This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The Fascinating World of Personality Types

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: The Fascinating World of Personality Types

Postby Arwenel » Jun 28, 2014 10:04 pm

@Ithilwen: back at ya. :)

I looked over some of those Personality Junkie pages ... yipes. It's interesting, but too complex to think about at 12AM after working a shift at Walmart. ;))

Typing fictional characters: ugh. After all the time i spent trying to figure out just my *own* type, the last thing i need to be doing is analyzing the limited information of multiple fictional characters' perspectives ... and yet i'm already trying. ::headdesk::

I'm going to give myself a headache.
I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind
Some come from above, some come from behind
But I've bought a big bat, I'm all ready you see
Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!
~ Dr. Seuss
Arwenel
NarniaWeb Guru
"We Mistborn need not make sense." (BC)

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jun 30, 2014 9:29 pm

Arwenel wrote:Typing fictional characters: ugh. After all the time i spent trying to figure out just my *own* type, the last thing i need to be doing is analyzing the limited information of multiple fictional characters' perspectives ... and yet i'm already trying. ::headdesk::

I'm going to give myself a headache.

Lol, occasionally it can give me a headache as well. ;)) Usually the first thing I want to do when trying to type someone is shine a big, bright white light in their face and ask them a million questions, and you can't exactly do that with fictional characters. :))

Sometimes just googling the character's name with MBTI in the search can give ideas and help you find arguments for how this-or-that type is perfect such-and- such character. There's lots of discussion on the internet about that sort thing; it's probably the national pastime of MBTI fans. ;)) Plus, you can always post the name of the character you're trying to type on here, and if anyone else is familiar with 'em, they might like taking a whack at it. :)
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Arwenel » Jun 30, 2014 9:46 pm

I looked on tumblr; there were two posts. ;)) There's probably more out there if i google it, though.

Some of them are going to be easier to type than others. One guy i just have to figure out which personality type i saw classified as "most nurturing" and i'll have it -- that's him all over.

If anyone here is familiar with Red vs. Blue, i would be both surprised and happy to know about it.
I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind
Some come from above, some come from behind
But I've bought a big bat, I'm all ready you see
Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!
~ Dr. Seuss
Arwenel
NarniaWeb Guru
"We Mistborn need not make sense." (BC)

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jun 30, 2014 10:03 pm

Arwenel wrote:I looked on tumblr; there were two posts. ;)) There's probably more out there if i google it, though.

Some of them are going to be easier to type than others. One guy i just have to figure out which personality type i saw classified as "most nurturing" and i'll have it -- that's him all over.

Hmmm. Well, off the bat I would be tempted to say ISFJ, because that type is actually known as the Nurturer. There are several other types that are known for being nurturing, though. It sounds like it's safe to say that he's a Feeler, at the very least.

While the personality tests often don't yield very accurate results (as you well know ;))), sometimes taking it for a character can offer some insight/ideas, so that's a potential avenue as well.

Arwenel wrote:If anyone here is familiar with Red vs. Blue, i would be both surprised and happy to know about it.

I'm afraid I'm only familiar with it because it's in your signature. ;))
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby 220chrisTian » Jul 22, 2014 2:36 pm

@Ithilwen: Thanks for introducing me to this thread (and the test). :ymhug:

@Reepicheep775 / ILoveFauns: here's a third INTJ! :)

My results = INTJ
Introvert (89%), iNtuitive (12%), Thinking (50%), Judging (67%)
You have strong preference of Introversion over Extraversion (89%)
You have slight preference of Intuition over Sensing (12%)
You have moderate preference of Thinking over Feeling (50%)
You have distinct preference of Judging over Perceiving (67%)

INTJ = The Scientist [lol]
"Independent, original, analytical, and determined. Have an exceptional ability to turn theories into solid plans of action. Highly value knowledge, competence, and structure. Driven to derive meaning from their visions. Long-range thinkers. Have very high standards for their performance, and the performance of others. Natural leaders, but will follow if they trust existing leaders."

