ENFP: God, help me to keep my mind on one th-Look a bird-ing at a time.

ENFJ: God help me to do only what I can and trust you for the rest. Do you mind putting that in writing?

INTJ: Lord keep me open to others' ideas, WRONG though they may be.

INTP: Lord help me be less independent, but let me do it my way.

ENTP: Lord help me follow established procedures today. On second thought, I'll settle for a few minutes.

ENTJ: Lord, help me slow downandnotrushthroughwatIdo.

Amen.
I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind
Some come from above, some come from behind
But I've bought a big bat, I'm all ready you see
Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!
~ Dr. Seuss
Arwenel
NarniaWeb Guru
"We Mistborn need not make sense." (BC)

Postby Shadowlander » Feb 09, 2014 8:24 am

INFJ: Lord help me not be a perfectionist. (did I spell that correctly?)

:))

Nicely done! And as an ISTJ I usually say "Please God help me deal with inefficient supervisors handing down silly, and ultimately useless changes to processes that don't need em'". ;))

Shadowlander
Moderator Emeritus
This Space For Rent

Next