I'm introverted and a perfectionist, I value thought over feeling, I have a passion for order, I love to think about big ideas, and I consider myself a leader. Except for the people part, I think ENTP - The Visionary also fits me. The problem is, I have no interest (or skill) in science and technology! I prefer the humanities - art, history, literature, music, religion, etc. :)
220chrisTian

Postby IloveFauns » Jul 22, 2014 7:11 pm

I am interested in both science, technology and the humanities. Except I am not exactly the best at music or art. My skills lie in the science category. I am not really a perfectionist unless it is getting a mat h problem. I don't take maths any more in university but I kind of miss maths riddles and stuff, but not that random stuff about measuring areas under hills.

I was looking through meet-up groups to join and I came across this unexpectedly: http://www.meetup.com/Perth-Myers-Briggs/
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jul 22, 2014 9:42 pm

Hey, 220chrisTian! Welcome to the thread! :-h

220chrisTian wrote:I'm introverted and a perfectionist, I value thought over feeling, I have a passion for order, I love to think about big ideas, and I consider myself a leader. Except for the people part, I think ENTP - The Visionary also fits me. The problem is, I have no interest (or skill) in science and technology! I prefer the humanities - art, history, literature, music, religion, etc.

It would be cool if you're an INTJ! Keep in mind, though, that test is really only good for (potentially!) pointing you in the right direction. In order to be sure of what your personality type is, you've got to delve into something called the cognitive functions. (That page offers some of the best descriptions I've found for cognitive functions, while still being succinct.) If you're interested in reading more about each particular type, I'd definitely recommend the Personality Junkie website. They do an excellent job merging typical personality type descriptions with information about the cognitive functions. This is their page for INTJ.

Since you scored so low on N, it might also be worthwhile to look into ISTJ. Even ENTJ and ESTJ could be worth taking a look at. I know you said that you're an introvert, but a lot of people equate introversion with shyness or quietness, and extroversion vs. introversion really has more to do with where you get your energy. If you're an extrovert and you're drained, you'll seek being around other people to become re-energized, and if you're an introvert and you're drained, you'll need some time alone to recharge.

Good luck with learning all about the fascinating world of MBTI, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask! :D

IloveFauns wrote:I was looking through meet-up groups to join and I came across this unexpectedly: http://www.meetup.com/Perth-Myers-Briggs/

Wow, that's so cool! I need to look for those in my area so I can find some more MBTI-crazy people. ;)) If you decide to go, let us know how it went!

(I got a little bit of a chuckle out of their little graphic on the personality types; "everything has room for improvement" is so my brother. ;)))

In other news, I ran across an interesting feature on a website called Type Logic. If you click on an individual type and then scroll down to the bottom of the page, you'll see a section called "Type Relationships." You have to click on the link listed as "Type Relationships" to understand what each of the words mean. I thought it was a really interesting look at how the types interact with each other, and I thought the relationship spectrum for INFJ rang true for a lot of the relationships I have with other people that I've already typed.
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby IloveFauns » Jul 22, 2014 10:15 pm

I am starting a new job on monday but the meeting is just across the road so if I finish my shift in time I will walk over or if I am not dead from work. At least I know they hold the meetings at my university so I may go to the following one if I can't make this one. Also I hope they don't start asking me too much questions. When I go to such things I only like getting involved by my own choice.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby 220chrisTian » Jul 23, 2014 12:36 pm

Rose-Tree: thanks for the links! I like to be alone at the end of the day... :)

EDIT/UPDATE
I didn't think ISTJ fit me at all. It sounds more like my mother. I adapt pretty easily to climate, surroundings, and circumstances. I'm not a hypochondriac either. In religion and politics, I'm not that adaptable. But I'm still open to change, as long as it's biblical. I'm not gung-ho for man-made traditions. /:)

ILoveFauns: I love math (algebra, trig) and the internet, but anyone with the most basic understanding of science can run circles around me! I only got an A in chemistry because it was math. :p
220chrisTian

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jul 23, 2014 2:20 pm

220chrisTian wrote:Rose-Tree: thanks for the links! I like to be alone at the end of the day... :)

No problem! It sounds like you're probably an introvert, then. :)

220chrisTian wrote:EDIT/UPDATE
I didn't think ISTJ fit me at all. It sounds more like my mother. I adapt pretty easily to climate, surroundings, and circumstances. I'm not a hypochondriac either. In religion and politics, I'm not that adaptable. But I'm still open to change, as long as it's biblical. I'm not gung-ho for man-made traditions. /:)

Weeell, ISTJs aren't necessarily hypochondriacs; that article just says they might have a greater tendency towards that problem than most types. ISTJs also tend to be more conservative in areas that they care about and have history with, so that might fit religion and politics for you. That being said, I'm a big believer in the "aha!" moment—when someone reads a type description and feels like the person who wrote it must know them somehow. Since you feel like ISTJ really isn't a good fit, then it's probably not the right type for you. :)

Since you tested as INTJ and said that ENTP also sounded like a possibility, you might want to look into INTP. INTPs frequently test as INTJs, and they share every single function with ENTP; the top two (dominant and auxiliary) and lower two (tertiary and inferior) are just inverted.

If that doesn't seem like a good fit and you're interested in taking another quiz, give this cognitive functions quiz a try. (Make sure to pay attention to the instructions, though—I kept clicking the wrong thing when I first did it. ;))) It should give me a better idea of your cognitive function stack, and that will help with typing. :)
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby IloveFauns » Jul 23, 2014 6:47 pm

Christian: I got an A in chem because I understood the theory and could get most of the maths type questions right.

I remember always getting comments in my school reports. " She knows what she is talking about when she joins in but doesn't join in enough. Th other students would benefit more if she did"- See I only joined in when I knew I was right and due to being pessimistic this wasn't very often at all.

One of my classes last semester at university was terribly annoying. No one would ever say anything, so I had to blab on when ever they asked questions. That was really annoying. Hopefully this semester I don't have too many classes like that.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby 220chrisTian » Jul 24, 2014 2:05 pm

Rose-Tree: I thought INTP fit me pretty well. I just don't like the website's non-religious and political overtones. :|

ILoveFauns: I didn't really understand the theories. Like, what is a mole? And how do electricity and radio waves work? I'm not a group worker either.

UPDATE: results of Jungian quiz

Based on your cognitive functions, your type is most likely:
Most Likely: INFP
or Second Possibility: INTJ
or Third Possibility: ENFP

Your cognitive functions are, in order of development:
Fi - Ni - Ne - Ti - Se - Si - Te - Fe

[I answered 5 to most of the questions. I don't like the either/or business.]
220chrisTian

Postby Narnian_Badger » Jul 25, 2014 8:29 am

220chrisTian wrote:The problem is, I have no interest (or skill) in science and technology! I prefer the humanities - art, history, literature, music, religion, etc. :)

No worries on this angle!

I think the suggestions about interests are probably the least helpful thing in terms of typing in the Myers-Briggs. Certain ways of thinking may seem to naturally fit one particular field, but it's not always the case. For example, I'm an INTJ, and while I love science and technology, my heart's in the humanities. And in those, I can tell that I do approach things a little differently than my cohorts. I'm much more logical and thorough, and my intuitive leaps often come from different starting points as opposed to my friends. However, it's that difference that helps me to make connections and ideas that others wouldn't, just like they can come up with ideas that I wouldn't.

So basically, never fear if your type doesn't necessarily match up with your preferred pastime. ;)
Narnian_Badger
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jul 25, 2014 1:05 pm

220chrisTian wrote:Rose-Tree: I thought INTP fit me pretty well. I just don't like the website's non-religious and political overtones. :|

Would you say that INTP fits you better than INTJ? (Even though you scored quite high on Judging in the original test, there's a lot of nuance when we're talking about introverted judgers and perceivers, and it's easy to mistype on.)

If I find any other good websites for detailed descriptions, I'll let you know. :)

220chrisTian wrote:Based on your cognitive functions, your type is most likely:
Most Likely: INFP
or Second Possibility: INTJ
or Third Possibility: ENFP

Your cognitive functions are, in order of development:
Fi - Ni - Ne - Ti - Se - Si - Te - Fe

Hmmm! Maybe you should take a look at INFP as well and see if that resonates with you.

Narnian_Badger wrote:I think the suggestions about interests are probably the least helpful thing in terms of typing in the Myers-Briggs. Certain ways of thinking may seem to naturally fit one particular field, but it's not always the case. For example, I'm an INTJ, and while I love science and technology, my heart's in the humanities.

Also, isn't C.S. Lewis frequently typed as an INTJ? And he himself admitted that he wasn't much of an expert on science, if I'm not mistaken. Of course, I can't say that I know enough about the man to type him accurately. I need to remedy this! If Lewis is an INTJ, then that may partly explain why he's such a successful apologist: like you and your group of friends, he offers insights/ideas and makes connections that are missed by many people in the realm of theology.
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Oct 11, 2014 4:34 pm

Speaking of C.S. Lewis's personality type, I saw something today that I found interesting. I stumbled across a blog article about why writing may be difficult for INFJs (fitting with NaNo right around the corner, eh? ;))), and one paragraph in it reminded me strongly of a quote by C.S. Lewis about how the Narnia books came to be.

The Blogger wrote:When I got to the end of writing my second novel, I kept seeing images in my mind of a giant bull, and then a harpy, and then a lace shawl. These images came on very strongly, and repeated themselves in a cycle. When I was younger, and had less experience with myself and with writing, I dismissed these “mind-pictures” as strange or irrelevant. But in this instance, I sat down and wrote, letting the images take me where they would. It turned out that my story ended with the villain transforming into a monstrous creature that was half Minotaur and half Harpy. And guess what this monster was wearing when the hero took it down? A blood-spattered lace shawl. Weird, yes. But definitely creative.

And we have these passages from C.S. Lewis's short essay, "It All Began with a Picture"...

C.S. Lewis wrote:All my seven Narnian books, and my three science fiction books, began with seeing pictures in my head. At first they were not a story, just pictures. The Lion all began with a picture of a Faun carrying an umbrella and parcels in a snowy wood. This picture had been in my mind since I was about sixteen. Then one day, when I was about forty, I said to myself: 'Let's try to make a story about it.'

At first I had very little idea how the story would go. But then suddenly Aslan came bounding into it. I think I had been having a good many dreams of lions about that time. Apart from that, I don't know where the Lion came from or why He came. But once He was there He pulled the whole story together, and soon he pulled the six other Narnian stories in after Him.

See the similarities there? That's not at all to say that Lewis was an INFJ; most people type him as an INTJ. Based on my general knowledge of the man, that seems to be accurate.

The interesting thing, though, is that INFJs and INTJs both have the same dominant function: introverted intuition. Mysterious and often working in the subconscious, introverted intuition (or Ni) is related to symbols, visions and metaphors, among many other things. (Ni is often considered to be the most difficult function to describe, but this article does a very good job for those interested in learning more.)

The entirety of "It All Began with a Picture" is, in and of itself, a rather excellent description of someone using Ni, so I am not at all surprised that people type him as INTJ. Seems to be right on the mark!
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Queen Susan » Oct 14, 2014 8:36 am

What? So far the only ISFP? Oh well. :)

Since a fellow Narniawebber introduced me to Myers-Briggs a few years ago, I've been pretty interested. Most of my siblings are pretty cynical of the idea; "How can you categorize everyone into just 16 categories?" but... I think it's fairly consistent from what I've seen so far. Obviously I would say your personality/type could change and merge, etc. over time.

A few fun articles I've found recently:

What Job is Best for Your Personality?
http://www.bustle.com/articles/42982-what-job-is-best-for-your-personality-this-chart-might-tell-you

and Decorating for Your Personality
http://mrsfancee.com/decorating-personality/

I wouldn't say these are spot on, but they're interesting/amusing if nothing else.

I also found the book "The Art of Speedreading People" to be helpful in understanding the whole system and be able to maybe figure out what family/friends are as well. Anyone else read it?
Queen Susan
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Whistling Welcomer

PreviousNext